Start by marking “Wholehearted (Hope Cove, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wholehearted (Hope Cove, #2)

Wholehearted (Hope Cove #2)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  507 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Hope Cove: Book Two

Officer Declan Grant responds to a call at the Hope Cove docks to find Lucas Hale barely alive after being beaten and tossed off his fishing boat. The violent crime rocks this tranquil community where everyone knows each other and doors are rarely locked. Despite Declan being new to Hope Cove, he wants to keep his new home and Lucas safe. He starts by vo
Published December 9th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wholehearted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wholehearted

Elspeth
Dec 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Gah, what happened here?

Over all it was meh-tastic!

Book one was SOOOOO much better than this, this I don't know what to call it.

The romance was horrible. The characters didn't mesh well. They just didn't fit. I found myself not caring what happened to them. The only parts I really enjoyed were the glimpses I got of Oliver and Mack's lives. What happened?

Now on to the local Mainer being a pissy bitch.

1. What is with this highway shit still? We call them Route One, or Route Three respectively.
Sheri
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
this was love/hate alllll the way...favorite word is still fuck...and fuck me if I'm moving onto the third.
I have NO one to blame but myself...feel free to tell me to shut it if bitching occurs :P

*2.5 3.5 2 3 in-fecking-decisive stars*
Trisha Harrington
This was a really awesome read!

I love this authors writing and I love her characters. I love that she brought Mack and Oliver, the couple from the first book, into this and showed us where they are now. I was so happy to catch up with them, especially when I learned what they were up to.

Now to the MC's in this book. Declan and Lucas. These two were really good together! I liked the way the author had Lucas start off as a bit of an ass, but then he let his defences down and started to show a nice
Tina
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance

Wholehearted, the second book in the Hope Cove series, is about Declan, Mack’s Deputy, who we got to know in the first book. He’s such a lovable character and deserves some happiness. Lucas on the other hand is broken and damaged, he needs exactly what Declan offers him. It’s nice to watch these two men trying to overcome their past abuses and learn to trust one another in the process.

Btw…I loved that Cat Ashwood kept us up to date with Mack and Oliver.

I really like this series. The characters
BWT (Belen)
Before I start - the story itself I would have marked as 1 star -that this got to 3 Stars is because of the audio!

Belens Audio Book Review

Let me say this: While I had a whole hell of a lot of problems with the story - John Orr's narration is 5 Stars! It was absolutely flawless.

Wow Bravo

Once again, Orr was an absolute pleasure to listen to...and if it weren't for his incredible narration I would have probably marked this DNF 50% through.

Not kill somebody

Some of my notes:
* Why is Lucas being such an ASSHOLE?! Declan saved your life, dickhead!
Kazza
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
description

This is such a sweet book. It just adds to the whole feel of the series so far.

You briefly meet Deputy Declan Grant in Brokenhearted and he has his own book this time around. Declan finds a man on the docks after someone calls a 'sleeping' man into the station, but the man is barely clinging to life. Declan feels this pull to the unknown man on the dock. He wants nothing more than to protect him, even though he doesn't know him.

It is insta-attraction quickly turned to insta-love for Declan. It
Heller
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-cops
1.75

I wanted to like this but unfortunately both the characters and the storyline didn't work for me and things wrapped up far to easily in the end. Also, the twist with Mack and Oliver had my head spinning. I'll be sticking around for Haydn's story because I need to know what happens with him.
Christy
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
After being utterly entranced with book one in Cate Ashwood's 'Hope Cove' series, it was no wonder that I was excited to jump back into this little town in Maine. I really fell in love with Hope Cove, and its sense of unity and family. The people seem to care for one another, and I liked the small-town rhythms.

Declan hasn't lived in Hope Cove for very long, but he's fallen in love with it. He moved there from Austin, and he still hasn't gotten over what happened to him in the police force there.
Elyxyz
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voto: 3.5 stelline di media.
Premesso che il primo libro di questa serie mi era piaciuto moltissimo, speravo di bissare il suo successo con questo. Purtroppo, non è stato pienamente così. È una lettura carina, sì. Ma non mi ha convinta del tutto e non è al livello del precedente, almeno secondo il mio parere.
L’inizio parte davvero bene, e mi ha coinvolta parecchio, ma successivamente alcuni comportamenti dei personaggi mi sono sembrati poco credibili, così come la parte medica (uno su tutti: ma d
Mandy*reads obsessively*

I read the first book in this series Brokenhearted( Hope Cove#1 which was about Mack and Oliver) and was anxious to see how Deputy Declan's story would play out. Even if this is the second book it can easily be read as a standalone.

