Start by marking “The Sayings Of Confucius” as Want to Read:
The Sayings Of Confucius

The Sayings Of Confucius

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published May 11th 2012 (first published -429)

To ask other readers questions about The Sayings Of Confucius, please sign up.
Sieglinde I got the impression that it means you start a large job in small steps. This could even include learning a new thing.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
“Is it not indeed a pleasure to acquire knowledge and constantly to exercise oneself therein?”

It really is. It’s a noble pursuit, forever trying to learn and improve and become the best you possible. And in a way, that’s the main drive behind these teachings: self-improvement.

I’ve met so many people in my life that never reached their potential or realised it. So many people don’t dare to try. Growing up, I had some real intelligent friends who could have gone on to do wonderful things, but t
Darwin8u
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
子曰:「唯上知與下愚不移。」
The Master said, 'It is only the most intelligent and the most stupid who are not susceptible to change."
- Confucius, The Analects, XVII.3

description

I rarely re-read books. An exception to this rule are ethical or religious texts. I love Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and will read this in dribs and drabs throughout the year. The same is true of the New Testament, the Wisdom Books, Psalms, parts of the Book of Mormon, and the Analects. I am drawn to some of the more universal teachings in th
Lawrence
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a class taught by General George S. Patton, IV at the George Washington University in the early 80's, reflecting on his experience in Vietnam, he summarized the failure of US policy in SE Asia as a failure to understand the history and culture of the region.

Years later as I prepared to deploy to Afghanistan it struck me that much of our formal education in my lifetime focused on European and Western philosophers and histories, only perpetuating the vicious cycle which the son of the famous Wo
Foad
تا حالا زياد جملات زيبا و بى نظيرى از كنفوسيوس شنيديم. با كمال تأثر و تأسف، بايد اعلام كنم كه همه شون جعلى هستن، يكى از موارد تب جملات جعلى به بزرگان نسبت دادن.
جملات خود كنفوسيوس، بسيار خسته كننده و عارى از هر گونه زيبايى و نكته ى اخلاقى خاص هستن. به زحمت مى تونيد دو سه جمله پيدا كنيد كه ارزش نقل قول شدن رو داشته باشه. اون هم با دست كارى در جمله!
Letitia
It’s depressing to think that the teachings of Confucius constituted a religion in most of East Asia – i.e. they were wise sayings and stories of a great man from a certain time, that have been selectively reinterpreted by kings and heads of state, force-fed to generations of schoolchildren in various eras as a substitute for original thought, and generally manipulated out of context to subjugate a nation into obedience over and over again.

That’s probably why many Chinese intellectuals and progr
Stevie
Confucius has a lot of wisdom. Anyone who is serious about living life well would do well to read the Analects.

Poignant Quotes:

If you try to guide the common people with coercive regulations and keep them in line with punishments, the common people will become evasive and will have no sense of shame. If, however, you guide them with Virtue, and keep them in line by means of ritual, the people will have a sense of shame and will rectify themselves.

Give your parents no cause for anxiety other than
Roy Lotz
There are two things that are commonly labeled ‘philosophy’. The first is philosophy sensu strictu, which deals with technical problems in its various branches, such as epistemology, metaphysics, ethics, etc. The other is what one could call a “philosophy of life”, a vague category that one encounters in religious texts, works of literature, poetry, and also intermingled with formal philosophy. Confucianism, insofar as I understand it, mostly falls into the latter category.

The Analects mainly ta
David Sarkies
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Political Theorists, Philosophers
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: philosophy
The political sayings of a Chinese master
22 June 2011

While I have credited the writing of this work to Confucius, it was not actually written by him but rather by his disciples. Thus Confucius joins Socrates and Jesus Christ of having an enormous influence upon the world without actually writing anything down (though this is not correct, as I further outline below). Further, like Jesus Christ and Socrates, the books are a record of his sayings (though, unlike Jesus Christ, he did not perform an
Justin Evans
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
You can't review the Analects. But you can review editions of the Analects, and this one, translated and commented upon by Annping Chin, is one of the great editions of any philosophy book I've ever come across. The translation clear without being condescending, and Chin includes the Chinese text at the back of the book. Her comments are fascinating; best of all, she includes references to and quotes from the many traditional commentaries on the book, so you know not only what e.g. one random Am ...more
J. Watson (aka umberto)
From my 5-day study tour in South Korea (August 5-9), I read a bit about Korean history in English, according to Prof. Han Young Woo (2010: 7), Confucius said, "Learning is a joy of life." This is an interestingly philosophical, psychological and educational quote as well as a groundbreaking one. Just imagine, Confucius said this some 2,500 years ago! Of course, we still need to read him to learn more even in this 21st century and beyond.

