Start by marking “Marriage Most Scandalous” as Want to Read:
Marriage Most Scandalous

Marriage Most Scandalous

Lady Margaret Landor first met Sebastian Townshend as a child, when he caught her peeking into her older sister’s engagement ball. Tall, dashing, and charming, Sebastian was one of the most sought-after bachelors in Kent and cut a romantic figure she would not soon forget. Never did she dream that one day she would be living at his family’s magnificent estate with Sebastia ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 14th 2005 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Marriage Most Scandalous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage Most Scandalous

Start your review of Marriage Most Scandalous
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
When I heard about Marriage Most Scandalous was about I was intrigued. The hero was described as a mercenary which made my ears perk up. I love dangerous romance heroes. What can I say? I was tempted, despite my limited financial funds to buy the book when it came out (from Walmart at a considerable discount), but since money wasn't good I elected to wait. And lo and behold, my patience was rewarded when I found it at the library. I finished the book in 2 days (because I saw three movies also in ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sexy
2.5 I might be at the end of my binge Stars

I occasionally go on a romance run and binge read romance novels back to back until they start to seem silly and tedious…I think I’m there. It isn’t necessarily that this is a bad Historical Romance….but it isn’t a great one either. I LONG for a really good HR story where both the romance and the plot line up and are both good. For me this had a decent plot that I liked the revelation of at the end and the romance had moments but that was about it. Most
Chitra *CJ*
"Marriage Most Scandalous" is the story of Margaret "Maggie" and Sebastian.

What an unexpectedly sweet read!

The book begins with an unwanted duel, which ends in a death, heartbreak and banishment.

Eleven years later, our H, the son of the eighth Earl of Edgewood has assumed the identity of the infamous spy known as "The Raven". He travels the world helping rogues with his companions in exchange for a price, avoiding England like a plague. That is until the h tracks him down..

Our h is a distant fa
Somona
Mar 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Somona by: No one to blame but myself
Talia
Mar 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t like this book. As a rule, the only romance author I read is Amanda Quick. I like her settings and her characters always make me laugh.

But, at some point in life, I picked up this book – probably at an airport or something. After reading it, I’m reminded why I made my Amanda Quick rule.

This book was flimsy. Predictable, clichéd, far-fetched … these are just a few words that come to mind when trying to describe it.

Two things that really bothered me were the author using colloquial slan
KC
Disappointing on two important levels, romance and plot.

The passion between Sebastien and Maggie barely registered as a tremor in earthquake terms. They also didn't spend much time interacting. On top of this, the plots behind Sebastien's banishment and his father's accidents were just too ridiculous to believe. (view spoiler)
Trins
Jun 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Dagg
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book last night, and would have given it five stars except that I thought the ending was a bit rushed. It's not that I thought the author didn't know how to finish the book, but more that she'd been given a set number of pages to complete the novel, and had run out of room. If that is the case, then I think that sucks, because it was a great story, and I had no clue what was going to happen, so was totally surprised with the ending. As to modern words and phrases, there may have ...more
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
This man's words are seducing and charming me right off the pages and into another world of serious relaxation. For these people to be off the upper crust and educated, they most certainly lacked common sense.

Margaret wanted to find one son to help the father, but she got much more than she would have ever bargained for. Sebastian (the Raven) wants nothing to do with his home of birth. Whether its the lure of money, a woman, or family reunion, he is back home and with a puzzle to solve.

This puzz
Erin
Even though this wasn't Johanna at her best, I still really liked 'Marriage most Scandalous'. It was still a fun read-and I must say, since I haven't read a Johanna Lindsey book in a while, it was really nice to read her again. Like a homecoming really.
Victoria
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars
Natasha
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I really enjoyed the story in this book and the characters names! It's not a 5 star because the last few chapters were trying to explain the very intricate plot in a lot of AH-HA moments. Overall, another great Johanna Lindsey book.
Karen
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
What can i say it is a Lindsey. Of course it was good.
Sue
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A sophisticated plot with many secrets, betrayals, and daring deeds before the "happily-ever-after"
Brittany
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been banished by his father after the duel that left his best friend dead, Sebastian Townshend vowed to never return to England. After living for eleven years as the deadly mercenary, The Raven, Sebastian is shocked when his former neighbor, Lady Margaret Landor arrives at his doorstep, looking to hire him. She in turn receives a shock, when The Raven turns out to be the man she was looking to hire him to find.

