Start by marking “Pain: The Science of Suffering” as Want to Read:
Pain: The Science of Suffering

Pain: The Science of Suffering

Pain is one of medicine's greatest mysteries. When farmer John Mitson caught his hand in a baler, he cut off his trapped hand and carried it to a neighbor. "Sheer survival and logic" was how he described it. "And strangely, I didn't feel any pain." How can this be? We're taught that pain is a warning message to be heeded at all costs, yet it can switch off in the most ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Columbia University Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pain

Start your review of Pain: The Science of Suffering
Petal X Planet
When I was about 7.5 months pregnant I went back to the UK. I went to see about breathing techniques in labour. The (very rude) lady told me I was too late for the classes and anyway I'd been been breathing since birth so I didn't need to learn it. I asked what she taught. She said distraction techniques. Concentrate on breathing and believe it will take the pain away. She said it worked better if you involved your husband, if you have one. (I told you she was rude).

Skip to * if you want to
Mari
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is not a self-help or pain healing book, and as there are so many of those, this book sets itself apart by looking closely at the causes and consequences of pain. It deals with questions like, how does the time lapse (if any) between injury and onset of pain, play into how the body deals with the pain? Wall delves into endorphin response, the placebo effect, shame and embarassment. He also looks at how pain is handled emotionally and physically, internally and externally - between pain ...more
Kelly
Sep 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Pain: The Science of Suffering is the complete title of this book. Written by a physician, but easily digestible by the layperson. Comprehensive and enlightening. (Charlotte, I want this back!)

addendum: Fixed title (it's good to be a librarian!) AND happily welcomed the return of this book by the kind Charlotte, who put it in the mail for me (something I myself am terrible at doing - the lines at these NYC post offices are off-puttingly horrific!). Thanks, friend.
Michele
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Downloaded this as a reference for a research paper I was doing on Phantom Limb Pain and ended up being fascinated with it and couldn't put it down. Read the whole book and was impressed.
David Fore
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're anything like me, you've been looking for a book about the phenomenology, physiology, psychology, and treatment of pain, one written by a medical doctor and researcher who has personal insight into the nature of pain and suffering. "Pain: The Science of Suffering", by Patrick Wall, is such a book. It's a thorough, intelligent, low-key, and compassionate take on the state of pain management in our society.

Wall is decidedly *not* a purveyor of get-pain-free-quick schemes, nor is he the
Sehar  Moughal
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew this would be an interesting book to read and I’m not disappointed. Apart from one chapter that provides in-depth physiology of pain, a layman can easily enjoy and understand the rest of the book without much fundamental/prior knowledge.
Alberto
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting book, bit focused on the medical aspect of pain. For medicine professionals mostly.
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
A bit to hard for my little brain I think. Interesting but a bit heavy going.
Shannon
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pain research is where it's at right now! I'm going to try to take a class on chronic pain next semester, this book is GREAT. He developed the spindles theory which fascinates me to no end.
Charlotte
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Charlotte by: Kelly?
This book needed to be cut some, but was really interesting.
Darnell
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Most of what's there is good, but it's surprisingly short and a decent chunk of it is a review of high school anatomy.
Dan Milton
May 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Survival of the Sickest: A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease
  • The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders
  • 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot
  • The Meaning of Pain: What it is, why we feel it, and how to overcome it
  • The Seven Levels of Intimacy: The Art of Loving and the Joy of Being Loved
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Sookie Stackhouse, #13.5)
  • Born of Legend (The League: Nemesis Rising #9)
  • The Hellion and the Highlander (Devil of the Highlands, #3)
  • Midnight in Austenland (Austenland, #2)
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
  • Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)
  • Even Tree Nymphs Get the Blues (Mystic Bayou, #2.5)
  • Born of Ice (The League: Nemesis Rising #3, The League: Nemesis Legacy #2)
  • The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design
  • Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4)
  • Falling for the Highlander (Highland Brides, #4)
  • Austenland (Austenland, #1)
“Pain is always accompanied by emotion and meaning so that each pain is unique to the individual. The word pain is used to group together a class of combined sensory-emotional events. The class contains many different types of pain, each of which is a personal, unique experience for the person who suffers.” 1 likes
“As with the other conditions described, the natural history of local tissue damage spreads its effect, including pain, to nearby and distant structures by a linked series of separate mechanisms. This is nowhere more clear than in osteoarthritis, in which the disorder starts locally in a joint but spreads to nearby tissue while the nervous system, attempting to immobilize the joint, generates an abnormal gait and posture, which in turn stresses other joints.” 1 likes