When Declan finds a bleeding and broken Lucas something inside him feels immediately drawn to him. He feels a kind of kinship in their situation and can't seem to leave Lucas alone in the hospital. Part of it of course, is the need to see the perpetrators punished but
Yeochingyu
3.5*

I really, seriously, wholeheartedly liked the first book. but this one not as much.
Maybe because I had high hopes. Declan's story feels like an insta-love from a shifter-finds-his-mate-book which is awesome if this was a fantasy book. I personally got that feeling it bugged me just a little but I ignored it's okay I like insta-love.

but then Lucas was wary of Declan which is perfectly normal when you wakeup to an obssessed/worried cop at your bedside (a tad creepy) but I liked it when Declan
Kade Boehme
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These just keep getting better. Can't wait for Ironhearted
M/M e dintorni, l'altro lato del romance
3 STELLINE E MEZZA!
Qui la mia recensione:
Stephen
Do you believe in love at first sight? How about Obsession at first site?

Hope Cove Maine patrolman Declan Grant responds to a call at the docks to find Lucas Hale barely alive after being beaten and tossed off his fishing boat. But somehow Lucas is not just another victim... at least to Declan. Once he spots Lucas unconscious on the pier, Declan is enthralled. He can't even let Lucas ride alone with EMTs to the emergency room. Or leave his hospital room for long, or NOT invite the otherwise tot
Dig
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I'd heard this was bad, but...

I just have a huge problem with, 'I just met you and this is crazy...' two weeks later, 'I love you, move in with me.'

There were a few editing issues I had with the story - mainly revolving around Lucas's cast... first, he needed a bath b/c he couldn't get it wet, and not even a week later, it's mentioned that they showered together and had sex in the shower? and then Declan took Lucas to the Doctor's b/c he still had his cast, and then he needed to keep the cast o
Trisha Harrington
John Orr did an amazing job narrating this! I would forget I was supposed to be doing something while listening to this and I would sit down and listen for a while, and I got caught up in the story again.

Now to the MC's in this book. Declan a
Keris Shay
Sadly this book was good till the conflict. I saw some reviews talking about Lucas hot/cold behavior towards Declan and I get it. BUT at the same time , we do not have his POV so we really don't know why that character was thinking. (This is why I am anHUGE fan of authors who give us that) Also that man had just been beaten to an inch of his life. Show me someone whose emotions wouldn't be all over the place!

Then the conflict hit and well I lost all interest in the story. (See my reading activit
Chris Kottner-Kirschner
Der Cop Declan hat nach seiner Flucht aus Texas in Hope Cove endlich Frieden und einen guten Platz zu leben und arbeiten gefunden. Mit seiner Sexualität hadert er noch immer, da ihm seine Neigungen in der Vergangenheit große Probleme bereitet haben. Doch da sein Chef Mack mit seinem Partner Oliver offen schwul lebt, öffnet Declan sich langsam. Bei einem Einsatz findet er den schwer verletzten Lucas. Declan ist fasziniert von dem jüngeren Mann und entwickelt sofort einen Beschützerinstinkt.

Doch L
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

Story 4.5
Narration 4.5

We are back in Hope Cove and this time it is Officer Declan Grant that is in the spot light. Still carrying secrets from his pasts he keeps his small group of friends close to his heart and is wary of strangers.
When he is called to the docks late one night is discovers a very bloody, very beaten and barely alive Lucas Hale. Not really knowing the reason he feels a pull towards the man and makes it his mission to help with his recovery and fin
Sam
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: male-male, dsp, 2-5-star
2.5* (rounded up, again, for the recipe in the back—so, so fun—happy baking times ahead!)

