Start by marking “Awaking (The Naturals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awaking  (The Naturals, #1)

Awaking

(The Naturals #1)

Morgan Abbey's life is about to change. Just weeks before the beginning of her senior year, a mysterious stranger approaches Morgan with information that turns her world on end: First, the psychic ability she believes she has just been pretending to have since middle school might actually be real. Second, her mother, who disappeared abruptly and completely almost a decade ...more
Published September 21st 2013 by Createspace (first published August 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Awaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awaking

Start your review of Awaking (The Naturals, #1)
Lissette
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I’ve seen quite a few reviews knocking this book, saying that the action doesn’t really pick up till you’re almost at the very end of this book, I find that this story is quite fast paced and very much intriguing. I didn’t feel it lacking in action. I really didn’t. In all honesty, I think Madeline did a beautiful job in building all of the elements that she’s combined in her books.

Most readers for this book have been adults, so far, so we tend to read things from an adult perspective.
Aurélie
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
More reviews on my blog, Exploring Pages.
"Morgan didn't know what tomorrow would hold, and she found she didn't want to. For the moment, she was safe. Despite the questions racing in her mind, she almost felt peace. And, for now, that would have to be enough."
- Madeline Freeman, Awaking

Honestly, I don't have a clue where to begin. I wanted to like this book much more than I do know, so much more. There was something about it which caught my attention. So maybe it was the outstanding cover, but I
Kayla Edwards
Morgan is just your typical teenage girl. She has issues with the popular girls, she is awkward around guys, and she lets her best friend drag her to parties. But then a strange guy approaches her and claims to know things about her mother - the mother that has been missing since Morgan was seven. He also says that her supposedly fake psychic powers she uses to make a little money might not be as fake as she thought...

I enjoyed the storyline of this book but it felt as though something was missi
Mariela
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I’m really enjoying this book. The story is very different from others I’ve read. I can’t wait to read the next one Morgan has always had a special gift and soon she meets others similar to her. She finds out that her mother may still be alive and her real father is a very famous man who’s got powers beyond Hers. He wants her because she’s the one that’s suppose to bring his people out into the world. But she doesn’t want to hurt anyone. I thought this was going to be a reverse har ...more
Holly
*Review copy kindly provided by Madeline Freeman via NetGalley.
*Review can be found at The Fox's Hideaway.

My Review!
I'm going to admit this, but I totally read this book just because it had an orange cover. I probably would have kept putting it off if I hadn't read it for this challenge. But I'm so glad I did read it! Although I was a little annoyed with the romance and the lack of answers, Awaking had a unique concept that I found intriguing.

It also had a pretty sassy main character, Morgan Abb
Dianne
Unleash your inner teen, the one who accepts all things read without a completely overdone, rational and viable explanation. Awaking by Madeline Freeman knows how to write! She fills her pages with intrigue, an amazing heroine and, oh yes, teen guys. Morgan Abbey is ready to start her senior year at school, but just before this monumental event, her world is twisted inside out by a stranger who says she is the key to a centuries old power struggle of a shadowy group who has coexisted in the huma ...more
☽ lana ☾
"I love that you dumped him over Han Solo."
"Sad, but true," Ris agreed. "The things you do in fifth grade seem so logical at the time..."

I loved the characters in this book. Loved. All but the main character.

Morgan is your average psychic although she downplays her powers as "feelings" she gets. She wasn't all that bad in the beginning of the book, but todays the end when she finds out more of her past/ powers she starts to get down-right whiny.

There is nothing more I hate than a whin
Valery
Mar 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this was a quick read, which is really nice when you need to let go. There wasn't any real meat to the story, just another cliche "teen has undiscovered powers and there are organizations who want to use her to rule the world." But, there was a rather different take on the story, if cliche. The characters are all flat though. There wasn't a single one that stood out, or that I loved.
And why is it that every teen book makes it seem okay to leave with a perfect stranger simply becaus
Ria
Full Review to follow @http://www.abookishescape.com/2014/03...

Awaking was a fun and interesting read I was completely immersed in the story and could not wait to find out what was going to happen next. The first thing that drew me to this series is that GAW-JESS cover!! Wow just look at it! Its all like, mysterious and hiding something truly amazing. The concept of this story is unlike anything else I’ve ever read and now sadly, I’m hooked. My life will not be complete until I see where Morgan(
Demi
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good enough story line but I found a few things irritating. First thing obviously going to be some sort of love triangle *big yawn* at least make it interesting by having a bisexual main character and a boy and girl love rival. The other thing was how stupid the main character was like sure get into a car with a guy you just met with two of his friends you've never met, seems like a good idea! Not! In real life she would be dead I mean obviously not real life but you know! It was ok but sudden ...more
Suzuk1girl
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just could not finish past the first few chapters. I could not fathom getting into a car (no matter how nice it is) with 3 complete strange boys who claim they have "special powers" Morgan? Can we get a main character with a little bit of brains and common sense? Teenage Angst all over this book. No thanks!
Elena Zinonos
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it! the plot is good.. I want for sure to read second book...! Is good book,..
Stacy Sabala
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, romance, suspense
Book Review- Awakening by Madeline Freeman

