Start by marking “Dublin in the Rain” as Want to Read:
Dublin in the Rain

Read Book

Dublin in the Rain

On a rainy day in Dublin, during the spring of 1947, a tragic accident brought devastation to those involved. As the subsequent years pass, unable to come to terms with the accident, the survivors set the path for a deeply troubled future for each generation that followed.

Jonathan Melton had a traumatic childhood in which he ended up in foster care, but when he meets the w
Published November 11th 2013 by New Generation Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dublin in the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dublin in the Rain

Aditi
“Celebrate the past, don't regret it.”
---― Andrew Critchley, Dublin in the Rain

Andrew Critchley, an English author, has spun a spectacular story in his debut novel, Dublin in the Rain, which follows the life of an emotionally-torn man, named, Jonathan Paul Melton.

Synopsis:
Vani
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Dublin in the Rain’ is a wonderful coming-of-age novel about a young Englishman, Jonathan Melton who must circumvent several challenges to find a true purpose in his life. The novel touches upon several themes, the most overriding one being that of redemption, not only from the shackles of the past but also whatever (or whoever) is not a part of your life in the present. The novel is about celebrating what’s gone and looking at the future with hope and faith, something that the author reminds u ...more
Merril Anil
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So intense and vivid

First of all a huge thanks to the author for sharing his work with me and it had been a wonderful reading experience

The book was like watching somebody grow up right in front of me. Watching somebody go through the troughs and crests of his life, while doing and learning from his mistakes

Undoubtedly the author is a master story teller. The way he vividly shared the life of a young man is commendable.

The narration is chopped into small blocks, so you can easily go thro
Ariane Etoc
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are books that follow us and stay in a small corner of our head. Of those books that bring a smile on your face every time you look back. Dublin in the rain is definitely one of them.

A book is always a promise. A promise to travel, to dream, to learn…For a moment in time to live a life that is not yours. From the first to the last page, I was literally absorbed by the story; almost living it.

The content is written in a way that is easily understandable by non English people. The style is
Amie's Book Reviews
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
DUBLIN IN THE RAIN by Andrew Critchley

I was chosen as the lucky winner of a hardcover copy of this book from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway promotion.

Never having heard of this author, or really knowing what this book was about, I was up for giving it a read. I will read anything and as has been proven with this book, sometimes the best reads come unexpectedly.

**This review contains spoilers**

Jonathan Melton is at the center of this tale. It begins with his unhappy childhood and his desert
Christie
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posted-on-blog
Kate
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads"

Wow . . . Dublin in the Rain, left me stunned—in the most positive sense and is an interesting tale. One in which I can honestly say, that i have never read anything quite like this before as it held me truly captivated from page one. Critchley has created a captivating and beautifully constructed story line, that is both moving and emotionally charged. The book follows the heart felt touching journey of Jonathan Paul Melton (J.P) movi
Kim
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mesmerizing and all-consuming journey through the lives of complex and multifaceted characters that deeply touched my soul!

Dublin In The Rain is a beautifully executed and eloquently written novel, tracking the lives of cleverly constructed characters, whose personal journeys will strike a chord with each and every reader!

It is a multi-layered, smart and sexy piece of contemporary literature that can be read and interpreted on many different levels. Light, Dark, Paradox, Redemption, Symmetry,
Tom
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent modern day book. I normally prefer classical English literature but the book by Andrew Critchley works and work very well indeed. His prose is economical but never dull and the dialogue is quite mesmerising at times - particularly between the lead character Jonathan and the woman he falls in love with, Sophia.

Although initially unconvinced by the first person, past tense narrative (beyond the initial prologue, for some strange reason called a Preface), it undeniably works a
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
[See the full review at thoughts and afterthoughts.]

