Start by marking “The Promise” as Want to Read:
The Promise

The Promise

Mallory’s search for happiness leads her to a faraway place. There she finds heartache, betrayal—and danger.

Mallory Hammond is determined that no one will stand in the way of her goal—to save a life. She had that chance years ago, and she failed to take it, leaving her adrift and in search of the real meaning of her life. Finally, she meets a man online from a volatile cor
Published October 7th 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2014)

Jennifer Smith
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book! This was one of those where I stayed up very, very late, against my better judgement, because I could not stop reading. The concept behind this book was intriguing, the action kept moving, and it was just an enthralling read in general. I love many books, but few captivate me as The Promise did.

Mallory, the main character, ends up making a dangerous journey to Pakistan to (possibly) marry a man -- in name only -- as a desperate attempt to save his leukemia-ridden daughter
Kate (The Shelf Life)
The fact that this story is inspired by actual events amazes me! My goodness. This story had me hooked from the prologue. You start the story off with such hope as Mallory has wonderful news for her cousin, but we come to find out years later, her hope was crushed and a new desire has come in to play.

Mallory is a girl who has a deep passion to help someone. She suffered a trauma when she was younger and it has haunted her ever since. As I progressed into the story, Mallory came off as a girl who
sue
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it

I used to read a lot of Amish/Christian type reads, and when I saw a Beth Wiseman book on Net Galley I requested it, seeing as it was the kind of books I used to enjoy I thought I would travel back and read one of hers as I have read ones written by her previously.

I have to say though, this is NOT at all what I expected. The Beth Wiseman books I have previously enjoyed I cannot fault, but the topic in this one left me a bit 'yawny' and although I finished it from front page to last page, I can h
Kristin
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.
Oh my gosh. Wow. This was such an amazing book. A little background first, and perhaps this will explain why this book hit so close to home for me. When I was younger, and carefree, and thought love made the world go ‘round, I fell in love with someone online and moved to another country, another continent. It was pre-9/11, and certainly in a safer place in the world than Mallory chose, but I was still in a culture sh
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
I wasn't sure what to expect from reading The Promise. It definitely turned out to be quite different than what I thought it would be. The story deals with the aftermath of 9/11 in some ways, specifically with air travel, security, and how both Americans and Muslims felt towards each other. There was definitely a lack of trust created from those terrorist attacks and the subsequent reactions.

The story revolves around a woman, Mallory, in her young 30's whose tunnel vision for what she believes s
iamjenai
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book tells the story of Mallory Hammond's promise to a dying cousin. Since she couldn't donate her kidney to Kelsey as she was too young for an operation, she vowed to do it and save someone else's life when she's older.

Right after college, Mallory spent all her time literally looking at every opportunity where she can save life. She even worked in a medical clinic so she can help people while waiting to fulfill her promise. One day, an opportunity came knocking on her door. A dying girl fro
Staci
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I do not give a 5 star rating lightly. My record this year is awarding 5% of my reads a 5 star rating. The book has to be phenomenal or move me dramatically. I've read one other book my Beth Wiseman, The House that Love Built, and that was an enjoyable contemporary romance. The Promise was simply amazing.

I read this novel, which was based upon a true story, in less than 24 hours. In the final pages, I couldn't read quickly enough to keep up with the suspense.

This novel was about a young woman na
Amanda Geaney
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a few notes:

I listened to the audiobook of this title performed by Rebecca Gallagher.
The narrators voice was pleasant and I would gladly listen to another performance.

As for the book, it was well written and entertaining. I found the main character to be likable even though she made a few really poor/foolish/gullible decisions. These choice ultimately serve to test and refine Mallory's faith.

Over the course of the story I gained new insights into Islam as well as Muslim customs and traditio
Gretchen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh! This book had me on my toes the whole time, never knowing what was going to happen next! I got to points in the books were I was literally shaking-from head to toe. I definitely liked all of the new informaton that I learned about Pakistan and also learning more about their religion. I would most definitely reccomend this book, especially if you like learning about different cultures and religions.
Laurel
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mallory is driven by a promise she made to her dying cousin when she was a teenager. Her cousin was dying because she couldn't get a kidney transplant, and Mallory's parents wouldn't let her donate one. Mallory promised her cousin she would save a life.

Now Mallory is an adult, and is all set to make a kidney transplant, when she finds out she has a rare gene that won't allow her to transplant one. She is shattered, and desperately looks for a new way to fulfill her promise. That isn't the only
Iola
Nov 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
When seventeen-year-old Mallory wasn’t allowed to donate the kidney that would have saved her cousin’s life, she made a promise to herself that one day she would do it. She would save a life. Twelve years later, she has another opportunity, but her parents aren’t going to like this one either, because it involves a trip to Pakistan and a sick teen. And her long-term boyfriend, Tate, isn’t happy either.

I quickly discovered Mallory is my least-favourite kind of fictional heroine: noble, academical
Emma J
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, religion
3.5 stars!!!

