Start by marking “In Too Deep (Due South, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Too Deep (Due South, #1)

In Too Deep

(Stewart Island #1)

Love small town contemporary romance with an unforgettable cast of characters? Each book in the Due South series contains a sizzling, sexy love story set on an unspoilt, wild island in New Zealand. Meet Piper and West... She vowed never to return. To save her brother from financial ruin, Piper Harland must do the one thing she swore she'd never do-return to the tiny island ...more
ebook
Published December 18th 2013 by Icon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about In Too Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Too Deep

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Due South Series

In Too Deep is book one in the series, Due South, by Tracey Alvarez. I was first introduced to Tracey when I read the first book of her other series, Hide Your Heart. I believe she is going to be one of THOSE authors for me. The ones that you just instantly fall in love with their books, where her characters seem to touch my heart somehow. This book did just that.

Stewart Island, New Zealand

Nine years ago, Piper Harland was eighteen years old, living in the tiny town where she grew up of Oban, on Stewart Island, New Zealan
Karla
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 Stars! Wonderful debut book!

My joint review with Kathleen post at: Swept Away By Romance

What worked
Kathleen:
The story line was VERY good and kept me interested all the way through.
Kathleen
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen and Karla’s dual Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

What worked
Kathleen: What really surprised me was just how well done all the characters were in this book. I loved that it also included many characters from the small town community. I felt they added so many more layers to the story.
The story line was VERY good and kept me interested all the way through.
The writing was done so well that it grabbed me emotionally on so many levels. I was happy, sad, mad, I smiled, laughed, cried
Anne OK
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Absolutely loved reading Tracey Alvarez's debut book. It's a well-drawn story with both angst and laughter starring a great cast of strong characters and romance that sizzles from start to finish. Readers don't have to wait for the happily-ever-after either!

Looking forward to the next book in the "Due South" series.
KatLynne
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KatLynne by: Karla & Kathleen
3.5 Stars

Mandi Schreiner
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I decided to try this one mostly because the blurb caught my attention. The heroine is a cop, a police diver more specifically and I thought that was different. This is also a debut book and I’m always looking for new authors to try. This one pleasantly surprised me.

Set in New Zealand, Piper is a cop, who also has her diver certification. Her father’s drowning years ago still lingers over her, and on one particular dive where she finds the body of a teenage boy, the memories of her past become t
Yodamom
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this New Zealand Island romance. What a wonderful experience. The writing was so vivid I could see the images and walk along side these fabulous characters. This was like taking a vacation without the cost and long flight. The characters, there is no way you can't help but admire, like and wish the best for them. They have realistic problems, and deal with them in easy to believe ways, and even have believable sex. Yes you heard that right, there were no extreme unrealistic descriptions ...more
Karina Ramirez
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, new-adult
5 Stars!

So I really LOVED this book!

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this book between the angst and sexual tension wow I was hooked.

Piper left her small island town at 18 after her father died in a diving accident. She left everyone behind her mother her brother and sister and West, Her brothers best friend and also the love of her life who shattered her heart.

Now nine years later Piper is a cop and apart of the Dive Rescue Squad after a particularly hard case she is given time of
Johanna Sawyer
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I checked my inbox and discovered this read I won from librarything, and I have to tell you I glanced at it even though I have a mountain of books to be read before this one. I got hooked and couldn't stop reading, and loved it. It's about a girl who works for the police diving team, they search for lost ones in water. Well her history is that she was a spotter for her father when he free dove, and he died. She had been distracted because she had been dumped the night before. Ten years ahead, he ...more
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This wasn't a bad read. It did feel slow at times though. thankfully I liked both the characters. I was glad that they finally came to their senses and stopped playing games. It was so obvious that they were in love with each other.
Rob.C. Rob.C.
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Wow. Wow. This should be enough to let you know what I thought of this book, but I guess it’s not enough of a review, is it? :)
I’ve been recently having trouble with books with an intriguing blurb that left me with a sour taste in my mouth once I finished them, so when I started reading In Too Deep I had no expectations – which I’ve decided is the best way to start a book, especially by an author I don’t know.
I didn’t need to get too deep into the book (forgive the pun!) to get hooked. A co
Sherilee Gray
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Tracey Alvarez has a writing style that draws you in and keeps you there with laugh out loud humour, heart wrenching emotion, and vivid imagery. West and Piper have never stopped loving each other, though neither one is keen to admit it, and when they drop their guard and come together they heat up the pages with some seriously hot scenes. There’s also a fantastic cast of characters, quirky individuals, you can’t help but care about. The story is set on New Zealand’s Stewart I ...more
Becky
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, contemporary
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books.

