Start by marking “Shivery Shades of Halloween” as Want to Read:
Shivery Shades of Halloween

Shivery Shades of Halloween

A rollicking, rhyming Halloween romp—in every color!

What color is Halloween? Why, it’s as green as an “eerie glow, evil grin, vile brew, clammy skin,” as white as “cobwebs clinging, a misty trail, a skull, a spook, a face gone pale . . .” Children will learn their colors as they follow a cute little creature on his adventure through haunted halls, moonlit forests . . .
Published August 5th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shivery Shades of Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shivery Shades of Halloween

Start your review of Shivery Shades of Halloween
Calista
This beginning book uses rhyme and monsters to explore the colors of Halloween. The monsters are cute and cuddly and the rhymes are good. I don’t have much else to say.

My nephew does love monsters, but this is too young for him. He can’t read it yet. He didn’t think the monsters were scary enough and it was a rather silly book. He gave this only 3 stars. He said he can’t give monsters only a few stars for being too simple.
Evie
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Shivery Shades of Halloween is just the perfect treat for your kid this Halloween season! It's bursting with colors, the silly rhymes and tongue-twisting word pairings make it super fun to read aloud (and occasionally laugh together when mommy's tongue gets twisted in a knot when trying to keep up with the rhythm), and it's just such a great way to learn about the many colors of Halloween!

When thinking about Halloween, certain colors come to mind right away, black, orange and purple being the f
Sebastian HM
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's a lot of colors! Orange! Red! Gray! Black! Pink! Purple! Green! Yellow! White! Blue! Brown!
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Probably will not read this at storytime, but I did like this one for all the colors. 3-5 year old audiences. Rhymes.
Mama Bibliosoph
With repetitive, rhyming verse and a color primer format, Shivery Shades of Halloween is a perfect choice for kids who are learning their colors or are reinforced by labeling them. Color primer formats are a wonderful structure that many autistic kids enjoy because they are predictable.

This is a fabulous book for taking turns saying, "I see a...", to practice pointing and tacting.

My more verbal child, Harry, picked up on the fact that there was an unusual noun mentioned before the end of each ve
Paula
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Forget orange and black. Answering the opening question of this title, Halloween is many colors. The ten colored stripes on the endpapers hint at the colors mentioned in the text. Each spread has a concise rhyming quatrain about Halloween characters such as monsters, bats, ghosts, etc.: (“Halloween is black. Cat and cauldron,/ Cloak and hat,/ Mouth of cave,/ Vampire bat,”). The spread ends with a silly rhyming phrase that further characterizes the color: (“Inky-slinky, hairy-scary,/ creepy-seepy ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just in time for Halloween I found this fun new book. It starts off by asking what the different colors of Halloween are. When I first read this to one of my nephews, he started naming specific colors: orange, black, purple. But then when we got into the story he, along with the rest of the readers, realize that there are so many more colors that are associated with Halloween. There is the white of a ghost or the blue of a wizard. Pretty much any color can be associated with a cartoon (and non-f ...more
Erika Bowen
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
An adorable little creature goes on an adventure through haunted halls, moonlit forests, and possibly a Halloween party. Children learn colors in a very fun and adventurous way.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile
PreK-K
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
Halloween, colors
4. Individual students who might benefit from reading
Students who need help with their colors. Students who love Halloween.
5. Small group use (literature circles)
In groups, students will
Christine Turner
A rollicking, rhyming Halloween romp in every color!

