Start by marking “Pieces of Olivia (Charleston Haven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pieces of Olivia (Charleston Haven, #1)

Pieces of Olivia

(Charleston Haven #1)

Olivia Warren used to be a normal girl with a bright future.
But on one fated night, everything changed.

Hiding the scars of her past up her sleeves, Olivia transfers her enrollment from Columbia University to The College of Charleston, determined to pursue her own dreams for the first time in her life.

She intends to allow herself a bit of alone time to heal... that is, unt
Published July 15th 2014 by Penguin/InterMix Books

To ask other readers questions about Pieces of Olivia, please sign up.
Kat
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Patrycja

DNF @ 48%

I tried. I really did, but after reaching 48% and finding myself so bored I almost fell asleep with an ereader on my face, I decided it's just not worth my time. There are too many books for me to fall in love with to waste my precious reading time on BORING CLICHES.
Melissa West
Nov 18, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
For book updates, giveaways, sneak peeks at upcoming books, and general awesomeness, join my newsletter here!

This book is near and dear to my heart. It is set in Charleston, SC, is full of an eclectic mix of characters (including a smoking therapist, who loves blueberry ice-cream), and is deeply emotional. It is unlike anything I have written, yet still holds true to my style. In short, I love it, and I hope you will, too!

3-13-14: Check out an excerpt of the book and enter to win a copy! Click
Second chances
Love
Forgiveness
Peace

Take the journey with Olivia as she starts a new school year at a new college, makes new friends and finds love. All of this while she grieves the loss of her dearest friends, finds a way to cope and tries to stay up to par on her classes.

During this journey Olivia will reveal pieces of her pain, while secrets maybe her undoing.

What I Liked:
1. Rose and her unconventional ways
2. Kara & Olivia's friendship
3. Christmas break
Rose
Initial reaction: It was a decently written narrative, and the strength of the characters apart from some of the cliches were what made this stand out to me. But it still had issues to me that I didn't really care that much for.

Full review:

For my first read from Melissa West, this actually was a decent narrative when I juxtapose it with about 90% of what New Adult offers up, and it surprised me. The characterizations in this are memorable and vivid, the college environment is set up very well (i
Danielle (Love at First Page)
2-2.5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Pieces of Olivia is a book I’ve wanted to read ever since learning the guy’s name is Preston (so cute, right?) and he calls the main character “Small Town” (I have a soft spot for nicknames). Unsurprisingly, he’s my favorite part of the book – a total sweetheart and a charming flirt. Everything else, well, was okay, but nothing particularly memorable. And there's one thing I found very icky,
Claire Robinson
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
3 - "I never met a crease that time couldn't iron out." Stars.

Pieces of Olivia, is one of those books that I didn’t love, but I didn’t hate it either. The story had great potential, but it didn’t quite hit the mark with regards to me giving it a higher star rating.

Olivia has moved to the College of Charleston, to make a fresh start and too try and leave the ghosts of her past behind. Scarred physically and mentally, she struggles daily to try and live a normal life and not allow her grief consum
Erin Arkin
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This book is a perfect example of why I continue to come back to the New Adult genre. It has complex characters and a story that wouldn't allow me to put the book down until I finished. Preston is extra swoony...which everyone should know I love.

I loved everything about this story and absolutely look forward to the next book in the series. Definitely check this one out when you get a chance!

Full review to come closer to release date - for now I leave you with this because it pretty m
Megan Erickson
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-new-adult
PIECES OF OLIVIA is a story full of heart. We meet Olivia, a college student dealing with a load of grief and guilt, and I began rooting for her right away to find a way to cope.

I love how Ms. West dealt with the benefit of therapy and the therapist was a really cool, quirky character.

And Preston, the hero, is a guy that had me swooning. I loved the banter between Olivia and Preston and I loved both of their growth by the end of the book. To me, that's the heart of New Adult, about finding who w
CeCe
I think for the first time in a long time I did not want the heroine and hero to end up together. It was not that I did not feel their connection, I did. Just the omission of information bothered me and days after reading this, it still bothers me. I wish I could say more without giving anything away. I liked this story a lot from the beginning and then I felt it failed on me. I questioned “why did it have to go there?” I just wanted it to be a sweet romance and it was but there are certain thin ...more
Aestas Book Blog
Jun 06, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
Upcoming standalone New Adult romance!

Olivia Warren used to be a normal girl with a bright future.
But on one fated night, everything changed.

She intends to allow herself a bit of alone time to heal... that is, until she meets Preston.

Preston is best friends with her roommate, completely hot, and o
Christina
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me completely enthralled.

