Start by marking “Awaking (The Naturals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awaking  (The Naturals, #1)

Awaking

(The Naturals #1)

Morgan Abbey's life is about to change. Just weeks before the beginning of her senior year, a mysterious stranger approaches Morgan with information that turns her world on end: First, the psychic ability she believes she has just been pretending to have since middle school might actually be real. Second, her mother, who disappeared abruptly and completely almost a decade ...more
Published September 21st 2013 by Createspace (first published August 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Awaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awaking

Lissette
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I’ve seen quite a few reviews knocking this book, saying that the action doesn’t really pick up till you’re almost at the very end of this book, I find that this story is quite fast paced and very much intriguing. I didn’t feel it lacking in action. I really didn’t. In all honesty, I think Madeline did a beautiful job in building all of the elements that she’s combined in her books.

Most readers for this book have been adults, so far, so we tend to read things from an adult perspective.
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
More reviews on my blog, Exploring Pages.
"Morgan didn't know what tomorrow would hold, and she found she didn't want to. For the moment, she was safe. Despite the questions racing in her mind, she almost felt peace. And, for now, that would have to be enough."
- Madeline Freeman, Awaking

Honestly, I don't have a clue where to begin. I wanted to like this book much more than I do know, so much more. There was something about it which caught my attention. So maybe it was the outstanding cover, but I
Holly
*Review copy kindly provided by Madeline Freeman via NetGalley.
*Review can be found at The Fox's Hideaway.

My Review!
I'm going to admit this, but I totally read this book just because it had an orange cover. I probably would have kept putting it off if I hadn't read it for this challenge. But I'm so glad I did read it! Although I was a little annoyed with the romance and the lack of answers, Awaking had a unique concept that I found intriguing.

It also had a pretty sassy main character, Morgan Abb
Dianne
Unleash your inner teen, the one who accepts all things read without a completely overdone, rational and viable explanation. Awaking by Madeline Freeman knows how to write! She fills her pages with intrigue, an amazing heroine and, oh yes, teen guys. Morgan Abbey is ready to start her senior year at school, but just before this monumental event, her world is twisted inside out by a stranger who says she is the key to a centuries old power struggle of a shadowy group who has coexisted in the huma ...more
Kayla Edwards
Morgan is just your typical teenage girl. She has issues with the popular girls, she is awkward around guys, and she lets her best friend drag her to parties. But then a strange guy approaches her and claims to know things about her mother - the mother that has been missing since Morgan was seven. He also says that her supposedly fake psychic powers she uses to make a little money might not be as fake as she thought...

I enjoyed the storyline of this book but it felt as though something was missi
Ria
Full Review to follow @http://www.abookishescape.com/2014/03...

Awaking was a fun and interesting read I was completely immersed in the story and could not wait to find out what was going to happen next. The first thing that drew me to this series is that GAW-JESS cover!! Wow just look at it! Its all like, mysterious and hiding something truly amazing. The concept of this story is unlike anything else I’ve ever read and now sadly, I’m hooked. My life will not be complete until I see where Morgan(
Demi
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good enough story line but I found a few things irritating. First thing obviously going to be some sort of love triangle *big yawn* at least make it interesting by having a bisexual main character and a boy and girl love rival. The other thing was how stupid the main character was like sure get into a car with a guy you just met with two of his friends you've never met, seems like a good idea! Not! In real life she would be dead I mean obviously not real life but you know! It was ok but sudden ...more
Elena Zinonos
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it! the plot is good.. I want for sure to read second book...! Is good book,..
Stacy Sabala
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, suspense, romance
Book Review- Awakening by Madeline Freeman

