Start by marking “The Confession” as Want to Read:
The Confession

The Confession

"Fans of John Grisham will find much to like here." —Library Journal

Assistant DA Holt Douglas has made a career of getting confessions from criminals. With a confession in hand, he knows a guilty plea is soon to follow.

In the midst of professional success, Holt is haunted by a secret—a
Published August 12th 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published August 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Confession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confession

Start your review of The Confession
TL
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in a exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
---

Good story but overall never felt as connected to everyone/everything as I wanted to be.
Juanita
Sep 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm about a third of the way through "The Confession" and have decided not to give it any more time. It's boring...there's nothing happening. The most intriguing part has been the prologue...it was a good hook to pull me in but after that there hasn't been anything to hold me. There's a lot of description of what's occurring but the author isn't giving me insight into what the characters are thinking, at least not beyond the obvious. It also comes across as a bit juvenile. I've read some YA ...more
Jerry
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another good read from Robert Whitlow.
Barbara
I have enjoyed any book I've read by Robert Whitlow so far. This one deals with the effects secrets and deceptions from the past can have on your life years later. Knowing you killed someone in an accident and then didn't come completely clean about it would be tough to deal with. There is a lot of spiritual growth and change in one of the characters, and the ending was not totally predictable, which I appreciated. Sometimes I figure out who did something halfway through the book, and it wasn't ...more
Michael
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Robert Whitlow returns to his roots with his latest character-driven legal thriller The Confession. After giving us a couple of novels that stretched both him and his readers, it's nice to see Whitlow get back to a well-told legal story that is easily on par with some of his best works.

Years ago, Holt Douglas made a mistake -- and his best friend died. Holt lied at the time and has been carrying around that guilt since that time. But you wouldn't know it from looking at Holt's life today. He's
Amy S
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first Robert Whitlow book. It was very well written and kept me thinking what was the next step in the story. One I couldn't figure out. The story was believable with enough reality in it to keep the reader hooked. I appreciated the ending. James Scott Bell has a similar style and I've enjoyed his stories too.
Elisabeth Turner
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Whitlow is a master! He always shows the spiritual dimension in his books, which gives his books an extra layer of depth.
This story is more simple than most of his other books, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are enough twists to surprise. By the end you can see God's hand in the characters' lives even though it's hard to discern from the beginning (like in real life).
I am recommending The Confession to friends and family.
Tom Robinson
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an exceptional read - full of face paced, changing dialogue and intrigue. In the beginning, there are almost two focal personalities - one the stronger Christian, in some ways, the other a searcher of sorts. But, their roles shift and change, and one is shown to be a weaker vessel - which I'm not so certain that I liked. And, the wrap-up seems to abrupt - no epilogue to tie it all together; and, maybe that opens the door for another volume with similar / same characters.
JFN Rich
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was hard to follow the characters ... they went from being a 'mom' to be called 'Marge' or some such thing. Too many characters. Plot develops slowly. Kept thinking it'd get better but halfway through I still wasn't engaged.
Not characteristic of the masterful writer Robert Whitlow. He usually has more suspense, and less run-around. I'll keep reading all his books though!
David
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the second of Robert Whitlow's books I've read. This one had a good balance between character and plot. There were some twists and turns both in the plot as well as the relationships among the characters, which made for a great read. The ending was very satisfying, bringing full closure to all the questions that the story opened.
Roosevelt Wright
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Read

I liked the twists in the plot and the underlying truth the novel presented. However, the excessive attention given to mundane details and non essential conversations made it a longer read than necessary. It did establish a small town feeling, but it was a bit much. It was still a great read.
David
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some interesting themes explored that kept me turning the pages. Would have been intrigued by some great variation in how it all gets resolved, which left the ending a bit flat, but still an enjoyable read.
Sue
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert whitlow has delivered a intriguing story !

