Start by marking “Everything I Know” as Want to Read:
Everything I Know

Everything I Know

The last thing the world needs is another "get-rich-like-me," self-proclaimed expert on what it takes to work for yourself. Anti-guru Paul Jarvis has written Everything I Know as a no-rules guide through uncharted territory with stories based on his two decades of freelancing. It’s a swift kick in the creative ass without fairies, unicorns or new-age clichés.

Instead of of
Published November 17th 2013 by Paul Jarvis

To ask other readers questions about Everything I Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything I Know

Sharon
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Makes sense

Makes sense

I appreciated the straight talk and real examples provided. I was looking for a swift kick to get me off the "perfectionist" path and on to creating something that represents ME and this book fulfilled that need. I also live in fear of being judged by others but this book made me realize I'm being judged whether I take action or not...so why not do what I really want to do. I've worked in the corporate world for 35 years, it's time to start being ME!
Bruno Brito
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Paul's blog posts so picking up this one was a no-brainer.

Paul has a unique ability to get you pumped and inspired to get things done. His sound advice comes in clear, concise thoughts and extremely short sentences. This is "everything he knows" but the book is very easy to read and it's definitely something I'll read again later this year.

After reading it, I feel like I don't have any excuse not to pursue whatever I may want to pursue in life. This may be seen as a book targete
Katrina Knittle
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received!

I think this may be one of my favorite books out of what I have recently read. This book goes right to the point, it motivates, and at times opened my eyes on different things. This was an easy read,also, a good page turner. The author has a way with words that would get me to read more of his books or future books.
أروى عبدالرحمن
كتاب بنصائح عملية وهو كتاب خفيف بشكل لا يصدق، وممتاز أيضا.
أعجبني في إسلوب بول هو البساطة.. وتنويهه دائما على انك شخص مختلف وقد لا ينفع لك اي شيء مما ذكر في هذا الكتاب.
أعتقد أن كثيرا من المقاطع سأعيد قراءاتها عدة مرات لأن قراءة مثل هذه النصوص تتغير بتغير تجاربك بمرور الوقت
Rickie Hinrichs
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything you need to know, but you just didn't know you needed to know it.
Emmanuel Ayeni
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul walks you through a straight up class on Guts, taking action and doing your own thing while getting prepared and ready for what comes next.
Kara
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me want to be all gushy, and draw little smiley faces all over it. It’s that good. Even the Foreword is good-- I don’t know who Justine Musk is, but after her interesting and insightful comments, I am going to find out.
“Everything I Know” is the kind of book that any creative type should read (or reread) at the beginning of a new endeavor—not to get any kind of step by step instruction or an “action plan” but to get inspired, or to be reminded of why being self-employed is so rew
Kathleen
3.5/5

Op zich best een interessant boek en een motiverend boek, maar waarschijnlijk interessanter voor mensen die net met ondernemen willen beginnen (of aan het begin staan van een project). Maar het was fijn om te lezen dat hij keihard staat achter jezelf zijn, werk verrichten en hoe hij omgaat met alle onzekerheden die bij een creatief beroep (en leven op zich) komen kijken.

Sabrine Tizaoui
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every ingle paragraph of it. It's really something you can relate to as a human being who is not afraid to be themselves. It's not another "show you the way to success" book, when success happens to be all about the income. It's rather about how the work you do should align with your true self and true values. It's about not following the others' biased definition of fulfillment. it's about loving what you do...like really!
Down to earth, connected to the soul, free and real ! That's how
Shuan
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short, enjoyable read. Motivational and inspirational too. Paul shares his life view, especially the professional career part of it.

Messages include:
1. Be yourself and be authentic.
2. Find the intersection between your passion and what people are willing to pay for.
3. Follow your values and treat everything as an experiment to pursue your values. Hence, don't be afraid to fail; they are just experiments.
4. Work super hard and be extremely focused.

I like this book a lot, and I highly recommend
Mars Dorian
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different take on what it means to be a successful creative.
I enjoy this little book a lot - Paul carries that WTF attitude of a confident creative.

You'll learn a lot of stuff about what it means to create 'your' authentic work, how to deal with clients and keep
developing your style.

Lots of his advice may seem counterintuitive, but being an artist is all about keeping an open mind.
I read it twice already and will surely go for a third run.

If you're a creative, you should devour this book like
Mike Vardy
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper-library
Not everything in *Everything I Know* will work for you, but a lot of it will. Some of it may seem fresh and some of it may serve as a reminder; I experienced both as I read it. Paul Jarvis is a great writer and is someone who works very hard on getting better at his craft. If you're looking to get better at your craft and find yourself in a state of "stuckness" or in a recurring state of not knowing what to do now (and not next), then get yourself a copy of *Everything I Know*. Paul Jarvis may ...more
Leenda dela Luna
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable and fast read. Unlike Brene Brown's books, Paul did not assume his readers suffer from low self esteem.

I found it to be a professional and business-y, practical, version of the lyrics to Firework (Katy Perry). I like that song.