At home, Sebastian’s father has had several accidents and, suspecting foul pl
Ashley Oxford
Marjo
Dec 24, 2011 marked it as zeroes-and-dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF

I like the first couple of chapters well enough, but the third just feels like it was dropped in out of nowhere, and from then I remembered what I didn't like about this novel when I first read it. Not the lack of consistent characterization (the problem is present - it's like at any given moment the characters are given whatever personality will create the most drama - but I guess the first time it just flew over my head), but the fact that the plot is so damn convoluted! I mean, really!?! T
Renée
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I've read this and it's still SO good!

I've made a decision. (Good Lord, I'm so excited.) I vow to name my future son-- should I be fortunate to have years from now-- as Sebastian. OH GOD NOT ONLY BECAUSE OF THIS BOOK THAT HAD ME MELTING AND FANTASIZING YET AGAIN FOR MEN WITH FROZEN HEARTS AND I TO MELT THEM, no no no! But also for my never ending love for The Little Mermaid.

Oh, Sebastian ❤️

(That came out wrong. Not that I'm fantasizing over my would-be son, given that I
Carmen Alicea
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Margaret Landor is not afraid to fight for what she believes in. She will do anything to help save those she loves. Marriage Most Scandalous is witty, fun, with a Raven you will fall in love with. It kept me engrossed all the way through. I really love this book because it’s full of intrigue, scandal, love, and passion. The characters will make you feel and remind us what family love and unity looks like. Author Johanna Lindsey always knows how to grab the reader’s attention and holds it. I ...more
Zeek
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hist-rom, romance
Eh. That just about sums it up.

If you've read alot of Lindsey's then you've pretty much read this before you've even cracked the spine, although the characters didn't really hang with me like some of her others. Plus the plot kinda fell apart. You've read this plotline a 100 times. The Hero and Heroine pretend their married to get back in with the hero's father who disowned him but is an obvious ploy to get the hero in the heroines bedroom. Disappointing.
Vivian
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-hist
An enjoyable read. It has been more than a...ahem, score of years since I read a book by Johanna Lindsey. That said, this was fun. A twisted plot that got really knotted and perhaps, a little too quickly resolved for my tastes. The emotional changes were sped up, peoples feelings altering and accepting grievances to easily. Then again, I am a grudge bearer and malicious when wronged, so mayhap it is only my view.

Anyway, Marriage Most Scandalous was amusing and diverting.
Mike
Jan 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible, unrealistic sex and a woman who is a sock puppet

Women do not cum immediately when a dick is stuck in them with no foreplay.

When a man abandons you at the altar, in another country, where he has just kidnapped you to, you don't immediately forgive him after he returns e weeks later with no notice.

Also, rape is bad.

Please read this insipid book if you like rape, boring sex, lazy plots, and seriously stupid dialog.
Liz
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had not read a Johanna Lindsey book in a long time and I was really excited about reading this one. It was dissapointing. To me, it started slow and it just did not get any better. I made myself finish it but was skipping some of it along the way. I liked the characters but they did not click in my opinion.
Rach3975
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Johanna Lindsey's books for quick reads that draw me fully into the characters' lives. There was something about this one that just didn't work-I never liked the characters that much and wasn't rooting for them. I hardly ever give up on a book, but I'm 3/4 of the way through and debating whether to finish or bail.
Richelle
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
I listened to this one and really enjoyed it. An exiled son that has to return home to try and figure out what is going on with his father. Is someone trying to kill him? The last part of the book was a complete twist that I had no idea that it would happen like that. Highly recommend it!
Debra
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

What a wonderful story... fast paced— loving and endearing characters. The villains were over the top. Love and hate the perfect combination for this romantic story. A great read for those who enjoy romance novels set in this time period. I recommend this book.
Zel Polev
Caro
May 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Marie
Kelly
I read this novel in two hours because it was so easy and light to fall into. Like a big old comforting marshmallow. The plot was simple enough, though I found that there were a number of facets to the plot that kept my interest and just stopped it being a completely cookie-cutter Regency Romance.

I do wish that the romance between Maggie and Sebastian had been more developed. Their lust was palpable but I never really felt their love. It seemed to come from nowhere without any real foundation.

I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Inheriting Trouble  (Bequest #1)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • The Husband Hunt (Madison Sisters, #3)
  • Wicked Designs (The League of Rogues, #1)
  • The Duchess (Montgomery/Taggert, #16)
  • Wooed by a Wicked Duke (Seductive Scoundrels, #5)
  • Always
  • The Scottish Bride (Brides, #6)
  • The Forgotten Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #5)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Some Like It Wicked (Kincaid Highland, #1)
  • Everlasting
  • The Countess (Madison Sisters #1)
  • The Mad Earl's Bride (Scoundrels, #3.5)
  • My Dangerous Duke (Inferno Club, #2)
  • Mad Jack (Brides, #4)
  • The Heiress Bride (Brides, #3)
  • The Perfect Wife
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom