Start by marking “A Matter of Choice” as Want to Read:

A Matter of Choice

It Was One For The Books...

Sgt. James "Slade" Sladerman had practically been born to the force, but he wanted to be a writer, not a cop. No one was more different from him than Jessica Winslow, who was wealthy and working only because she wanted to.

He felt the gap between them keenly, and almost refused to be her undercover bodyguard. But someone had to watch her and he'd
Published September 27th 2013 by InterMix (first published May 1984)

To ask other readers questions about A Matter of Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter of Choice

Start your review of A Matter of Choice
Cyndi
May 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. This was not Roberts best novel. I found the name of the male hero stupid - Slade. It's like a throwback to a romance from the 80s (which makes sense because that's when this was written). I didn't believe the instant connection between Jess and Slade. I didn't believe that Jess would find Slade's overbearing, almost abusive, attitude attractive. I didn't believe the premise of the case - it seemed highly unrealistic. I didn't find the mystery believable or particularly suspenseful. None of ...more
Lyndi W.
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
2.5 stars Both the H and h are kinda dolts in this one. Nora should have focused a bit more on the mystery and less on the romance. These two didn't work all that well together.
Katy M
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As usual, a great read.

I don't like to go into detail about a book as I don't want to spoil it for others.
Nora Roberts is a consummate storyteller and consistently, seemingly effortlessly takes you into her vision.
This is one of her earlier works so lacks the maturity and depth of her more current books but, even so, her writing surpasses most, if not all, novelists.
Seamlessly combining mystery with the classic romance novel elements to a rarified level Ms. Roberts has once again worked her magi
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2014
I *almost* added this to my historical shelf. Set in 1984 and it really shows. Everyone is smoking ALL THE TIME. Other than that, I found the mystery part of the story totally predicable and most of the characters to be total creepers. It was the style of the time. Lesson Learned. Nora Roberts is great, but I need to stick to more recent contemporaries of hers.
Laurel-Rain
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Sergeant James Sladerman (Slade), of the NYPD, has mixed feelings about his career as a police officer. Writing is his first love, but for the time being, he writes after work. Everything in life is all about making hard choices.

So when his latest assignment takes him to a small Connecticut town to "babysit" Jessica Winslow, the owner of an antiques shop, while FBI agents circle, trying to find the kingpin of a smuggling operation that is using her shop, Slade is less than thrilled.

His cover, ho
Ashley Christensen
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: all-the-nora
I'm so glad she writes male protagonists that are actually likable now, because wow.
That was a common problem in the 80s though, and Nora was not immune.

I really liked the main character, Jessica, though. And the story was great, definitely something she'd do now, but with a better male lead. Sorry, Slade. You just weren't enough for me to go gaga over.
Rebecca Neely
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book .. fanciful and fun.. romance and mystery.. light fast read.
Judy Churchill
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has the same story line as the last novel I read. The setting and the characters are different so I still enjoyed the book. It seems I liked it more than other reviewers.
Mojca
This book was first published in 1984 and it certainly shows. Not because of the subject matter, but the voice and narrative style sound dated even for a Silhouette.

The suspense was good with the mystery of just who in Jessica's closer circle was the baddie, while the identity of the main villain, the one pulling the strings, didn't even matter that much in the end.

But once you move away from the mystery, there's not much else there. The heroine seemed like a flake, the hero was an ass, their "r
Heidi
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-nora
Undercover cop James Sladerman (aka Slade) is assigned to investigate an antique shop connected to overseas smuggling, while also protecting its unsuspecting owner Jessica Winslow. The pacing of this book is a bit odd (some action/tense scenes spaced apart by a lot of waiting around), but it's one of Nora's first mysteries and her first cop hero! To hear a full discussion of A Matter of Choice listen to Season 1, Ep. #7 "Nora Roberts 1984: First Impressions, A Matter of Choice, and Less of a Str ...more
Vicki
I kind of got tricked into reading this because I sorted the NR books available for my Nook from the library by publication date and this came out on top and had an unfamiliar title, so I thought this was new. But apparently publication to them means date it was put into e-book form, because this is almost as old as I am. As such, it has a lot of "she said no but her eyes said yes" and "kissed her to shut her up" bullshit in it. But it was kind of interesting to see how NR's writing improved as ...more
Tammy Reeping
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book

