Start by marking “The Public Bank Solution: From Austerity to Prosperity” as Want to Read:
The Public Bank Solution: From Austerity to Prosperity

The Public Bank Solution: From Austerity to Prosperity

WHAT WALL STREET DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW. Shock waves from one Wall Street scandal after another have completely disillusioned us with our banking system; yet we cannot do without banks. Nearly all money today is simply bank credit. Economies run on it, and it is created when banks make loans. The main flaw in the current model is that private profiteers have acquired con ...more
Published November 7th 2013 by Third Millennium Press

To ask other readers questions about The Public Bank Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Public Bank Solution

Start your review of The Public Bank Solution: From Austerity to Prosperity
Martin Malo
This book is a knocker. I'm 44 and have spent years studying philosophy, popular science and history books and this one is definitely on my «Top 5 Most Impactful books of my life». Having read it feels like I (and almost everybody else) have been unknowingly blinded to what money and DEBT really are all my life.

I didn't know anything about world finance and monetary systems at the time I read it; now it's a whole different story. The book is packed with useful infos, a nice glossary (for neophy
Bill Gormanous
Jan 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
No solutions here...but a star for recognizing there is a problem

A pretty naked appeal to continue the system that has destroyed us. Has Ellen Brown ever met a government lackey my she didn't want to turn us over to?
She even finds time to defend the virtues of Continental paper issues. I quit reading so I don't know if she has a chapter on the beauty of Germany's post WWI hyperinflation....but I swear I wouldn't be surprised.
Shira
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is essentially the same thing that J.K. Galbraith said. Essential reading, and essential action -bank small, and with awareness.
For Community,
Shira of The MEOW Community Cooperation Blog
MEOW Date: 6.9 12014 H.E.
Patricia Hilliard
This book will knock your socks off! Here's an example: This book says that Banks make Money out of NOTHING. After reading this book, you will know how true this is. Just knowing this is worth a million dollars! You are off to a good start. Biggest secret revealed: The war against Iran and Iraq was not about oil, it was about BANKING. All wars are about BANKING. Get this book and know why.
Matthew Hall
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
This book was... not great. I wanted read an academic take on public banking, state banking and the possibilities for modern monetary theory, as well as the history of money/debt/commerce (it reminds me I need to finish David Graeber's "Debt: The First 5000 years").

But this is not that book. There was a bunch of info about early banking experiments from China to Renaissance Italy to Colonial America. Interesting stuff. The problem is that it comes couched between what seems to veer perilously c
Steve A.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sam Hummel
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This gets 5 stars because the information you will find in this book can hardly be found anywhere else, much less so well organized and presented. What will you find? Nothing more than the solution to debt-based monetary system that is destroying lives and our planet. But it's not some pie-in-the-sky solution. Ellen Brown painstakingly documents dozens and dozens of examples of the solution deployed successfully in countries and communities around the world. We need a lot more smart people who u ...more
Brennan Lauritzen
Jan 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all confirmation bias WITHOUT NUANCE. Read if you want to get the liberal version of the Free Market Institute ideologues.

If you want to read a female economist read "what would the great economists do." If you want to read the politically liberal perspective, most economists are democrats (-econtalk, Russ Roberts), but Krugman is a respectable economist who actively advocates.

The Public Banking Solution uses (admittedly engrossing) conspiracy theory (banking systems causing war, ne
Emily Giuffre
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm no expert with numbers, but Brown gives an excellent overview and history of money and of the banking system. Starting off with the popping of the 2008 house market bubble, she goes back to the beginning of the known banking systems around the world, compares and weighs in what worked and what didn't. I recommend this book to everyone, even if you feel banking and numbers elude you. Our real enemies are not random guys in caves, but the empty suits that run Wall Streets.
Will Sync
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trews
The path out of debt on a epic scale.
Blair

• Steppenwolf
  • Notes from Underground
  • A Pedagogy for Liberation: Dialogues on Transforming Education
  • The Phoenix Program: America's Use of Terror in Vietnam
  • Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right
  • 1919
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
  • In Defense of Housing: The Politics of Crisis