In the first book of the Natural series, Morgan Abbey lives with her dad and is the local psychic. She and her best friend Ris run a local business with her readings. Things start getting weird when she reads Lia and Corbin. Corbin can read her mind. It freaks them both out until they find out what is really going on. Morgan just found out she is a Natural. The Veneret have been watching her. Kellen informs her that she is the one they have been waiting
Valery
Mar 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this was a quick read, which is really nice when you need to let go. There wasn't any real meat to the story, just another cliche "teen has undiscovered powers and there are organizations who want to use her to rule the world." But, there was a rather different take on the story, if cliche. The characters are all flat though. There wasn't a single one that stood out, or that I loved.
And why is it that every teen book makes it seem okay to leave with a perfect stranger simply becaus
Hannah
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the story, hate the typos

Ms. Freeman is a gifted storyteller. I loved the Circle Magic trilogy, and as far as story goes, I loved Awaking. I didn't want to set it down. However, someone needs to go back through and clean up the typos that weren't caught by the person who typed up the final copy; they are numerous, unfortunate, and threw me out of what was otherwise an engaging read. Fix the typos and my rating goes up.
Virginia Lee Boylan
This was an enjoyable story that I wish had more feeling of real teenagers grappling with unreal problems. After being told that Naturals are really rare, they start popping up like weeds and nobody seems very surprised. The mystery of her mother keeps getting dismissed and the Veneret are bland for bad guys. The stakes didn't seem worth much concern.
Herman Fassett
Honestly it's been over two weeks since I read it and it has faded back into the rest of books quite similar that I've read... All I remember is I finished it and enjoyed it, but now it's just blended in with all the other books and I can't remember what it's about... Yes I might not have the best memory, but I can remember the really good books.
Debora
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book!

Nice story line. The suspense and mystery of it made it hard to put down. Just wish it was longer. I don't like being left hanging in the middle of the story. Hope the next one is just as good or better!
Richard Goodrum
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Witty. Great characters (Morgan, Corbin, and Lucas). Action packed. Scary. Twisted. Easy to read.

Morgan is a powerful, young woman coming to grips with her abilities all the while maintaining her strong moral compass.
Jane Love
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan has been reading fortunes at school for ever her friend Ris makes sure he always has customers, When Morgan reads Corbin's fortune something happens between them then she meet Kellen and her Corbin and Lucas world is turned upside down, they find out they are naturals.
Lady Entropy
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF
Judith Cornette
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Easy read - connections between characters were easy to understand. Moved quickly. Made me feel excited for the next book
Bridget Bradway
Good start

This book keeps you interested as it fills you with details but does not give all details away. Leaves you wanting more as the next book is all you want to read.
Shelly Spears wilson
Good book

I enjoyed it but wish it was longer. Looks like the next book is a must get. But it today.
Laura Danielle Sawyer
This book was amazing. It draws you in and I feel like the rest of the books in the series will bring everything together
Sarah Gonzalez

Awaking was my first look at Madeline Freeman’s work and it definitely holds at great deal of potential. The idea of the characters is interesting and the plotline is intriguing. That being said, I did find some faults with the book and found it a bit difficult to get through.

Before I dive into the negatives, I would like to talk about what I did enjoy about Awaking. In a world full of young adult paranormal romance/urban fantasies, Freeman brings a new and original concept to the table. You won
☽ lana ☾
"I love that you dumped him over Han Solo."
"Sad, but true," Ris agreed. "The things you do in fifth grade seem so logical at the time..."

I loved the characters in this book. Loved. All but the main character.

Morgan is your average psychic although she downplays her powers as "feelings" she gets. She wasn't all that bad in the beginning of the book, but todays the end when she finds out more of her past/ powers she starts to get down-right whiny.

There is nothing more I hate than a whin
Heather A
I won a copy through a librarything.com member give away.

The basic plot of the novel was interesting, a regular girl, Morgan, discovers she is the Chosen One of a secret race of people with special abilities called the Veneret. While the idea was a good one....I found the story to be rather flat. Too much telling and not showing, and....it just didn't work for me.

