Start by marking “The Fallen Princess (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Fallen Princess (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #4)

The Fallen Princess

(Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #4)

Hallowmas 1144. With the harvest festival approaching, Gareth has returned from fighting in the south, hoping for a few months of peace with Gwen before the birth of their first child. But when an innocent foray to the beach turns up the murdered body of Prince Hywel’s long lost cousin, a woman thought to have run away with a Dane five years earlier, it is Gareth and Gwen ...more
Published January 21st 2014 by Sarah Woodbury

To ask other readers questions about The Fallen Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fallen Princess

The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
529 books — 1,032 voters
Ruby Red by Kerstin GierSapphire Blue by Kerstin GierEmerald Green by Kerstin GierThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeThe Mad Earl's Bride by Loretta Chase
"Gwen"
138 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Fallen Princess (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #4)
Bethany Swafford
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
When a dead body, long dried out, is found on the beach, Prince Hywel recognizes it as his long lost cousin who was supposed to have run off with a Dane. Gareth and Gwen will need all their skills to lead an investigation. When others are murdered, it becomes clear a murderer walks among them.

This was a delight to read. Again, the story is told alternating between Gareth and Gwen and Hywel. They each bring their own unique skills to the mystery, looking at things from different points of view. G
Paula
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good solid addition

I enjoy reading these books...well plotted great for teens through adults. Well researched and give us such a great feeling for the times they portray. A lesson in history and mystery! I recommend these for anyone who yearns to know more about Wales some Welsh language and folklore and about the Middle ages in the British Isles. These are highly entertaining and so well written and readable. I am so glad I found these. As a lover of Ellis Peters and Candace Robb and others w
Chrissey Harrison
I think I enjoyed this fourth book in the series slightly more than book 3, The Fourth Horseman, because it was slightly easier to follow. There's some great sleuthing and problem solving by the characters, and the Hallowmass setting really adds to the atmosphere of the book.
However it did feel like the last third had been stretched out with unrelated plot points.

Overall, a great story.
[I listened to the audio book version]

Meg
I am totally hooked! I really love Sarah Woodbury’s books. The mystery, the attention to historical details, and her believable characters all make for a truly great read.
The Fallen Princess ( book 4 of the Gareth & Gwen series) had me baffled. All through the book I kept changing my mind as to the culprit. I did get it right in the end-as did our medieval sleuths.
Don’t pick this up if you have something else to do because you won’t be able to put it down.
Laura Drummond
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Sarah Woodbury books| ~ all her series!! I enjoy her attention to the historical detail. I get easily bored by the predictability of some books - hers always keep me guessing - love that. They’re quick reads And always, always leave me wanting more. Pick one up!! You won’t be able to put it down.
Bonnie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of an excellent mystery series set in medieval Wales. The mummified body of a Welsh princess is found on the beach, left there in the night by a horse drawn cart. She was believed to have run off with a Dane five years before, but that doesn't appear to have been the case. Gareth, his wife Gwen and Prince Hywel investigate.
Sian Iola Percival
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Running out of ways to describe these books each one is amazing, full of detail and mystery as well as backgrounds for the main characters. So happy I discovered these books, and a great way to start of the year.
Patricia
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the book “solved” in my mind differently than it turned out. I enjoy the personalities and the unfolding of the mysteries.
Jena Duffy
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adictted

