Start by marking “Nicely Said: Writing for the Web with Style and Purpose” as Want to Read:
Nicely Said: Writing for the Web with Style and Purpose

Nicely Said: Writing for the Web with Style and Purpose

Whether you’re new to web writing or you’re a professional writer looking to deepen your skills, this book is for you. You’ll learn how to write web copy that addresses your readers’ needs and supports your business goals.

Learn from real-world examples and interviews with people who put these ideas into action every day: Kristina Halvorson of Brain Traffic, Tiffani Jones B
Published June 14th 2014 by New Riders (first published June 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Nicely Said, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nicely Said

Marie
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, how-to
Especially great for anyone dropped into the role of marketing, web development, social media marketing, etc. Yes, a lot of it's common sense ... however, looking at some of the content coming out of many businesses and other organizations, a lot of people don't *have* common sense. It's just a good solid (and non-intimidating) introduction to the basics.
Cc April
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book for beginners new to writing on the internet. I found it very helpful and was able to apply many of the techniques to my writing. I especially liked the part about building trust and fostering relationships.
Jenn
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you've spent a lot of time writing for the web already, this book may not be for you - except perhaps the parts of the book that talk about writing for sensitive situations.

It's a well written book and I passed my copy on to the support team at my office.
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really solid book on web writing that encompasses a lot of the stuff I preach in my work. I'll definitely be recommending it to my clients and students.
Narmadhaa S
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Apart from the cover, which speaks for itself, the inside of the book is also simple. It's honest, straightforward, and offers useful guidelines for anyone writing anything at all online.

The book doesn't claim to give you the secret of writing well for the web—it's far from that. The writers, Nicole and Kate, start from the most obvious information: clarity. No matter what you're writing on the web—whether it's a blog, an editorial, a webpage, or a Facebook status—you always have to be clear in
Jordan
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks Goodreads for giving this as a First Read book!

I was pleasantly surprised with Nicely Said. Having previously read a few other books that dealt with business and internet writing, I was afraid it was going to be as dry as the others. It was not!

The format of this book, which itself would translate beautifully into an online format, is broken up into sections that are clear, concise, and far from overwhelming. Someone new to internet writing could follow this book through step by step as t
Catherine
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fenton and Kiefer Lee have followed their own advice to create a book that is clear, useful and friendly, and an easy-to-read resource that I would recommend to web writers at all stages of their career. Their guidelines and tactical tips for all kinds of web content are based in sound (and clearly explained) research and reasoning, and provide a model to follow when helping a colleague or reviewing someone's work.
Lou Storiale
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty good book on the quality of writing over quantity, which was one of the first books to publish this regarding web writing. Most of the books before this book were primarily about creating a lot of content.
Tracy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design-related
Builds from first principles with clarity and friendliness
Angel Shoilev
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tool, not a book

Anyone who writes for the web should read this book. It’s easy to read and super helpful. More of an elaborate guideline, than an actual book.
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I wish it had more information about writing in general. It was a little more about web-based writing than I had hoped.
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit to finding this book dry at points, but I end up saying that about most work-related non-fiction. I think had I been really starting a website from scratch and working along with the chapters, it would have landed exactly right for me. Given that, I can imagine myself using it as a reference when future projects arise. And, I'm inspired to go start a style guide for the blog I manage now!
Diane Austin
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty thorough guide to writing for the web. A big theme is being "kind" or considerate to the reader, considering how your words affect them at every stage of their journey.
Jelle
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
A lot of common sense stuff especially if you already have some experience with writing for websites and apps. Still learned a few new things though!
Katie Anne
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read but a good start for anyone hoping to do web copy
texast
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
This book contains good, but basic, information that would be helpful to someone who may not be a professional writer. For example, I could see a small business owner getting a lot out of this. Or even someone who works at a non-profit or startup. Basically, if you are having to jump into a marketing or writing role and need some guidance, this book is worth reading.
Deedi (DeediReads) Brown
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it
I can't wait to share this book with as many people as I can. I'm about to start my own professional leadership blog and I am interning in the communication department of a company right now, and this book was extremely relevant for both settings! I ended up creating to-do lists as I read because I had so many ideas for my own purposes. Do yourself a favor and read it!
Steve Carney
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was very easy to read, and I enjoyed reading it. My main problem with it, however, is how the majority of the content is common sense. They discuss a few very important concepts like content mapping, the revision process, and how to market through your writing, but I feel like any astute writers (or future writers) do not need to spend any time with this book.
Joe
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital
I like this book a lot. I plan to order it for my spring course on Digital Rhetoric. The key point the authors make is that good web writing needs to be clear, useful, and friendly. (Hence, nicely said). Writers need to connect with their readers as well as present their subjects. The result of this insight is good advice about writing, both online and more generally.
Paul Ivanov
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Outlines a very reasonable framework for writing. The material is presented clearly and succinctly, the authors practiced what they preach. Read this in one sitting at a bookstore and took a page of notes. Also spontaneously composed a draft of a new personal bio, and jotted down a few other ideas to pursue in my own writing.
Raluca
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
The conclusion, as always, is to listen, write, revise, repeat. The book is okay as long as you've not read many marketing books and you're not subscribed to many content newslettera. Nice resources section.
Daniel
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
When some would say 'do *something* but be sure it is ok to do that' the authors spent many words to explain what are the conditions to make it ok, why it is and when it is not.

There is a lot to learn, or just enjoy a good text.
Anna Raquel
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book for people who want to learn more about how to plan, write and maintain content for the web, beginners and pros alike. I work with the technical/structural side of Content Strategy and wanted to understand the editorial aspects better. Very clear and concise.
Coleman
Good primer on web content writing. It's a surface-level overview, relevant and updated with modern tools. Also includes some great references with deeper dives on content strategy, editing, voice, and tone.
Alaina
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
EXCELLENT book. If you do any writing at all for your job or want to become a better writer, read this book. It's wonderfully written & covers a lot of different kinds of writing in different contexts.
Pinkhalo
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Very useful with clear examples. Much better than expected!
Michele Schueler
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by a friend of mine. It was a great book. Easy read. Great ideas and points. Would highly recommend reading this book for anyone interested in website design.
Tim
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: copy-writing
Great book on writing for your audience.
April Han Galdo
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clear and concise. Stuffed with indispensable lessons and resources. A must-read for fledgling web writers and online business owners.
Tracy Canuck

• On Web Typography
  • Design for Real Life
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • See What I Mean: How to Use Comics to Communicate Ideas
  • Content Strategy at Work: Real-world Stories to Strengthen Every Interactive Project
  • Managing Enterprise Content: A Unified Content Strategy
  • Search Analytics for Your Site: Conversations with Your Customers
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture
  • How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
  • The Content Strategy Toolkit: Methods, Guidelines, and Templates for Getting Content Right
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
Nicole Fenton is an independent writer and editor in Brooklyn. She has worked at a large social network, a startup incubator, a design studio, and Apple. She manages content projects of all sizes and teaches writing as a design practice.
“Apologizing with grace” 0 likes
“Websites ask people personal questions, tell them what to do with their time, and point them in a specific direction” 0 likes