Start by marking “I Am So Brave!” as Want to Read:
I Am So Brave!

I Am So Brave!

(Empowerment series #4)

This fourth book in the empowerment series celebrates the feats of growing out of toddlerhood with courage and success. Whether it’s petting a dog or waving good-bye to a parent, Krensky and Gillingham address the “small wins” of growing just a little bit braver. Young children and their parents will revel in the encouraging text and the vintage screen-print-style illustra ...more
Board Book, 12 pages
Published July 15th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about I Am So Brave!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am So Brave!

Start your review of I Am So Brave!
Maria Shuffit
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved what I have read so far of this series of books. Really great to see such a positive and uplifting message, and to have the illustrations star children of color. This volume celebrated a child who used to be scared of different things, but overcame those fears as he grew.
Sweetz
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bj-books
Love this book especially since my sons name is Braven. It feels personalized. I’m trying to read him 1000 books before he starts school so this is 1 of 1000.
Kris Dersch
Sweet message, unique illustration style.
Elisabeth
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bold color palate fits perfectly with overcoming fears!
Shaye Miller
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like the artwork in this board book with a bright-eyed main character in every page. On each spread, he shares something he was scared of on the left, followed by something that replaced his fear on the right. Example: “I was scared of the dark. Then I saw the stars shine.” This book appears to be part of an empowerment series put out by Abrams Appleseed.
Caitlinleah
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Lovely letterpress illustrations, very simple colorblocks. Simple, subtly rhyming text doesn’t get into all the different kind of fears or big teachable moments. Family of color. Universal appeal.
kim
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
super cute illustrations, simple but good text
One Code 431
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the massage of this book
Barbara
Part of the Abrams Appleseed series on empowerment, this title describes various situations that might cause anxiety in a little one and then on the facing page, describes how trying something new has eased that fear. The appealing illustrations are bright and simple. One of the elements that I liked about this book is how the little boy always seems to have something such as a stuffed toy or someone older nearby to provide reassurance.
Tasha
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I Am So Brave by Stephen Krensky, illustrated by Sara Gillingham is the fourth book in their empowerment series. This book focuses on overcoming fears like dogs, swimming, the dark and even saying goodbye to a parent. Told very simply, the book is about the joy of overcoming rather than the process of doing so. Still, it will encourage children to face their fears.
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is cute, short, and brand new to our library. Yay for female child of color being the protagonist. Lots of fears that kids can relate to, and depending on your audience size, you can converse with them about each page.
Siennaskies
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Simple rhyming verses about overcoming fears which is great for little toddlers. Bold, simple colours and shapes are easy to understand and appealing to the young reader. My daughter loved this book.
Colette
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I know a little girl who has become much braver this year in kindergarten! She cried the first day, but has not shed a tear, except when she isn't on green! I love books that help kids see the great things and strides they have made in our world!
Jen
cute message. clean bold pictures with limited color palette.
Christine
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun modern prints! Nice story about overcoming fears. Might work as part of hero/heroine storytimes.
Hayley DeRoche
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
Bright graphics, and simple but powerful/empowering text for toddlers.
Kelly Ford
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is so cute. It has simple sentences, but still conveys a clear message and is interesting. I plan on reading this book at one of my toddler times.
Lisa Mcbroom
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Child Friendly Book about overcoming fears!
Efox
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Super cute story about overcoming fears.
Miss Sarah
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
a simple board book about beings cared of something and then getting to try it for yourself to overcome it. Would make an okay multiple.
Dana
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Big dogs, the dark, and other fears that many young children have are conquered by the brave child in this cute book with colorful, fun illustrations.
Stephanie Sapp
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-2x2
two thumbs up given by littlest family member.
mg
Adorable illustrations and rhymes...great message for brave (or soon-to-be-brave!) toddlers.
Bethe
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Short and sweet advice to give something scary a try, you might like it, looking at the bright side of things.
Ginny Daniels
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Super cute, short, rhyming story for pre-K kids about trying new things in order to overcome fears.
Rebecca
A board book featuring an black child who is so brave! He has normal fears, but is able to get over them. Great pictures with primary colors, created for boardbook format, with just enough text.
Candis
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short, easy reader on overcoming fear. Beautiful bold colours. Good stuff.
Valerie
Oct 24, 2018
Susie
Jun 30, 2015
Brandi
Jun 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Extra Yarn
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • Barnyard Dance
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Goodnight Train
  • In My Heart: A Book of Feelings
  • Little Blue Truck's Springtime
  • Little Monkey Calms Down
  • Because of an Acorn
  • Triangle
  • It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book about Gender Identity

Empowerment series (4 books)
  • Now I Am Big!