Start by marking “Camp Outlook” as Want to Read:

Camp Outlook

Shannon is thrilled when her mom becomes pregnant. After years of hoping and praying, Shannon will be a big sister. They will be a normal, happy family. Shannon likes being normal. But when her baby brother is born, things do not go according to plan. God does not seem to be following the rules. And Shannon does something that is so out of character, not even she can expla ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Second Story Press

To ask other readers questions about Camp Outlook, please sign up.

Lauren
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher (Netgalley) in return for an honest review.

I am not going to lie - I don't actually know where to begin reviewing this book. I sort of liked this book and I sort didn't. Having said that, the book carried a pretty powerful message about children with disabilities, which I think is very prominent in our society today. I think I am going to go for one of the very rare times that I do things in a list - it might be easier this way!!

Likes:

The s
Olivia Ard
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I found the process of reading Camp Outlook to be enjoyable. It's very short and fast paced--I think it only took me about three hours collectively to read it from beginning to end. The story addresses important issues, like the concept of Imago Dei and our society's treatment of those with special needs. The story is non-linear, alternating chapters with Shannon's time at Camp Outlook and the events leading up to her departure for the camp. While this was a little confusing at times, it worked. ...more
Karla
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book focuses on Shannons acceptance of things she cannot change. Her journey of self discovery, her realisation that life isn't easy, and life is what you make it. She struggles to accept her brothers diagnosis and is ashamed of it.

A touching story for the younger generation.

This book was given to me by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
prag ♻
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Camp Outlook fell flat. There was no real plot, just random thoughts going on in a 7th grader's head. A seventh grader with a brother with Down's, that is.

I liked the idea, because there is a lot of stigma around *special* people, but we didn't get to know about Gabe till about 25% through the book, so 1/4 of this novel was random babble. And, sorry, but there's already too much of it going on in my head, I don't need more incoherent mumblings in a book.

Coming to the part about Shannon's beliefs
Michele Gouveia Allen
I wish I had enjoyed Camp Outlook as much as others seem to have but unfortunately I did not. Although it is a fairly short, easy to read book, I had a hard time getting through it because it just didn't hold my interest. I kept waiting for some climactic, interesting, this is what I have been waiting for kind of event that just didn't happen. It isn't a poorly written or a bad story - it just was blah and ended as plainly as it began.
Child960801
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This story is about Shannon, an 8th grader who gets sent off to summer camp because her parents are in crisis and need a break. The story is told with chapters alternating between the present at camp and flashbacks looking at what the crisis is and how it came about. This book is a fabulous look at trying to come to grips with unexpected changes and how it feels to be loving and supporting someone who is struggling with something. I enjoyed it.

There is also some spiritual content to the book. I
Ramona
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful, well-written book. Highly recommended.
Reyna ♥
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Mixed thoughts. Good narrative, interesting timeline. Portrays issues in an understandable modern context for young readers.

However, the main character was very juvenile, self-centred, and judgemental at the beginning of the book. She did mature throughout the story, but some of her attitudes stayed just as unkind as ever, especially in her treatment of Sam. A few quotes:
"She was dressed totally sleazy." Nice. Very kind.
"I couldn't help but wonder what Jesus thought of her. If I found her boobs
Rebecca
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Penny Draper
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the very first page it’s impossible not to be captivated by twelve-year-old Shannon James, the reluctant camper who has a secret. Funny, wise and brutally honest with herself (and everybody else), Shan struggles to figure out the mysteries of life even when nobody else, including God, plays by the rules.

Other than a few little oddities (like her mom’s pink lipstick and her dad’s ponytail), Shannon’s family is completely normal, which is just the way she likes it. But when her mom’s pregnanc
Jessica
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won Camp Outlook in a Goodreads giveaway, so thank you to the publisher for that!

Camp Outlook is a good look at the life of a sixth-grader who wants to be normal but whose family is anything but. Her parents have been trying unsuccessfully for years to have another baby. When they finally succeed, her baby brother is born with Down's Syndrome. The family has to redefine who they are and what their idea of normal is.

