Start by marking “The Silence of the Lambs” as Want to Read:

THE GO-BETWEEN
A YOUNG FBI TRAINEE WHO MUST DEAL WITH ONE TO STOP THE OTHER
--back cover
Paperback, Movie Tie-In Edition (UK/AUST/NZ), 352 pages
Published 1991 by Mandarin (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of the Lambs, please sign up.
Tim It isn't strictly required to understand and enjoy this, but here's my advice: If the reason you want to read Silence of the Lambs first is you plan t…moreIt isn't strictly required to understand and enjoy this, but here's my advice: If the reason you want to read Silence of the Lambs first is you plan to skip Red Dragon, don't. Silence of the Lambs does a few things better and is more refined, but Red Dragon is more raw, and all the more interesting for it. They're both roughly on par in terms of pure enjoyment, I liked Red Dragon maybe slightly more but then again there's a reason Silence of the Lambs is more famous, it's more mainstream. So I definitely recommend reading both. You sound like you plan to read both. If that's the case, read Red Dragon first. That way you'll already know a little bit about Hannibal and be accustomed to Harris's slightly unusual but enjoyable style.
So no, I'd never really recommend reading Silence of the Lambs first.(less)
Karl -- Most of the lambs I have encountered are quite noisy and have nothing but baaaad things to discuss. I found the silent ones refreshing. aLso Lamb i…more-- Most of the lambs I have encountered are quite noisy and have nothing but baaaad things to discuss. I found the silent ones refreshing. aLso Lamb is tasty with a good Chianti and a side of fava beans when cooked properly. -- (less)

·  466,760 ratings  ·  5,984 reviews

Start your review of The Silence of the Lambs
Mort
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Why?
Many years from now, historians will look back on this story and wonder why it was so important. And believe me, my friends, important it was. Today, most thrillers and police procedurals gets measured against it.
For this review, I will refer to TSOTL as the story, because I'm going to talk about the book, movie, facts, fiction and some of my own opinions.

TSOTL was the second Dr. Hannibal Lector story. It was also the second movie adaptation - wait just a damn moment, you might be saying to
Ahmad Sharabiani
‎The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter #2), Thomas Harris

The Silence of the Lambs is a novel by Thomas Harris. First published in 1988, it is the sequel to Harris' 1981 novel Red Dragon. Both novels feature the cannibalistic serial killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter, this time pitted against FBI Special Agent Clarice Starling. Its film adaptation directed by Jonathan Demme was released in 1991 to box office success and critical acclaim.

Clarice Starling, a young FBI trainee, is asked to carry out an
Chelsea Humphrey
3.5 STARS

"Be very careful with Hannibal Lector. Dr. Chilton, the head of the mental hospital, will go over the physical procedure you use to deal with him. Don't deviate from it. Do not deviate from it one iota for any reason... We both know you have to back-and-forth a little in interviews, but you tell him no specifics about yourself. You don't want any of your personal facts in his head."

description

Bet you thought I was never going to write this review, huh? ;) Well, it turns out I just needed a good lo
Kat
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
an odd case in which the book is not better than the movie. in fact, it is much worse.
Stephen
CONTENT ANNOUNCEMENT: Out of respect for Thomas Harris’s superb novel, I have decided that no pictures of ANTHONY HOPKINS will appear in this review. Thank you for your understanding.

4.0 to 4.5 stars. Another one of those terrific situations where I saw the movie first (and loved it) and then eventually decided to read the book... and loved it too. Score!!! Now assuming that most people not suffering from the after-effects of severe head trauma know the basic plot concerning FBI trainee “Hello..
Martine
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Call me a freak, but I have a bit of a crush on Hannibal Lecter. He may be the scariest fuck out there (certainly scarier than the supposed monster of the book, Buffalo Bill), but he just oozes style and knowledge. In fact, he has so much style and knowledge that he doesn't come off as a ridiculous prick when he says things like, 'A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone'* or 'Can you smell his sweat? That peculiar goatish odour is trans-3- ...more
daph pink  君は

I have a love hate sort of relationship with this book! !
At times I marvel at the intelligence and wittiness of Hannibal and other times I can't get my mind past through the things like trans phobia, body shaming , status of women which is highly exploited in this book! I didn't liked the movie at all because of all those details they missed and to be honest we can't review this book without the honorable mention of movie!

We will start with what I don't like then moving on with what I like so th
RedemptionDenied
4.5★

Loved the movie. Loved the book. The Kindle edition is slightly, tainted, with numbers, sporadically-interweaved into the text - which I assume, judging by the percentage I was currently on (when the numbers appeared) - is the actual page number. No biggie. Just a bit jarring, as my edition of the novel had location numbering at the bottom. Don't know why they do that - but, whatever.

