Start by marking “The Doom Patrol Omnibus” as Want to Read:
The Doom Patrol Omnibus

The Doom Patrol Omnibus

(Doom Patrol (1987) #1-6)

The new Doom Patrol puts itself back together after nearly being destroyed, and things start to get a lot weirder for everybody. The Chief leads Robotman, the recently formed Rebis and new member Crazy Jane against the Scissormen, part of a dangerous philosophical location that has escaped into our world and is threatening to engulf reality itself.
Collecting Grant Morriso
Published August 5th 2014 by Vertigo

Donovan

"I simply refuse to bear any more of this hideousness without some booze."

Let's go back to the brain of Grant Morrison in 1989. Art history, fantasy, science-fiction, meta fiction, psychedelia, humor, horror, and surrealism can all be found in Doom Patrol, weirder even than Invisibles. And what a "barrel of chittering chimps" it is!

Totally ape shit crazy and fun, the best and most impressionable series ever. But I would almost definitely say that you should be a diehard Morrison fan to enjoy thi
Cheese
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is absolutely massive and it ends up being a hindrance, because the story should have ended a lot earlier.

The best thing about the Doom Patrol are the characters. You have...

Robot man - a man who's brain was implanted into a robot body to prevent him from dying. He whines a lot! Verdict - He's absolutely useless.

Crazy Jane - she's probably my favourite. She has countless different personalities and each personality has its own power, whether that be spitting fire, being a wolverine ty
Matthew Quann
It is my opinion that if we had to appoint someone to do massive amounts of hallucinogens and produce art, Grant Morrison would be a fine candidate. Filled to the brim with mind-bending, nonsensical, and the palpably weird, Doom Patrol is a classic of the weird comic genre that lives up to its quite impressive hype.

The motley crew that makes up the Doom Patrol features the following misfit superheroes:

*A man and woman fused together by a negative spirit!
*A robot with a man's brain!
*A normal su
Anthony
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: omnibus
Well this was... interesting...

Heard mixed things on this. Some people lauding it as one of the greats, others saying they struggled to make it half way.

I'm sure it was great when it came out in the late 80s/90s from that new Scottish writer who wrote Arkham Asylum and is a little weird.

It's not your classic superhero team book, which is fine, but it's also not very coherent at times and is a little hard to follow.

I think l like having read it more than I did actually reading it, if that makes
Saif Saeed
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Instant. Favorite.

So this series is part of the "UK writers reviving dying DC series" like Alan Moore on Swamp Thing and Morrison on Animal Man. It suffers from the same issue of it basically starting sort of in the middle but just like most of the revival series, you don't need any prior knowledge of Doom Patrol to start or enjoy this series. All you need to know is one thing.

It gets weirder.

I don't want to spoil anything in this series. I believe that Morrison's writing is so insanely absurd t
Brandon St Mark
Maybe my favorite comic by Morrison I've read yet, only Flex Mentallo can compete with it. I really like the stories from this run. They were really creative, unique, and enjoyable to read. The characters were the same, Rebis, Crazy Jane, and Mr Nobody being my favorites. The art was weird, but not difficult to follow. It so cool to see how this run continues to influence the team even in the most current run.
Satyajit Chetri
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
So patchy. I loved the series the first time I read it just because it was completely out there. Where else would you see a character that is a transvestite talking street? Or a supervillain group called the Brotherhood of Dada (as in the art movement)? The story arc called The Painting That Ate Paris is worth the price of admission alone, with the characters trapped in a painting that has different "zones", each representing a different art style.

10 years later, it feels like Morrison threw eve
Roybot
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't know anything about the guy, but, reading Doom Patrol, one gets the sense that Grant Morrison is one weird dude. Probably a lot of fun at parties, but weird.

This is an older run of comics collected in one massive tome heavy enough to brain a panda with, certainly. I mostly know the Doom Patrol as "that DC group that is always compared to the X-Men." I can understand why that comparison comes up, but the differences between them seem more significant here than the similarities.

