Start by marking “A Perfect Husband” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Husband

A Perfect Husband

The "New York Times" bestselling true-crime writer chronicles the highly-publicized story of novelist Michael Peterson, who was convicted of first-degree murder for beating his wife to death in 2001 in order to collect her life insurance. Original.
Published May 7th 2013 by Pinnacle Books (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Husband

Start your review of A Perfect Husband
Joanna Elm
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The husband of the title in this true crime account is novelist and former newspaper columnist, Michael Peterson -- and if that name sounds familiar it’s because he’s the star of the 13-episode Netflix true crime docu-series, The Staircase. You won’t necessarily know, even by watching to the end of The Staircase whether Peterson is actually innocent, or guilty of murdering his wife, Kathleen.

He told cops she died after falling down the stairs of their mansion in Durham, North Carolina. Cops and
Michelle
May 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a follow up after seeing the documentary The Staircase. The Staircase was told very much from the defendant's point of view, so it was very enlightening to read the prosecution's side. That being said, it was not a well-written book and I was tempted to pull out my red pen and edit the poorly written story. If it hadn't been a library book, I might have done so! :)
J.H. Moncrieff
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Rated M for meh.

It's okay, but could easily be 100 pages shorter. It doesn't help to know this guy is now off, awaiting a new trial.

Note to future criminals: if you get away with killing someone in your life, don't do it again. Seriously. How dumb are you?
David Sprague
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is always hard for me to believe people out there are this evil. It is something we all need to be reminded of. Aphrodite Jones books I have enjoyed in the past; so, I figured this might be good. This one reminds me of the Mitchel case so much. It was unbelievable how normal this man could be for long periods of time. You normally expect murderers to be creepy, weird and odd to others. I found the story to be shocking and surprising.
Denise Wallace
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating inside look at a marriage and the lengths some will go to when cornered.
kathi
Feb 09, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to kathi by: advertising
I can not figure out why I continued with this book... probably that morbid curiousity I have.
I had heard many good things about this author but I found her to be a cheap copy of Ann Rule...who I enjoy very much and is a professional and obviously does very thorough research...this author didn't.
Ironically there was an hour program on TV last night that I thought I would watch since I had just finished the book. Within three minutes I turned the show off..the police interview with the perp was p
Roxann G.
I am a huge fan of true crime and was very familiar with this case even before I picked up the book. It falls into the category of guilty pleasure for me - won't win any literary awards but I still managed to learn more tidbits. The case itself falls into the "truth is stranger than fiction" category and I find the details fascinating. If you get creeped out easily, avoid.
Indra
May 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Interesting enough and about typical for a true crime book. Giving it two stars instead of three because it lingered on gore too much for my liking and included photos of corpses, which no reader needs to see.
Joe
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the book, then watched the documentary on TV. The husband is nothing more than a pathetic pile of social sewage. The book was easy to read and you'll get disgusted with the husband as you keep reading the book.
Miz
Oh man, what a slooooooow way of telling a story. It would be much better as a documentary!
Erin
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good supplement to The Staircase documentary on Netflix. There are several things that were not presented in that documentary that may make you think differently about this case.
Shell Martin
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicely written book. Way better than I had expected.

It starts off very objective (or trying to be objective...) which I really liked...but the bias is not so tamped down by the end. At any rate, I still liked it much more than I had anticipated. I know these books on the case see Michael Peterson as guilty, but they don't provide any real proof except emotional bias (feelings have NO IQ...), which do circumstantially SEEM strong. There needs to be more explained though, like a motive and what t
Joyce
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

I do not like the way this book was written. Aphrodite Jones wrote this book like a novel and I just don’t see how she knew people’s feelings and private conversations. It just seemed fake. I kept thinking how does she know this? I would have liked the book to be more about facts and less like a novel.

One thing I did learn is that there were signs of domestic abuse with Kathleen. There were signs but people missed them. If people dug a bit more into that they would find s
Patricia Hoag
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Narcissist & Murderer

Aphrodisiac Jones did a very good job of bringing out so many of the facts in the murder of Kathleen Peterson. Kathleen wanted to be needed at the time she became close to Peterson. Little did she know how used she would become by this dangerous, deranged man. It was odd to me that he could attempt to influence he police as to what happened in both staircase murders, and at the same time making it clear he was not there.
Regarding his lifestyle, why didn't Caitlin question i
Jeff
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good book, a solid four stars. The book is "dated" however. A lot transpired with this case and Michael after this book was written. Google it. Netflix has a documentary, 13 parts, The Staircase, about these events. It was done from the defenses point of view though. Several important issues aren't mentioned in the film.