I'm impressed by how close the movie is to the source material, just like Manhunter was to the Red Dragon bo
Ginger
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, buddy-read
5 STARS!! Full review up.
This was fantastic!!

I went into The Silence of the Lambs hesitant that this book would not be as great as the movie, OR I wouldn't be able to get the movie characters out of my head.
You see, I’ve seen The Silence of the Lambs 3 to 4 times in my life and I know the plot too well. I've loved the movie since the first time I watched it!
The movie came out in 1991 but I didn't watch it until I was 17, in 1995. I'm glad I waited because the nightmares would have sucked at age
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series

So, I read these books out of order. I started with Hannibal (which gives better background and fleshes out the character of Lecter much more than the mess that was Hannibal Rising), then read Red Dragon and finally this one. Can I just say that I love Clarice Starling? I just have such a deep respect and admiration for her (also, Jodie why didn't you come back for the sequel?? I mean, Moore was great but I don't like a break in continuity, nor do I like how they changed the ending of Hannibal w
Alejandro
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books and film too!

This is the second novel in the "Hannibal Lecter" book series.

GAME CHANGER

Back then, in 1991, I didn't know that Silence of the Lambs had been first a book, and even less that it was actually the second book in the literary series, but...

...I knew that the film adaptation became, in an instant, one of my all-time favorite films. A game changer indeed that swept away with the 5 most respected awards by the Academy (best film, best script, best directo
Joe Valdez
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Editor's Note: I'm reposting this review because my original posted on May 9 has been infested with fake "likes." Some of you have also accumulated suspicious follows and likes beginning in late April. These are accounts created in April, May or June 2019 and feature western user names, "China" as the location, 0 friends, 0 books (or close to 0) and no profile photo.

Goodreads has notified me that these are "real people." Thanks for nothing, Goodreads. I've blocked hundreds of these accounts and
Jess☺️
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Silence Of The Lambs by Thomas Harris is book 2 of the Hannibal Lector series this time with another twisted psychopath Buffalo Bill and let's not forget Dr Chilton (he's just as bad as these two 😒)
This book is more disturbing than the first,moths and skin suit is all that needs to be said.😬
It doesn't matter how many times you've seen this film this book is always going to be 10X better it gives you that nervous anticipation feeling whilst your hanging off the edge of your seat screaming 'co
Fabian {Councillor}
“I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

(Or, "a big amarone" as in the novel.)
Thomas Harris's story of "The Silence of the Lambs" has always been a fascinating one for me, and I believe wholeheartedly that this is one of the most unique, most fascinating and most enthralling crime novels ever written (and rarely has any mystery/thriller been adapted to film so successfully). The 1991 film is one of my favorite films of all time, even though much of the praise must belong t
Rahul Matthew
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Not many books to movie adaptations do justice, but this is definitely how you go about it.Love the slow build up of characters and although saw movie first. I am just going slow as I marvel at a well-written book.When a book asks you to take your time, you are absolutely thrilled. Not many books can command that kind of respect.The book is daring me to read another book, it quite confident that I will come back and remember it!!!
Alright so I finished the thriller and it just made me so happy.No
Kerri
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I loved this just as much as the first. I did miss Will though, as I thought I would. But Clarice is awesome too. I wont mention much. If possible, go in without knowing too much. There is a serial killer. Can Dr. Hannibal Lecter help them find him? Actually, will he? He can, but most likely wont. It's all a way for him to entertain himself. He certainly doesn't care about the victims, young women being killed and skinned then dumped in rivers. He seems willing to talk a little with Clarice ...more
J. Kent Messum
Unquestionably one of the best books ever written in the thriller genre. I'd call this required reading for anyone who enjoys, or wishes to write, popular fiction. I'm incredibly hesitant to call anything contemporary a "modern day masterpiece", but there are a handful of exceptions, and this offering from Thomas Harris is undoubtedly one of them.

'The Silence Of The Lambs' is one of the novels I teach in my ‘Writing Popular Fiction’ course at the University of Toronto, and for good reason: Well
Madeline
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s a very good reason that this is the Hannibal Lecter novel that put Thomas Harris on the map. Red Dragon was good. The Silence of the Lambs is better. Harris takes everything he did well in the previous novel and fine-tunes it – we have a better killer, a more dramatic race against time, a more compelling protagonist, and of course, much more time with dear Dr. Lecter, who finally gets to take center stage after being little more than a cameo in Red Dragon. Unlike Francis Dolarhryde, Thom ...more
Edward Lorn
Retro review time!