In the first book of the Natural series, Morgan Abbey lives with her dad and is the local psychic. She and her best friend Ris run a local business with her readings. Things start getting weird when she reads Lia and Corbin. Corbin can read her mind. It freaks them both out until they find out what is really going on. Morgan just found out she is a Natural. The Veneret have been watching her. Kellen informs her that she is the one they have been waiting
Hannah
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the story, hate the typos

Ms. Freeman is a gifted storyteller. I loved the Circle Magic trilogy, and as far as story goes, I loved Awaking. I didn't want to set it down. However, someone needs to go back through and clean up the typos that weren't caught by the person who typed up the final copy; they are numerous, unfortunate, and threw me out of what was otherwise an engaging read. Fix the typos and my rating goes up.
Herman Fassett
Honestly it's been over two weeks since I read it and it has faded back into the rest of books quite similar that I've read... All I remember is I finished it and enjoyed it, but now it's just blended in with all the other books and I can't remember what it's about... Yes I might not have the best memory, but I can remember the really good books.
Virginia Boylan
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, sci-fi
This was an enjoyable story that I wish had more feeling of real teenagers grappling with unreal problems. After being told that Naturals are really rare, they start popping up like weeds and nobody seems very surprised. The mystery of her mother keeps getting dismissed and the Veneret are bland for bad guys. The stakes didn't seem worth much concern.
Heather
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Morgan has ability to read people and do horoscopes. Her mom disappeared when she was seven. At a party she meets person who bring her into light of why she is different and knows about her mom. As her powers grow her friends also get power. There is cliff hanger u gotta read book two to know what happens
Jane Love
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan has been reading fortunes at school for ever her friend Ris makes sure he always has customers, When Morgan reads Corbin's fortune something happens between them then she meet Kellen and her Corbin and Lucas world is turned upside down, they find out they are naturals.
Richard Goodrum
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Witty. Great characters (Morgan, Corbin, and Lucas). Action packed. Scary. Twisted. Easy to read.

Morgan is a powerful, young woman coming to grips with her abilities all the while maintaining her strong moral compass.
Debora
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book!

Nice story line. The suspense and mystery of it made it hard to put down. Just wish it was longer. I don't like being left hanging in the middle of the story. Hope the next one is just as good or better!
Tracy Doig
Good clean story with great characters. Morgan and Ris are best friends. I hope that it stays that way. When Lucas and Corbin join the group they are just starting to figure things out. The bad guys stood out to me and the good guys where hidden. It was a fun story I hope that you enjoy it.
Judith Cornette
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Easy read - connections between characters were easy to understand. Moved quickly. Made me feel excited for the next book
Bridget  Clear
Good start

This book keeps you interested as it fills you with details but does not give all details away. Leaves you wanting more as the next book is all you want to read.
Shelly Spears wilson
Good book

I enjoyed it but wish it was longer. Looks like the next book is a must get. But it today.
Crystalvuletichotmail.com
This series has a lot of potential. I can't wait to see where it goes.
Dana Wood
Underwhelming characters with a story that left me underwhelmed as well.
Venise
Untypical networking, yet very intelligently considerate when realizing the complications at the teens.
Tony Fecteau
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a very quick read. It was a good start to a new series. I would like to see where the author takes these characters and powers to in future books.
Kira Brighton
Oct 25, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-in-giveaway
*Received free e-copy via Book Bub*

Though the prose is fine, the plot is very abrupt and heavy on stereotypes. DNF @ 12%.
Laura Danielle
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. It draws you in and I feel like the rest of the books in the series will bring everything together
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lost Souls (Mending Magic #1)
  • Catacombs (Academy of Ancients #1)
  • The Healer (The Healer, #1)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • Blood and Snow (Blood and Snow #1)
  • Premonition (The Division #1)
  • Bound by Earth (The Nature Hunters Academy, #1)
  • Fading
  • Dragon's Awakening (Heir of Dragons #1)
  • Prodigy (13 Covens, #1)
  • Strays (Werewolf Academy, #1)
  • Frost (Midnight Ice, #1)
  • Witch Forgotten (Witches of Night Meadow #1)
  • Stranger
  • Edge of Magic (Tara Knightley, #1)
  • The Atlantis Girl (The Atlantis Saga #1)
  • From Breath and Ruin (Elements of Five, #1)
  • Rae of Hope (The Chronicles of Kerrigan #1)

The Naturals (3 books)
  • Seeking (The Naturals, #2)
  • Becoming (the Naturals, #3)

News & Interviews

“That’s when she noticed him: Not Corbin Starling—this was a guy she’d never seen before. He leaned casually against the far wall, arms crossed over his chest, looking almost too cool for his surroundings in his close-fitting black T-shirt and dark washed jeans.” 0 likes
“where” 0 likes