Start by marking “Meg: The Trench” as Want to Read:
Meg: The Trench

Meg: The Trench

(MEG #2)

In this thrilling sequel to Steve Alten's sci-fi thriller, MEG: Deep Terror, paleobiologist and Megaladon expert Jonas Taylor must face his deepest fears in order to save his job, his family, and himself.

Four years after the incident at the Mariana Trench that unleashed a pregnant Megaladon, Jonas Taylor now houses her one surviving offspring at the Tanaka Institute. Deep
Published September 22nd 2013 by Gere Donovan Press (first published 1996)

Trish
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I like b-movies no matter how unrealistic, so of course I keep reading this series.

In this second book, which takes place some 4 years after the first, the former baby megalodon is in the artificial lagoon, a grown female now. She's an attraction, a bit like the dinosaurs in the various Jurassic Park movies. A lot of corporate and legal blablabla later and she escapes. Cue second hunt and more bloodshed.
Then, there is a, shall we say, mind-bending evil plot and corresponding espionage (th
Bradley
Oh, wow, what did I just read? Was this about a megashark or was it REALLY a discount-rate James Bond adventure under the sea?

Hmmm. Not telling!

*looks to either side, then up and to the left*

Really! It's NOT just a discount-rate James Bond adventure with hokey science, stretchable wild situations, Russian femme fatales, or overblown (and frankly boring) manufactured pathos.

Truly.

Ah, well, my megashark has interesting competition/snacks. Am I talking about another Trench species, or am I talking
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Guilty pleasure prehistoric shark novel. With espionage, mad scientists, and conspiracy theories galore. But I'm here for the sharks.

SHAAAARKS.

Sharks are cool.

I think this sums it up.

(I swear I'm sober- I'm just tired lol).
Cathy (cathepsut)
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, read-2018
„Nearly seven miles of water above their heads, sixteen thousand pounds per square inch of water pressure surrounding them.“
Here we go again...

Right off the bat we had characters that really needed to die. And the guy that kept quoting Latin needed to die especially hard. Drove me up the wall.

The depiction of women didn‘t improved from the first book. There are several gems like this one:
„A woman’s love for a man dies when her partner stops paying attention to her.“
Argh. Even for 1997, when thi
Dennis
Not as good as the first book.

The beginning was interesting enough. With the meg trapped in the artificial lagoon for the entertainment of the masses. Trying to find a way out, of course.

But this wasn't Jurassic Park with sharks.

At some point Alten decided to introduce new "characters" all the time and then kill them off in the same chapter.
While it was entertaining, it also got pretty repetitive.

The overarching spy story suffered from a lack of tension and interesting characters.

Somehow it was
Neko Neha (BiblioNyan)
The Trench by Steve Alten is the sequel novel to Meg , which is a science-fiction thriller novel about the megalodon (i.e.: ancient, supposedly extinct, Super Saiyan shark the size of Vegeta's pride). The book takes place four years after the events of Meg . I'm not going to provide a synopsis because I don't want to give any spoilers to the original novel.

I'm going to admit this first: I really enjoyed this book, maybe even a bit more than the first novel, which is saying a lot because I f
♛ Garima ♛
A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but one.

Series still growing strong with #2 installment of MEG series.

Expecting more mysterious creatures to surface in future...
☣Lynn☣
My least favorite book out of the whole series. Just totally different from the first book.
Daniel
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this one. This was another really fun book! The events of the first one as I have detailed in the review for Meg, continue on here. Angel, the offspring of the massive creature from the first book has grown into a 72 foot long Megalodon, even larger than her mother. Jonas Taylor and Masao Tanaka have kept the creature safe, healthy and growing, but it has changed its behavior. Wealthy investors have funded the arena built around Angel's holding lagoon to create a money making oppor ...more
Guera25
Jun 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Story He Meant to Write:

Daring, manly scientist relentlessly pursues prehistoric shark on an all-consuming vengeance quest after evil shark mistakes his noble, spunky brother-in-law for slightly-chewy apertif. Meanwhile his beautiful, feisty wife uncovers world-threatening plot by sociopathic mastermind. Both are imperiled by their brave stands, and their epic love endures many tests as they heroically save the day. Heroically.

