Start by marking “The Boy Who Ran” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Ran

The Boy Who Ran

The sole survivor when his village was massacred, the boy spends his days alone in the woods, feeling more kinship with the animals than with the people who took him in but never really accepted him.

THE BOY WHO RAN is a middle grade novel about a Native American orphan trying to find a place in the world. It's written like a parable, following the boy's struggle to be
Paperback, First Edition, 160 pages
Published November 13th 2013 by Woodland Park Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Ran, please sign up.
Michael Selden Thank you for the question, Lorna. I'm no longer an athlete myself. I was a runner—a sprinter—when I was younger, and I threw the javelin, too. I also…moreThank you for the question, Lorna. I'm no longer an athlete myself. I was a runner—a sprinter—when I was younger, and I threw the javelin, too. I also liked to run and climb the hills of Palmer Park, a natural area in the city of Colorado Springs, as a teenager for fun and exercise. It was fun to leap from boulder to boulder and then run through the wilderness. Unfortunately, I sustained a knee injury in college, which—after years and repeated damage—ultimately ended my running and leaping career. :) I still hike and climb in the mountains, and I see deer around my house every day. They're quite fearless here in my town of 7600 people. I live in Woodland Park, a small town in the front range of the Rockies. My house is at 8500 ft. altitude (2600m) adjacent to the Pike National Forest. We have bears and deer and raccoons and cougars and foxes . . . and so forth around us—although I wrote the book while I was living in a high rise condo in Baltimore, before returning to Colorado.(less)

Start your review of The Boy Who Ran
Archit Ojha
In 160 page, Nailed it!

A boy is abandoned, left on his own. Thankfully a tribe appears in his rescue. But can they really save him? From feeling lonely, angry, devastated, scared and hatred?

The Boy Who Ran beckons you on a voyage that a very few gets opportunity to. Enlightening and captivating. Well researched and the flow of the story was balanced and fascinating.
In order to get knowledge, he has to learn much more that will come in his way. This book is a perfect read for readers of every
Pooja
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, owns, 100-pages
Steals the heart.

Six thousand years ago, set in North America, The Boy Who Ran accounts a gripping tale of a young man who got abandoned and then rescued by a tribe.

The haunting memories of his lost mother always trigger the deepest sentiments and bring out the most silent and devastated creature in him. The boy is wrapped up in the circumstances of morose, oddity and isolation.

His only way out from this predicament is to spend time in the forest near his village. He runs, plays and keeps
Louise White
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Boy Who Ran by Michael Selden is a captivating and illuminating tale.
Set six thousand years ago in North America, a boy is protected and saved by his mother during the brutal massacre of his tribe.
"You must be silent," she warns him. "Run and do not stop." (view spoiler)
Stacie
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
The Boy Who Ran gives an exciting glimpse into the life of a Native American boy and his struggle to find acceptance among a new tribe.

A violent massacre in their village leaves his mother fatally wounded and in his haunting dreams he can still sense her fear as she instructs him to RUN. Homeless and alone the boy finds refuge with a new tribe, but as an outsider he is never really accepted into their tight nit community. He has never spoken and prefers to spend time by himself in the forest. He
Sayantoni Das
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review by : www.wordscantfathom.wordpress.com

How can a book be sooo good? I mean, just how? I was literally hooked to the book starting from page one to the very last one.

The story is set six thousand years ago in North America, when the sole rule of survival was hunting. The boy has no name. And the others who do have names like Gray Wolf, Morning Hawk and the likes. I enjoyed the premise a lot where the boy feels more at home in the forest than in the village. He's completely alone, yet he
Monnie
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Abandonment, fear, jealousy, loneliness, anger, self-reliance, bullying, love, acceptance, responsibility. All those feelings and emotions and more are dealt with in this book, a winner of the 2014 IPPY Gold Medal for Juvenile Fiction. Because of the age group targeted (and because the story sounded interesting), I agreed to read and review it when I was offered a copy at no cost.

The story, which takes place 6,000 years ago, centers on a young boy who was the sole survivor after everyone in his
Brianna
An excellent read! I simply could not put it down, so it made for a nice two hours of reading.