This is d
Brian
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"There's a better world. There has to be."
John Pistelli
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
In my review of Boris Groys's In the Flow, I somehow failed to note the thesis in art history for which Groys became famous: his main claim was that, as the avant-garde's dream before the Russian Revolution was the total transformation, along artistic lines, of their entire society, then the "official" Socialist Realist art of Soviet Russia was in fact the legitimate successor and fulfillment of the avant-garde since it inherited the function of aesthetically recomposing the social. The avant-ga ...more
Shane Perry
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is easily in my Top 5 favorite comics of all time, and quite possibly the best thing from either Marvel or DC. So great. Heartwarming, heart breaking, hilarious, scary, and just plain weird. Grant Morrison pulls no stops here. Definitely a comic that's better experienced than explained.
Tim
Not my favorite thing by Morrison (that would be Animal Man) but still an absolute classic that no comics fan should miss.
Rolando Marono
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Todos los cómics que he leído desde hace 5 años (el momento en el que dejé de leer solo Marvel y "expandí mis horizontes") se ha tratado de repetir la sensación, la emoción que me provocó Watchmen. Esa fascinación, esa sorpresa, esas preguntas, esas platicas, esas reflexiones de horas sobre lo que Moore plasma en su obra, esas horas releyéndola para captar más detalles y más simbolismo, y la sensación cuando encuentras cosas que refuerzan lo que piensas que Moore te quiere decir, cuando todas es ...more
Abdullah Ali
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of Grant Morrison's better titles. This omnibus is MASSIVE! And an engaging, fun, twisted, psychedelic, ridiculous, beautiful story with the craziest most colourful and imaginative comic book characters ever with each flip of the page.
I got into this by being a huge My Chemical Romance fan, and Gerard Way being a crazy comic book nerd, this series was always at the top of his list. I just had to check it out, especially since he was taking it on himself with the Young Animal imprint. I wante
Daniel Eastman
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone talks about how great Watchmen is but this is the best superhero team coming out of retirement story I’ve ever read. Morrison seems to want his audience to have fun and be happy while writing intelligent, dare I say brilliant, storylines.
Mike
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been reading the new Doom Patrol from the DC Young Animal imprint. I like how weird it is but I felt like a lot of context was missing as I'd never read any of the previous incarnations. As the Grant Morrison one is considered groundbreaking, I figured I'd give it a go and bought the three big omnibus trades.

Lemme tell you... it is... nutso. I mean if you've read it, you know it. If you haven't, then I can't even really explain it to you. It's basically an art piece. Which is really amazing
Nigel
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
At the one end of the Vertigo spectrum you had Sandman: brooding, gothic, sensitive, chilling, frightfully clever. At the other end you had this: brash, bawling, loud, surreal, probably deserved to be called a word with -punk added at the end but never was, thank God. Mental illness defines these characters as well as physical disabilities or deformities. Depression, dissociation, multiple personalities, schizophrenia, fugue states, mood swings - hardly the stuff of a heroic superteam, unless yo ...more
Ciaran Mcgrath
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grant Morrison is a writer I have a love-hate relationship with. At his best, he writes intricately constructed stories that burst at the seams with imagination and weirdness. At his worst, the imagination and weirdness tip over into pretension, though the line on that will likely depend on the reader. This, one of his most notable early works, collected in a massive omnibus, probably veers more towards the latter category, but the imagination constantly rescues it, as do the sympathetic charact ...more
Michael
I read these in their original monthly form, waiting between issues for my newest dose of surrealist comic book super hero story. I love ideas and I love it when idea after idea is shared/discussed one after another. The last issue 63 still breaks my heart when I read it now as much as when I first read it.
Andrew Turner
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really great book. Some of the story lines were better than others. And a few of them were amazing.
Angela
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fulfilled my every comic book desire. You've got a motley crew of heroes, an equally motley crew of anti-heroes, DC continuity, deception, A+ character development, and art that lends itself both to quick, ravenous reading and to hours of 'I Spy.' MAGNIFICENT!
Matt
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I tried really hard to get into Doom Patrol, and it does have its moments. Unfortunately, Morrison completely ruins more than one character from the original '60s DP, which I found impossible to appreciate. I look forward to selling this for nice bucks when it goes out of print.
Zachary

• The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 11: The Future
  • The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Absolute Promethea, Book Two
  • Hellblazer, Volume 7: Tainted Love
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive (New Edition)
  • Astro City, Vol. 12: Lovers Quarrel
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

Doom Patrol (1987) (6 books)
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 1: Crawling from the Wreckage