Start by marking “Flashlight: (Picture Books, Wordless Books for Kids, Camping Books for Kids, Bedtime Story Books, Children's Activity Books, Children's Nature Books)” as Want to Read:

Inside the tent it's cozy, but what is going on outside? Is it dark? Is it scary? Not if you have your trusty flashlight!

A charming story told solely through images: Through neatly drawn illustrations and a spare yet dramatic color palette, artist Lizi Boyd offers an enchanting exploration of night, nature, and art with Flashlight. Both lyrical and humorous, this visual po
Published August 12th 2014 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Flashlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flashlight

Mischenko
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
To see Wednesday's Wordless Picture Books, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Flashlight by Lizi Boyd is a wordless picture book highlighting a journey through the dark. A child has his flashlight and will make new discoveries in the dark while camping in the forest. There’s a lot to discover in nature if you’ll only take the time to look.

We enjoyed the dark illustrations with the hidden objects in the stream of the light beam. The boy finds all sorts of night-time creatures, plants, trees,
Mir
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
I think I liked the illustrations better as stand-alone pieces of art than as a story.
Luckily I had the cut-outs mentioned to me ahead of time or I might not have even noticed; they're pretty small and the details aren't particularly interesting.

I think this would work well for a kind who was either fond of or afraid of the dark.
Sandra
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A boy, a flashlight and the forest at night. That's all needed to start a great adventure. In this wordless story a little boy discovers the animals that make all these noises during the night. He is being observed by the animals too. And when the flashlight falls and the animals grab it, the interaction begins.

The art is beautiful, full of things to discover in the darkness. The illustrations really make you feel in the forest.

I would suggest to read it at night and with a flashlight!

Find more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A word-less picture book in the nature of I spy but about what can be found in the beam of a flashlight during the dark of night.

Every once in a while I pick up a word-less book as my nephew struggles with words. This one was a great one I thought because he is extremely afraid of the dark and I wondered how he would react to this child hanging out in a tent with only a flashlight...

He was NOT impressed, lol. He thought the kid wa
David Schaafsma
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great silent children's book about what is revealed with a flashlight at night, including creatures, color, when a kid goes out. When the kid drops the flashlight, some of the animals get in the game, too. Really beautiful artwork, in drawing, color and composition. And some cutouts, too.
Jamila
This is a wordless masterpiece with surprises on each page. It is great for a follow-up 'I Spy' activity.
Melki
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a world of wonders awaits when you're outdoors after dark!

This is just a delight, with illustrations by the author that demand to be pored over.

description

I loved it when the animals take charge of the flashlight.
The Library Lady
Normally I am not into wordless books, but the black and white world with only the objects in the path of the flashlight being revealed in color is amazing and truly needs no text. This is a textbook example of how effective a real artist's work can be in a picture book. The sort of thing the Caldecott geniuses pass by in favor of ugly "hip" art.
Samantha N
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless
1.Amazon.com Best Books of the Year 2014, Ages 3–5; ALA Notable Books for Children 2015, Younger Readers; 2015 Bologna Ragazzi Award for the Fiction

2.Pre Kindergarten- 2nd Grade

3.This outdoor themed book is perfect for readers who enjoy the curiosities of nature. As we follow a boy’s adventures through the night we begin to discover the beautiful colors hidden in the dark black forest. As the little boy shines his flashlight we see colorfully hued animals, trees,and flags. This book even adds a
Jennifer B.
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's wordless and with lovely artwork, so you can follow the story and imagine the details yourself. Very nice.
Jenny
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! This is a clever wordless book.

