Start by marking “Blast of the Dragon's Fury (Andy Smithson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blast of the Dragon's Fury (Andy Smithson, #1)

Read Book

Blast of the Dragon's Fury

(Andy Smithson #1)

Video games don’t prepare you to fight dragons!
100+ five-star reviews. Experience it for yourself!

Andy Smithson just found out how much the zap of a wizard's curse can sting. But after an epically bad day, he finds wizards are the least of his problems.

An otherworldly force draws him to a medieval world where fire-breathing dragons, deranged pixies, and vengeful spirits a
Published April 13th 2013 by Woodgate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blast of the Dragon's Fury, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Bert Edens
I received a copy of this book in MOBI format from the author for the purposes of a review. With that in mind, I presume I got the latest and greatest copy of the book, etc.

First, let me say I absolutely love the story. I love the characters Lee has created, how they parallel to the "real world" and the challenges and struggles each faces. I am also a fan of the lessons to be learned by the readers, knowing this book is targeted for middle grade readers (5th to 7th grade, I would presume). I abs
Tina
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on request of the author; she said she chose to ask me because of my previous reading experience on Goodreads with some young adult novels. But, and I’m not sure she knew this, I am also an editor, so I chose to approach this as a project rather than entertainment. That being said, I tried to assess it based on the target age group (8-12). I didn’t really want to give it a “rating”, so I stuck with middle ground 3 stars.

I thought it was a very imaginative and entertaining story – de
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Andy Smithson:Blast of the Dragon's Furyis a wonderful story for kids from middle grade to the tween years to read on their own. It is great for younger children who have an adult who will read it to them.

Andy is a modern boy. He loves to play video games. He has parents who work and don't have time to spend with him. He is expected to do his best in all things without a lot of supervision.

He finds himself pulled into a parallel dimension. Here the King needs help to break a curse that was place
Nancy
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confession time: I readily agreed to review this book, as the promoter had referred a number of very good books to me before. I got the book, and was happily reading along, and I began to think: at whom is this book aimed? It has a relatively solid vocabulary, some complex interactions, and yet subject matter that would clearly delight the pre-teen crowd.

In a separate moment, I was talking with a little girl who just completed first grade, and she and her mom are planning to read her first "chap
Montzalee Wittmann
Andy Smithson Blast of the Dragon's Fury (Andy Smithson #1) by L.R.W. Lee is a middle grade fantasy book and it was sheer delight. Sometimes it is hard for me to read a middle grade book without pulling my hair out. There are exceptions, like Harry Potter and many other good ones and I am adding this to that list. Although the only complaint I have is it ends in a cliff hanger, all else is great. Not really Harry Potter level but really good for kids and VERY tolerable for adults. I got the aud ...more
Bob Stuhlsatz
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I began this book I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Linda's writing style just sucked me in. It is a very simple and smooth style that just kind of leads you by the hand through the story. I enjoyed the book, the first in a series, and now I need to go find book #2!
Blake
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first foray into the realm of independently published novels. And I only made that foray because the author, seeing that I have read and reviewed novels in the fantasy genre and middle grade age range, gave me a copy and asked that I review this book from the perspective of the intended audience.

While there is a fair amount of humor and imagination that would interest a young reader, if I had picked up this book when I was a youngster, I would have stopped reading it after the first
Melissa
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, juvenile
This was a short simple story about a modern day ten year old boy who is transported to a fantasy land and is destined to break a curse there. The writing is probably geared toward third or fourth graders and the story is easy to follow. I'm not sure if it's because I've read a lot of adult and YA fiction lately, but I feel that the writing was a little lacking in finesse. I could have used some more descriptions on feelings in the prologue to add more depth to the characters, and the introducti ...more
Valerie
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good adolescent book. I think the premium age is about 8 to 14 years old. There were some rookie writing mistakes. A couple things that overlapped or didn't quite match up in the story. There was one part that wasn't really discovered, the fact was just there, and I felt there could've been some clarity gained by having the main character learn or discover the enemy king is a 6 headed dragon, rather than all the sudden they are talking about them as one in the same. Also, the previous ...more
Hakuzo Sionnach
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've finished reading this book. I got it through book funnel. This book is a mixed up one for me.

Pros: The story flowed well after the second chapter. The pacing kept moving well enough. The base story has a few interesting events that happened.

Which brings me to the bad parts.

Cons: There are several tense errors throughout the book. A few typos and a random hyperlink for no apparent reason twoards the end. The King felt unrealistic as did half of the characters. The first two chapters are inco
Heather
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to read and review this book by the author because this is the kind of book that I enjoy reading. I love reading the same types of books as my 12 year old son does, so that we can discuss things. He was going to read this along with me, but school and English class got in the way of him finishing it. Anyway, let me just make a quick overall statement before I say anything specific.

I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one!