I've just posted this quote in my Facebook so that my stud
Jimmy
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
One of the great classics of world literature. Worth reading for the parts that still apply. Confucius describes himself as a transmitter, not an originator. The book may not contain any original sayings. Its main philosophical idea is to avoid extremes. That's also an ancient Greek idea. One can do no better than to follow that precept.

In some places, the orifices of a corpse were plugged up to prevent the soul escaping and doing harm to the community. In China, mortuary jades were used in the
Michael Connolly
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, revisit
When Confucius was asked what he thought about the idea of being kind to someone who does you wrong, he pointed out that this would be unfair to people who treat you right, who deserve to be treated better than people who do you wrong. Confucius was therefore an advocate of justice, was Aristotle. Jesus, on the other hand, said turn the other cheek and love your enemies, which is not justice. I also liked the suggestion of Confucius that one should not serve in government when evil people domina ...more
Pontus Presents
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Text, translation & edition: ✦✦✦✦✦

Both A.C. Grayling (with the preface) and D.C. Lau (with the introduction and translation) do a good job of explaining, or at least hinting at the importance, of the key terms of Lǐ (禮 / 礼 - proper rites), Rén (仁 - benevolence), Dào (道 - the Way) and Dé (德 - right virtue).
Those words are used throughout the Analects, and knowing a fraction of their significants is very helpful to understand the whole.
Now, I had my prejudgments about Confucius beforehand, bu
Scriptor Ignotus
A good starting point for thinking about Confucius is that he was concerned with training rulers and subjects. This puts him in the company of the Sophists of Plato’s dialogues. Protagoras and Socrates begin their debate over the question of whether good citizenship can be taught, and consequently whether Sophists like Protagoras can be useful to that end.

For Confucius, there is no distinction between the ethical and the political, because the political virtue of social stability relies upon th
Morgan
I've been wanting to read this book for years. For some reason Confucius has sparked my interest. Earlier this year I got into philosophy again and remembered I'd wanted to read this book. Now having actually read this, I can say I find Confucius relaxing and enjoyable. Him and Machiavelli have become my favorite philosophers (odd combo I know).

The translation I read by Annping Chin was wonderful and highly recommend this edition. Not only do you get the text, but you get more than enough commen
Tudor Cretu
M-am oprit din citit pentru ca nu este ceea ce ma asteptam. Mi-a placut cu mai mult de Tao Te Ching de la Lao Tzu.
Lukas
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ganska konstig stundtals alltså, kan bero på kulturskillnader – eller så var Confucius bara rätt knäpp – eller så är det bara jag som inte begrep riktigt. lite knivigt dessutom att hänga med i alla kinesiska ord & namn upplästa på engelska (ljudbok), kan vara det också... hursomhelst, ändå en stark 3,5:a.
Vaishali
A jewel, though many maxims require prior knowledge of China's dynastic period. I took about 2 days to familiarize with the history; the excerpts below are the more universal sayings. What's interesting is that many aphorisms are Confucius joking with disciples :)

Excerpts:
---------
1.8 If you study you will not be crude.

3.12 Sacrifice to the spirits as though the spirits were present.

3.24 The world has long been without the dao.

4.22 The ancients were wary of speaking - ashamed if their conduct d
Robert Jacoby
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Excellent introduction to how language impacts individual thought, a culture, and a civilization

(Background: Over a couple of decades' time I planned to read the scriptures of the world's great religions/philosophies. I started with my own, reading the Bible in two different translations, first the Hebrew-Greek Word Study Bible by Spiros Zodhiates, and then the NIV. Next I turned to Islam and Al-Quaran. After that The Bhagavad Gita and the Analects of Confucius. Every reading is helping m
Mehmet
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hasan-ali-yücel
2.500 yıl önce yaşamış bir insanın, bugün bile hala geçerli olabilecek; bugünün ahlak anlayışını da karşılayan sözleri yer alan bu kitapta; Konfüçyus'un ne kadar büyük bir bilge olduğunu bir defa daha anladım.

