Start by marking “The Deep End of the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Deep End of the Sea

The Deep End of the Sea

What if all the legends you’ve learned were wrong?

Brutally attacked by one god and unfairly cursed by another she faithfully served, Medusa has spent the last two thousand years living out her punishment on an enchanted isle in the Aegean Sea. A far cry from the monster legends depict, she’s spent her time educating herself, gardening, and desperately trying to frighten
Published February 5th 2014 by Cerulean Books (first published February 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Deep End of the Sea, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Deep End of the Sea
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 4.5
The girl whose beauty was once fabled became a horrifying monster.
Her legs twisted together into a reptilian beast. Her hair, so envied by women and the subject of many an ode by men, transformed into a nest of vipers.
I am the Gorgon Medusa. And my eyes can turn anything living to stone.
Percy Jackson's dad is not only guilty of being an absentee father, he is a rapist. The Gorgon Medusa knows it well; she is one of his victims.

This book is just so fucking good. So
Lola
An original retelling of Medusa’s story.

description

She is a maiden, serving Athena, when, one day, Poseidon, with whom she had the pleasure to converse and could even call ‘friend’, raped her. Athena was furious, for Medusa lost her virginity in her temple, and sent her to an isle she can’t escape from and cursed her into the monster we know and truly call ‘Medusa.’ The one who can turn any living being to stone, if they ever have the pleasure to hold her gaze…
I often wonder what my own death will be
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
5+ Stars

This book was released in 2014, so I am a little late to the party.

That being the case, I am sure there are already some super awesome reviews out there for this so I will (attempt) to keep this short.

description

This book is a spin on classic Greek Mythology.
And super fucking fun.

Being that I was was an English major back in the day...I read my fair share of English Literature, American Literature, Shakespearean Literature...

...and EVERY word of Paradise-Death-By-Iambic-Pentameter-Lost (which I
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
5 stars!!

Love mythology? I recommend this book.
Hate mythology? I recommend this book.
Don’t care about mythology? I recommend this book
Need a new book to read? I recommend this book.

Anyways, this is such a fantastic standalone – possibly my favorite book for May! Although this story revolves around Greek mythology I would classify this book as both fantasy and contemporary – if you took away the mythology aspect, this story would read as any other contemporary romance and for me that was a plus
Rachel Reads Ravenously
5 stars!!!

This book BLEW. ME. AWAY. I know this book only came out a few months ago, but I am bewildered that this book isn’t a phenomenon online, because it really is that wonderful!

A modern day retelling of the Greek myth of Medusa, we discover that after suffering at the hands of someone she had trusted, Medusa is betrayed by the god she worshiped and cursed into being a monster. For over 2,000 years Dusa has remained isolated on an island, tortured by the guilt of accidentally killing men
Navessa
DNF @ page 1752

I kid, it wasn't really that long of a book, it just felt that way. I'm not rating this, because a) I didn't get far enough in to warrant one, and b) this might just be a case of wrong book, wrong time.

When I wasn't annoyed by the lack of consistency in how the Greek pantheon and their accompanying myths were handled, I was either gagging on how cheesy/sappy/cringeworthy the romance was, or doing this:

Jasmine
4.5 GREEK STARS!

"I love you. Hold onto that. I did not wait two thousand years for your love only to lose it so easily."

In the name of almighty Zeus, this. book. is. AMAZING. What an absolutely unique concept that breathes life into the Greek mythology. This book is like a birthchild of what happens when mythology meets contemporary and being a fan of this subject, I was completely enthralled by this read.

The Deep End of the Sea is the modern day retelling of the Greek myth, Medusa.
Natalie Monroe

I'm probably going to be kicked out of the cool kids' club for saying this, but: Ididn'treallylikethisbook.

I agree that The Deep End of the Sea has a beautiful, beautiful theme and beautiful, beautiful writing. It has beautiful, beautiful characters who defy stereotypes and a beautiful, beautiful twist on Greek mythology.

But that's the thing. I don't like how this book handled Greek mythology. Or how it reads more like an edgy contemporary than a book based on Greek mythology.

Now
Jilly
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Well we all knew the Greek gods were crazy, vengeful, MF's, right? But, who knew that Medusa was a poor victim rather than a hideous monster? Not me. I read the mythological version of her story and it says that she was Athena's handmaiden who, after taking a vow of celibacy, fell in love with Poseidon and married him - leading to her curse by Athena for breaking her vow. But, the writer of that myth was a filthy liar! Typical misogynistic blaming the victim mentality of history. Yeah, and I'm ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Greek, gods, love, lust, power.

My favourite parts of this book were the beginning and the end. Because they are masterfully written.

I was apprehensive when I started this - you just have to look at how I reacted to the Starcrossed series to know what can happen when someone messes with something I know and love (Greek Mythology). But this is done so well. The way it is written, the reasons given for the changes, this is a wonderful story which I loved from start to finish.