That said, The Prologue kind of threw me
Joseph
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blast of the Dragon's Fury is a middle grade fantasy book about Andy Smithson and his adventures. Andy is a 10 year old kid with busy parents. He struggles to pay attention in school and seems to get into trouble a lot. One day he is taken to a strange land that has been cursed and is told he must be the one to break it.

For its target audience (middle grade) this was a good book. For one thing, there were dragons, and I love me some dragons. There were some inconsistencies that I noticed, but I
Toeni
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the beginning, I had a hard time rooting for the main character. I acknowledge that he is still a young boy, but all I could think about was what horrible brat he was. Once his "inneru" introduces itself, I found my opinion changing to the better. The "inneru" is a more rugged version of a conscience. This tough talking Jiminy Crickett was a welcome addition to the story and I hope we hear more from it in the future. I also had difficulty with the wizard, Mermin. Although, I understood that w ...more
Aurora
"Andy Smithson: Blast of the Dragon's Fury" tells the story of ten-year-old Andy Smithson, who is mysteriously transported to the world of Oomaldee. There he learns that he may be the only way to stop the curse of fog that has plagued the land for five centuries. Andy must travel with his new-found friend Alden to find the scale of a red dragon, the first step in ending the curse.

"Blast of the Dragon's Fury" is a fun read with interesting characters and a variety of events to set the world and i
Carla
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay... So I started this book thinking... umm.. not into dragons, castles and kingdoms.. and that type of story line.. but ENDED UP LOVING THIS BOOK!!!! I love how right away your sucked into the book. It all beginns with a kingdom, or actually a girl and her kingdom..or a girl her brother & boy and a kingdom... but.. wait.. it involves... it has all the before mentioned and more... I loved Mermin (brother of Merlin) and I also loved how he's somewhat oblivious. I really liked how the book ...more
Roy
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very fun children's book with some great lessons in it. I think kids would find the characters to be believable most of the time and many of them would touch their funny bones at least a few times during the book. The adventure that Andy goes on is very interesting, even I, a 39 year old, am interested to learn what is next in store for Andy and how he will talk with his parents about his adventure there. I would totally recommend this book for children, will be excited to see how my o ...more
Heather
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read Blast of the Dragon’s Fury to my 10- and 12-year-old sons and we all loved it! It’s funny and exciting. The end is a bit of a cliffhanger and the boys immediately told me I had to get the next book to read to them. I highly recommend it to upper elementary/middle school age kids. It’s makes a great read-aloud!
Ronda Fox
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-teen
I received this book free for the purpose of reading and writing a review. I enjoy fantasy novels and I often read books for children/teens because I am a teacher. I was really interested in this book when I saw it. The synopsis describes how the 10 year-old main character, Andy Smithson, is magically transported to a magical, medieval era land of Oomaldee. It mentions magic, potions, dragons, mystical items, grave peril, and a 500 year-old curse.

This sounds exciting right?

The plot was alright,
Kayla
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my opinion of the book.

I really enjoyed Blast of the Dragon's Fury. From the moment I first looked over the map in the front (you know what I'm talking about; every high fantasy novel has one) to the very end of the book, it kept me alternately giggling, facepalming, and struggling not to cheer Andy on out loud.

Andy, our main character, is a 10-year-old boy who can't seem to stay out of tro
Hannah
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody. Fantasy lovers especially, but everyone would probably enjoy it.
Recommended to Hannah by: L. R. W. Lee
I loved it! I always find it hard to review books without giving spoilers, and I want to talk about my favorite parts now! I will do my best to refrain from it.
Andy Smithson is home doing the dishes when all of a sudden he is magically transported to the Land of Oomaldee, surprising himself, as well as the King and his magician, Mermin (Who happens to be related to Merlin). They have no idea why Andy is there, and An
Nancy Hill
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a hidden tunnel Andy Smithson must navigate to complete his quest in Andy Smithson Blast of the Dragon's Fury, the reader will encounter both the expected and unexpected in this YA fantasy. There are curses and riddles. Spies and giants. Dragons and vultures. Talking stones and mysterious voices. Legendary swords and golden keys with unexpected powers. Kings and queens and magicians.

With plot twists and turns galore, this fantasy adventure takes the reader on a journey with the young Andy S
Dianne
You know how you are always TRYING to set a good example for your children by reading and reading and…well you get the idea. Show them what else they can do with their tablets or better yet, let them feel the joy of a book in their hands. Blast of the Dragon’s Fury by L. R. W. Lee is a journey into a fantasy world filled with more than just mere creatures of fables. Every child loves the idea of a dragon, right? Imagine a multi-headed dragon, a wizard/magician related to Merlin, a king cursed to ...more
Lauren Beck
As some people know from reading my other reviews, I am not one to sugarcoat a book, so here we go:

At first, when I started reading this book, I thought it had the potential to be very interesting. The ghosts beta-testing revenge plans with rules and regulations quickly caught my interest, but even quicker than I was interested, I became incredibly disappointed. The plot wasn't nearly as thick or intense as I was hoping for, the curse was the kindest curse I've ever read about even though it was
Grampy
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

“Andy Smithson: Blast of the Dragon’s Fury” by L.R.W. Lee is the ideal Fantasy story to get your middle grade reluctant reader hooked on books. I tried to read this from the perspective of a 12 year old boy, but that was difficult, to say the least. I got so caught up in the story that I had to keep reminding myself I was supposed to be reviewing it as a 12-year-old boy. “Blast of the Dragon’s Fury” is that goo
William Stuart
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Blast of the Dragon's Fury by LRW Lee is one of my latest reads. I found the book through the Independent Author Network, and I loved the cover and the blurb sounded like my kind of book. Read on to see what I thought!