This book is full of real life! There are many foundational truths weaves into this story. The story keeps the reader engaged and surprised!
Dana Michael
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

The Confession was a page turning suspense that dealt with a young DA whose past came back to haunt him. It made me think of my sin and how Christ can forgive and forget. He is much more forgiving than humans are. This book was a good picture of that.
Ian Healey
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Robert Whitlow. Partly about doing the right thing from the wrong motives, the main characters again go through the whole range of emotions before discovering that grace and mercy are more important than justice.
Loke
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by whitlow, I have never read a Christian legal book before, and I have to say I absolutely LOVED it!! I will for sure read more of his books I was sad when I finished.. I wanted more!! plus the ending was very satisfying, a must read!!
Jan
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
This book was my least favorite of his writings. The ending was developed too fast, and many of the conversations in his dialogue were stilted I felt. He is one of my favorite Christian authors but this one, was packaged too unreal. Sorry
Linda
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* Enjoyed it, but not my favorite of this author's books.
Kim
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a great read, and the story has a twist, but not sure I liked how they handed the people that were in the wrong at the end.
Cathy
After he read it, my husband suggested that I might like this book. I did. It had an easy-going pace, but still had the drama, mystery, humor, and adventure.

The ending was a surprise to me, not who did it, but the characters' reactions to it, and what happened from there.

I liked the interwoven themes of guilt, confession, and forgiveness throughout the book. I also liked the Pennington character, and the conversations that he had with Holt around basketball. (I don't like basketball, but these
Anita
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plchc
Assistant DA works in a small town. Becomes involved in a closed case. Interesting read. Subtle Christian subplot, that covers importance of confession.
Deb
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

Story line held my interest. Was kind of slow at first but then couldn't put it down! Gave it 5-stars because there was no offensive language & no sexual content.
DIANA L BARRISS
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

An excellent book that keeps the reader engaged until the very end. I highly recommend this book to all my reader friends
Diane
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read and a well written book.
Caryl
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
OH!MY!WORD! I loves this powerful story of redemption. This book was hard to put down. I highly recommend this book.
Iris
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book

First time reading, this author book. I look forward to reading many more. Reading God's word is so refreshing and so inspiring..
Helen Pickering
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The confession

As usual Whitlock outdid himself wonderful story of mistakes and forgiveness always enjoy his books we could all learn from this
Lisa Johnson
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Confession
Author: Robert Whitlow
Pages: 416
Year: 2014
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Confession-Robe...
Upon opening the book I read this quote, “Confession is a bridge everyone must cross. This book is dedicated to the guides of grace who help us in the journey.” How profound! When I read it, I thought how truthful it is, and it piqued my interest. The thrust of the story brings home to our hearts the need to both receive and to give forgiveness to others. The
Andrea Montack
Good Read

I really enjoyed this book. Story was interesting,characters well developed and it was not predictable. I have read a few books by this author and will read more
Main take away is that confession is good for the soul. Regardless of its cost.
Victor Gentile
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Robert Whitlow in his new book, “The Confession” published by Thomas Nelson takes us into the life of Holt Douglas.

From the back cover: Confession is good for the soul, but it could mean death to an ambitious young lawyer.

In the midst of professional success, Holt is haunted by a secret—a lie he buried in the grave of his best friend. Holt’s crime
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Rule of Law
  • Imperfect Justice (Hidden Justice #2)
  • False Witness
  • State of Lies
  • Stress Test
  • All She Ever Wanted
  • Cassidy (Big Sky Dreams, #1)
  • Predator
  • Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales
  • The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond
  • Exquisite Justice (Marc Kadella Legal Mystery #9)
  • Evidence of Mercy (Sun Coast Chronicles, #1)
  • Vanishing Point (Nikki Boyd Files #4)
  • The Patient One (Walnut Creek, #1)
  • Oceans Apart
  • Try Fear
  • Two Weeks (The Baxter Family, #5)
  • Distortion (Moonlighters, #2)
Robert Whitlow is the best-selling author of legal novels set in the South and winner of the prestigious Christy Award for Contemporary Fiction. A Furman University graduate, Whitlow received his J.D. with honors from the University of Georgia School of Law where he served on the staff of the Georgia Law Review. A practicing attorney, Whitlow and his wife, Kathy, have four children. They make ...more