Start by marking “The Stories of Frank Sargeson” as Want to Read:
The Stories of Frank Sargeson

The Stories of Frank Sargeson

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Forty-seven stories from the master.
Published 1982 by Penguin Books (NZ)

To ask other readers questions about The Stories of Frank Sargeson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stories of Frank Sargeson

Alan Wightman
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alan by: Hamish Clayton
A literary friend of mine recommended Sargeson - he is thought of as being the first writer to freely use the New Zealand vernacular. This is a collection of short stories, presented in chronological order, from "Conversation with My Uncle" in 1935 to "Making Father Pay" in 1975. The age of the author, who was born in 1903, thus varies from 32 to 72.

One therefore comes away with the feeling that one has read a kind of autobiography, told in fictional terms. The protagonist or narrator is almost
Lynley
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I remember studying these short stories during high school in New Zealand, and again at university in New Zealand. Sargeson is an important literary influence because he was one of the first authors to embrace the Kiwi accent. Until Sargeson, writers were hell bent on emulating the learned English from the Mother Country, and felt (still feel, in many cases) some embarrassment about the local dialect.

The thing is, dialects change quickly, and even as a New Zealander I struggle to understand some
Shelley
The complete collection of his short stories. Interesting to watch the change in style as he grew older. Some very good, tight, quirky stories that I would rate 4 or 5 stars. A few that I did not relate to at all. An interesting compilation worth digging into.
Naomi
Feb 12, 2009 marked it as to-read
I've been wanting to read Frank Sargeson since reading Janet Frame's 'Angel at my table'. Thanks for reminding me.
Catherine Cocker
i love frank sargesons writing he tells far more in his absence of words than in words themselves. very New Zealand
Ken Horlor
Sonia
Jan 21, 2013
Rory Storm
Jul 03, 2012
The pen name of Norris Frank Davey. He is considered one of New Zealand's foremost short story writers. Like Katherine Mansfield, Sargeson helped to put New Zealand literature on the world map.
More about Frank Sargeson...