This book was so much fun! An all-around great read with fantastic characters, a solid plot, and a delicious romance, I am so glad it's first in a series because Due South is definitely a fictitious establishment I'm going to be returning to more than once.

Lovers-with-a-past is one of my favorite troupes, and it's done very well here. Piper and West have explosive chemistry, but when they parted nine years ago all kinds of misunderstandings--some of them due t
Carrie Elks
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Tracey Alvarez book but it won't be my last. I loved everything about it - the New Zealand setting, the feisty heroine, the hero who made my heart speed up. Looking forward to the next in the series!
Doris
Vor neun Jahren verließ Piper ihre Heimat Stewart Island, um zu vergessen und Polizistin zu werden. Jetzt ist sie als einzige Frau Teil des New Zealand Police Dive Squads, obwohl ihr bei jedem Tauchgang der Tod ihres Vaters wieder vor Augen steht.

Neun Jahre lang hat sie den Kontakt zu Mutter, Schwester und Bruder fast vollständig vermieden, doch als ihre Shaye sie jetzt um Hilfe bittet, tut sie das, was sie nie tun wollte - Piper kehrt nachhause zurück. Der Empfang auf der Insel ist kühl. Ihr Br
Kathrin
I was looking for a nice and easy read while being on vacation when I stumbled upon Tracey Alvarez. What intrigued me in the beginning was the fact that the story is takes place in New Zealand. (By now, I learned that there’re actually two series – one playing on the north, one on the south island.) I visited New Zealand for my honeymoon in 2013 and more than a well-written contemporary romance I enjoy going back to places that I visited in the past.

The book was advertised as an ‘enemies-turnin
Lisa
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
In Too Deep by Tracey Alvarez is the first book in her Due South series. Set in New Zealand and featuring the hottest Kiwi men ever, this is a romance that will wrap itself around you and have you feeling right along with the characters. Their pain, their joy, their doubt is laid out in every word just ready for you to own as you read.

I know I'm reading a good book when I get the tight bands of emotion in my chest at pivotal points in the tale and this book delivered emotion by the literal boat-
Nicole

**Arc received from the author in exchange for an honest review.**

"Because she owned him now, each disconnected part of his heart made whole by her claiming. There was no retreat, so he didn’t hold anything back. Frustration, need, desire, denial, desperation. Love. Everything he had inside, he gave to her. Trapped by her soul-filled eyes, West let go, trusting instinct and emotion to carry them both home."

Piper Harland lives in Wellington, New Zealand as a cop for the National Dive Squad. When
Cristina Valencia
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Too Deep (Due South, #1) by Tracey Alvarez
At first I felt somewhat disconnected from the story. It didn't grab me right away -took me a little while to get hooked but I'm so glad I stuck with it.

Once I really got into it, there were so many things I liked about the book, it wasn't just the main characters but all of them. I loved the small town island setting and the fact that everyone was like one big family. It's one of those books that you want to live in!

I really enjoyed the interaction between Piper and West, especially how it e
Marsha
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(2.5 Stars)
I was really looking forward to "In Too Deep" especially after reading several of the stellar reviews; unfortunately, it was rather a miss for me because of all of the excessive squabbling between the two main characters. Although, they were supposed to be hopelessly in love, the constant bickering made it hard to believe.

