Start by marking “The Magic of Oz (Oz, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Magic of Oz (Oz, #13)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Magic of Oz (Oz #13)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  4,583 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
A young citizen of Oz who learns an important magic word falls prey to the wickedness of the Nomes' ex-king who wants to destroy Dorothy, the Wizard, and Princess Ozma.
Mass Market Paperback, 234 pages
Published January 12th 1981 by Del Rey (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic of Oz

Evgeny
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A lazy good-for-nothing inhabitant of the Land of Oz
lazy
stumbled upon a magic work which transforms anything and anybody into anything and anybody. The guy completely lacked any ambition whatsoever so it would not be too bad, but he teamed up with a bad and ambitious villain from the previous books. They had the means of conquering the Emerald City and the whole land.

At the same time back in Emerald City Ozma’s birthday was coming. Everybody was busy trying to figure out what to give her as a prese
Shoshana
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorite
This is a good classic Oz story. There is some wandering around, an overarching (though ludicrously unimportant) goal (really? you wrote a whole book about looking for birthday presents for Ozma?), my favorite villain (Ruggedo all the way! although I really enjoy Kaliko's three trial rooms in Rinkitink), jungle animals, and a really really cool plant. Plus more of the Glass Cat! (Although, as I remembered, her pink brains are back; Baum seems to have [conveniently?] forgotten that he had the Wiz ...more
Sep 22, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wanda, Gundula
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.
J. Boo
I could've sworn I read all of Baum's original Oz books as a kid, but "The Magic of Oz" was too unfamiliar for this to be true.

Not great literature, but a few creative elements -- the Lonesome Duck, the magic flower, the Glass Cat -- move this a bit above OK.

2.8/5

Available on Gutenberg.
Allison
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books-read
Ruggedo makes another appearance in this story, as do Cap'n Bill, Trot, and the Glass Cat. Young Kiki Aru is an interesting character--early in the book he says "I didn't know I was being wicked, but if I was, I'm glad of it. I hate good people. I've always wanted to be wicked, but I didn't know how." Yikes. He is eerily emotionally detatched from his role in Ruggedo's plans to take over Oz, though he agrees to them without much persuasion. He has great power with his knowledge of the unpronounc ...more
Grace
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
I was obsessed with all things Oz while I was growing up.
I wasn't allowed to watch the film for years, so in the meantime I wrote stories about what I thought Oz would be like.
Finally I watched the film at age seven, and then I also read the first book.
The book is very, very different from the film!
After reading the first book, I would scour the Borders shelves for more Oz books. I was fascinated by how many there were!
Usually fiction depressed me, because often there is only one story and it do
Garrett Zecker
Doma Publishing's Wizard of Oz collection has taken me several years to read with my son at bedtime. It was interesting revisiting the texts that I read swiftly through my youth, as I was about his age when I read them and remembered little beyond some of the characters that don't appear in any of the books. I picked up a copy of this version since, for 99c, I could have the complete series along with "All the original artwork by the great illustrator W.W. Denslow (over 1,000 classic illustratio ...more
Danns
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While ferreting out the order of the books I happened upon the fact that this was one of the darker books of the Oz series, and I must agree. Now granted, darker is a bit subjective here, and it's not "King" or "Barker" dark, but for a children's book, it can get a somewhat grim. The story starts off with Kiki Aru stealing away some magical secrets put to rest by his family and using his new found transformation magic to run off and explore the world. He meets up with Rugedo the former gnome kin ...more
Joni
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, classics, fiction
Ugh. Baum is definitely back to his old tricks with this one. Another pointless story related to celebrating Ozma's birthday. If Baum had to pick one of his Oz books to reprise, why on earth did he pick The Road to Oz, which in my opinion is the worst one?! I rated this one slightly better because there was a little bit more of an actual story, and two major plotlines were woven together pretty well. However, I didn't like the expanded use of magic in this one - if they can pull out magic to get ...more
Grace
Another cute Oz story, but not at all my favorite. The plot was thin (thinner than usual - the "main plot" was Dorothy and Trot going on a quest to find a birthday present for Ozma.) The subplot had more potential - a selfish Munchkin boy who gets ahold of a magic word of transformation, and he reluctantly teams up with the Nome King on a quest to conquer the Emerald City. While that plot had more potential (and had some really clever and suspenseful moments), the Munchkin and Nome were vanquish ...more
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally. This review covers all 14 of the Baum Oz books, which is why it's found on all 14 book pages here.)

I think it's fairly safe by now to assume that nearly everyone in Western society is familiar with The Wizard of Oz, most of us because of the classic 1939 movie adaptation; and many realize as well tha
Zemkat

"But now, O mighty Wizard, you must come with me to where six of my people are transformed into six great giant men," he said, "for if they are allowed to remain there, their happiness and their future lives will be ruined."

The Wizard did not reply at once, for he was thinking this a good opportunity to win Rango's consent to his taking some monkeys to the Emerald City for Ozma's birthday cake.

The Wizard of Oz is kind of a jerk. He's not planning on cooking the monkeys; just shrinking them, and
Stephanie Ricker
Finding presents for Ozma's birthday is a pretty flimsy excuse for a story, seeing as how she's an immortal fairy and all, but I guess Baum was running a little low on ideas to get folks out of the Emerald City and into the Oz hinterlands at this point. He was definitely running out of villains; the Nome King gets recycled yet again and is defeated in the same way as before. But the magic flower on the island was a neat touch.
Joey Barron
This book probably would have been more enjoyable had I been more familiar with Baum's previous works in the series and not just Judy Garland.