I had no expectations going into this book, as I haven't heard anything (good or bad) about it & the synopsis was incredibly vague, but I think that's the best way to go into reading this-knowing nothing. It had absolutely nothing to do with what I had thought it was going to, which actually a really nice surprise lol. The storyline is unlike anything I have ever read before, which I greatly appreciated because I have been looking for something new and not romancy, and althoug
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Intense. Frustrating. Eye-opening. The author Beth Wiseman personally knows the young woman whose experience this story is based on and does an amazing job bringing the realities of the other side of the world to the page. Told from multiple points of view, the reader is able to sense that not all is what it seems. Mallory's compassionate and emotional nature overrides her common sense and she is focused solely on having an amazing "life experience" despite the warnings and red flags that she ch ...more
Anita
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Good information except a glaring mistake, they kept saying that the one true God and Allah were the same. See link for info: http://www.bpnews.net/16527/differenc...
Alice Wilson
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Promise kept me glued to the pages. I was agreeing with Mallory, yelling at her, and fearing for her life. Great read.
Laurie Carlson
Lafourche Parish Library
Wow!!! The Promise by Beth Wiseman was intense, frustrating, and eye-opening. This book was based on a real-life story, and the author, Beth Wiseman, does an amazing job bringing the realities of the middle-eastern world to the page. Told from multiple points of view, the reader is able to sense that not all is what it seems.

Mallory has a kind and tender heart and has been on a mission to help others since she was a teenager, but her plans to help her cousin were squashed by her parents. Once sh
Jessie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mallory had the chance to save her cousin's life by donating a kidney; but, her parents put a stop to that. When her cousin died, Mallory made a vow to save a life, no matter what.

Mallory works for a doctor who is from Pakistan. When his cousin contacts him for input on his sick daughter, it becomes obvious that the only solution is to find an American for him to marry so that his child can be treated in America. Even though Mallory is in love with her long time boyfriend, Tate, she thinks she s
Claudia Blanton
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Considering that this book is based on a true story, I had truly high hopes for it. The premise sounded enticing and incredibly interesting. But it failed short in delivery.
The Promise had me bored to tears at times, with interludes of excitement and genuinely good writing, which only showed me how much better the entire book could have been if the Author would have put a little more effort into the story.
The good part is, that it is not such an in-your-face Christian story, that someone who i
Roland Gonzalez
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It Felt Too Real

Several years ago, when this book was first published, I entered a drawing for a signed copy and won! As I began to read the first chapters it all seemed so real, and I had to put the book aside. Having my own precious daughters entering adulthood didn't help.
Being a big fan of Ms Wiseman, when I ran across my copy the other day, I decided to give it another shot. It took me 4 evenings to finish it. I couldn't put it down.
You will be drawn into this story, I guarantee it.
Mary Wilkerson
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping novel that touches the heart. Beth wiseman takes you to a land you have yet to discover. In this book a girl felt useless when she couldn't be a doner. So when she was old enough to decide, she vowed she would, and so she found a girl in a different country/lifestyle. She got in touch with a guy, he seemed very dark and mysterious but had a nice fake personality on the outside. But she found out something that made her have to leave to get to safety from him. But could she get ...more
Debbie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read Christian fiction books, and this was not it. Sorry, I stopped reading this book after two chapters, because I was confused. Islam? Catholic boyfriend, inching his girlfriend toward the bedroom? “Why don’t we just move in together...?” Went on Goodreads to read the reviews and even get spoilers, trying to understand why Thomas Nelson publishing would publish this book. Allah and God are not the same, by the way.
Babetta
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was not very enjoyable. I almost quit several times. It was slow to get started as well. I can't imagine an actual adult woman deciding to do what she did. She was incredibly naive and gullible. The ending was far too brief, and there were loose ends. My expectations were high, but this one didn't deliver for me.
Alicia Lowery
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Wow. This book caught me by surprise. This isn’t my normal “type” of book. Almost a biography more than Fiction it seemed. But wow. There came a point when I couldn’t put it down. This wasn’t like any other Beth Wiseman book I’d read. So suspenseful!!
Rae Ann
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was defiantly not what I was expecting. My heart was happy, sad, and and scared to death. Proof that we focus so much on something important to us that we lose sight of reality and make poor decision! Wow my heart was racing!
Grace Tolman
I am deciding to stop reading this while I'm ahead. The story did not grab me and as much as I have respect for the Muslim religion and community, this particular story with those undertones do not interest me.
Mandie
May 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
If you enjoy books about weak and stupid women, then this is the one for you. I'm also not sure how it could possibly be labeled as Christian fiction.
Susan
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: slmta
The ending seemed too short, I want to know what happened to the characters, besides the main ones.
Sherri
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book but if you're looking for a Christian romance, this isn't it.
Beth
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Litfuse Publicity for no charge in exchange for my honest review of this book. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Book Description:

• Dreaming on Daisies (Love Blossoms in Oregon, #3)
  • Motherless
  • All My Belongings
  • A Bride in Store (Unexpected Brides, #2)
  • Light of the Last (Wars of the Realm, #3)
  • The Lady and the Officer (Civil War Heroines #2)
  • The Bachelor (Plain City Peace #2)
  • On Shifting Sand
  • The Turning
  • Destination Unknown (Roadside Assistance #2)
  • Love Without End (Kings Meadow Romance, #1)
  • The Tomb: A Novel of Martha (The Living Water, #3)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Friend Me
  • Sadie's Secret (The Secret Lives of Will Tucker, #3)
  • The Dandelion Field (Banister Falls, #1)
  • A Matter of Heart (Lone Star Brides, #3)
  • Woman of Courage
"I wish I had the time to review books and chat with you here, but my writing deadlines just don't allow it. Please like my Fans of Beth Wiseman Page on Facebook where I try to post any news and interact with readers."
Beth is the best-selling and award winning author of the Daughters of the Promise series - Plain Perfect, Plain Pursuit, Plain Promise, Plain Paradise, and Plain Proposal. She is co