There was a standard cast of high school characters, the funky best friend, the queen bee and her minions, the popular gorgeous jock
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Morgan Abbey has no control over her life or it would seem so. Her life is suddenly all about changes and these changes are not always for the better and sometimes downright weird. She had been okay raising herself, almost, ever since her mother disappeared over a decade back, but finding out that she had ‘powers’ was something even she hadn’t bargained for. And to find out that he mother may be alive and that she is crucial in a war that has been going on for centuries is over-the-top for a tee ...more
Mad about
First time i've read something from this author and it does show promise with a unique and compelling set of characters and the mysterious world they live in. It's a 3* for me but a solid one as I did enjoy it but it needed that extra something to really get me excited for what comes next.

Morgan is a little bit of a teenage rebel with a select group of friends and she really doesn't care what others think as nothing she could have done could have changed their perceptions of her once her mother
Stephanie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Morgan Abbey is not one of the popular girls at school, especially since her mom disappeared ten years ago and her father was suspected for foul play; however she is the resident psychic. She has always had the uncanny ability to see bits and pieces into others lives. When Morgan unexpectedly meets Kellen at a party, she learns that her life is about to change. Morgan's abilities are just an uncanny feeling, she is a Veneret, a race with special abilities. Her powers have seemed to awaken the po ...more
Heather Wood
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awaking was a quick and easy read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I liked the main characters and found the secondary characters all well developed. It was a solid series starter with an introduction to the supernatural world that the author created.

I found all the characters interesting with my favorites being Morgan and Corbin. Morgan was a good main character and I was happy to find her accept her place among the Naturals fairly quickly. Corbin was a sweetheart and I’m hoping he turns out to be Mo
Carrie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, calibre-library
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a really solid start to a series! The setup of this unique world was completely engaging and had me hooked from the first page. This group of characters was fun and interesting, and the paranormal elements were new and exciting.

Morgan is the star of this particular novel. Always a bit of a “freak” for having the ability to tell people’s futures, she falls in with her own little group of misfits. Ris (aka Clare) is her BFF
christine danielle (Bibliophilic Madness)
FOR MORE REVIEWS AND GIVEAWAYS, DO CHECJK OUT MY BLOG:
 photo bun3_zpsa210610d.jpg

Awaking

Cover: 4
Plot: 4
Characters: 4

Overall Rating: 4

photo bun2_zps0ef512fa.jpg

Unexpectedly good! I loved how the plot was made where you constantly doubt who's really the good guys and who's really the bad guys.

Since seeing that it was just the first book, I felt that the pacing of the book was perfect and not too slow.

Morgan's life was normal as normal could be applied to her life. But when certain powers arise from her she knows normal can never be applied to her
  • Keeper, part 1 (Hidden Bloodlines #1)
  • 2:20 (Timeless Trilogy, #1)
  • Dissever (Unbinding Fate, #1)
  • Poisoned (Snow White, #1)
  • Hell's Belles: Book One (Hell's Belles, #1)
  • Magic Unbound (Fae Unbound #1)
  • Foreseen (Rothston, #1)
  • The Shell Collector
  • Chameleon: The Awakening (Book 1 of The Forest People)
  • The Dream Slayer (The Dream Slayer, #1)
  • The Song and the Sorceress
  • Quests of Shadowind: Sky Shifter (Young Adult Series - Book 1)
  • Celestra: Books 1-3 (Celestra, #1-3)
  • The Day Of The Wave
  • Skin (The Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Deceit (Dark #1)
  • War-Bringer (Twinborn Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Born of Water (The Rise of the Fifth Order, #1)

The Naturals (3 books)
  • Seeking (The Naturals, #2)
  • Becoming (the Naturals, #3)
“That’s when she noticed him: Not Corbin Starling—this was a guy she’d never seen before. He leaned casually against the far wall, arms crossed over his chest, looking almost too cool for his surroundings in his close-fitting black T-shirt and dark washed jeans.” 0 likes
“where” 0 likes