Start by marking “California! (Wagons West, #6)” as Want to Read:
California! (Wagons West, #6)

California! (Wagons West #6)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  540 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The 6th novel in the Wagons West Series. Men answer the siren song of gold. Lonely wives fend off peril while husbands pan for nuggets. Former wagon master Whip Holt joins Sheriff Rick Miller in a relentless search for two brutal murderers.
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 1st 1984 by Domain (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about California!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about California!

Elizabeth
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this whole series but this book struck me a little more than the previous five I've read so far. Perhaps because some of this story was so unexpected (as most of the story lines and happenings could be guessed beforehand) and...jarring. I'm not sure. This whole series has story lines that are kind of predictable but I've grown attached to the characters, old and the new ones that come forward and have decided to follow through 'til the end.
Also, I happen to be actually learning a l
Gene Heinrich
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like falling back into an old comfortable chair, the 6th book in the Wagons West series added new life to the series. Several characters from the other books take center stage in telling mostly about the gold rush years (with California becoming a state). This, so far, has been the darkest of the series - which is why I think I liked it better. Just wish, as I always say, that these books didn't have such "romance novel" covers on them because they are so much more...
Robin
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Several familiar characters are back in this sixth book in the Wagons West series, where the action takes place mostly in San Francisco and the Sacramento Valley during the heydays of the gold rush:

Rick Miller is now the Sheriff in San Francisco, struggling to maintain law and order while on a private vendetta to capture two renegade rapists/murderers after his wife Elisabeta falls victim to them in the opening of the book. While we watched Rick and Elisabeta fall in love in the previous book, t
Virginia Markhart
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Sixth in the series. This one was much better than the last few. I had decided to stop reading them, glad I didn't.

This book finds Lee and Cathy Blake at the Presidio in San Francisco. They have their hands full with all the restless, lawless and hungry miners. Melissa Austin becomes a prostitute in a busy saloon. Heather and Danny Taylor have issues to work out in their marriage. Chet Harris and his mining partner hit it big and become wealthy. Whip Hold visits California from Oregon to try to
Meghan
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Noticed a few typos. The plot was mostly pretty good and it was easy to keep track of the characters. Can be read as a stand-alone or as part of the series. Some liberties were taken with the historical timeline.
Anastacia
Better than Texas.

The characters seem a little better written in this one, but the inconsistencies still drive me crazy, like calling Whip an "old" man when he's only about ten years older then the first book, when he's in his early 20's. He's young enough to have a second child, but yet he's constantly described as feeble and old - yet he can still do miraculous things!
Kandi Tonsager
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life got busy and it took a while longer to finish this one. I absolutely love how some of the original characters still tie in. In the copy I bought this time there wasn't the chapter for the next book in the back :(
Aldafan
Jul 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, history
This one was better than the last one, we got to know the characters better. It upset me when one died! I still read these mostly for the history. Next is Colorado and I want to read it before my trip.
Connie
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like this was the best of the series. Enjoyed all of the story lines. It is so funny how quickly the couples get married.
Cws
Nov 19, 2008 added it
Shelves: western
W Ros
Roger Conroy
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Good writer and historically correct on everything EXCEPT firearms. Ross has people in the California Wagons West book using Colt cartridge revolvers in 1849 which weren't invented until 1873.
Michael Garreffa`
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great Read-Second Time Around
David A. Carey
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!Great read! Probably the best book of the series so far. Book #7 is on order...
Angela
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into this book only ready first few pages.
Barbara
A good look at life in the gold rush years
bert-bobbi
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Read this series back in the 1980s, and now doing as audio books ... narration is very good.
Billye
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent- about the gold discovered in California in 1849. I am reading all the books in this series in order.
Barbara
This series is very interesting - really holds my attention!
Glenn Proffitt
Lyndsy Dautremont
Jan 04, 2017
Jill Black
May 15, 2014
  • Seneca (White Indian, #9)
  • Valley of the Sun
  • The Poacher's Daughter
  • Annapolis
  • Snake River Slaughter (Matt Jensen: The Last Mountain Man, #5)
  • The Imperialists (The Australians, #12)
  • The Bobbsey Twins And The Cedar Camp Mystery
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
Dana Fuller Ross is a pseudonym used by Noel B. Gerson and James M. Reasoner.

Noel Gearson specializes in historical military novels, westerns, and mysteries. He also writes under the pseudonyms, "Dana Fuller Ross.", Anne Marie Burgess; Michael Burgess; Nicholas Gorham; Paul Lewis; Leon Phillips; Donald Clayton Porter; Philip Vail; and Carter A. Vaughan. He has written more than 325 novels.

James R
More about Dana Fuller Ross...

Wagons West (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Independence! (Wagons West, #1)
  • Nebraska! (Wagons West, #2)
  • Wyoming! (Wagons West, #3)
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • Texas! (Wagons West, #5)
  • Colorado! (Wagons West, #7)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • Montana! (Wagons West, #10)
  • Dakota! (Wagons West, #11)