Start by marking “Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole” as Want to Read:
Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole

Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole

(Junior Library Guild Selection )

December 1st
White envelopes float
from my overfilled mailbox—
December's first storm.

You know that Santa can fly a sleigh, squeeze down chimneys, and circle the globe in a night. But did you know that another of his talents is writing haiku?

These twenty-five short poems—composed by Santa himself—give you a peek into life at the North Pole as the December days tick down
Published September 1st 2014 by Carolrhoda Books (R) (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Clauses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Clauses

Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: randomly-reading
It's almost Christmas and the air is electric with anticipation. Sometimes, though, it is nice to step away from all the hustle and bustle, the crowds and the long, long lines, make some nice hot chocolate for everyone (or whatever else tickles your fancy), put the kids into their pajamas and get ready to enjoy reading the calmest, most delightful of Christmas books.

Santa Clauses is a collection of 25 haikus written by Santa as he prepares for his big travel night. There is a short introduction
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! I love the idea idea introduced on the first page of text that Santa Claus is a poet and typed out a haiku a day from December 1 through Christmas. "Santa is a man of many talents," reads the note. "Now you can peak at Santa's haiku... and catch a glimpse of life at the North Pole." This is a fantasy mixture, part Rankin/Bass productions (elves, hot cocoa, a snowman) and part real North Pole life (wolves howling at the moon, the aurora borealis). Raczka's haiku are cute and c ...more
Amber Goebel
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole is a poetry book that is really an advent calendar comprised of haiku poems written by the jolly old elf himself! Each page has a date from December 1st through December 26th and a haiku about the day from Santa. While the poems are short and sweet, the illustrations are deep and detailed. The darker colors and snowy scenes evoke that cozy winter feeling that Christmastime provides. I think this collection of poetry would be a great way to count dow ...more
Karen Arendt
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book- both the illustrations and the haikus. The pages are days 1-25 of December, and Santa has a poem for each day. The imagery is beautiful and the metaphors had me pausing to imagine each scene in my mind. The perfect Christmas book. So glad a copy is on its way for our library.
Kristine Hansen
Clever series of haiku penned by Santa Claus himself. I loved the glimpse into his character, and for the first time see him as more a real person than just a figurehead for a holiday. Very enjoyable. This one I would love to read again with the kids, and maybe try writing some of my own Christmas haikus.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This is an adorable book with 25 haikus, one for each day from Dec 1 through Christmas. The haikus are written in Santa's voice. The illustrations have a Scandinavian folk art feel to them.

I can easily see a family choosing to read 1 of these poems each day leading up to Christmas.

It could also be fun to challenge kids to write their own daily haikus about the season.
Jacqueline
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a good read aloud but the poems are cute and the art is lovely.
Margaux
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super cute. Title says it all.

Have I mentioned how much I love Christmas?
Catherine
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Santa Clauses Short Poems from the North Pole is a picture book that many students would enjoy reading or listening to especially if they love Santa and the Christmas holiday. I found this book on the NCTE 2015 notable poetry list online.

This book is made up of twenty-five haiku poems for every day of December leading to Christmas day that are written by Santa Clause himself. Santa’s haiku’s gives the reader a glimpse into his life at the North Pole during his busiest month and leading up to Ch
Megan Wittenberg
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A man full of joy, gift giving, and laughter, but did you know what else he’s full of? Talent for poetry! Take a look at Santa Clauses 25 haikus regarding some of the things going on around and within the North Pole as it begins to reach Christmas day. This is definitely a cute book to share with students as time is getting closer to the winter holidays. It is definitely an enjoyable book and allows students to see a book written in a way they may not have seen before. On top of this, students c ...more
Karen
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the idea of this book, sort of like a literary advent calendar. The poems themselves were cute and interesting for me, as an adult, but I think for a younger child it would've been better to have a longer poem or a one-page story to hold their attention better.
Autumn
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The poems and the illustrations were very well done. Whatever ink that they used to print this book made me dizzy.
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
These twenty-five Haiku poems are written by "Santa Claus" who tells what it's like at the North Pole while getting ready for his yearly flight. Great illustrations.
Kris Dersch
Absolutely one of my all-time favorite Santa books. 25 haikus can be read in one sitting or can be read day-by-day through Advent. A peaceful breath of fresh air in a crazy season, I especially love the picture of a relaxed Santa on December 26. Highly recommend.
Featured on the No Extra Words podcast Special #22.
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress... (Sept 3)

I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Santa and his family and employees count down to Christmas through clever and witty haiku.

I adored this book. For a curmudgeonly old grump like me, it is the perfect festive reading option - not too sentimental, but with just the right level of wit and lightness to keep me turning the pages. The best word I can think of to d
Michelle
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As holiday-themed books go, I am generally not a big fan. They sort of roll together into one big much-of-a-muchness pile for me. But not this one– oh no. This one is fresh, fun, delightful, and will take its rightful place alongside The Night Before Christmas as a family storybook tradition.

One aspect that I particularly like about this book of 25 short poems is that it can be read with children like an Advent calendar, one poem each day leading up to Christmas. It lends itself beautifully to t
Kelly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Santa and haikus. Interesting combination.
Tasha
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Santa tells his own story of Christmas in these 25 short haiku poems that offer a glimpse into what goes into making Christmas happen. From the joy of snow to the seasonal chores like fixing Christmas lights, readers will see their own holiday preparations in Santa’s world too. But there are also things that are just in Santa’s world like the many letters from children, hard-working elves, reading stories to the reindeer and finally flying off to deliver presents.