On the other hand, the book favors the deceased wife, which I believe is more factual. Read this book, Google the updates, and watch the documentary, knowing that it is bias
Khris Sellin
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, I have a gazillion books in my "must read" pile, but I had to stop everything to read this and the Diane Fanning book about Michael Murderer Peterson, because since this "new" "documentary" about the case came out on Netflix, I couldn't believe I was hearing people say they thought he was innocent! No!
Manipulative, controlling, narcissistic, sociopathic murderer. Period. May he never know a moment's peace.
Krista
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Another true crime book about the Michael Peterson case. This one reveals the oddness surrounding Peterson's sons, and it has (just a warning) photos of his deceased friend at the time of her exhumation. (That's right, 18 years after her death.) Interesting enough, but as I said about another Peterson book, not as fascinating as the documentary, "The Staircase."
TROY M. VANCE
Jun 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Review

This was a so so book on the death of Mrs. Peterson, but Mr. Peterson is now out of prison 8 years later. I think his lawyer just kind of day on his ass and did not really do his job. As to if he really did it, I still do not know. I know the blood guy Diane was found to lie about his work and a man in prison was released because of false reports.
Lindsay
It took a long time for me to get through this and I don't know why. To me the most upsetting part was the systematic isolation of the victim's daughter from her siblings. She was made to feel like a monster for wanting justice for her mother. I hope she's found peace.
Dottie Hart
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read the book yet, but I'm a huge fan of Aphrodite Jones so I give 5 stars to Aphrodite as an author and her accomplishments. I'm going to start it today and I'll rate and comment when I'm finished.
Angie and the Daily Book Dose
A very different take away than the documentary THE STAIRCASE. This is a take on the MIchael Peterson case. The book was not bad, and I did learn a few things that I'd never heard before. Overall it was not overtly exploitative, and the book does not really question the guilt of Peterson.
Bridget
a little long and drawn out, could have been done shorter and with more excitement. But I still like Ms. Jones's books.
Marianne Stehr
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this did not keep my interest and I gave up on it half way through
Theresa
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written true murder story that left me in doubt of his guilt right up to the middle of the book.
Vicki Daffern
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

I found this book to be a real page turner, even though I knew the outcome, it was still very interesting.
Roseann Fox
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Disturbing.

I can't recommend a book with this much violence and innuendos. I wish I hadn't read it. The photos were so disturbing and inappropriate.
Joanne Rajer
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Funny how people do bad things thinking they'll get away with it. It never ceases to amaze me how many sick people there are in this world.
Paul
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid account of the Peterson case. The writing is informative rather than entertaining, and the book could use an update to take into account recent developments.
Angela
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
well written about the horrific asshole who is Michael Peterson
Kermy
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two big reveals that you won't see coming? Yes, please.

• Written in Blood
  • I'll Take Care of You
  • Lost Girls
  • Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
  • Murder on Birchleaf Drive: The True Story of the Michelle Young Murder Case
  • The Sea of Lost Girls
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • Haunted Hideout
  • No One Is Perfect: The True Story Of Candace Mossler And America's Strangest Murder Trial
  • Dannemora: Two Escaped Killers, Three Weeks of Terror, and the Largest Manhunt Ever in New York State
  • Blind Faith
  • Where Monsters Hide: Sex, Murder, and Madness in the Midwest
  • Hijacked: The True Story of the Heroes of Flight 705
  • Little Shoes: The Sensational Depression-Era Murders That Became My Family's Secret
  • A Descent Into Hell
Aphrodite Jones is an award-winning American reporter and author who writes about murder. Her knack for detail allows her to dissect bizarre murder cases and bring readers into the heart of darkness. Now, the author has taken her career to TV as the executive producer and TV host of the ID series, True Crime with Aphrodite Jones, which airs on Investigation Discovery.
Jones is now filming her sixt