Piper has been gone from her home on the islands for many years since the death of her father. She has been working as a police diver recovering the bodies of drowni
Sandra Nachlinger
In Too Deep, Book 1 of 4 in the Due South Series, takes place in a small town on New Zealand's Stewart Island. After her father's drowning death, Piper Harland fled to NZ's South Island and trained to become a member of the elite Police National Dive Squad. But more than sadness over her father's death had driven her away from her family and friends. When she returns to Stewart Island temporarily to help save her brother from financial ruin, she is confronted by all the conflict she thought she' ...more
Ann
2.5 stars. Not poorly written just….nah, just didn’t care for this one. The h/Piper, a police department dive officer, has a HUGE chip on her shoulder, strives not to be feminine if she can help it, a hard ass with definite issues and tons of family guilt. She resists the H/Ryan for most of the bk. Piper and Ryan have history so he puts up with her grumpy, hard ass attitude now that she's temporarily back in town with smirking, teasing and taunting. They’re obviously “it” for one another, but wa ...more
Daydream Books
I had not read anything by Tracey Alvarez before picking up this book. The synopsis sounded interesting as I have only read one previous story based in New Zealand, and I liked the idea of reading about a small town girl who had run away to the city to escape her problems and how she dealt with having to go back years later.  It was a well written love story gone wrong from start to finish.  The author did a great job of unfolding the misunderstandings that happened ten years previously as the r ...more
Jenna
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through librarything. I could not put this book down! It's so much more than a romance. It's about a family still trying to cope with the death of a loved one nine years ago. It's about a community sticking by each other. It's about forgiveness. And, yes, it's also a beautiful love story. There were so many wonderful things going on with this book. I'm thrilled to continue on with this series. Oh, and now I feel a trip to New Zealand is a must!
Kathryn
Tracey Alvarez has written an engaging book in a true to life New Zealand setting. If you are a reader who likes interesting characters with 'some baggage', a plot that has plenty happening, a satisfying ending - and a hot sexy relationship thrown in as well, then this is a book to read. And in among all that a couple of issues around water safety and guilt to get you thinking. Well written.
Clau
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, in-english
Me encanta este tipo de libros, donde los protagonistas se odian mutuamente y pasan más de la mitad discutiendo y peleándose. También me gusta mucho el cliché del "mejor amigo que se enamora de la hermana menor de su amigo", y aquí también tenemos de eso.
No solo se trata de una historia de amor: también es la historia de una familia que me mantuvo pendiente en cada página.
Dísir
Never thought I'd be so engaged in this incredibly compelling story. Piper is my absolute heroine - I laughed, felt and cried along with what she'd gone through, carried effortlessly through the book by Ms. Alvarez's smooth prose - and clapped when she got her HEA.
Devon
4.5

second chance love stories are my favourite, it took me a while to get into it but that's cause i was in a slump but i loved it a lot a lot a lot

thanks nini for telling me to read it
Natasza Waters
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
See a review of this exceptional author in the April issue of InD'tale Magazine.

Natasza Waters
Elaine Wilson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters in this book. You can actually understand the feelings of guilt our main heroine is suffering from. They're not unreasonable or irrational, as in some books. The chemistry between them all works well and the story sets up the secondary characters nicely, in order to get them to their books.

Guilt, blame, death and a totally hot free diver.

Piper was with her father when he died, nine years ago. She was his diving buddy. But Ryan 'West' Westlake, broke her heart the night bef
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book 3 to my series. :-) 3 14 Sep 13, 2014 11:42PM
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover help please 3 22 Aug 22, 2014 04:49PM
  • (Once) Again (Again, #2)
  • Down Outback Roads (Outback Dust #2)
  • Fast Forward
  • The Recruit (MTG Agencies #1)
  • Eve and Adam: Chapters 1-5
  • Psi Another Day (Psi Fighter Academy, #1)
  • Red River (Tent City #2)
  • Gimme Some Sugar (Pine Mountain, #2)
  • Forever Layla
  • Hounded (Going to the Dogs #3)
  • The Luthier's Apprentice (Violinist Detective Series, #1)
  • A Rare Treat (Treats to Tempt You, #3)
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
  • Untangle My Heart (Tangled Hearts, #1)
  • No Sunshine When She's Gone (Barefoot William Beach, #3)
  • Stone of Destiny (The Danaan Trilogy, #2)
  • Broken Dreams (Broken, #2)
  • Stranded with a Hero (Three River Ranch, #3.5, Lone Pine Lake, #2.5; Real Men, #2.5; Accidentally in Love, #2.5)
Tracey Alvarez lives in the Coolest Little Capital in the World (a.k.a Wellington, New Zealand) where she’s yet to be buried under her to-be-read book pile by Wellington’s infamous wind—her Kindle’s a lifesaver! Married to a wonderfully supportive IT guy, she has two teens who would love to be surgically linked to their electronic devices.

Fuelled by copious amounts of coffee, she’s the author of c

Stewart Island (10 books)
  • Melting into You (Stewart Island, #2)
  • Ready to Burn (Stewart Island, #3)
  • Christmas with You (Stewart Island, #4)
  • My Forever Valentine (Stewart Island, #5)
  • Playing For Fun (Stewart Island, #6)
  • Drawing Me In (Stewart Island, #7)
  • Saying I Do (Stewart Island, #8)
  • Home For Christmas (Stewart Island, #9)
  • Bending The Rules (Stewart Island, #10)
“You must be very secure in your masculinity to parade around in those budgie smugglers.”
“Oh, I’m very secure.” He see-sawed the towel over his back. “And I’m happy to show you the rear view of my budgie smugglers—oh wait—you already saw it when you were checking out my ass.”
4 likes
“But baby, you started this.” The hand on her hip tugged her closer, her inner thighs brushing against the smooth fabric pulled taut over his long legs.
She tugged at the fingers on her hip, wriggling at the same time, desperate to escape. “And now I’m ending it.”
“I’ll decide where it ends,” he said.”
1 likes