Heather Lyons
Susana

TW's: Rape

There are stories that you know hope you are going to love: this was one of them.
From the synopsis to the first pages of this book, I knew I was going to devour this!

It’s a beautiful sight, which only saddens me, because all of that talk about death and beauty being intertwined is one of the biggest loads of crap I’ve ever heard. Death isn’t beautiful. Too often than not, it’s messy and brutal; even when done in sleep, there’s still that theft of breath, that failure of a
Nina
Will you look at that - I'm the odd one out once again.

This tastes like New Adult. Is it just me who's under this impression, or was it actually marketed as YA? Because that's what I was expecting, but not what I got.

Don't get me wrong - it's good. I really enjoyed it. But all the cool reviewers fangirled over it, and I'm stuck wondering why I'm the only one who wasn't wowed.

To start on a positive note, I do love the idea behind this novel for the most part. One thing didn't sit well with me
Varsha
Most of you who are familiar with Greek mythology are aware of Medusa. A woman cursed by Athena and turned into a snake headed monster whose eyes could turn anyone to stone.
Heather Lyons has taken this same Medusa's legend and has turned it into a wonderful and heartfelt story of redemption, hope, love and friendship. And I love this book. Forced myself to stay up through my constant headache just to finish it.

Hershey
The one main factor that made this book stand out is the usage of Greek Mythology. This book could have been another typical contemporary novel but like I said, the supernatural elements made this book stand out and enjoyable to read.

"I am a monster. The worst kind of monster. The kind that people have told stories about for thousands of years.
I am the Gorgon Medusa. And my eyes can turn anything living to stone."

Meet Medusa , whom we all miscalculated to be a nasty villain. In this book,
Gelisvb
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Once upon a time in Greece, lived a girl who had no particular gift, but one: she was beautiful.
She didn't care about beauty, so she decided to become one of the Athena servants in a temple where her beauty wouldn't count.
Until nne day she met a man, a man who became her friend, one to whom she could talk and didn't seem to care about her beauy.
But that man was Poseidon and he did her care about her beauty enough to rape her.
Athena, accusing her of having been unclean and having dishonored her
-ya
2.5-stars
The premise is intriguing, but this book is really like a typical NA romance with Greek mythology ...in name only.

The main characters come across as one-dimensional.
It has cheese and sweetness in the romance. Lots of giggling and blushing too.

Ultimately, the character development and dialogue fall flat for me.

Khunsa
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every. single. person.
Surely I must have drunk too much wine, because all of this--his touch, his concern, his friendship--it's left me heady and hopeful. I marvel at how easily he can touch me right now, me, a monster, and he's as steady as always.
description
Warning: the beauty in the intimate scenes may cause ugly sobbing to occur. In case such an event occurs, please proceed to cry till your eyes are swollen and your face is a wet mess. This must be done immediately or the pent up feels may cause you to explode in the near
Jessica
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, new-adult
This is such a complicated review to write. No matter what- my words will NOT be able to do this incredibly moving story of hope justice. Heather Lyons has created such a beautifully written story with poignant, striking characters that you won't be able to forget anytime soon. Fans of Greek mythology will see a whole new take on the story of Medusa- her isolation, her associations with the gods, and what her future holds.

Oh Medusa. There were so many times in this story that I just wanted to
Louisa
I am a monster. The worst kind of monster. The kind that people have told stories about for thousands of years. The kind that daredevils like poor Walt seek out, even though many believe I'm nothing more than a myth.
I am the Gorgon Medusa. And my eyes can turn anything living to stone.

So you thought Medusa was evil and horrendous and the stuff of living nightmares? YOU THOUGHT WRONG!

If you're a fan of semi-contemporary retellings of Greek mythology (or mythology in general), The Deep End of
Farrah
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant new take on the Medusa myth, The Deep End of the Sea was a fantastic read. I loved this book! It was romantic, thrilling, and just wonderful.

I've always felt bad for Medusa. Despite the fact that she was a monster in the myths, I never saw her as bad. She was a victim of the gods and her story was really a tragedy. So, it was nice seeing a retelling that allowed her a happy ending.

Medusa was a lovely heroine. She was kind and likable and never forgot her humanity in all
Caitlin Kerry
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2014
This is the tale of Medusa. But it's not the one you're use too. No, this is a spin on Medusa's story that has heart and makes you feel for this poor ol Medusa and the struggle she went through. I will say I wasn't too familiar with her story, so as I started to read this I took a minute to read the original story. To say I was pleasantly surprised with this book would be an understatement, I was ecstatic with this retelling.

"It out to be noted I have some of the most wretched luck ever to be
Nikki
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
*sigh* This book genuinely started off good, really good. I immediately liked Medusa and the life she had formed for herself on her isolated island. I loved the snakes on the top of her head and the relationship she had with them. The author set it up so that Medusa was able to be in touch, albeit from a distance, with the modern world and it worked. Overall Medusa came across as a strong, realistic narrator and I really looked forward to where the story would lead.

