Start by marking “The Tearings (The Tearings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tearings (The Tearings, #1)

The Tearings

(The Tearings #1)

From the moment the black vans appear to take the sick away, Maya knows there is something wrong. A high school sophomore, she seems to be the only one to question the sudden disappearances at school and the masks everyone is forced to wear to keep from catching the new disease spreading through the entire United States. Even when word of the new “healing centers” reaches ...more
Published November 22nd 2013 by Evernight Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Tearings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tearings

Sasha Hibbs
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Tearings moved me to tears. VC Repetto’s gripping debut novel took me to dark places where unexpected glimpses of hope lingered reminding me that in humanities darkest hour, a small light can shine within us all.
The Tearings begins with Maya, a normal seventeen-year-old girl with a very normal seventeen-year-old life. She’s on the swim team, has normal teenage emotions, has friends, enjoys going to the movies…and in one cough Maya’s world is ripped from her.
Maya is forced in a “healing cen
Victoria
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Tearings was a very good book. The setup was good, the characters interesting and the plot captivating. As I was reading the book and realizing it was about to end, I was just begging that the book wouldn’t end soon. I really enjoyed it, you see. I wanted to learn more, unravel the mystery together with Maya.

From the start, the book captivated me. I liked the confusion that I felt as I was thrown into the book. I desperately wanted to know what was going on

I really enjoyed the character deve
Corina
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween-hop
The Tearings

Holy crap this book was terrifying!

Okay, okay not terrifying, but seriously freaky. The Tearings follows 16-year-old Maya as a deadly virus strikes her home town and then spreads across the U.S. When Maya catches the disease and gets taken by the black vans and forced into one of the many “healing center” it’s only a matter of time before the disease claims her.

But when Maya suddenly becomes the disease’s only survivor, she must put her trust on David, the man running the healing cen
Star
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A vicious and virulent disease, called The Tearings, is ripping through the population. People start disappearing off the street, neighbors and friends turn on one another, and everyone is forced to wear masks. When Maya is reported by her neighbors, a black van comes for her and her mother taking them to a ‘healing center’. These ‘healing centers’ are no more than death camps where the guards treat the residents like they are no longer human, pit them against other residents, work them to the b ...more
Claire Carey
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
as much as I enjoyed this book I feel that it was too similar to the plagues in history (ignoring the tearing skin parts) and true life stories we have about concentration camps.
I feel that to make the story better the author could have used some more original ideas regarding the containment of the victims and of the illness it self. That said, it is a good modern way to bring to life 2 very real historic events that caused such losses.
Tracey Lampley
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
V.C. Repetto’s The Tearings was heart-pounding and chilling. The main character’s wit in a life-or-death situation was refreshing. I recommend this book because the plot and characterization was very good. I can’t wait for another Repetto book. I rate this book a four out of five stars!
Calweis
Barbara Zitsch
Ashley E
Stephen
Dec 03, 2013
“The teachers skirted our questions as best they could, though I was sure it was more from their own ignorance about what was going on than from the need to keep us in the dark. They carried on with classes, ignoring the few vacant seats, but it was hard to miss the slight pause in their lectures when a student sneezed or coughed.” 1 likes