It is interesting to note that there is no currency in the Land of Oz and the final chapter of the story was about the Fountain and Water of Oblivion and transformation.
Nicole
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adi
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about this book was that there were hardly any new characters, so the reader gets to spend more time with the already familiar characters. There were some elements of the plot, which were a bit weird, but overall the story was ok.
Hannah
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75
Olivia
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este cuento me ha sorprendido mucho. Aunque no deja de ser un cuento para peques, tiene muchos mensajes ocultos, sutiles. Es inspirador.
Froxis
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you get the girl who has everything? Well this wonderful addition to the Oz series...
Vale Margot
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me cayo muy infantil, y eso fue lo que en algunas partes me saturaba un poco, pero fuera de eso, es una buena historia llena de imaginacion.
Feliz de haber leido por fin El Mago de Oz.
Gloriamarie
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-story
I remember how absolutely delighted I was a child to discover that there were lots and lots of Oz books.

I have turned to them for a comfort read and they still delight me.
Cadi Weaver
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another treat! I loved the magic plant that kept transforming into different flowers, and the magic word that changed anyone into anything :)
Heather
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with the other Oz books, L. Frank Baum proves he’s a genius at writing a children’s book that is still engaging for an adult to read. It is rather predictable (nothing bad ever happens for long in Oz), but in a good way. The Magic of Oz is a short, fun read sure to delight everyone who reads it.
Tony Laplume
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this penultimate L. Frank Baum contribution to the Oz series (his publisher immediately signed someone to continue cranking them out), more errant magic is revealed, and Ozma's friends go to extraordinary lengths to obtain unique gifts for her next birthday party (the last one was featured in Road to Oz).

What fascinates about this one is that the plot of the villains is so easily and abruptly concluded, having been so ineptly carried out by the one-time Nome King and his would-be accomplice,
Ross Anderson
Don't get me wrong. I liked it. I like all of Baum's books. I just don't like the more unfortunate aspects of the series, and this book in particular. The anticlimactic ending, for example. Or the easy dismissal of the story's villains. Or the pedantic obsession with the "lovely girl ruler of Oz's" birthday party gifts. Or the chronic contempt for continuity.

Baum is second-to-none at character creation and he crafts comedic dialogue with the ease of a veteran hopscotch player. But some of his tr
Ira Livingston
The Magic of Oz approaches through the view point of the villains of the story.

Eventually because of the problems they create it ties into the main characters at the Emerald City that we are familiar with.

Enjoyable but not my favorite.
Jeff
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My journey of Oz books with my children, has lead us to L. Frank Baum's penultimate volume, "The Magic of Oz". One of my all time favorites of the series, this book really highlights how Mr. Baum had grown as an author. He is able to carry two and sometimes even three plots simultaneously with a great deal of success. Some of this I attribute to his long career as an author and some I attribute to the time has was able to devote to this book. Baum had been relatively sick for the majority of his ...more
Julia
The Kindle Oz books and I am sure some of the re-makes that are done without pictures are definitely doing these books injustice. The cute and whimsical pictures that adorn the Oz books can of course sometimes be found online but it just isn't the same at all when you have to read something then look it up online but to find the actual Oz originals without costing an arm and a leg is going to be close to impossible.

This was perhaps one of the rougher books for me to get into for every time I t
Miranda
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-for-a-smile
It's Ozma's birthday, and her friends are searching for the perfect gift. But the treacherous plans of an old nome and a mischievous boy may throw everything off track, and possibly even start a war in the peaceful land of Oz.

The Magic of Oz hooked me from the start, and it kept me captured all the way through. Mostly because I couldn't entirely predict what was going to happen next. This is a bit of a deviation from most of the other Oz books; I found those to be more formulaic, with their outc
Myles
This is a darker entry? There is something bleak in our almost-protagonist's fate, but The Magic of Oz is mostly incidents without any consequence.

It's almost Ozma's birthday so everyone is scratching their heads what to give the beloved fairy princess who has everything something she doesn't have. The Glass Cat tells Trot and Cap'n Bill about a wonderful plant and Dorothy concocts an absurd idea with the Wizard using some talking animals as cute props.

Meanwhile there is a Hyup boy who lives on
  • Kabumpo in Oz (Oz, #16)
  • The Emerald Wand of Oz
  • Dorothy of Oz
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • The Light Princess and Other Fairy Stories
  • The Bat-Poet
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...

Oz (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Nova
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“It's a bird of some sort. It's like a duck, only I never saw a duck have so many colors."
The bird swam swiftly and gracefully toward the Magic Isle, and as it drew nearer its gorgeously colored plumage astonished them. The feathers were of many hues of glistening greens and blues and purples, and it had a yellow head with a red plume, and pink, white and violet in its tail.”
8 likes
“The Glass Cat is one of the most curious creatures in all Oz. It was made by a famous magician named Dr. Pipt before Ozma had forbidden her subjects to work magic. Dr. Pipt had made the Glass Cat to catch mice, but the Cat refused to catch mice and was considered more curious than useful.
This astonishing cat was made all of glass and was so clear and transparent that you could see through it as easily as through a window. In the top of its head, however, was a mass of delicate pink balls which looked like jewels but were intended for brains. It had a heart made of a blood-red ruby. The eyes were two large emeralds. But, aside from these colors, all the rest of the animal was of clear glass, and it had a spun-glass tail that was really beautiful.”
4 likes