Camp Outlook is set between her real life at home with her family and being at
Regine Haensel
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down until I'd finished it. Shannon, the heroine is not crazy even though she sees unusual things, particularly at Camp Outlook, where her parents have sent her so that they can recover a little from the stresses of life. The book is told in the first person, and Shannon`s honest and humorous voice is one of the things that endeared the character and the book to me. After Shannon`s birth her parents didn`t have any other children for a while, but then they want to get pr ...more
Michelle Kidwell
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing

by Brenda Baker

Second Story Press

Christian, Teens & YA

Pub Date 11 Mar 2014

I was given a copy of Camp Outlook through the publisher and their partnership with Netgalley in exchange for my honest review which is as follows:

When Shannon became an atheist for the first and second time she kept it a secret.  The Summer of Seventh Grade her parents decide to enroll her in a Christian camp Camp Outlook.  just after her Mother gave birth to their second child.  Shannon’s baby brother.  H
Annette Bower
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Camp Outlook is a contemporary young adult novel about the confusion and wonder of a preteen girl whose parents’ become pregnant. Shannon wants nothing more than to be normal. She consults a parenting book throughout the novel to help her understand the events around her. What she does learn about is adult sadness, and at this time she suggests that parenting experts should write a book for kids so they can learn to cope with parents.
This book weaves the recent past with the present at a church
Eryka Soucy
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from Goods Reads First read. Camp outlook was a book about a young girl coming to terms with life. How things aren't always going to be what we want them to be. It is a book that is very good I believe for young adult readers. It makes you appreciate all the people that are around you. Shannon had lots of people in her life to help her go through certain things. I think she learned that things aren't always going to be what we want them to be but we learn to accept them. I t ...more
Christie Harkin
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Marvellous! An honest, at times brutal, but magical look at a young girl's experience when her family's longed-for baby is born with Down's Syndrome. There is nothing pat or predictable about the characters' progress, which is refreshing. Also, Baker doesn't get overly PC in the way people talk about their attitudes. Hypocrisy is called for what it is, as is generosity of spirit. Very well executed.
Patti Shields
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Good Reads First read. I enjoyed it very much, it is a good book for young readers. Brenda Baker did a good job of making Shannon's struggles feel very real in her dealing with her baby brother who has Down's Syndrome.
Sylvia McNicoll
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The painful honesty of a family adjusting their expectations in the birth of their child with Down's Syndrome.
I learned from Shannon in her struggles with her uncomfortable thoughts and her defensiveness towards her baby brother Gabe.
MalRoseMallory
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a cute novel. I really loved the lessons and the self-discovery that Shannon had to go through.
This would be perfect for young readers in Middle School. Eye opening and hard-truths were discussed and not something you see in every Young Adult novel.
Polly
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awfully good, but I'm really not sure what to do with it. Middle School/YA novels about people who have visions at Christian summer camps are hard to place with a reader, at least where I work.
Liz
Lori Wasson
Mar 26, 2019
Atom techsoft OST Converter 1 2 Jun 29, 2018 01:47AM

• The Why of Things: Causality in Science, Medicine, and Life
  • Hard As Ice (Fortis, #1)
  • Nacho Figueras Presents: High Season (The Polo Season #1)
  • Say You Will
  • Vacation Boy: Does This Count as a Career?: Eclectic Tales of Adventure from Around the Globe
  • Lord and Lady Bunny--Almost Royalty! (The Bunny's #2)
  • The All-Day Fat-Burning Diet: The 5-Day Food-Cycling Formula That Resets Your Metabolism To Lose Up to 5 Pounds a Week
  • The Community Table: Recipes & Stories from the Jewish Community Center in Manhattan & Beyond
  • Beau, Lee, The Bomb, & Me
  • Eat Clean, Stay Lean: 300 Real Foods and Recipes for Lifelong Health and Lasting Weight Loss
  • Breaking Point (Shadow Warriors, #5)
  • Enchantress (Rav Hisda's Daughter, #2)
  • Bombs Away (The Hot War, #1)
  • Caterpillars Can't Swim
  • The Road To Assisi: The Essential Biography Of St. Francis
  • The Death Of Us
  • The Mystical Backpacker: How to Discover Your Destiny in the Modern World
  • Following Jesus Through the Eye of the Needle: Living Fully, Loving Dangerously