Start by marking “Mistress of the Wind” as Want to Read:
Mistress of the Wind

Mistress of the Wind

Bjorn needs to find a very special woman . . .

The fate of his people, and his own life, depends on it. But when he does find her, she is nothing like he imagined, and may just harbor more secrets than he does himself.

Astrid has never taken well to commands. No matter who issues them . . .

She's clashed her whole life with her father, and now her lover, the mysteriou
Published December 19th 2013 by Michelle Diener

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of the Wind

Start your review of Mistress of the Wind
Michelle Diener
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I've always loved fairy tales. But when I was at university, doing research for a history paper on the witch hunts of the 17th Century, I came across a really interesting (but totally unrelated :)) journal full of articles on the meanings of fairy tales. It was fantastic, and mind-blowing.

I suddenly saw the subversion in the tales. Even with the whitewashing that went on in the Victorian era to make fairy tales moral tales and warnings, especially to girls, to be good, and obedient and incuriou
Erin
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being largely underrated, East of the Sun, West of the Moon remains one of my favorite fairy tales which is why I was so pleased to see it tackled by author Michelle Diener. Having made a name for herself writing historic fiction, I wasn't sure she could pull off jumping genres, but having enjoyed The Emperor's Conspiracy I felt I had little to lose in picking up Mistress of the Wind.

Now, I'll be straight with you, adaptations are hard to review. The content by nature is not original, b
Paige  Bookdragon
I think Diener should just stick with the Historical Romance/ Espionage genre. I'm really not a fan of her fantasy works.
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Mistress of the Wind by Michelle Diener is an adult retelling of the fairy tale, East of the Sun, West of the Moon. I have not read this fairy tale so I can make no comparisons.

Astrid has always been different. She talks to the wind, it tells her things. But she has never understood why. She and her family are very poor. They barely survive on their run down farm. Her father is a very angry man and treats her, her siblings and her mother horribly, never hesitating to use his fists when he is ang
Douglas Meeks
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
It seems that I have a soft spot for stories that use old fairy tales as a basic structure. This one is no exception and having an evil stepmother as the villain just seemed right for this story but she was much more than just an evil stepmother.

This is loosely based on an old Norse type fairly tale that I have never read so it seems that it is just as great a story with or without any prior knowledge.

The story of Bjorn and Astrid is engaging and heartfelt, it is a theme used by storytellers all
Tammie
Bjorn needs to find a very special woman . . .

Astrid has never taken well to commands. No matter who issues them . . .

She's clashed her whole life with her father, and now her lover, the mysterious man who comes to her bedroom in darkness and disappears to guard his mountain by day as a bear, is finding it out the hard way. An
Dianne

Win a $50 Gift Card or eBooks!

How can one EVER be too old for the magic of fairy tales? Don’t they tell of human nature, the quest for revenge, the dark side of life and magic and the illumination of love and determination? Mistress of the Wind by Michelle Diener is an “enchanting” remake of an old Norse fairy tale, creating a romantic tale filled with everything magical about finding love and fighting for it. When a magical prince is cursed by his evil stepmother to live as a be
Blodeuedd Finland
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale-remake
I have always liked this fairy tale, maybe my earliest memory of it was the Psyche one, or the Swedish version (something prince hat under the mountain). They are each different but East of the Wind became my favorite of them. I guess I connected to the fairytale better than any other.

And Diener sure made it her fairytale too, I do love remakes and this one stays very true and still not. It's the story about an enchanting prince named Bjorn, poor thing can't do much. Astrid, the poor woodcutter'
Emma Hamm
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Do you hear that high pitched screaming sound?

That's me. Cause this book was so good I just hovered in the perpetual shrieking zone for a majority of it.

East of the Sun and West of the Moon has always been a personal favorite fairytale of mine, since I was a little girl. It's a take on Eros and Pysche, but it's polar bears, witches, and magic. I mean come on! It's almost as good as the Snow Queen and there's nothing more wondrous than a desolated snowy wasteland with Hags and stolen lovers.