A young child is camping and goes out in the dark to explore using a flashlight. The flashlight reveals plants and insects, bats and birds, and a whole range of living things. My description is really not doing this book justice. The illustrations are really quite wonderful and it makes me want to go explore the woods more carefully at night.
Chrisanne
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever, clever. But really. A boy and his flashlight exploring the world.
Flora
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story depicts the journey of a young boy through a dark forest at night, and the various creatures of the night that he encounters. The book features a clever use of cutouts to highlight small details that you might've missed the first time around.
Barbara
I enjoyed the author's earlier Inside Outside quite a lot, and I was not disappointed in this follow-up to that picture book. The author relies on a dramatically dark background to serve as a backdrop for small observations during a backyard camping trip or perhaps one that is a little further away from home than that. His flashlight reveals all sorts of scenes in nature; for instance, its light shows bats winging their way through the night in search of insects, two skunks heading for a stream, ...more
Donna Nix
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a nice way to feature night creatures, but the book didn't work all that well for me. The peek-a-boo holes aren't that exciting or interesting. It was hard to figure out what some of the animals are, especially the babies. There is LOTS of detail on every spread, but some isn't entirely logical. For example, birch trees that are white although the moon is behind them, and the flashlight is not shining on them. I'm also not sure what age this is intended for. It seems like preschool/prima ...more
Kenneth
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Great concept. Books with no words are always enjoyable. This book shed light on animals in the forest after a boy gets lost camping. The illustrations are nice and the secret spots in the book are fun to find.
Linda
This makes me want to do a study of the magical things that one can discover by entering the forest dark. A young boy puts up a tent in the forest one night, and through his use of a flashlight, discovers the “night” is alive. After a while, a surprising thing happens, and he too becomes part of the discoveries. Each time I read through this wordless picture book, I saw more. With each page turned, Lizi Boyd gathers what’s been seen, showing through a cut hole, a tiny peek at what’s next. What ...more
Margie
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Flashlight (Chronicle Books) a wordless vision by author illustrator Lizi Boyd is one child's adventurous exploration of the night.

Certain to be a bedtime classic whether sleeping inside or outside Flashlight is a masterful work of art. Lizi Boyd elevates simple to superb. I would plan on having multiple copies. This is sure to be discussed in Mock Caldecott groups.

My full recommendation: http://bit.ly/1sYGDUy
Jan Polep
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Marketed as a visual poem for the preschool crowd, this picture book about what can be spied with a flashlight outside at night has so much going on that kids will say, "Again!" the minute you finish it. Better buy aome batteries for your flashlights because that's the next thing the kids will want to do.
Mary
A clever wordless picture book about a young child exploring the outside at night with a flashlight. The gray and white drawings on black pages beautifully capture the magic and wonder of the nighttime wildlife. This is a book with a rich visual narrative that will inspire nighttime walks with a flashlight.
Peninnah
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect if your little one is afraid of the dark or if you're going on your first camping trip. It's a charming book about overnight adventures. It features no text, making it fun for even the youngest readers. Each page features clever cut outs so small readers may need to be supervised.
Kelsey
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool-1st grade

Boyd uses a remarkable and imaginative use of negative art as a boy casts his flashlight across the forest revealing the color hidden in the night. The pages are full of action and different objects, encouraging the reader to pause and explore the scenery.
Janet
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The end flap says "using a spare palette". Well the palette may be sparse, but the effect of using color for only what the flashlight depicts in the nighttime is stunning and such a different perspective than I have seen. A highly creative book.
Jeimy
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A true picture book, it has no words, this is a delightful read!
N
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and original concept for a picture book!
Michelle Nero
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazing illustrations! What a fun night camping!
Gloria
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No words needed in this lovely, witty book about a kid camping in the forest armed with a flashlight.
Leah (Jane Speare)
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations!
Emily Hernandez
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wordless Book Entry #1

Genre- Flashlight by Lizi Boyd a fantasy fiction book. Fantasy fiction books have elements of things that are make belief, such as magical powers, talking animals or in this book animals that hold flashlights. This book is a primary level book and is perfect for preschool-third grade.

Text-to-Self- This book reminded me of the summers. During the summer we will let our kids stay up late. We campout in the backyard and we have flashlights and we usually take a short walk aro
Maddie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Visual Literacy- Wordless book #1

I think this book is great for primary grades. It is very simple, and younger kids would have a great time pointing out all the bugs and animals and plants they see on each page.

I think this is a realistic fiction book, because a boy could be camping in the woods, and shining his flashlight everywhere, there's just no real proof to show that this is a true story, in fact, it's arguably make-believe because in the end the animals are shining the flashlight on the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »