Start by marking “Crossing the Divide” as Want to Read:
Crossing the Divide

Crossing the Divide

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  18 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Over the last two decades, traditional formulations of the idea of atonement have come under heavy attack from feminist theologians and others. They argue that the traditional view valorizes suffering and encourages people to acquiesce in needless self-sacrificing, that it is unseemly to think of God as demanding suffering of his son, and that the theology of the cross nee ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Fortress Press

To ask other readers questions about Crossing the Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing the Divide

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Crossing the Divide
Robert D. Cornwall
I became a fan of the work of theologian Deanna Thompson after reading her wonderful theological commentary on Deuteronomy. I h ave since had the opportunity to get to know Deanna as a friend. This is the third book of hers that I've read, and I must say it is quite good.

In this book she offers us a feminist theology of the cross in conversation with both feminist theologians and Martin Luther. At a time when the cross has become a scandal for many progressive Christians, but most especially fe
India
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. She analyzes Luther's theology of the cross through a feminist lense. Something that was especially meaningful for me was her assessment of victim/oppressor. She acknowledges that this is something that we all share, sometimes we can be victim, sometimes oppressor. We never fully embody one or the other. She says that anytime any of us is the oppressor we are victimizing Christ.

She also argues that for use of the word friend in relation to others rather than servant or oth
Neil White
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent constructive dialogue between Martin Luther's Theology of the Cross and recent feminist perspectives. Deanna Thompson does an excellent job explaining Luther's theology, particularly the role of experience in the theology of Luther and then uses this to engage our time through a feminist lens. An excellent example of constructive theology.
Roxanne