Mi
Angel
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, retelling
(This review can also be found on my book review blog -Spare Reads-)

A copy of the book was kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

If you are a frequent reader of this blog, you know I'm a huge fan of fairy tale retellings. I love the fresh voice and delightfulness that come with each new add-ons and spin-offs. So when I finally got my hands on Mistress of the Wind, I was nothing less than thrilled. Unfortunately, after a fairly promising start, Mistress of the Wind
Melanie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars: We first meet Bjorn and start to learn about his deal with Norga, his stepmother who's a troll and turned him into a bear. Then we meet Astrid who is outside working and can feel someone watching her so she runs into her house. Bjorn believes he's found the woman he needs to help him defeat Norga--Astrid. He approaches her father who wants to make sure he'll receive something for turning Astrid over to a bear. Astrid willingly leaves with Bjorn and some of her family is happy with the ...more
Kara
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing

There’s some healthy competition, but this might be the best version of East of The Sun, West of Moon that I have come across. Definitely putting it in the top three.

This version is heavily steeped in Nordic mythology and we see just what happens when gods and monsters play politics.

Mountains quake.

The heroine, Astrid, is always portrayed here as growing in character as she journeys to save her Bear Prince from the Troll Queen, but here, Astrid doesn’t just grow – she blossoms into a whole new
Kara-karina
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
I love books based on fairy tales, and Mistress of The Wind was not an exception. It's sweet, lovely and airy. There are no surprises and you don't have to guess how it ends. You just know.

I would have loved a different, deeper and more detailed story, but Michelle Diener preferred to stay true to the fairy tale format which left me pleased but hungry for more.

Bjorn is mostly a desire object of the book, and it's Astrid who we follow through her experiences and ordeals to get him back. She
Fantasy Literature
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
“East of the Sun, West of the Moon” is a Scandinavian fairy tale that’s a bit like “Beauty and the Beast,” and even more like “Cupid and Psyche.” It’s full of striking imagery but has always inspired a bit of ambivalence in me — I love that the girl goes on an epic journey to rescue the guy, but I’m always a smidgen irked that she wins him by doing laundry better than her rival! In recent years, a number of authors have turned their hands to retelling the story in novel form, expanding the plot ...more
Darkphoenix
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been really looking forward to reading Mistress of the Wind ever since it first released. I finally got it day before yesterday and read it in one go. I kept my expectations from this book firmly grounded in reasonable territory since I had already read The Golden Apple before this and I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

In this book, we meet Bjorn, who was once a prince but is now in the form of a bear. His predicament is the result of an enchantment from a particularly powe
AlwaysV
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five-Super-Amazing-FairyTale-Retelling Stars! How the author put her own brilliantly and incomparable creative spin on very dark very edgy fairy tale just blew me away! It was such a fantastic gift for a non-fairy tale lover like me who had never read the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" before! In my honest opinion, I absolutely didn't need to read that old fairy tale. This version would be the only one for me.

Wishing with all my heart for a movie version of this out-of-this-
Kelly
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
I'm an enormous Michelle Diener fangirl. Her writing is warm and inviting, her stories the right mix of adventure and romance, her heroines are always delightful, and there's rich historical detail and ambiance in every book.

This one was familiar and cozy and new and imaginative, and was the kind of book I love for cranky days: it got me out of my head and wholly absorbed me.

Mistress of the Wind, inspired by the fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the Moon, is ambigu-historical, set in a land
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
3.5 stars! I was a beta-reader :)

This story is a grown-up retelling from ‘East of the moon, west of the sun.’ Michelle contacted me to ask if I wanted to be a bèta-reader. I'm still honored she asked me and she even mentioned my name in the acknowledgement! The basic of this story:

Summary.
Astrid is bought by an ice-bear to live in his castle for a year. Her father is greedy and her family is in need of money – and the enchanted ice-bear can provide for th
Marissa
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of fairy tale retellings, fantasy readers, romance lovers
I love fairy tale retellings, so I was already predisposed to enjoy this book. I'm not very familiar with this particular tale (other than some similarities to Cupid and Psyche and maybe a sort of beauty-and-the-beast theme) which made it feel new and fresh to me.

(view spoiler)
Tara Chevrestt
I rarely read fantasy. The problem for me is, I must find it believable, must be able to picture things as I go, and normally, trolls, elves, dragons, talking animals...are not things I can believe. Rather than suck me into a story, it usually makes me laugh.

Ms. Diener did not make me laugh. With her writing I was able to picture all four different winds, their faint cloudy outlines, the sand they raised, feel the cold they brought.

She saw West half disappear in shock, then he drew himself up t
Mistress of the Wind is the second book I've read by Michelle Diener and it was another amazing read for me. Now, I haven't read the original tale so I have no idea how close the stories are but this is a beautiful book in its own right either way.
The book follows Bjorn, the demi-god son of a Vanir (a race of Norse gods) who has been transformed into a bear by his troll of a stepmother Norga, in a bargain they've struck. If he is unable to find the girl he met many years ago and wishes to have f
Artemiz
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, netgalley
I have to admit, I have not read the original fairy-tale - East of the Sun, West of the Moon, so I have nothing to compare this one to.I did read the plot of the original story in Wikipedia after I had finished the book.

When I started reading Michelle Diener's version of this fairy-tale, I was reminded couple of other stories and myths, like Beauty and the beast, Cupid and Psyche, and couple of other fairy-tales I remember from my childhood but can't remember their names. So the story was famili
Carole Rae
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've heard so many good things about this and then it became an Amazon freebie.

What an amazing and fun adventure this was. It was so magical and whimsical...I could hardly put this down. I finished this story after a couple of sittings. I for sure want more.

The story follows Astrid and Bjorn. Astrid is a peasant girl who has a strange connection with the wind. Bjorn is a lord who is cursed by a troll and must find his true love in order to save himself and his people.

The best part of this boo
sherri jones-teachout
Fantastic fantasy story

Imagine briefly meeting a little boy when you were a kid and then forgetting about it. But you made such an impression on him that he has loved you forever and thinks you are the only one for him. Years later as as adults he comes for you. But he has been cursed and is now a polar bear, and needs you to be his princess and break the curse. This is Astrid's life. Her father sells her to the bear for 2 bags of gold. Now to save Bjorn, the prince (and bear), from evil trolls
Michele
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an adult retelling of a fairy tale--and what a magnificent job this author did! It is fantasy and even if you do not normally read this genre (which I normally don't) I can guarantee it will keep you engrossed as Astrid goes from being a "regular girl" to being what she was meant to be since the age of 3--the Mistress of the Wind.

Astrid goes through some harrowing adventures while trying to save her soul mate and learns along the way just how to command all the winds and become their Mis
Ann Brookens
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Michelle Diener is a mistress of the written word; I loved this version of the fairy tale! Astrid is a strong-willed but very pleasant young woman who has some unusual abilities. I especially enjoyed watching her gain control of those abilities. I don't feel like I knew Bjorn as well, but he is a good match for Astrid. I have loved all of Diener's books that I have read and highly recommend this one!
Kimberly Gordon-Bercich
Such a fun read. The journey Bjorn and Astrid had to take to discover themselves was thrilling. I would have preferred an epilogue that gave a glimpse into their lives after the great battle and finding themselves.
Cherylee Phillips
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ingenious

Transformational alt fairytale kept me reading until the end. I wonder how the story continues. Fell in love with the characters. Jordan needs his own tale shared in my opinion.
Kate Sterling
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

This was a wonderful story,beautifully written. It grabbed me from the start and I read it straight through. I would give it more stars if I could.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Healing of the Wolf (The Wild Hunt Legacy, #5)
  • The Winter Companion (Parish Orphans of Devon, #4)
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • The Promise of Hades (The Hades Trials, #3)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Autumn Secrets (Seasons Pass, Book 4)
  • Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)
  • Blood Red (Elemental Masters, #9)
  • A Spy in the House (The Agency, #1)
  • Hijinks and Demons (Queen Lucy, #3)
  • The Work of Art
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
  • Dragon Unleashed (Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Power (Dark Scions #3)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
Michelle Diener is a bestselling, award-winning author of historical fiction, science fiction and fantasy. Having worked in publishing and IT, she's now very happy crafting new worlds and interesting characters and wondering which part of the world she can travel to next.

Michelle was born in London, grew up in South Africa and currently lives in Australia with her husband and two children.

When she