Synopsis (from the author): Ten-year-old Andy Smithson believes he is merely a kid too often in trouble with his overambitious parents--until his destiny as the Chosen One to break a 500-year-old curse is revealed. Swept away to the land of Oomaldee of medieval times, he discovers
Michael
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Michael by: L. R. W. Lee
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
First and foremost, I was asked by the author to read this book from the perspective of an adult thinking on how a middle grader (elementary school) would experience the book. And I have to say immediately, I would and did let my 6th grader read the book and what I have heard from her is glowing reviews. Not only that, but I personally thoroughly enjoyed the book as well.

I would not have guessed that I would have been sucked into the book so quickly, but I was. As I asked my daughter what she th
Charlotte
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for dragons and fantasy and misunderstood kids. It is almost always a great combination.

I began to read this book with anticipation and a little bit of trepidation. Anticipation for the possibility that the book seemed to promise. The trepidation came because I had just finished a book that utterly disappointed me by not living up to the promise of the jacket blurb.

I am relieved to say that this book was not a disappointment.

It was a joy.

L.R.W. Lee writes a delightful story for a y
Beckie Treble
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves mystical creatures
Recommended to Beckie Treble by: L. R. W Lee
The author, asked me to read and review this book, and last night I finished it. More than half the book was read last night. Up to 4am, and I could not put this book down. At all.

Wow, I know this is a children's book, but Harry Potter is too, and most of us love that. You'll love this book too. It's got adventure, a little boy taken from our world to the town of Ooomaldee. I love the names. The town of ooohh is my favourite. The Linda must have had fun coming up with these names!

The people who
Robin Morgan
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
I won a PDF.file copy of this copy during Week 3 of the Grand Opening Celebration for YA Insider website and the following is my honest opinion.

Being a Book Reviewer as well an author I’ve learned to look pass any editing issues which might exist and concentrate on the story a book has to offer. [To err is human, to forgive divine.]

To begin with book is an allegory of things all young children should learn at an early age: acceptance of others. truth, honesty, integrity, and perseverance. These
Shimmywith4
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the name of honesty I will start by saying three things:
1. The author gave me a PDF version of the book in exchange for my review.
2. Because a lot of my friends ( who are the most likely to read this) are pretty religious and this is geared to be a children's book- I feel it needs to be said that the very first chapter truly needs to be read as fiction. Think mythology even, totally different views of the after world.
3. I liked it. If good reads had half stars i would have given it a 3.5. I a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Tommy Black and the Staff of Light (Tommy Black #1)
  • Anni Moon & The Elemental Artifact
  • The Dragon and Princess Madeline
  • Zoe & Zak and the Ghost Leopard (Zoe & Zak Adventures, #1)
  • Ethan Wright and the Curse of Silence
  • The Blue Eyes Trilogy Complete Collection (Blue Eyes, #1-3)
  • Escape From The Forbidden Planet
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • The Winged Fae (The World of Fae, #3)
  • The Cursed Nile (JJ Sterling, #2)
  • The Trouble With Toads (The Secret Stepsister Society, #1)
  • How To Be A Goddess
  • The Keeper and the Rune Stone (The Black Ledge Series, #1)
  • Mind Games (Cassie Scot #3)
  • The Time Hunters and the Box of Eternity (Time Hunters, #2)
  • Shadow Allegiance (Unholy Alliance, #3)
  • Fizz & Peppers at the Bottom of the World
L. R. W. Lee has a passion for fantasy and epic fantasy and in that genre, she credits C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe with its beginning in her life. Later on, she enjoyed the complex world of Middle Earth brought to life by J. R. R. Tolkien in Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

The multiple dimensions of the worlds, especially the dragons, mixed with a laye

Andy Smithson (7 books)
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • Disgrace of the Unicorn's Honor (Andy Smithson, #3)
  • Resurrection of the Phoenix's Grace (Andy Smithson, #4)
  • Vision of the Griffin's Heart (Andy Smithson #5)
  • Wisdom of the Centaurs' Reason (Andy Smithson #6)
  • Battle for the Land's Soul (Andy Smithson #7)
“When you let go of expectations and just dive in, possibilities you couldn't have dreamed of emerge. - L. R. W. Lee” 2 likes
“Indifference kills. It takes much less thought to be indifferent than to hate.” 2 likes