From Olivia's past peeled away in heartbreaking layers, the cast of quirky characters (loved the role of her unconventional therapist), to the delicious and raw tension between Olivia and Preston that had my stomach swooping throughout the entire read!!!

The writing was so lovely and the ending completely satisfying. Cannot wait for the next installment from this author.
Rachel Harris
Intense, emotional, and endearing, PIECES OF OLIVIA transported me back to college. With a heroine equal parts flawed and delightfully witty, this book had me captivated from page one. I cheered for her healing, rooted for her romance, and rode the roller coaster of emotion as Olivia fought her demons and won. Preston, a book boyfriend sure to steal everyone's hearts, gave me delicious butterflies, and Olivia challenged me to think. To Feel. And to believe in second chances. Gorgeous!
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

First things first- Preston is mine. I am not willing to share. Now that we have that out of the way I can gush review Pieces of Olivia properly. This book was so so good. It is everything that is good about the new adult genre. I’m not going to lie; I was full of feels when I finished this one.

Olivia shattered my heart. I loved this girl and I wanted to reach inside the book and hug her. I cannot even fathom living with what she is living with. I
Vangelina
My reaction after reading this jewel: Holy Shucks, Super Maple Fudge.

And that's an understatement. I was able to request this book off of NetGalley. And usually when I do that the books I'm granted are "eh" and so I was expecting the same with this one. THANK THE LORD I took a chance and requested this book.

As soon as I read the first few lines I was hooked. From the start, I felt every emotion and was connected to a character that I had just meet, and I knew I was in for a ride.

First off let m
Valerie
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A lot of New Adult books follow a pattern, the same pattern. But those years right after high school and into adulthood do not follow the same patter for everyone. Indeed, common patterns are the exception rather than the rule these days. So it's nice to find one that breaks the New Adult mode in a really powerful way like Pieces of Olivia does.

This story is about a girl who has faced a devastating lose. She's not living but surviving. Everyone is worrying about her. She's pushing away from thin
Amy
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Pieces of Olivia is refreshing, emotional and captivating! Pieces of Olivia follows the story of Olivia Warren. She led a normal life and had an amazing and bright future until one night. That one night forever changed her. Now, she's not only hiding the scars on her body, but also the emotional ones...Then she meets Preston, her roommates best friend. The chemistry between the two of them is undeniable and with every moment that they spend together, their feelings grow.
❤️Melanie
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
****4.5 Stars****

Wow what a beautiful story.

Olivia is a broken girl running from her past while trying to deal with the guilt, fear and loneliness. She is starting fresh in a new place, with a new roommate and a new attitude.

Preston is a carefree, loving, loyal friend and a no strings attached kind of guy. He is taken by Olivia and her no nonsense attitude. She is not falling all over Preston like other girls.

Kara is Olivia’s new roommate with her own secrets. She is the bubbly, happy go lucky t
Sade
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in a single sitting, meaning I'm probably going to be awfully cranky in my morning meeting seeing that it is now currently 1:30am. But I couldn't put it down. Melissa West did an amazing job creating four awesome main characters. She did a great job of depicting PTSD and survivor's guilt; and for once I actually enjoyed a fictional therapist. I loved the gradually progression of Olivia and Preston's journey. I can't even count all the emotions this book evoked, but I can tel ...more
Cindi
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about dealing with the past, learning to let go, figuring out who you are, and finding love in both friendships and romantic relationships. The characters were real, and people I'd want to be friends with. I loved discovering every single piece of Pieces of Olivia.
Tessa Lillie
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If I have ever said in a review I would never be able to get over a certain book/overcome a book hangover/love another book again after that certain one — scratch that all. Because after finishing Pieces of Olivia I realized that all those words are all so untrue. I have NEVER been as stoked as I am now because Melissa West has created such a captivating story and I seriously cannot think of another NA book that has torn me so emotionally apart the way Pieces of Olivia has. This book is just fre ...more
Jessica
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, new-adult
Wow. My emotions are all over the place from reading this one. My heart just ached for these characters and what they have gone through. That's all I can say to avoid being spoilery.

But before I go? That sexual tension? Hoo, boy. The build up alone nearly killed me!

Full Review:

Being a huge fan of Melissa's YA sci-fi series, I was PSYCHED to see that she was writing New Adult Contemporary! I already knew I loved her writing and good Lord above the woman knows how to bring the swoon. While this i
Lindy
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review
My Thoughts:

I was very excited when I heard that Melissa West would be writing a New Adult, Contemporary Romance. I have read her Young Adult Paranormal story, Gravity, and really enjoyed it! Therefore, I came in to reading, Pieces of Olivia, with high hopes.