Loved the movie, so I read the book. Liked the book enough to look into other Thomas Harris books. Read Red Dragon. Fucking loved it. And then it was all downhill after that. Hannibal was okay. Never read Hannibal Rising, and it still holds zero draw for me.

What I remember the most about Silence of the Lambs is Clarice catching some spunk to the eye. That, above all else, is my most striking memory from this book. What's worse than a surprise money shot? A surprise money shot f
Sam Quixote
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer called Buffalo Bill is abducting and skinning young women. When his latest victim turns out to be the daughter of a US Senator, the pressure’s on for the authorities to find her as there’s mere days until she’ll be killed. As a desperate last measure, FBI agent-in-training Clarice Starling is sent to speak with the one man who could lead them to Buffalo Bill in time to save the girl: the imprisoned serial killer Dr. Hannibal “The Cannibal” Lecter…

I don’t know why I waited so lon
Lou
Photobucket
I need to get round reading this, whats put me off is that the movie has been played on the TV so many times now Clarice and Lecter are quite vivid in my mind. I am sure the book has lot more to offer as Harris is one of my high ranking thriller writers.
Some trivia on the movie...
Like "Casablanca", this movie contains a famous misquoted line: most people quote Lecter's famous "Good evening, Clarice" as "Hello, Clarice." This is not a misquote from the first movie but an actual quote from the
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

What more is there to say about this wonderful book that spawned an amazing movie?

Hannibal Lecter is the absolute monster: ruthless, above morals, and charming at the same time. The way he acts, the way he talks, he truly is a predator. He traps you in his web and there's nothing you can do about it.
He's not beautiful, mind you. No body perfection, no sparkling in the sun, yet he's irresistible.

F
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seen-movie, usa, 2019
Loved
Lightreads
Dec 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, horror
I'm assuming this book was once shocking and groundbreaking. And okay, yes, eww with the eating people and the skinning. But also? Shut the fuck up, Thomas Harris. There are few things more obnoxious than a male author with a hard-on for his female protagonist. Worth reading for Hannibal the Cannibal, because I dig that abnormal psychology stuff, but did I mention the objectification? The sexism? The way the reader is never allowed to forget
about gender? How every male she meets falls for the he
Tristan
“I collect church collapses, recreationally. Did you see the recent one in Sicily? Marvelous! The facade fell on sixty-five grandmothers at a special mass. Was that evil? If so, who did it? If he's up there, he just loves it, Officer Starling. Typhoid and swans - it all comes from the same place."
- Hannibal Lecter

There always lies a certain degree of tragedy in reading the source material after having seen (multiple times) its expertly executed film adaptation. Besides the revelation of the plot
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Another re-read of Silence of the Lambs, this time my favorite. Maybe it's because I'm more into the story and read them in the order of sequence and not popularity, I'm not sure, but this time around I found it even more fascinating than the first meet.

Clarice is a likeable character. Her background melding with who she wants to be is an admirable one. She's given the chance of a lifetime, handed out by a man she admires, to step her foot firmly into the FBI. Without meaning to, she's sucked in
Manny
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Click the above image to check out the lamb-related commercial that's ignited a worldwide firestorm of controversy. Poles, Danes and vegans are just three of the most outraged groups. Don't miss YOUR chance to post a few angry tweets and maybe sign an online petition complaining about those insensitive, inappropriate, politically incorrect Australians!
Helga
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, crime
This book was creepy and disconcerting to say the least. And more disturbing is the fact that i like Hannibal Lecter. Is it because he was portrayed by the brilliant Anthony Hopkins in the movie? I sure hope so!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'Be very careful with Hannibal Lecter. Dr Chilton, the head of the mental hospital, will go over the physical procedure you use to deal with him. Don't deviate from it. Do not deviate from it one iota for any reason. If Lecter talks to you at all, he'll just be trying to find out about you. It's the kind of curiosity that makes a snake look in a bird's nest. We both know you have to back-and-forth a little in interviews, but you tell him no specifics about yourself. You don’t want any o ...more
সালমান হক
This is the 4th time I am finishing this one.Though life is too short for rereads, I think I'll never get bored of reading this one :) Happy hunting... sorry, reading.

• The Shining
  • It
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Exorcist
  • Misery
  • The Firm
  • Before I Go to Sleep
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • The Zombie Room
  • The Pelican Brief
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Carrie
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
  • The Girl on the Train
  • The Client
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Risin

Hannibal Lecter (4 books)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)

Articles featuring this book

For as long as people have been telling stories, we’ve spun tales of the monsters and nightmares that lurk in the shadows of our imaginations....
“When the Fox hears the Rabbit scream he comes a-runnin', but not to help.” 493 likes
“Nothing made me happen. I happened.” 327 likes