Start by marking “His Obsession Next Door (In the Line of Duty, #1)” as Want to Read:
His Obsession Next Door (In the Line of Duty, #1)

His Obsession Next Door

(In the Line of Duty #1)

"Once the fuse is lit, there s only one way to extinguish the flames."

Years ago, Cole Sullivan made a battlefield promise sealed in a dying man s blood to take care of his best friend s little sister. Now he s forced to live with the fact that Gemma Matthews is completely off limits.

Though Gemma s always had a crush on the darkly handsome, far-too-serious explosives expert
Published February 18th 2014 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about His Obsession Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Obsession Next Door

Start your review of His Obsession Next Door (In the Line of Duty, #1)
Barbara➰
I'm giving this 3 Stars only because of Gemma and how hot the love scenes were.

I spent 95% of this book frustrated and ready to scream.
WARNING! SPOILERS AND RANTING BELOW
Don't read if you don't want to know.
The book goes as follows:
(view spoiler)
Syndi
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series not in order. I read book number 5 first then I picked up the first book. To my surprise, I like the first book less. I think I do not like it due to Cole. He is very very coward character. For a ex military member, he does not understand about honor and bravery.

The push and pull he done to Jenna is so annoying. Jenna is typical likeable heroine. Sweet, loyal, tender and lovely. All those likeable character. But it can not help Cole flaw. The story itself is sweet and short.
CC
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.25 stars. Totally enjoyed this read! Thought it was fun and sweet. Loved the dog storyline. She was his best friend's little sister. She has had a crush on him for years. Back from the military, where her brother died, he is committed to keeping her safe. It is a really sweet story. No triggers. Totally safe.

(view spoiler)
Lexy
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was good
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 STARS

Review copy provided for an honest review

This is one of those books that takes an often used romance trope and turns it into something pretty damn special. Gemma Matthews has been in love with her now deceased big brother’s best friend Cole most of her life despite the fact that he refused her advances 10 years ago. Back home and leaving the military behind Cole has one mission left, the one he promised his friend, to keep Gemma safe.
Lynn
Nov 02, 2015 marked it as dnf
This book spends a lot of word count on physical descriptions and lusting. I'm the kind of reader that needs a strong emotional connection and the physical is secondary. I'm also the kind of reader who is bored by pages of physical descriptions of abs, tight shirts, people bending over and watching their rear ends, tingling, burning, pooling and such. This meant I was not the right audience for this book. It centers on the physical and relies on the emotional growth having occurred mostly in the ...more
Amelia
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A solid three stars. An obvious plot that I've read hundreds of times before but largely made up for by lots of love for animals, something for which I can forgive most things. Decent writing and minimal typos, particularly considering it was a freebie. Godawful title though.
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cathryn Fox

ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for a honest review.

Once again Cathryn Fox has created a true work of literary art, and provided readers with a beautifully written story that will capture their hearts! I ABSOLUTELY loved reading this story, it captivated my attention instantly and held onto it until the very end. The story line was very engaging, thought provoking, and very well written.

I love second chance love stories and this one DEFINITELY hit the mark! Cole and Ge
Victoria
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.0+ RATING- A well written, surprisingly steamy, contemporary romance with a great ex-military hero and a heroine I liked! Definitely a solid read! I enjoyed books two and three more than this one but this was a solid start to the series. Good writing and HOT romance!

Note: At the time this review was posted, this book was available to borrow through SCRIBD Subcription Service.