"Üstad cevap verdi: 'Konuşmadan önce harekete geçer, ve sonra hareketlerine göre konuşur.'" (s. 26)

"Üstad dedi ki, 'Büyük ve üstün insan, özgür fikirlidir ve partizan eğildir. Ancak küçük bir insan partizandır ve özgür fikirli değildir." (s. 26)

Her kütüphanede bulunması gereken, başta genç
Alex
Nov 11, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Confucius yo. Again, more research on the translation is needed.
Sách Chuyền Tay
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewwwws
At the time that ancient Greek philosophy was blossoming in 400 BC, on the other side of the world a different set of philosophical traditions seeded in China. Like Greece, this terrain had complex social structures, sophisticated cultures, and, most importantly, systems of writing that enabled people to record their thoughts. But unlike Greek philosophy which was largely secular, Eastern philosophies were intimately tied to their local religious traditions such as Confucianism or Daoism. For di ...more
Ahmed Rashwan
So I have finally delved into the philosophy of Confucianism, but unfortunately it left me a little winded and even slightly exhausted. Although this book was merely 80 pages long, I cannot say this was an easy read at all, it reminded me of when I was reading up on Buddhism.

Although I am generally very fascinated with Far Eastern religions, philosophies and social systems, it seems that I do not go along with them very well. This does sadden me to a degree and I am afraid I might feel the same
Ericka Clouther
This is a great translation. I only compared it to one other but it far exceeded the other translation. The language in the Analects is clear and then followed by short paragraphs to explain the missing context or the connotation of particular Chinese words. I enjoyed the number of passages focused on education and respect, though the ones about the historical politicians held less interest for me.

(I don't rate religious or semi-religious texts.)
Köksal Kök
Konfüçyüs, Confucius (M.Ö. 551-M.Ö. 479)

Lun-yü (Konfüçyüs'ün Konuşmaları)

kitap, Konfüçyüs’ün düşüncelerini ve konuşmalarını içeriyor. biyografisi, öğretileri, devlet yönetme, siyaset bilimi, ahlak ve erdem üzerine bilgece sözlerini aktarıyor. kötü örnek vereceği zaman kuzey komşuları türkleri-hunları örnek verip "Kuzey'in ve Doğu'nun yabanıl boyları" der.

"Lun-yü (Konfüçyüs'ün Konuşmaları), Konfüçyüs'ün öğrencileriyle yaptığı konuşmaları toplayan, Konfüçyüsçülerin kullandığı en önemli el kitabı v
Sean Leas
The particular version that I read did not have an analysis along with the text. While enjoyable it wasn't quite the same when I read it long ago. I'm making it a point to re-read again soon.
Matty-Swytla
I read the William Jennings translation, so I just might need to read a better one to fully grasp what this influential book is all about. Definitely something to do in the future because I get this funny feeling half of the references flew right over my head, and I don't exactly consider myself a complete novice regarding Confucianism (or at least its basic ideas).
Otto Lehto
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl H.
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin talking about Confucius? It is fascinating to read a philosophy that is so different than that of the Greeks. It is different, not only in form, but in its very essence than the early Western philosophy and culture that permeates American and European thought. When we talk about the “central value” of any philosophical system, we are necessarily engaging in a gross simplification. Plato valued truth, Socrates valued happiness, Jesus valued love, and Confucius values fidelity. But ...more
Cuong Khong
  • The Nature of the Gods
  • The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha
  • The Carnal Prayer Mat
  • Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
Confucius was a Chinese thinker and social philosopher, whose teachings and philosophy have deeply influenced Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese thought and life. Born 551 BC - Died 479 BC (aged 71–72).

孔子 - Kong Zi
孔夫子 - Kong Fuzi (Kung Fu-Tzu)
“The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” 2018 likes