The Story He Wrote:

Weedy, emo navel-gazer wallows in self-pity an
Jim C
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd book in a series. A huge prehistoric shark gets loose and causes havoc in the deep blue sea. The main character is determined to stop the mammoth beast. This book is a decent read. It is a light read and is not meant to be taken serious. It has your heroes and it has bad guys (not including the shark). The author did a good job describing the attack scenes and I will continue with the series.
Michael
Aug 23, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
This book sucks. I only read 100 pages. You'd think a book about a ravenous prehistoric shark would be exciting, but...guess again. I hope the author gets eaten.
Scott Rhee
Apparently, hunting prehistoric giant sharks can save a marriage. This is the adorable take-away from Steve Alten’s ridiculously pulpy novel “The Trench”, which is the second book in his strangely addictive MEG series. (The first book is now a major motion picture starring Jason Statham.)

I’m not sure why I love these books so much, although I’m thinking part of the reason is because Alten is a much smarter writer than he lets on. He tells a damn good fish story, with plenty of action and sea-far
Russ
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was more uneven than the first one, but I still liked it.

Jonas has nightmares of him and his second wife Terry Tanaka dying in a submersible in the Mariana Trench. His fixation with megalodons threatens to damage their waking marriage. Jonas insists on personally supervising the reinforcement of the security barrier that keeps MEG's daughter Angel in Sea World-style captivity.

Meanwhile, Benedict, a super-villain and billionaire patron of the Tanaka Institute summons Jonas for advice on a sp
Samantha
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More like ZERO STARS.

This book was awful on so many levels. Spoilers for your protection...

1) A book about a killer giant shark really ought to have MORE killer giant shark that horrible, poorly written plots and subplots featuring Russian terrorists with bad accents.
2) This book comes across as little more than adolescent male rape fantasy:
a) The protagonist's wife (I cannot deign to call her a heroine) managed to get herself trapped underwater with the enemy and was stalked by a Russian thug
Robjr73
Well I read a lot of horror and put very few 5 star reviews out there. Alten's first book in the series, MEG, I gave five stars for basically scaring the crap out of me. This is the first sequel to that book and I wasn't quite as thrilled. Biggest reason for this was the subplot that had nothing to do with the shark. In a nutshell you get corny villains that involve a ridiculous terrorist plot involving...wait for it...Bin Laden...yep...he's indirectly a part of this book. If you take all that n ...more
Victoria
More exciting and dramatic than the first book in the series, Meg, this second book still wasn’t quite as exciting as I expected it to be from the hints in the third book, MEG: Primal Waters. So, I wouldn’t recommend reading them out of order, because I don’t think I would have been disappointed at all had I just read the books in order. I do hope that the series continues into a fourth volume. It is a lot of shark-filled fun! And a wonderful summer read!
Di
More like a 3.5

I felt this installment had 2nd book syndrome. It wasn't as good as the first one was for me. Though it was still enjoyable, I didn't like the alternating POV every chapter. I felt that due to this, I lost some of the flow to the story and I was more interested in one POV than the other. I definitely recommend these books over Jaws, which I also read this month and I'm looking forward to the next installment of this series.
Ethan Parkin
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After 100 pages or so of shaky character motivations and weird subplots I did find myself rapping my knuckles on the front of the book and asking "You do plan to have a giant shark? In your giant shark book, yes? Hello?"
Ryan
A good summer read and a great follow up to Alten's Meg. This time around our monster shark with the demons grin escapes from the Tanaka Institute and begins to wreak the havoc we all want and need all over the ocean. Jonas has to face his fears and go after the shark while his wife Terry gets trapped in an underwater lab with a couple psychopaths. Oh, and some other carnivorous dino-fish.

The action set pieces are really fun and well written. They pop up frequently enough during the books lengt
Ross Vincent
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I spent part of Shark Week reading a book about Sharks.
And starting this year, I threw myself in the Meg Series. I had previous read the first book almost 20 years ago, and had to go back and listen to the audiobook, to refresh my memory. (#SoManyBooksReadSinceThen).

Many years have passed since Meg terrorized the ocean. And while her body is dead, her offspring is alive and now the main attraction at a sea-side aquarium. But she has other ideas about her continued captivity.