In this story, we get Olivia and Preston's love story told from Olivia's viewpoint. Olivia comes from a wealthy, prominent, and highly educated family. Her two older sisters went to college at Harvard and Yale. Olivia was expected to attend
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review and more can be found at The Book Bratz

I won't lie. Going into this book I was nervous. I don't read contemporary fiction much. Actually I never do. I usual need a book with a fantasy or sci-fi aspect to keep my interest. But Pieces of Olivia was different. I was hooked with in the first few chapters, and by hooked I mean: I abandoned all my responsibilities to read.

Olivia, how my heart broke for her when she would talk about the night of the party, the one where she ended up scared
Ceres95
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is amazing, Olivia is a beautiful character and Preston is just so perfect.

complete review to come.

Complete Review :

Olivia is starting a new life in a new college, not Colombia like her father wants but in Charleston. She lives in a dorm with Kara her new roommate. She’s running away from her past. Her roommate best friend is Preston Riggs and the man is so hot.

Olivia is a good main character, she wants to escape her past and never think about it again, but life is hard and that’s
Ashley
*sigh* I definitely had a couple of good cries during this one. Grab your tissues!

UPDATE: (From the blog)

*sigh* This book was so REAL. And different. Many of you may know this about me already, but I'm a pretty big fan of MCs who are survivors. And Olivia is definitely a survivor...but not of what seems to be the standard set of 'things to survive from' that I seem to be reading over and over lately. Not that I don't still appreciate those books, but I REALLY appreciated that Olivia, and her sto
Christine Alibutud
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
"Love had that power. You could move on, you could love again, but you would never forget. The heart was too impressionable to forget."

description

This book was kind of ranging in the middle for me, so I guess I'll rate this 3/3.5 stars. I did enjoy this read, it's just that I found it somewhat lacking. The concept was so-so, and the story was just okay. I personally think that the plot had depth and potential, it's just that I didn't really find it special nor did it create any impact on me.

I think m
Kristin
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, new-adult
This was a really emotional book. Olivia is clearly still grieving over something that happened to her. She blames herself and is in a very deep depression for a lot of the book. She has PTSD from her past and the littlest thing like a movie theater or a song will revert her back in time to that horrific day. However, she finds comfort in her therapist, her new college roommate, Kara, and Kara's best friend, Preston. Over time she starts to heal little by little in the hopes of becoming whole ag ...more
Sandy
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
PIECES OF OLIVIA: Charleston Haven #1 by Melissa West is the first in a new adult series featuring the tried-and-true formula of a passionate heroine and arrogant but sweet male hero linked by a tumultuous past, setting up two wary strangers instead.

Olivia Warren transfers her enrollment from Columbia University to The College of Charleston after suffering through a horrific tragedy. She needs a change of scenery. Knowing her wounds go beyond the physical, Olivia hopes she'll fit in fo
Francesca
I really like West's Gravity series. I decided to give Pieces of Olivia a shot because of that and the fact that I generally like the NA genre. However, I'm becoming somewhat disenchanted with the NA genre as a whole. I typically read any and all romance - I'll read the same trope over and over and never get sick of it. But the NA genre seems to always have the same plotline:

1. Guy and girl have something tragic in their past
2. They are struggling to put the pieces back together
2. They are clo
diana
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review also appears on my blog, Chaotic Reader.
Book Blitz and Giveaway! Click here.

I received an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Quotes may change in the final print.

I have recently been testing the waters of the NA genre and when I learned that Melissa West is releasing her newest NA book (in a series), I jumped on the chance to read it. And it was a lovely, thrilling experience.

Olivia Warren is running from a tragic past. While she keeps everyone at
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Let Me Know (Lost in You, #2)
  • A Vault of Sins (Chaos Theory, #2)
  • No One's Hero (Chadwell Hearts, #2)
  • Make it Count (Bowler University, #1)
  • Whisper to Me (Between Breaths, #3)
  • A Perfect Dilemma (Hope Parish #3; A Perfect Secret, #3)
  • Hear Me
  • Third Degree
  • Tryst
  • Conspiracy Girl
  • Once Again (Sky Cove, #1)
  • Held Against You
  • Upside Down (Off the Map, #1)
  • Last Will and Testament (Radleigh University, #1)
  • Teaching Willow: Session One  (Teaching Willow, #1)
  • Only Between Us
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • If Only (If Only..., #1)
Melissa West is the USA TODAY bestselling author of swoony Southern romance and YA sci-fi romance,all with lots of kissing. Because who doesn't like kissing?. She lives outside of Atlanta, GA with her husband and two daughters and spends most of her time writing, reading, or fueling her coffee addiction.

She holds a B.A. in Communication Studies and a M.S. in Graphic Communication, both from Clemso

Charleston Haven (2 books)
  • Miles from Kara (Charleston Haven, #2)