What color is Halloween? Why, it's as green as an "eerie glow, evil grin, vile brew, clammy skin," as white as "cobwebs clinging, a misty trail, a skull, a spook, a face gone pale . . ." Children will learn their colors as they follow a cute little creature on his adventure through haunted halls, moonlit forests . . . perhaps even a Halloween party! Jimmy Pickering's stylized settings and adorable monsters add a blast of colorful creepy-crawli
Karin
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What fun! This book is a great read-aloud. Each two-page spread focuses on a color. The first half of the rhyme deals mostly with nouns associated with Halloween of the particular color while the second half of the rhyme gives a wonderful list of adjectives that describe the color. For example, my favorite is the very first one:
Evil glow

Shivery Shades of Halloween is perfect for classrooms and libraries
Diana
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, storytime
Not being a big Halloween fan, I'm always on the lookout for a Halloween book I can, with confidence, use for my littlest ones. This one seemed like it would work and, in all fairness, the color element was pretty great. But I found the gushy blood comment to be a little much, and, while lyrical, the text wasn't really great for use with little ones in a storytime setting. Not a bad book, by any means, but I still didn't care for it and do not plan to use it for programming. Bummer.
Amy Holland
Relates different colors to Halloween objects and activities. The illustrations are cute (not too scary), and the verse has some nice description and a pleasing, lilting cadence ("Halloween is brown: Forest looming, branches clawing, owl swooping, werewolf pawing"). This would be a great preschool Halloween book.
Jennybug
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty darn cute book especially if you are learning your colors. The pictures are very
fun and whimsical. The book includes lots of fun rhyming gibberish all done with a a Halloween flare.
Sara Grochowski
This fantastic read aloud explores all the colors little readers will encounter in their Halloween adventures through bright, colorful illustrations and memorable rhyme. SHIVERY SHADES OF HALLOWEEN is a worthwhile addition to your library and great holiday fun!
Beckie
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A new Halloween favorite of mine! Bright, vivid illustrations, lots of fun rhymes AND it teaches the colors. Both kids were drawn in quickly and it held their attention all throughout. The illustrations fit the rhymes very well and there were lots to look at of each color.
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute Rhymes

Cute rhymes for various Halloween items/creature and their colors. This book is a fun way to learn colors and get kids to think outside the orange and black Halloween box. It also lends itself easily to kids yoga and crafts.
Kimberly
Cute pictures and a fun rhyme to talk about the different colors of Halloween.
Lisa
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was just ok. It is a good book to teach about colors and the pictures are cute, however it seems like a book of just because, to get a book done.
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Halloween storytime, here this book comes!
Ckolleen
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Halloween books that I have read in a long time. I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
A great concept that did not follow through with its potential. Perhaps it is the cartoonish digital illustrations?
Rachel
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: colors, halloween
This will be awesome for Halloween story times. Love the phrasing and descriptions of the colors. The illustrations are also more cute then scary but still shows monsters and "creepy" things.
Bethe
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
fun book with rhyming words, short poems, even a sequencing type opportunity at the end.
Arin
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute rhyming and friendly drawings.
Lara
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good word-play color-building Halloween picture book. Nice bright colors, cute pictures (even the monsters), and lots of fun rhymes. It can be a touch tongue-twister-y, though, with all those rhyme pairs, so be sure to practice it before reading for an audience. Worth it though - I like to include it as a non-scary Halloween storytime read.
gina
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We got this book last year and we’ve read it dozens of times. At 4 last year it was just the right amount of spooky for my son and at five this year it still did not disappoint. We both enjoy it very much.
Alison
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A “swamp creature” looking thing drinks a potion that makes him small and change colors. Fun rhymes, interesting pictures.
*the little monster guy changes colors with each page and his wavy stripe is the color of the page before*
Kristin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this as a read-aloud Halloween book for my preschoolers.
The Book Box
Nov 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: own
Mama read this to my class the day before Halloween.
Esutterlin
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good addition to the Halloween displays, categories. A lot of the vocabulary may be a bit difficult for this age range, but the sounds of the words are delightful, and a new way of thinking about holiday colors beyond orange and black.

• Where's My Mummy?
  • Pete the Cat: Five Little Pumpkins
  • Skelly's Halloween
  • Hedgehugs Autumn Hide-and-Squeak
  • Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • The Bear Who Stared
  • Bonaparte Falls Apart
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • I Want a Dog