Rating: 4.75/5

Should this book be picked up? the tl;dr spoiler-less version:

-Dynamic and compelling characters with a dialogue-driven narrative.
-Seamlessly integrates issues like: divorce, alternative family, sexuality, substance abuse, and death.
-The power in this story comes from self-reflection and redemption; for the characters and as a reader.
-Multiple scenes with sexual context that may deter readers.
-I'd argue this book can be suited f
Linda
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-request
* Beware Spoilers Included*

It has been a couple of days since I finished reading Dublin in the Rain and I’m still trying to decide what I think of it. I don’t mind reading other people’s reviews as I don’t let them influence me but I find that everyone before me has given it 5 stars both on Goodreads and on Amazon. I know that not every book is for every reader and this one was not for me.

The story opened with two accidental deaths that left a young boy with no parents. He then grew up with his
Erin
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
After dealing with abandonment and his father's suicide, Jonathan Melton joins his friend's family. They take him in as one of their own. David, the family's son, and Jonathan head off to the same university. Everything changes when he meets Sophia. He falls deeply for her and they marry. When Sophia and Jonathan have a baby girl, everything seems perfect. Then everything changes. Their daughter dies unexpectedly and Jonathan begins drinking away his pain. He shuts out everyone and takes off. Wh ...more
JESSie NW
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-for-fun
As a man, JP is as masculine, chivalrous, handsome, amorous, experienced, savvy, perceptive, dense, industrious, smart, dimwitted, and manly as any man could expect and of course this is expected because this story is written from a man’s point of view. But Sophie is beautiful, womanly, naive, sexy, girly, tempered, soft, seductive and just strong enough to make every woman love her, envy her, admire her and know that a part of her is her…this is surprising because again it is written in a man’s ...more
Yana Stajno
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually enjoy fictional autobiographies but this novel kept me gripped and interested right until the end. It is very powerfully written and does deliver a lot of insights into the way the central character is able to endure just about everything life can throw at him. It seems a very honest, authentic work and is very good on human decency and the redemptive powers of friendship. I would recommend it and I'm am now looking forward to the second of the trilogy.
Kathryn
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it, own, first-reads
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

All I can say is Wow! I haven't read a story like this in a long time. It left me stunned, it was so emotional and heartfelt. I felt as though I was transported to a different place, I grew and evolved with the characters and am now so sad to see it come to an end. I highly recommend this book.
Ann
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from its author via Goodreads Giveaways.
To write about redemption and forgiveness is a risky game, but in this case it has been an inspiring reading, a door that leads to reflection in the attitude when facing adversity and obstacles that life puts you ahead.
We all have been JP Melton. Some have made different choices.
As a bonus, the constant references to the British and Irish literature and such graphic narrative about the streets of the city of Dublin are delightful.

I do
Pat
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-reads
Dublin in the Rain by Andrew Critchley with its captivating and beautifully constructed story line is the moving and emotionally charged journey of Jonathan Paul Melton as he moves through life, from boyhood to manhood, experiencing its many highs but also its heartbreaking lows.

Born into a loving, caring and financially comfortable family, Jonathan’s early years were happy and care free but all that changed forever as his parents marriage disintegrated, his mother abandoned him and his father e
Lucy Branch
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a gem of a book. The characters are truly authentic and you root for them every step of the way. I was so gripped that I even got up at 5am one morning so that I could get longer to read.

Although the author deals with some serious themes, he handles them with light hands and the highs are terrifically high. It tells all so if you prefer having some things left to the imagination then this might not be for you.