To see other books available to borrow through Kindle Unlimited or SCRIBD, check out the Subscription Addiction grou
Cyn Mistress Kitty
Great story. Gemma has loved Cole since she was a little girl. Cole has loved her too but feels he would be dishonorable to her brother's memory if he acted on those feelings. Things get hot though before he knows it. I'm glad Cole finally got his priorities right.
I want to read about the rest of the team but it looks like only Garrett's story is in this series.
Iza Brekilien
Rate : 3
Heat : 3

Gemma is Cole's best friend's little sister. She's always had a crush on him, but he always kept her at a distance. When Gemma's brother got killed while they were soldiers, Cole promised him he would watch over Gemma. So, as soon as he's back in town, Cole keeps an eye on her.
Gemma is a veterinarian and runs a no-kill animal shelter that she needs to expand : too many animals, not enough room for all. Her parents are well-off, still she wants no help from them. She's tired of b
Erin
This was enjoyable.

I liked the dog aspect a lot.

Yes, it seemed a little repetitive at times, but that was understandable. However, one of the things that got on my nerves was the fact that we were never told exactly what her brother said to Cole. And so because of that it was just a lot of "he made me promise" type statements. But he was freaking out over thinking he was dishonouring the promise made... well we didn't know what exactly he said. Did Brandon say "Promise me you won't touch my sis
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars - Quick and sweet read, with some super spicy scenes ;) Looking forward to continuing the series.
Gina
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and Hot! I love how Gemma gets her man and doesn't let him walk away no matter what!
Lovingbooks1
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, kindle
A story filled with feelings

I liked this book very much because:
* The storyline was good
* The characters had personal growth throughout the story and the author showed that clearly
* There’s no unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
* Enough dialogues to keep the story interesting at all times
* Love scenes that is hot and still described in a way that makes the scenes tasteful
* Good narrator but I do prefer when there’s two narrators because the male voice is not easy to do well for a women
 Abril Sol
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
I really, really enjoyed it. I NEVER get tired of the "falling for her big brother's best friend" trope...
Julie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh

This was just not my cup of tea. I was bored early on, but I pushed through although I liked his alpha tendencies.
Franci Neill
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series from Cathryn Fox. Gemma and Cole have known each other forever and Gemma has worshiped Cole from afar for most of this time until a night when she tries to show Cole her feelings for him and he rejects her. Little does she know, Cole didn't want to reject her but didn't feel right about his feelings for her because she's his best friends little sister.

Brandon and Cole are in the military together as explosive experts and on a fateful night, Cole makes a promise to Brandon
Busy Bumble Bee Book Reviews
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok so I should have had this review up a few weeks ago. But real life has gotten in my way the few past weeks. But anyways I was so happy to be able to read this book from Cathryn Fox. I love a good book with a man in uniform. His Obsession Next Door if you haven't read it the 1st in the In The Line Of Dity series.

I fell in love with Cole right away when he 1st walked into Gemma's vet clinic with his injured dog. Cole is a solider who has come home from the war scarred, both emotionally and ph
Christine Mize
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Those who have gone to war often come home changed, both human and canine. Cole Sullivan is a Military Working Dog Handler, who lost his best friend overseas – his best friend who asked that he protect his baby sister. Veterinarian Gemma Matthews does not feel like she needs to be looked after, instead concentrating on her practice and raising money for her animal shelter plans. Cole and his MWDH buddies step in to help, building a instruction course at an abandoned military base close to her pr ...more
Shan ~A~
I'm really not sure how to articulate how I feel about this story. I liked it, but it was a bit annoying at times also.

Cole promised his friend Brandon, on his death bed, that he would watch out for his sister Gemma. So although he is attracted to her, Gemma is off limits.

Gemma has always had a crush on Cole, so when he comes back into her life she doesn't let anything, including his seeming hesitance, get in the way of what she wants.

I have no problem with Gemma being the pursuer, but it bugg
Joan
Oct 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hardly know how to start writing a review of this one. I read most of it - mostly just skip-reading after the first 1/4. It is certainly one of the least subtle books I've ever read, the author hitting the reader over the head with every idea. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Although the plot was excessively obvious and the dialog and sex scenes were stilted and unnatural, the book was fairly well edited, containing only a few very glaring errors that should have been corrected before publ ...more
Jan Meredith
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Like your heros damaged, loyal and totally hot? Then you'll LOVE Cole Sullivan! Like your heroines strong, independent and ready to do what it takes to get her man? That would be Gemma Matthews.

The sexual tension crackles between these two, and Gemma has no qualms about doing what ever it takes to break through the protective shell Cole has surrounded himself with. He may have made a battle field promise to her brother, but now he's dealing with the woman, and she's breaking out the big guns!
Jayne
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the Line of Duty.

Having had his childhood friend and best mate die in his arms and promising to protect his sister, explosive expert, Cole, does just that...and more. Vet, Gemma, tried to seduce Cole 10years ago but his rejection doesn't deter her now. He's fighting his growing feelings towards her, with guilt, she's fighting dirty to get him in her bed. Very predictable, corny, unexciting and frustrating how he wants her, then he doesn't. At times it was like reading a teenage novel, disappo
LJT
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review Posted on HarlequinJunkie.com

4.5 Stars

His Obsession Next Door is a thrilling and passionate romance by talented author Cathryn Fox. I find that each book she writes is just as good or better than the previous one I have read. This book is amazing, replete will patriotism, well-defined characters and a compelling storyline.

Colleen Everly
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I love stories about soldiers who come home a little broken yet have such a great capacity to love. This story had dogs which I love. The dogs were heroes along with the soldiers. I love how she used her sexuality to crack his shell. I loved how they were always loved one another, she knew it yet he was oblivious :) he knew he was attracted but didn't think he deserved love. Awesome read!
Tammy Ramey
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the book and i have to tell you that i loved it! it was heartbreaking and heartwarming ,intense,poigant and tender and HOT! it was all of the things you want in a grade
A+ romance novel and then some.

if you want to read a book that will make you laugh,cry,feel angry for the characters and all of the other emotions you can feel as a human being then this is the book for you!

Thank you Ms. Fox for writing another wonderful story for us.
Lisa Downs
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gemma and Cole stole my heart and had it racing! This is definitely a book to grab for vacation or just relaxing at home. This one grabbed my interest at the beginning and held on to the very end. It was sexy, funny and was full of heart.
Fiza
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
3.5* out of 5*

*Review coming up*
Lyndi W.
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Cushy little fluff piece, exactly what I needed while while putting my feet up for a while. Two adorable characters with nice chemistry. And lots of doggies!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Billionaire Next Door (Billionaire Bad Boys #2)
  • The Bastard Billionaire (Billionaire Bad Boys, #3)
  • Taken By The Alpha (Timber Valley Pack #5)
  • Her Dad's Friend
  • The Billionaire and the Virgin (Billionaires and Bridesmaids, #1)
  • Love My Way
  • His Proposed Deal
  • Caught Together
  • Hard as Steele (Timber Valley Pack, #3)
  • Lynx On The Loose (Timber Valley Pack, #4)
  • Purr For The Alpha (Timber Valley Pack, #2)
  • Something About Lorelei
  • Your Tempting Love (The Bennett Family, #5)
  • Cop of the Year (Bayview Heights #1)
  • Scarlet (Alpha Marked, #1)
  • The Billionaire Bachelor (Billionaire Bad Boys, #1)
  • One Night in London
  • Love in Between (Love, #1)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Cathryn Fox is a wife, mom, sister, daughter, aunt and friend. She loves dogs, sunny weather, anything chocolate (she never says no to a brownie) pizza and red wine. Cathryn lives in beautiful Nova Scotia with her husband, who is convinced he can turn her into a mixed martial arts fan. When not writing, Cathryn can be found Skyping with her son livin ...more

In the Line of Duty (6 books)
  • His Trouble in Tallulah (In the Line of Duty, #2)
  • His Taste of Temptation (In the Line of Duty, #3)
  • His Moment to Steal (In the Line of Duty, #4)
  • His Best Friend's Girl (In The Line Of Duty, #5)
  • His Reason to Stay (In the Line of Duty, #6)