Unfortunately, my problem is not "going for it". My current problem is that I can't figure out what I want to go for.
Ignas
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration, favorite
One of the best book I have read, really :) Right to the spot, opens the eyes, motivates. Liked that Paul just says that it is nothing bad to be yourself and do everything your own way. Usually books which tries to show you the way to success tells the one and only one way to it (and I don't believe it works for the readers). Liked the book, was easy and motivational read.
Tharique
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book, I really loved reading it. But, I found it a little bit of repetitive in some chapters. Anyhow, it has valuable thoughts on how you can be your own boss. Thank you Paul for this awesome book.
Ikhlas
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

كتاب جيد
يقدم فيه الكاتب مايعرفه عن الحياه و العمل وكيف تواجهه الخوف وانت ماتختاره في الحياه وأشياء اخرى من وجهة نظره الشخصية
كتاب خفيف اذا كنت من النوع الذي يحب معرفة ومشاركة اراء الاخرين في جوانب مختلفه (مكتوب بطريقة كأنه يدردش معك !) و ليس بالضرورى تكون مع او ضد الفكره.
bryan s arnold
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Outpouring of Doing and Being Better

Paul breaks down everything do you can do everything you know better. it's really am incredible blueprint to those who want to pursue their dreams. And it's also said very easy to read book with no fluff...just pure quality content.
Stephanie
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on leading a creative, productive life. I already knew most of this stuff, having learned it the hard way the last 20 years, but it was good to be reminded. Wish I had read this in my 20s and 30s. Highly recommended for young creatives.
Peter
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down on vacation - it made me want to start something new as soon as I got home!
Aras Atasaygın
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Liked genuine narration of this book. No secret formulas or datas, just what it takes to be a maker.
Vicky Connelly
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read for people starting almost anything. I was challenged to consider reasons for my roadblocks to many unfinished projects.
Simon Vandereecken
Great insights about lots of things, making you realize a lot of things that are blocking you in life and how to overcome them.
Pablo Herrera
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book, although I found it a bit repetitive.
Kris Freedain
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed Paul's latest book. He's straight forward, doesn't mix words, and quite honestly, inspires me to work on my own personal projects.
Sara Foster
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Cait Flanders
Shelves: 2018
I was reading Cait Flanders' blog and she recommended a new book by Paul Jarvis called Company of One. Since that book isn't available in the library yet, I grabbed this one in the meantime. The contents proved to be very timely for me since I'm in the process of starting my own business and Jarvis' book contains elements of inspiration and motivation and practical tips. It is a short and simple book, but its thin stature in no way reflects its contents. I used 24 sticky tabs to mark pages that ...more
Andra
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Paul's no-BS, to the point book about what it takes to do the work!

His no-nonsense style and his honesty make it easy to relate to his struggles and his tactics of pushing through fear, imposter syndrome and the excuses we make for ourselves to not do the work at hand.

Each small chapter made me want to get down to business and focus on what I want to build, which is exactly what I did in several points of the book.

Paul champions a very practical, down to earth way of approaching life a
Felipe CZ
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about what the author knew at the time about online business. Good advice about doing your own unique work and reflecting your values. By breaking free from corporate thinking and doing your own thing, you can have more success, despite having fear of failure and criticism, which can actually be helpful to create more and improving yourself.
Michael Mary Andrews
Blinkist summary review:
It's great when a writer on the whole isn't really saying anything you don't already know deep down but he still manages to deliver the subject in a way that makes you feel you're learning a lot. One of the more helpful things I got from the summary is to remember to focus on your values in every thing that you create and every decision you make..
Rania Tk
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Mohammad Jawich
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“the best stories don’t play off, and market to, our sense of inadequacy, but inspire us into a bigger, truer version of ourselves – a greater sense of the possible.”

• Taking Flight!: Master the DISC Styles to Transform Your Career, Your Relationships... Your Life
  • Three Simple Steps: A Map to Success in Business and Life
  • Leadership is Hell: How to Manage Well - And Escape with your Soul
  • The Suitcase Entrepreneur
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Later Bloomers: 35 Folks Over Age 35 Who Found Their Passion and Purpose
  • Secrets of Quick Decluttering, Selling and Organizing the Home Area: Essential Step by Step Methods to Clutter-Free Lifestyle at Home & Earn Money through Selling Cluttered Items On eBay & Amazon
  • Business in Blue Jeans: How to Have a Successful Business on Your Own Terms, in Your Own Style
  • Kidowed
  • Turn Your Dreams And Wants Into Achievable SMART Goals!
Paul Jarvis is a veteran of the online tech world, and over the years has had such corporate clients as Microsoft, Yahoo, Mercedes-Benz, Warner Music and even Shaquille O'Neal.

Today, he teaches online courses, runs several software businesses and hosts a handful of podcasts from his home on an island on the West Coast of Canada.
“What if instead of reading, you wrote? Instead of watching TV, you made videos? Instead of listening to music, you learned how to play guitar?” 4 likes
“A large part of choosing your path is figuring out which values will determine your worth. Once that’s clear, it’s much easier to decide if the work you’re doing will increase or decrease your feelings of worth.” 3 likes