My only tiny niggle is that I didn't love the first chapter as much as the rest
Tracy Kreeger
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In today's society where we read a lot of novels about Vampires, Demons, Fairies, shifters and such this was a refreshingly different type of book. It follows the main character through the ups and downs of his life. It is very down to earth and i feel most people can relate to some of the things in this book. If you are looking for a down to earth book that is a story about real life things with a happy ending you have found it. Andrew has done a fantastic job with this book and i would highly ...more
Abby  L
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this story about Jonathan Melton. It touched my heart. The book is beautifully written. The story is characterized by gripping narrative and deep emotional impact. It is permeated with irony/lofty ideas/strong feelings. The author has dealt with some very heavy issues, yet, has done so with empathy and created a story that isn't one big, depressing tear-jerker. Everything is realistically portrayed. I highly recommend you to read it.
Sandra
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great book, deeply moving. The tone is thoroughly passionate and I remained completely gripped to its storyline till its very end! This is one of the best books I read in 2014!
Pearl Kirkby
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very beginning, Dublin in the Rain makes a fateful grab at your heart and will not let go. The prologue sets the stage for the array of emotions in which one may expect to be immersed, ranging from the blossoming of young love to the heart-rending grief of the loss of all one holds dear, to learning to survive a childhood of cold indifference after such a loss.

I was out of breath after only this first foreshadowing of things to come!

Trying to anticipate the relation between the horrific
Margaret
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Dublin in the Rain' introduces its readers to a series of believable characters all interlinked to the complex, endearing, lovable and sometimes infuriating JP Melton.

The book is written in easy, short and entertaining chapters that both clearly set the scene and had me as a reader feeling that I was so much part of the scene to the point where I actually wanted to contribute to the dialogue. If this was a film then there would have been many times when I would have been shouting at the TV.

I d
Gina
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads"

**SPOILERS**

I enjoyed this book immensely. However, I felt that it could have been slightly shorter; I nearly stopped reading halfway through because the point that Sophia and Melton were so incandescently happy had been thoroughly established and then some. The discord leveled out the joy, but it took a long time getting there. Also, for an author who writes so descriptively, I would have appreciated a bit more variety in the adjecti
Sharon Huether
I won this book through Goodreads First reads. A story of love, loss, feelings of abandonedment and depression. After many years Jonathan experienced forgiveness and true love.

Kuddos to the author. This is his debut novel. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Irene
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Very well written.

A very emotional story. Brought tears to my eyes at times as well as many smiles. Really enjoyed reading this novel.

Definitely recommend.
Kirsty
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading 'Dublin in the rain' so much! I couldn't put it down. A fascinating storyline that will never get old. I will be reading this book again and again. Thanks Andrew Critchley!!
Melinda Southwell
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So I threw the book down a couple of times upset with decisions made and things that happened, but always came back. Such a great book
Julie Carnes
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Not one page could be skimmed over and I couldn't put it down. Be prepared for Jonathan Melton to be part of your daily thoughts!!!!
Monique
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This self-published novel had good intentions and a good premise, but wasn't particularly well executed. A good publishing house would have taken what is really only good as a first draft, ripped it to shreds, and made the author put it back together again in a form that justified its purchase price.

It's the story of Jonathan (JP) from early childhood to the age of 30-or-so. It's a story about how a series of unfortunate, random events, and how those affected by those events deal with them, can
♥ Nothing Better ...: One of the best books in Adult Genre Fiction of 2014 1 36 Dec 26, 2014 01:23AM

• Fearless Passion: Find the Courage to Do What you Love
  • The Keeper
  • Bionic Byron Chapter 1
  • The Big Secret: The Whole and Honest Truth about Santa Claus
  • The Spider and the Sparrow
  • Zoe + the Demon Slayer
  • Covered Bridge Charm
  • Solomon the Peacemaker
  • Out of Darkness (Out of Darkness #1)
  • Unfantastic
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz
  • Calves In The Mud Room
  • Living Treasures
  • Equilibrium
  • Peeling Oranges
  • Anne Hawksmoor: Time in the Tower
  • The Temptation of Words
  • Edmund Persuader (Hampshire Romances #1)
Andrew Critchley was born in Sheffield, and has lived across Western Europe, now residing in Cardiff, South Wales. Following a successful business career, Critchley took early retirement in 2012 to pursue his dream of becoming a writer. Critchley is presently working on a project that will explore differing perspectives of the tragic Aberfan disaster of 1966. Dublin in the Rain is the first book i ...more
“Celebrate the past, don't regret it.” 17 likes