I started reading and couldn't put it down until I finished.
I can't wait for the next Nora Roberts book.
Charlotte Griggs
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lena H.
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A romantic suspense along the lines of The Obsession and Black Hills. There have been glimmers of Roberts' talent in a few of her older books but this is the first one I've read that really grabbed me the way her later standalones do. The plot was intriguing and the dialogue was smooth with the exception of the fact that Slade told Jessica to shut up several times and was fond of calling her an idiot (which, unlike heroines in many of Roberts' earlier books, she really wasn't.)

I was very pleasa
Becky
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This was published before under a different name. I think they should tell you that. I hadn't read this book before. These are some of here earlier works and happy to say, she has come a long way. The story was predictable with the romantic edge. It followed two headstrong characters with romance, suspense and intrigue. I got a little tired of the same dialogues going over and over, but I did like the ending. I really thought I had figured out "who dun it", but I was wrong. So it was worth finis ...more
Lirisha Tuladhar
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
well to be honest.. i really enjoyed the book .. thr romance.. the thrill.. the way the story was written it was all smooth...
the setup plot was a bit weak though.. for it seemed that..all the case was too easy to figure out.. who the culprit was akready could be evident and could be guessed without much brainy thoughts..
the love story was great but somehow the power of grasping a strong plot story loosened here..
Slade and Jess was indeed a pair!! Im glad it didnt just end up broken relations
Cheryl Jacks
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great story.

Interesting characters grab the attention of the reader from the first page. Enjoyable progression of mystery and romance. I really liked the people in this book, but I've never read any of Me. Roberts' books I didn't like.
Joy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was written back in the mid 80's. You need to keep this in mind when reading. Even so I found this still to be an enjoyable read. The story flowed and the range of the characters was interesting.
Patty Skaggs
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Matter of Choice

A definite FIVE STARS...Nora Roberts didn't disappoint this loyal reader for one moment.
Loved the chemistry between Jessica Winslow and Sergeant James "Slade" Sladerman.
Barrington John Prince
Good plot with more than one touch of romance

Enjoyable read even though there were one or two too many stop starts to the romantic side of the story due to frustrating class conscious and reasons of duty.
Ir
Betty Ann Burban
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exciting suspense and romance.

Slade a Sergeant with the police is given an unusual assignment to investigate a beautiful shopkeeper who might be involved in some smuggling.The plot thickens and the electricity sizzles between the two.
Cactuskid
Aug 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
I wanted to read a Nora Roberts book but I won't read any more. No real story here, just a romance with a little mystery to try to support it. At least it wasn't full of foul language like most books are now.
Kerri Jones
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mediocre offering from one of my favourite go-to authors.
Valerie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
More of a bodice ripper than anything else. I was hoping for more of a plot.
Ria Louise
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Gaaahh! What did I just read??!!
Ann
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Too short

It's like the introductory paragraph of a great story, and then they dump you, I don't like it makes me mad.
Gail A Ostrove
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Slade and Jessica

Jessica and Slade fall in love while Slade saves her life and gets the bad guys while he is undercover taking down corrupt importers.
IMHO
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Good Read, enough said.
Beth Howell
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
quick easy ready really enjoyed
Cheryll Bouzek
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mystery and Romance

This Nora Roberts book is full of intrigue and romance. Enjoyed the characters and plot. Quick read and kept my interest.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Trouble with Paradise (The Richards Brothers Book 1)
  • The Kiss
  • Willows Bend
  • Daughter Of The Murray
  • Lacey (Outback Brides of Wirralong #1)
  • Never Goodbye (The Barrington Billionaires, #7)
  • The Mill on Magnolia Lane
  • The Call of the Pines
  • The Sky over Brigadier Station (Brigadier Station #2)
  • A Place to Stay (Rangelands Series #1)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown and coming in November 2020 -- The Awakening -- the first book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print. ...more