I always love a good mystery and this one is no exception! Characters and plot are strong and I love how she keeps you guessing!
Vickie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just as good as the three previous books.
Wendy Ryan
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable instalment of the ongoing series. A fun diversion for the current circumstances with good setting and characters.
JoAnn Stephens
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it
Bruce
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Sarah Woodbury is an excellent story teller with great characters band compelling plots.
Pat Welte
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series by Sarah Woodbury, it is complicated and a fun read.
Kelly Martin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this series!
Rachelle
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me guessing. I have enjoyed all of the books in the series so far.
Voirrey
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I fear these might be becoming something of an addiction! I was especially interested in seeing things from Hywel's point of view and so learning something of his feelings and fears.
Lorraine
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys medieval mysteries .
This is the first of Sarah Woodbury's Gareth and Gwen medieval mysteries that I have read and I enjoyed it very much. I have spent some time in Wales, but I do not know too much of its history so I like reading books that describe true facts such as King Owain's court and the celebration of Hallowmass or as we know it in the USA - Halloween. The Fallen Princess concerns the disappearance of a royal princess five years earlier . The book begins with a body found on a beach, and this body is disco ...more
Bron
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another fascinating slice of life in medieval Wales, wrapped up in a murder mystery when a mummified body turns up on the beach at Hallowe'en. Gareth and Gwen's relationship has progressed too and they are now expecting their first child. Pregnancy forces Gwen to stay close to the castle but doesn't stop her playing a part in solving the puzzle, or sharing the dangers. Reading these books in sequence, one immediately after the other, has been an interesting experience. One usually has to wait be ...more
Alison
One of the stronger installments in the series, this book follows a thread through the experience of war, of women of wealth and the complex winding of power and obligation in medieval Welsh ruling elite. These themes are very background to the somewhat pedestrian storytelling style, but Woodbury's passion and love for Wales and a clear eyed view of it's history are strong enough to forgive many lesser failings.
Meri
Love this series!

Sarah Woodbury is a wonderful author that takes the historical fiction genre and adds her own twists to it that keeps you hooked and wanting more til the very end. it is very hard to put her stories down. this book was no exception. I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Jeffrey
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Woodbury once again develops a plot that keeps you riveted to the page, hoping to unravel the threads of well-developed plot lines that intersect and diverge and leaving you breathless as the mystery builds to its climax and wonderful denouement. Clearly a must read in this ongoing series.
Agnes
As usual, Ms Woodbury delivers. Amidst the multiple murders, various intrigues, subplots and twists to an otherwise straightforward story of love, betrayal and revenge, there's dry humour, and a heartwarming tale of friendship, true love and loyalty.
Valerie Antijunti
Always keeps you guessing

Another great Gareth and Gwen story. Ms Woodbury hooks from the very first page and holds your interest to the very end. I have to remind to slow down so I don't miss a single detail.
Laura Kelleher
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun distraction, but not as engaging as the earlier books in the series.
Sharon
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but it has been too long since I read the first three books in this series; so, there were things I had forgotten about the main characters and their shared history.
Betsy
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medieval mysteries set in Wales. Favorite time period and location for me.
Kathi Reed
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
good series
Lucy
Mar 03, 2015
Betty
May 08, 2020

• The Corpse at Windsor Bridge (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #10)
  • Death in Delft
  • Untrue till Death
  • Bird in a Snare (The Lord Hani Mysteries #1)
  • Dead Shot (Sergeant Frank Hardy #3)
  • Summer of the Big Bachi (Mas Arai, #1)
  • Forest of Souls (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #4)
  • Bindings of Peril (The Drinnglennin Chronicles #3)
  • Over The Wall (Warrior Druid of Britain #2.5)
  • A Realm at Stake (The Drinnglennin Chronicles #2)
  • The Final Toll (Servant of the Crown #4)
  • Dead Man's Ransom (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #9)
  • Brother, Can You Spare a Crime?: Another John Pickett Mystery (John Pickett Mysteries Book 10)
  • Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey
  • Cathedral of Bones (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • A Borrowing of Bones (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #1)
  • Season of the Fox (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #2)
  • Breach of Faith (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #2)
With over a million books sold to date, Sarah Woodbury is the author of more than forty novels, all set in medieval Wales. Although an anthropologist by training, and then a full-time homeschooling mom for twenty years, she began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded that she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time at univ ...more

Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • The Fourth Horseman (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #3)
  • The Unlikely Spy (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #5)
  • The Lost Brother (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #6)
  • The Renegade Merchant (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #7)
  • The Unexpected Ally (A Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 8)
  • The Worthy Soldier (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #9)
  • The Favored Son (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #10)
  • The Viking Prince (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries. #11)