These poems are cleverly done,
Tali
A free copy of this book was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Santa Clauses is a book of twenty-five haikus written for the lead-up to Christmas (and all apparently written by Santa himself) and I absolutely adored it. The haikus were sweet, nostalgic, humorous and really got into the spirit of winter and Christmas, and each one was accompanied by a beautiful illustration. I don't think I can rate the illustrations of this book highly enough actually, especially the outdoor
Becky
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Bob Raczka's Santa Clauses. The book is a poetic countdown to Christmas. Each of the twenty-five poems is written from Santa's perspective. Each poem is dated. Each poem is haiku. I found this to be a delightful read. I loved some of the poems. I liked all of them, for the most part, but there were a few I did LOVE. The book gives young readers a behind-the-scenes glimpse at Santa's life. Very cute. Definitely recommended.

December 1rst
Wishes blowing in
from my overfilled mailbox
Beth
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Of the Cybils picture book/poetry options, this is the first one where I felt the pictures and the poems worked together, making a stronger team than the two separate forms. In the others, both poems and pictures were pretty, but often felt like they were pulling in opposite directions, or just weren't really talking to each other, instead being the independent interpretation of a writer and an artist to an idea. Santa Clause's poems and illustrations are inextricably linked, providing ideas and ...more
Linda
This can serve as a marvelous countdown to the 25th; however, you can just find the book and enjoy it in one sitting, too. Raczka has written 26 haiku to share in the countdown to Christmas, and what beautiful ones they are, accompanied by detailed, nostalgic illustrations. One thing that is wonderful is the way Mrs. Claus is included in some of both the story and the pictures. Another is that there are a few pages showing Santa reading, one time alone, last minutes of the day? And another readi ...more
Matt Forrest Esenwine
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I didn't think I was going to like this book. The premise was intriguing, but I've read child-friendly thematic haikus before and they have left me underwhelmed. This book, however, is a joy. Each day of December has its own haiku, and the poems are not just simple 5-7-5 images of scenes. The author takes the time - and has the poetic frame of mind - to create some unique and unexpected juxtapositions and connections. Take, for example, this one:

Replacing bad bulbs
with good ones, movin
Chris
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
Santa Clauses features 25 haiku poems written by Santa Claus (and Bob Raczka). The poems range from humorous (December 24th: Which is packed tigher, / the sack full of toys or the / red suit full of me?) to touching (December 3rd: Mrs. Claus making / an angel, becoming a / little girl again.) to sublime (December 13th: Mother nature trims / her trees with icicles, snow, / pinecones, and moonlight). The illustrations by Chuck Groenink appear to be mixed media, primarily composed of a combination ...more
Alexandra
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful! The illustrations are so cozy and warm and remind me of snuggling up when I was little to read or watch Christmas movies while the snow fell outside. Perfect gift for a child to countdown the days of Christmas. There is a haiku on every page written by Santa to tell everyone what he is doing that day in preparation for the big day. So great ♥
I can definitely see this being a favorite countdown to Christmas book for kids. A tradition to read every year in anticipation of
Margie
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You may be familiar with a particular visit by St. Nick as recounted in Clement C. Moore's The Night Before Christmas vividly describing the man, his sleigh and reindeer. But I'll bet you didn't know Santa Claus is quite the poet, specializing in haiku. Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole (Carolrhoda Books, a division of Lerner Publishing Group, Inc., September 1, 2014) written by Bob Raczka with illustrations by Chuck Groenink reveals this beloved figure's literary genius.

My full rec
Andréa
This book of Santa haiku works so well I'm surprised no one had thought of it before now!

The somewhat rustic illustrations in Santa Clauses are excellent, and the haiku perfectly summarize a December at the North Pole. Parents may want to use Santa Clauses as an Advent calendar of sorts, reading one haiku each night to count down the days 'til Christmas.

Note: I received a digital copy of this book through NetGalley.
Kid Lit Reviews
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Santa writes about the letters he receives for Christmas wishes, the snowy weather, decorating the house with Mrs. Claus, and the elves working in their workshop, among other topics. For a peek into life at the North Pole there is no better source than the man himself. Who knew Santa was a poet? Bob Raczka did.

Continue Reading --> http://kid-lit-reviews.com/2015/11/29...
Oliver
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked the first and second poem. I liked that the mailbox looked like a dog and it was storming and the cards were flying out of the dogs mouth. I liked the second one because Santa likes the cute little snowman with the very big head and he admires his nose because it looks like he ate it. Read the rest of this book to enjoy the rest of the poems and see which one you like best.
Mary
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Santa's a poet and I didn't even know it! This book of Santa's haikus (one for each day starting with December 1st and ending on Christmas Day) is beautiful. The poems and the illustrations work nicely together to build anticipation for the big day. I can see a family sharing this together - one poem each day - as a poetic form of an Advent Calendar.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Won Ton and Chopstick: A Cat and Dog Tale Told in Haiku
  • I Am the Book
  • Orangutanka: A Story in Poems
  • When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons

Junior Library Guild Selection (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Emma and the Blue Genie