Start by marking “Women and Writing” as Want to Read:
Women and Writing

Women and Writing

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Known for her novels, and for the dubious fame of being a doyenne of the 'Bloomsbury Set', in her time Virginia Woolf was highly respected as a major essayist and critic with a special interest and commitment to contemporary literature, and women's writing in particular. This spectacular collection of essays and other writings does justice to those efforts, offering unique ...more
Published March 31st 2003 by A Harvest Book/Harcourt, Inc. (first published 1904)

Carol
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woolf
I am amazed in just 198 pages how Woolf can continually keep my attention with each chapter. This book focuses on her as the essayist and critic. Part 1 discusses women and fiction, leisure, status, professions, novelists and indiscretions. Part 2 focuses on specific women --brief bios including early years (some I knew of and others not), their writing challenges and Woolf's personal comments.

Women consist of:
1. Margaret Cavendish, Duchess of Newcastle (1624--1674)
2. Aphra Behn (1640-1689)
3. E
Catherine
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
There is no other edition of this available on Goodreads, so my apologies if the one in the picture does not have the 1979 introduction which I was relieved to finish. It had a more explicit feminism - one I associate with the time, and find rather strident - than the material it discussed.

I haven't read much by Virginia Woolf but enjoyed these short pieces. They had more wit than I remembered from Mrs Dalloway or A Room of One's Own. All the same, were I biographer whose work Woolf were review
Kirsten
Jul 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in fiction by and about women
One doesn't usually associate the venerable Woolf with light reading, but I found this collection of essays, reviews, and critical analyses to be just that: a pleasant primer to Woolf's theories on the history of women's fiction and her famous arguments regarding 500 pounds a year and a room of one's own.

The first half of the book collects a series of articles and responses to male critics regarding the past, future, and present of the female literary dilemma, as Woolf saw it. Even more illumina
Saralyn
Aug 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't know what bothers me most about Virginia Woolf. Perhaps it is the overwhelming condescension with which she treats her betters. (Better in talent, etc...) It bothered me that she picked on female writers from before her time for writing novels (instead of "serious" literature) and writing from their "limited" experience. What, pray, was Woolf doing but writing from her own experience and perspective? What do any of us write from?

Woolf spends a bit of time detailing how she "killed the An
Christina
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book samples essays by Woolf that focus on women and writing. There are some good thoughts about Jane Austen, the Brontes, and George Eliot, as well as some more famous essays about writing and art in general. I gave this two stars because several of the essays are reviews of books by authors now faded to obscurity and with good reason.
Nancy Abe
Some parts were a little dry, maybe because I'm not a fan of author reviews, but Woolf had some interesting insights into writing: p.91 "For masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice."
Emylie
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, 2012-read
I read this as a secondary source for a paper and really liked it. The first half of the book was fantastic and I enjoyed most of the essays. I have not read a lot of VW's fiction, but so far I've learned a lot from her essays.
Andrea
Mar 14, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This just looks good. I like Virginia Woolf (Except Mrs. Dalloway--wasn't crazy about that one) Women in rhetorich and writing is a topic that I might well have persued in my research had I not stumbled on the assessment thing that would be immediately useful in my next job.
secondwomn
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
a collection of woolf's essays and lectures on the subjects of women and writing as a career and on particular women writers. her commentary is insightful and her writing beautiful.
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Interesting collection of reviews on writers and their work.
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bendecida y agradecida de poder utilizar algunas citas de este libro en mi TFG. Maravillosa. <3
Leila
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Reminded me so much of my Literary Criticism classes to actually enjoy it.
Melissa
Aug 15, 2008 marked it as to-read
need to get
Mia -
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
un ennesimo tassello, a tratti sconvolgente per modernità, per la comprensione [mia] della signora woolf
un insieme di articoli sulle donne, la scrittura e le scrittrici

da leggere

Adrienne
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordpress
Virginia Woolf is an icon of not only women writers but womanhood, the nature and essence of our being. I enjoyed reading her thoughts on other women writers.
Signe
  • Making Waves
  • The Life and Death of Mary Wollstonecraft
  • Stories and Essays of Mina Loy
  • The Story of the Cannibal Woman
  • The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination
  • Virginia Woolf: A Biography
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...
“The extraordinary woman depends on the ordinary woman.” 4 likes