Meanwhil
Richard Schwindt
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Steve Alten because he writes in the ginormous bloodthirsty sea creature genre I so love. And I enjoyed this Meg sequel on a beach in the Dominican Republic. A traumatized Jonas Taylor is back and worrying about the ginormous bloodthirsty spawn of the same. An eccentric billionaire with ill intent has taken control of the said fish, and aquarium. Needless to say, the creature does not stay confined and havoc follows. The book is decently written and the technical stuff is good, but in the ...more
Joeri Ryckaseys
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leest als een trein... een hogesnelheidstrein! Echt een schitterend vervolg op A novel of deep terror. Ongelooflijk hoe Steve Alten je in spanning kan houden. Hij combineert de ravage van de Megalodon met de corruptie van de mens. Dat beest volgt gewoon z'n instinct en kan je eigenlijk niet veel kwalijk nemen... maar de mens volgt zijn ego en daardoor loopt er van alles fout. Ik heb echt genoten van dit boek en zat verschillende keren op het puntje van m'n stoel. Heerlijk boek :)
BJ
The second in this series about prehistoric great white sharks found in the Mariana Trench. Maybe a little bit of a stretch, but totally engrossing. Read this one basically in one day. Read a few pages the night before, but read most of the day on my day off. Totally pulled me in and held me there. Will definitely go on to read #3. I gave it 3 stars, but I could have given it 4. It was a real guilty pleasure!
David Veith
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Less scientific stuff than the first but enough to keep you up to speed. Can't wait to read the rest
Ashton Noel
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobooks for the Meg series are really good. Excited to try out book 3!
Natalie
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was recommended to me by my sister. I'm not one for these thriller types, but since I have a strange fear-fascination with sharks, I couldn't resist.

I haven't yet read the first Meg book. This one came to me in a pile of used books by someone and I thought, oh well, might as well jump right in. I'd already finished Jurassic Park and lived to tell the tale, so why not give Mega go?

Like a lot of authors, Alten wrote this book as a stand-alone. You didn't need to have read the first one
Kelly Bolduc
I'm REALLY enjoying this shark thriller follow up to Meg. You must remember though it's called The Trench, not Angel or Meg 2. It's still just as good although I really (I don't see this opinion changing) hate Celeste (You should), She is a nasty bitch. but here is the thing, she is JUST LIKE Maggie from Meg, Jonas' dead bitch of a wife. Not much of a character difference between them. So I am disappointed that Steve didn't make Celeste more venomous in this book. There were many opportunities t ...more
Dan Willimont
2 Stars might be generous.
I normally like 'guilty pleasure' reads where you do not need to think much and the story is about action or relaxation. Having read the first in the series I knew the quality of writing would not be great but this effort was very poor. Misuse of words such as 'literally' (in the narrative, not in dialogue) and describing a character's emotional reaction to a scene as, "Devon freaked out." is so lazy it detracts from what is only an average storyline. The heroes of the
Kara Davis
Not impressed. The first MEG was awesome. All shark and less drama. The Trench is a modernized action pack version of Jaws in the sense that its 25% shark, 75% wife that the reader doesn't care about. If I am going to read a cheesy shark book that's what I want. SHARK. Not over the top characters, not marital drama, not a climax that involves incest and a one paragraph "the shark eats the bitch hoorah" that everyone saw coming. I felt like I was reading an entirely different author. I am going t ...more
Entretendio 1 2 Jun 30, 2017 04:53PM
  • The Rip-Off
  • Hotel Megalodon
  • Jaws The Revenge
  • Fragment
  • Sharcano (Sharkpocalypse Trilogy, #1)
  • Extinction Event (Primeval, #7)
  • Mega (Mega, #1)
  • Faithful Shadow
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
Steve Alten grew up in Philadelphia, earning his Bachelors degree in Physical Education at Penn State University, a Masters Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Delaware, and a Doctorate of Education at Temple University. Struggling to support his family of five, he decided to pen a novel he had been thinking about for years. Working late nights and on weekends, he eventually finished ...more

MEG (6 books)
  • Meg (MEG, #1)
  • Primal Waters (MEG #3)
  • Hell's Aquarium (MEG #4)
  • Nightstalkers (MEG, #5)
  • Generations (MEG #6)
“Doesn’t matter,” Maren said. “As long as the wolf enters the pen, who cares if it happens to eat the sheep?” Mac shook his head. “You can bet your ass the sheep cares.” 0 likes