Start by marking “Heartbreak Hotel” as Want to Read:
Heartbreak Hotel

Heartbreak Hotel

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  1,412 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Bestselling author Siddons brings to life the long, hot summer of 1956, when everyone was singing Elvis Presley's hit single. Maggie is a sorority girl, the quintessential Southern young lady--until she meets two people who shatter her idyllic existence. Simultaneous release with Colony. HC: Simon & Schuster.
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published August 28th 2007 by Pocket Star (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Heartbreak Hotel, please sign up.
Tracy Valentine It was referring to Maggie's confrontation with Boots, where she told him to call her when he "met a man" -- in other words, when he'd had an…moreIt was referring to Maggie's confrontation with Boots, where she told him to call her when he "met a man" -- in other words, when he'd had an experience like the one she did at the jailbreak, when she had an epiphany about what it was like to be a persecuted human being. It was obviously Hoyt who called Aiken, and I think he meant that he had "met a man" who had given him the same feeling that Maggie had when she stared into that man's eyes after the jailbreak. (less)

Denise
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I have always avoided Anne Rivers Siddons because I was never sure if she just pushed books out that didn't have a whole lot of content BUT I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I didn't realize until I finished it that this was Siddons first book, which almost makes me want to read a more current one to see if it is on par with her first. I enjoyed the portrayal of the South in the 1950's, well done. The book had some fluff but it also did a pretty good job of exploring the subject of integr ...more
LInda L
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book -- set in the time of integration in the Alabama/Mississippi area of the country. The story of a girl who definitely "got it" and acted on it. She wrote a pro-Negro article for the college paper and got into great trouble for it. She lost her fiance(loser) and gained an important friendship with a reporter. She was changed forever by the events happening around the country, and in a good way. A thoughtful, wonderful book.
Lyn Anderson
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreak Hotel is one of Siddon's most sensitive novels. A very interesting slant on the troubled times in the South during the beginning stages of the fight for integration of the Blacks, as well as another look into the typical attitudes of the college/sorority/rich coeds of the time.
Silvia
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, new-adult
In attempting to complete the Anne River Siddons canon I finally read her first novel. I wasn't expecting much since so many writers take time (and a few books) to develop their voice. Heartbreak Hotel is still a little rough around the edges, but with enough of Siddons' delicious Southern prose to make an enjoyable read. The author clearly wrote about people, or types of people, she knew from college, and so effectively captured a time and place, a South on the brink of change. If you're a Sidd ...more
Cindy Feigert
This story takes place in the late 1950's when the fight for civil rights was just beginning. at the heart of this story is Maggie, a beautiful coed who is pinned to a handsome frat boy, whose life is about to change in a big way. Maggie learns some very hard lessons and faces some realities during summer school. The author paints a true picture of what the deep south was like in the 50's and how it was not ready for the changes that were coming. Although this book was fiction there were some co ...more
Anita
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Multiple use of unnecessary slang.
Abrupt ending.
One bright spot was the glimpse of her college in a past era.
Teri
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Tara
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one can write the south and the depth of it into characters like Anne! Very eye-opening coming of age in the mid-20th century south read. Main character was amazing!
Kamelle Reigh
It has been a long time since I read a book and felt for the heroine.

I am a passive reader. I read books to pass the time and to amuse myself. I don't like books that make me think and reflect.

Maggie, the heroine, is a southern Belle who was reared to become a rich man's wife somebody. She has all these achievements and perfect looks. She comes from a good family and belongs to a reputable sorority. She is practically engaged to a rich and famous fraternity boy who is a heir to a vast cotton p
Mary
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Albama, 1956: While Elvis Presley was singing about love, one young woman was learning all about life. Everyone loves Maggie Deloach, one of the most popular girls on campus with everything going for her: an impeccable lineage; picture-perfect looks; the best sorority, and the handsomest fraternity boy's pin on her sweater. The ultimate Southern belle, Maggie knows what the rules are and is willing to play by them. No surprises are waiting in her future - but neither are any disappointments.

Then
Terry Jacobs
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. I would categorize it as "chick-lit," which made it a little tedious for me. Despite that, I found the book enjoyable and interesting.

I gave it four stars for the brilliant use of language and story message. I loved the pictures and moods that the author drew using a few carefully chosen words. The main character's growth was uneven, bordering on melodramatic at times despite adequate motivation, but worked. The male characters were flat and stereotyped (two star), but since t
Cara St.Hilaire
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Rivers Siddons is in my top five favorite contemporary authors. True - this isn't her absolute best, but it is strong. She has the best way of making you feel as if you are exactly where the book takes place and in the same time period. This takes place in the south (Alabama for the most part) during the ages of harlequin glasses and the budding civil rights movement. Siddons is able to, through fiction, illuminate what it was like then, which is something that those of us not alive in the ...more
Cindy
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second novel by Siddons that I have read and I am still undecided about her writing. The story is about Maggie Deloach who is a privileged southern woman going to school in Alabama in the 1950's. Life is good and easy until Maggie does something that changes her outlook on life and herself. This was the Civil Rights Era and Maggie finds herself questioning her values and expectations. This novel started out a little slow for me but i did want to finish to see how Maggie matures and h ...more
Jo
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1976 about a very traditional southern college girl in 1956 Alabama whose mind is gradually awakened to the world beyond the narrow confines of her life. By the end of the book I found I really wanted to know what happened next to this young woman. It was fascinating to read about the beginnings of the civil rights movement from the perspective of a young woman of that time as the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington occurred in the present. The book had such a ring of truth th ...more
Good novel about coming of age in 1956 Alabama. College student Maggie Deloach is taking summer classes at her Alabama university. Over the course of the summer, Maggie comes to terms with who she really is and who she wants to be and what is important to her. Siddons tends to use a lot of big words but she descibes everything so perfectly and detailed. I think she represented the era accuarately - often times the 1950s are very romanticized but this is written very realistically. This was made ...more
Kim Justice
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was required reading for one of my classes in college, but I really enjoyed it then, and have read it several times since. This isn't really a coming of age sort of story, it's really more of a coming into a conciouness sort of story, as the main character, Maggie Deloach, learns what she is all about. The details and the narrative combine to create a world that just sucks you in. Even if you're reading it in January of 2009 in NYC, you feel like you're sitting on a wide porch, lamenting th ...more
Lauren Denton
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't nearly as cheesy as the title makes it sound. Engrossing story of a proper sorority girl at Randolph University (aka Auburn) in the 1950s, just as the civil rights tremors are beginning. As a writer for the student newspaper, she writes an "imflammatory" article favoring integration that turns everyone except a few people against her. The story is based on the author's experiences at Auburn, where she wrote a similar article that ended up gaining national attention and got her fi ...more
Michael Laflamme
Well written character study. Excellent character development. It gives the feeling of being in the mid-50s in the deep south at the birth of the Civil Rights Movement. I was a little disappointed at the main character's response to events in her life toward the end of the book, I was hoping for her to be stronger. The last few paragraphs hint that she will become stronger after the close of the span of the story but I found myself wanting to witness that growth and felt let down that I was depr ...more
Becky Harris
There was time when I read everything Anne Rivers Siddons published as soon as they came out in hardback. This was her first book and while it contains certain Hallmarks of her style and voice, it does read differently. It was enjoyable but not as engaging as some others. Her books are fast moving - you sit with the characters - but the characterization isn't as strong as her later works. Interesting, but not a must read.
Clayton Brannon
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written book that reflects to some degree the times in which this novel was written. It was published in 1976 and is about college life of the mid 50's and trials of young college students. I had a good laugh when she describes Destin, Florida as a sleepy little fishing village, which it was at that time but certainly not today. Overall well worth the read.
Melissa Delbridge
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
The author does an excellent job of capturing a sheltered young woman's awakening to a world larger than the one her parents have prepared her for. Randolph is, of course, modeled on Auburn University, and as an Alabama native and a member of the generation after the one in the novel, I found it credible and fascinating.
Jean
I just finished Heartbreak Hotel - the first book written by Anne River Siddons. It takes place on the campus of a small college in Alabama in 1956 and chronicles the coming of age of a young sorority girl as she becomes aware of the larger world. It particularly looks at the beginning of the civil rights movement and her new-found awareness.
Amy Jones
Nov 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...WTF did I just read? And by just read, I mean literally the last few pages. What had been trundling along as a nice, entertaining, slightly predictable book, albeit one that was full of fairly offensive views on lesbians, became totally bizarre in the last chapter and knocked it down from a three to a two. So strange.
Britt Lovelady
I really did not enjoy reading this book. I didn't like or understanad the characters, and there didn't seem to be a point to the plot. I feel like this was supposed to be a coming of age story, but nothing really drastic seemed to chang with the main character. Plus I found it boring. I give it a D.
Debby
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
This is the 2nd book I've read by Anne Rivers Siddons (the first being Fox's Earth) and both have been 5-star books for me! Siddons has such a gift for storytelling and developing such multi-faceted characters that I just can't put the books down. Her books are based in the South and I love good Southern fiction too! I'll definitely be reading more by Anne Rivers Siddons.
Elizabeth Pinkley
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in the era.
Read this book years ago, but did not remember the story. -----Hotel restored my thinking of Siddons as a really good writer. The works she has done in the past several years have not been, to me, the same quality writing as her earlier works. Was even more interesting to me since the story took place during my earlier years.
Kaethe
Privileged white girl discovers empathy during the Civil Rights movement. I'd love to see YA readers discovering this.

This was probably the most important book I actually read as a teen. It gave me my first insights into the struggles of others and the privileges I enjoy that others do not.
Amanda
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads, fiction
These is something reassuring about these novels, despite my lack of ability to feel nostalgia for the timeperiod, I almost do. I love the portraits she paints of whites trying to come to terms with the Civil Rights movement.

I had not previously read this novel, so I enjoyed it even more than the others that I have been rereading.
Bonnie Welch
Not her best work. I kept waiting for the story to draw me in. Typically Siddons is a master of the surprise ending and she did manage to work some of that into this book, but it was lacking the grip of some of her other works. I stayed with it because it was Siddons and, luckily, the final 20 or so pages gave it a good solid ending but if you've never read her, don't start with this one.
Josie
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Rivers Siddons isn't quite a guilty pleasure--I really enjoy her novels, though I don't relate very well to her Southern heroines. This is one of her first novels. I liked it, but I didn't feel as drawn in as will her later ones. Still, a good summer read.
  • First Things First
  • Almost Innocent
  • At Paradise Gate
  • How Far She Went
  • Dancehall
  • The Lonely Furrow (Suffolk, #3)
  • A Summer in the Country
Born Sybil Anne Rivers in Atlanta, Georgia, she was raised in Fairburn, Georgia, and attended Auburn University, where she was a member of the Delta Delta Delta Sorority.
While at Auburn she wrote a column for the student newspaper, The Auburn Plainsman, that favored integration. The university administration attempted to suppress the column, and ultimately fired her, and the column garnered natio
More about Anne Rivers Siddons

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99