This is definitely not a 3 star book when I compare it to others I have given that rating to, but nor is it a 2. I really like Cate Ashwood's writing and style of prose, it flows well and is very easy to read, and there were many moments in this book that pulled me in and held me tight and were just lovely. But I did struggle with the plot—there were too many "shake head" moments that had me losing interest
Amber
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-contemporary
This is a low three stars for me. The character pretty much didn't mesh for me. Why Declan is so infatuated with Lucas from the beginning and why Lucas is so mistrustful in the beginning doesn't make a lot of sense. Then Lucas goes cold to hot with a snap of the fingers. Why Mack was rooting around in the bottom of Declan's drawer and magically finds a hidden folder is also way to convenient. To me too much is taken for granted and instantly falls into place for this to be a really great book li ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Audiobook provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Full review coming soon on the above site.

4 stars for the story
.5 extra for the narration by John Orr
4.5 stars overall
Brooklyn
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-mm
I enjoyed this story, but there were a few things that bothered me. Lucas' hot/cold attitude didn't seem solid. He had no honest explanation for the rude behavior in the hospital, then he pretty quickly was all friendly and lovey-dovey. It just didn't gel for me. And I felt the resolution and make-up was rushed at the end, like the author was in a hurry to end the story.
Feliz
it was okay--I guess if I'd read this earlier in my "reading career" I'd have liked it a lot better. I just found it a bit bland, and there were many mundane things, domestic bliss and superfluous sex scenes in it. Also I didn't quite connect to the characters. A great start, but it went downhill into the flat and somewhat dull fairly quickly.
Will Parkinson
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I might be a bit in love with Declan. Just a tad.

Scylla and Charybdis has nothing on this man. When he finds out what happened to the man he finds himself falling in love with, he does his best to keep a promise, but these things can't be buried forever, and when they come up, will the new love survive?
Sophia Gracin
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, contemporary
I need more of this authors books. Her stories really work for me and I can't get enough of them. This series is also really, really good. The characters are all memorable and likable (which is important!).
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Cute and quick read

Mare~Slitsread
Romanticamente Fantasy
Eccoci al secondo appuntamento con le vicende sentimentali degli abitanti di Hope Cove.
Questa volta tocca all’agente Declan, che già avevamo incontrato nel libro precedente (Cuore Infranto).
La vicenda si apre con Declan che, mentre è in servizio, si ritrova a soccorrere un ragazzo, ritrovato quasi in fin di vita su di un pontile.
Risulta subito evidente che il ragazzo sia stato vittima di un pesante pestaggio, ma ogni cosa passa in secondo piano nella mente dell’agente, che prova subito un forte
Diane Dannenfeldt
Okay, I liked the story. If it wasn't for the way OTT blowup and blaming Declan for what happened. It was all Mac's fault & then he has the audacity to say to Declan that "Lucas needs someone he can trust right now." F'ing really? You were the one that did this & then threw Declan under the bus. I don't think I was ever so angry at a character before. If we could have taken away this whole stupid deal, it would have been easily a 5 star book for me.
Brandielle
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Too frequent use of the name Lucas in the opening chapter? 1 2 Sep 23, 2014 06:49PM
Dreamspinner Press: Wholehearted by Cate Ashwood 1 8 Dec 09, 2013 09:18PM
  • My Only Sunshine
  • Dirty Deeds (Cole McGinnis, #4)
  • Third You Die (Kevin Connor Mystery #3)
  • Pick Up the Pieces (The Light in Your Eye #1)
  • Newton's Laws of Attraction (Newton's Laws of Attraction, #1)
  • Lumber & Law (Shoes & Ties, #2)
  • Enigma (Russ Morgan Mystery #1)
  • Love, Like Water
  • Pen Name - Doctor Chicken
  • Unexpected Rescue (Unexpected #1)
  • Fire and Ice (Carlisle Cops, #2)
  • A Good Vintage
  • The Foster Family
  • Sex & Sourdough
  • Coloring Outside the Lines (Different Paths to Love, #2)
  • Out-Foxed (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #3)
  • The Fall (The Fall #1)
  • Left on St. Truth-be-Well
Cate discovered her love for books of all kinds early on, but romance is where her heart truly lies. She is addicted to the happily ever afters and the journey the characters take to get there. Currently residing in White Rock, B.C, Cate loves living just a stone's throw from the ocean. When she's not writing, she can be found consuming coffee at an alarming rate while wrangling her children, her ...more
More about Cate Ashwood

Hope Cove (3 books)
  • Brokenhearted (Hope Cove, #1)
  • Ironhearted (Hope Cove, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be