This story follows one exceptional young boy whose mother is suddenly killed by bloodthirsty marauders and, after being instructed to run, is discovered unconscious in the forest by a band of hunters from a tribe nearby. He is taken in--though not accepted--by the community and lives as a mute in near-isolation for seven years until one day, they discover that he possesses intelligence, character, and
Lorna Francis
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What a beautifully written and intriguing novel! First, I must say that the cover image was amazing, a beautiful reflection of the story. I loved the way Michael Selden drew the reader in, taking me on the boy's journey to find his own gift of speech. It is a beautiful and inspiring tale of a lone survivor of a native American camp and his communication with nature. Despite being thought of as different, and not being accepted, the youngster is keen to learn and loves to run. Carefully he ...more
Rita
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

What can I say about this gem of a book. I picked it up and started reading and could not put it down again. I just needed to finish it. The story was fantastic and realistic from start to finish. It had me standing next to "The Boy" all the way through. The imagery was great. I forgot where I actually was.

The writer was able to place me in the head of the boy and the other characters as well. At one point I thought I knew where and how it
Darby Karchut
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Boy Who Ran by Michael Selden is a terrific middle grade read. It won the 2014 IPPY Gold Medal for Juvenile Fiction.

It has all the things I look for in a book: a protagonist to cheer for, a nicely drawn story arc, and a unique "voice". But even better, The Boy Who Ran also taught me some things about the daily life of the hunters-gatherers of North America (6,0000 years ago). As another reviewer pointed out, it is a bit like Clan of the Cave Bear, but for children.

This book would be a great
Jori
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story.

I liked this book a lot. It was very simple, without a lot of bells and whistles, but easy to read. The story of "boy" tells of a young boy's struggle to belong and still maintain his own secret talent, while figuring out where he came from. The author does a good job of relating this; although it moves a little quickly, there are many historic references that give color and background to the tale.
AK Mama Reads
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
A really great middle-grade read! I was impressed with the scope of the story and historical accuracy. A lovely work of fiction centering around a Native American boy with animalistic speed, "The Boy Who Ran" will leave you breathless and wanting to tromp around your back yard through a pile of leaves.

***I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.***
Callie
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**Goodreads First Reads Winner*** This was a well written book that people of all ages can enjoy. the struggles of a boy different from the tribe, coming into his own has a great message. you can almost see yourself running along with him through the woods.
Kirsty
Mar 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. Review to follow.
BlaiddDrwg
Apr 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2014
I have received a free electronic copy of this book for an honest review. THANK YOU.
The actual rating: 1,5 stars.

My heart is breaking. Literally. I hate to give such low ratings for books I'm receiving for free but this time I have no choice.

I've read half of this booklet on my own. And I gave up. Unfortunately I was bored. And then I thought about my kids (well, not literally my kids, I'm a part time nanny for 3 kiddos). This book is meant for children, and just because I don't like it doesn't
Johanna
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

“To the people in the village, he was an unexceptional-looking boy, neither especially tall nor obviously talented. Few paid much attention to him if they thought of him at all. But the boy could move through the forest in a way that seemed almost magical -and he could run very, very fast.”

When marauders attacked his village, the boy’s dying mother brought him to the edge of the forest and told him to run. She knew that if he could only get away, he might survive. And so the boy ran for
Gwen
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the back cover: He was the sole survivor when his village was massacred. The boy spends his days alone in the woods, feeling more of a kinship with the animals, than with the people who took him in but never really accepted him. The Boy Who Ran is a middle grade novel about a Native American orphan trying to find a place in the world. The story is set six thousand years ago in the mid-archaic period of North American history.
The prologue tells of the massacre of his tribe and how he
Carol Wilson
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The boy who ran

I enjoyed reading this book. It was very interesting and seemed to be authentic. Having some Indian blood myself I have always been interested in Indian ways. I'm sure much research was done to write it. my husband also read it and enjoyed it. I received this book free so I would rate it.
Patricia Kaniasty
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent story! A bit like "Clan of the Cave Bear" but with Native Americans. It's a easy read that keeps you turning the pages.
Brantley Horton
Jan 15, 2019
Gaurav Sikarwar
Oct 08, 2017
Great Middle Grad...: Looking for additional reviews 3 48 May 13, 2018 07:43AM
Goodreads Authors...: Audio Edition for The Boy Who Ran Released 1 2 Mar 25, 2016 09:08PM
I am a reader and a writer, although I was also a research physicist for about 30 years—believe it or not writing and imagination are almost as important in physics as is an understanding of how the world works, and mathematics.

I've read so many many books I can't possibly remember them all, and I don't really try. I've put a few on my list here, but I had a habit of going on reading binges where