Sadly, for me this all came
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, after the glowing five-star review from the wonderful Khanh, I had to check this book out for myself, since she seldom gives books five-star ratings. Again, I suppose it became another case of having too-high expectations.

I mean, for the most part I enjoyed this book and its interpretation of Greek mythology. I loved the characters--Hades is my boo--and the interactions between them, and I liked the spin on Medusa's story. However, my gripe with this book is that it laid the romance on a
Vilma Iris
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
description

A tragic life story. An all-consuming romance. An unforgettable fairy tale. Get ready to lose yourself in the depths of emotion, as you experience this amazing story of kindness, friendship, love and hope.One of the most beautiful stories I’ve ever read.

------------

“This is my fairy tale. And it most definitely has a happy ending.”

Have you ever had a story consume you so completely that it was difficult to let go? A story that took you back to being a girl who fell in love with fairy tales?
 LEAH⇢
4.2 Out Of 5 "don't look into my eyes" STARS

Heather Lyons is one of my favoriteAuthors, because of her seriesThe Collectors Society. If you haven't tried this series yet thenyou should.

I'm not mythology junkie, so I went into this knowing what the average person knows about Greek Mythology. Which are only the basics. With that being said…I thought this a deftly done and modern take on Medusa and the Greek Gods, one that I rather enjoyed reading. The romance was sometimes on the bland side, but
Paige
This book was such a sweet surprise. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect other than I heard it was a phenomenal love story. It was so that but it was also more than that. At times it felt YA, at times it felt contemporary, and at times NA, but even so it was so well written. A beautiful story of friendship, true love, overcoming a painful past, and finding oneself. I'm definitely checking out Heather Lyons' other work now because I'm hooked.
Paula
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!! This book was recommended to me by a reader friend. I'm so glad that she did because I would have never known about this book! What a hidden gem. I love finding out and reading these books. A modern day twist on Medusa's story, this one had me crying a few times. Beautiful book!
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANTLY AMAZING!!!
Totally blown away!!!!

FULL REVIEW:
Can I just say GENIUS??? Yeah, I mean it...The brilliance in this age old tale created by Heather Lyons is just AMAZING!!! She literally had me glued to the pages of this story...eager to know where it was going to go and exactly what was going to happen.
A tale about Medusa... A heart-warming tale about Medusa, mind I tell ya....And enthralling to say the least...
So, obviously you know that I loved this story. I truly do not want to go in
Lexie
Guys...guys okay I forced myself to stay awake through a MIGRAINE to finish this book because OMG ALL THE LOVE.

+++

My full review will be posted at my blog on 2/21 for the blog tour however let me just leave you with a top 5 list of why this is one of the best books I've read this year:

1) Medusa ("Dusa") is a vibrant, well-adjusted (considering her circumstances) young woman who doesn't angst endlessly about the tortures of her life. Though she acts the victim at first, she eventually realizes
Kuroi
A sensitive book about victims of rape disguised as a YA mythology story.

The Deep End of the Sea definitely deserves credit for its touching portrayal of how a victim of sexual abuse fights back to a normal life. I loved that Heather Lyons chose to take a much overlooked aspect of Greek mythology and turn it into something modern readers could relate to. As character development goes, Dusa's journey from a broken girl scared of her own shadow to a confident individual was well plotted.

Also,

• Crossed (Soul Eaters, #3)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • Cracked (Soul Eaters, #1)
  • Red Rider (The Sworn Saga #1)
  • The Space Between
  • Entreat Me
  • Silver Wolf (The Sworn Saga Book 2)
  • A Dream of Stone & Shadow (Dirk & Steele, #4)
  • Soul Song (Dirk and Steele,  #6)
  • Shadow Touch (Dirk & Steele,  #2)
  • Where the Heart Lives (Dirk & Steele #6.5)
  • Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele,  #1)
  • Eye of Heaven (Dirk & Steele #5)
  • The Red Heart of Jade (Dirk & Steele, #3)
  • The Wild Road (Dirk & Steele, #8)
  • The Last Twilight (Dirk & Steele, #7)
  • Dark Dreamers (Dark #6.5; Dirk & Steele #4)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
Heather Lyons is known for writing epic, heartfelt love stories often with a fantastical twist. From Young Adult to New Adult to Adult novels—one commonality in all her books is the touching, and sometimes heart-wrenching, romance. In addition to writing, she's also been an archaeologist and a teacher. She and her husband and children live in sunny Southern California and are currently working ...more
“I run. I kick. I punch. I listen. I write. I give.
I live.
Stars above, I live.”
24 likes
“I am a monster. The worst kind of monster. The kind that people have told stories about for thousands of years. The kind that daredevils like poor Walt seek out, even though many believe I’m nothing more than a myth.” 10 likes