Start by marking “Icon: A Retrospective by the Grand Master of Fantastic Art, Frank Frazetta” as Want to Read:
Icon: A Retrospective by the Grand Master of Fantastic Art, Frank Frazetta

Icon: A Retrospective by the Grand Master of Fantastic Art, Frank Frazetta

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Frank Franzetta's paintings and illustrations have set the standard for fantasy artists for the past 50 years. His art continues to exert a tremendous influence over collectors of classic comic and sci-fi art, who pay record-setting auction prices for his original works. This lushly produced, large-format retrospective follows Frazetta's career from his apprenticeships at ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Underwood Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Icon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icon

Stephen
4.5 stars. What a superb collection of iconic artwork (pun intended). Frank Frazetta was an amazing talent and his artwork is instantly recognizable by fans and collectors alike. From Conan to Tarzan to Death-Dealer to Vampirella, It is Frazetta's artwork that people think of when they visualize these characters. A superb collection showcasing a one-of-a-kind talent.
Andrew
I enjoy Frazetta's art. I really wish someone would publish a more comprehensive collection. I feel like I've seen his 10 or so big pieces thousands of times, but a lot of his less popular works I've only seen occasionally and never all in one place.

A book like this should strive for a comprehensive and definite collection of all of his professional works.
Anthony Ryan
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating insight into the life and work of fantasy illustration's principal trailblazer, greatly enriched by examples of his most celebrated works and numerous sketches. A real must for anyone with an interest in fantasy art and illustration in general.
Parka
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books

(More pictures on parkablogs.com)

Frank Frazetta probably needs no introduction. The images that come to my mind straightaway are the almost perfect anatomy drawings of warriors and women.

This book is a biography of Frank Frazetta looking at the illustrations he created throughout his career. It is really humbling to read how he rose from a kid drawing strange title like "The Elephant who wouldn't help" to the famous series of Conan. There are lots of interesting things to read like his working
Mike (the Paladin)
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Frank Frazetta died recently and for many art lovers he'll be missed, but especially for fantasy fans it was a sad day. Not only his "Icon"ic cover paintings but his entire volume of work speaks to his talent. This book give a nice look at the man and the history of his work. It's interesting, but I suppose it goes without saying, the paintings are the star of the book.
Heather Renee'
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favs
I love fantasy art it one of my favorite mediums a few friends have scene my drawings I aspire to draw half as brilliantly and confidently as Frank his drawings are simply stunning.
Adam
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Frazetta (so 5 stars). If I wasn't completely biased, I'd knock a star off for the author's periodic insults to anything that is not by Frazetta.
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers and artists
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: genre
The incredible artwork that famed Frank Frazetta is best known for is his dark and dramatic Conan the Barbarian oils. He is also well known for art in comic books, Tarzan novels, iconic movie posters and record covers of the 60's and 70's. Icon also describes his incredible fifty-five year career span in the industry. I think all of us who love or create fantasy have looked up to him at some point.
MB Taylor
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful compilation of some of my favorite Frazetta paintings. There are large reproductions of most (maybe all) of the Lancer Conan covers (some revised by the artist), many of the later Ace Burroughs paperbacks and even the SF Book Club John Carter of Mars covers. Plus two of my favorites, the original Death Dealer and the cover to Michael Moorcock's Silver Warriors. Not to mention an absolutely glorious reproduction of the cover to Edmund Hamilton's Outlaw World.

A wonderful collection.
David Manns
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, non-fiction
A superb introduction to the art and life of Frank Frazetta, one of the foremost fantasy artists of the last half century. This book reproduces full colour examples of his works, from magazine and book covers to film posters and comic strips. The man is a legend and influenced a raft of artists who came after him.
Winston Blakely
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing

It begins here. The grand master of fantasy painting is showcase in this 3 part
hardbound coffee table editions. Frank Frazetta arts to life and jump off the
canvas. He has learned to draw with paint and takes you right into the world
of sword and sorcery, sci fi, etc.
Charles
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Frazetta's art is just amazing. My personal favorites are his Death Dealer paintings, followed closely by his paintings of Kane. This is a nice retrospective on his work, with lots of his paintings included.
Qasim Zafar
Frank Frazetta is one of my favorite illustrators. I thought I would have to order this book from Amazon, but as luck would have it, my local Barnes and Noble had it and needless to say the work I had actually intended to get done was necessarily delayed hour and a half while I enjoyed this book.
Nicholas Gourlay
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Great bio, great artwork. The man's a master.
Bill Reed
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatest artist of my lifetime. Great book!
Groot
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The finest artist of the 20th century. I am Groot.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A whole book of Frank Frazetta art!!! Can't get any better than this. Highly recommended
Frank
Jun 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Didn't actually "read" the whole thing, but damn that man could draw him some barbarians and damsels.
Zachary Harless
Scott
Mar 17, 2013
  • The Art of Michael Whelan
  • Secrets
  • Barlowe's Guide to Fantasy: Great Heroes and Bizarre Beings from Imaginative Literature
  • The Art of Hellboy (Hellboy Artbook, #1)
  • Offerings
  • Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross
  • Autobiography
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace
Frank Frazetta was an American fantasy and science fiction artist, noted for work in comic books, paperback book covers, paintings, posters, record-album covers and other media. He was the subject of a 2003 documentary.

* Complete list of his book covers.
More about Frank Frazetta...

“Everybody knocks my female figures. They say they're overblown, that women don't look like that. And I agree. certainly all women don't look like my paintings. But you cant deny some women do look like that. I don't want to paint just another woman. A painting, it's something important; you want to look at it, maybe forever. Who wants to look at just an ordinary hero forever? You want the ultimate, you pull out the stops and do everything in extremes. The extreme in beauty, if it fits; the extreme in ugliness if it fits; the extreme in terror if this is what's required. You know, I think this is one reason that so many people enjoy my stuff, because all of these extremes are jammed into it.” 6 likes