Start by marking “The Child With Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional Growth” as Want to Read:
The Child With Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional Growth

The Child With Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional Growth

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Stanley Greenspan, internationally known for his work with infants, young children, and their families, and his colleague, nationally recognized child psychologist Serena Wieder, have for the first time integrated their award-winning research and clinical experience into a definitive guide to raising children with special needs. In this essential work they lay out a comple ...more
Published January 6th 1998 by Da Capo Press (first published January 5th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Child With Special Needs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Child With Special Needs

Alaina
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is so packed full of information that I have been reading it for 3 months now. I can only read 5-10 pages at a time, implement what he talks about in those pages and them read a little more. I love the floor-time approach this book teaches. To draw the child into your world and learn to enjoy interaction.
Joyce L
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Learn about floortime and how you can do so much to work with a child with special needs. Can we clone Dr. Greenspan?
Meg
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book would have been more beneficial if my child was younger....geared for younger children.
Michelle
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thick, dense read. I've started and stopped a dozen times. Takes time to digest. I'm considering adding it to my collection of reference books (high praise - I'm picky about what I buy) mainly because I'll need to refer to parts of this work for years...as my children continue to develop.

Revelation: All communication comes from emotional experiences. Emotions are the basis of learning; feelings underlie cognitive learning.

What I like:
charts for observing your child,
Quick reference for floor time
Becky
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this book very informative and very helpful. It broke down developmental milestones for intellectual and emotional growth that made it a lot easier for me to get a picture of where my son is and where he needs to go. It also has a lot of helpful suggestions for different disorders and challenges that arise when dealing with children with special needs. I would recommend this book to anyone who has contact with children with special needs.
Nicole Martin
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People working with special needs children.
Recommended to Nicole by: A family I used to work with gave me a copy.
Greenspan has developed a really awesome approach to working with children with special needs. I have only used this model when working with children on the Autism spectrum, but it can be used for children with all kinds of challenges.
Elissa
Jan 30, 2008 is currently reading it
A must-read for anyone who lives or works with a child dealing with developmental or processing disorders. So... probably not many of you. :)
Carol Muleta
This is an excellent resource for parents as they try to sort out their child's needs and devise a strategy for meeting them where they are.
Brenda Reinicke
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of newly diagnosed children with autism spectrum disorders.
One of the better ones I found. I would recommend this as a resource if you have a child newly diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder.
Andrea
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Brings back memories of child development classes in college. Written with clear milestones, steps and concepts using simple-to-complex strategies.
Michelle
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
His floor time approach is interesting and if you have the time a good approach.
Melissa
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A lot of great ideas in here.
Lisa
Mar 21, 2008 marked it as to-read-nf
Shelves: non-fiction
recommended by a developmental psychologist
Lisa
Julie
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Play Therapy
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Sensory Integration and the Child
  • Kids Beyond Limits: The Anat Baniel Method for Awakening the Brain and Transforming the Life of Your  Child With Special Needs
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • Applied Behavior Analysis
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • Count Us In: Growing Up with Down Syndrome (A Harvest Book)
  • Home Grown Kids
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk