Start by marking “Comfort & Joy” as Want to Read:
Comfort & Joy

Comfort & Joy

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  11,762 Ratings  ·  1,317 Reviews
Joy Candellaro once loved Christmas more than any other time of the year. Now, as the holiday approaches, she is at a crossroads in her life; recently divorced and alone, she can’t summon the old enthusiasm for celebrating. So without telling anyone, she buys a ticket and boards a plane bound for the beautiful Pacific Northwest. When an unexpected detour takes her deep int ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Comfort & Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comfort & Joy

Lisa
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I know several Kristin Hannah fans. They tell me how good she is at writing about relationships. Perhaps, but I didn't find out reading Comfort & Joy because it definitely didn't pass my 50 page rule. There were so many implausible things that happened in the first few chapters, I knew I wouldn't find any joy in reading the rest of the book.

About the whole plane crash thing... Joy describes in great detail what's happening during the crash--the horrible sounds, being thrashed about in the c
Pam
Dec 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Sappy, simple, and a total waste of both hours it took to read. But I repeated my mantra...I love my book clubbies, I love my book clubbies... and plowed through it. Now onto something with multi-syllabic words.
Sharon
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Joy Candellaro is a high school Librarian and use to love the Christmas season. That was until one day when she came home to find her husband in bed with her sister. Seeing as her marriage is falling apart Joy decides it's time to take a holiday. So Joy heads for the airport and hops on a plane that is going to Hope. Joy thinks that having time away from her problems will be the best thing for her.

But tragedy strikes and the plane she is on ends up crashing. The plane crashes in the forest and a
Piper
This cannot be written by the same author who penned The Nightingale. I mentally uttered this to myself throughout the entire book. It was implausible in every way. And the plot twist? Just no. That’s really all I have to say at this time other than this was gifted to me by my sweet friend, Lisa. I think she was surprised by this story as much as I was. It was nothing close to what I expected it to be.
Janie Johnson
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I just love reading books for the holiday, some how it makes them more magical that way. This was my first Christmas read for December and I have to say that I really loved it. I really do enjoy Kristin Hannah's writing a lot. The first book I read by her was Winter Garden. Also a very enjoyable read. I especially liked the characters in this book. They are very well written, they are both relatable and believable. I feel like I knew them all personally and I loved that.

There is such a great pl
Asheley
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I read this last year for the first time, I couldn't believe the gigantic plot twist. To me, it felt like being punched in the stomach. I think that is because I was so invested in the story that when the big plot twist came, I was just thrown.

So I decided to reread this year to see how I'd like this story knowing everything. And it really felt much different and was even more enjoyable!

Here is my initial full review. I think it's a good one!

On the reread: it was fun to realize that I had
Shannon
Nov 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for my library's book club. A librarian is in a plane crash and her sister slept with her husband. That's all you need to know. Save yourself the time.
Virginia
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fadime Tüylüoğlu
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Biraz toz pembe bir hikaye...
Küçüklük arkadaşımında hayali arkadaşı vardı. Umarım ilerde çat kapı çıkıp gelmez. :D
Bobie'nin hayali arkadaşının Joy olmasına o kadar şaşırdım ki.
Nedense Huzurlu balıkçısı kulübesi gibi bir yerim olmasını ve orada yaşamak istediğimi fark ettim.
BEN BÖYLE BİR HATADA ASLA KARDEŞİMİ AFFETMEZDİM. YÜZÜNE BAKABİLMESİNE BİLE ŞAŞIRDIM, İĞRENDİM.
GERÇİ OKUDUĞUM BİR KİTAP. GERÇEK HAYATTA BÖYLE BİR ŞEY OLMAYACAĞINI HEPİMİZ BİLİYORUZ. Olanları Kristin'nin hayal gücüne bağlıyor
Jaclyn
Dec 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this book up on a whim at the library b/c I was looking for a heart-warming Christmas story. In Comfort & Joy I definitely found it. Since I already like Kristin Hannah, and I wanted a Christmas story, I didn't read any reviews on this book before hand and had no idea what to expect. I'm glad I didn't read any before hand though b/c I had no expectations other than heart-warming, and in that this book delivered.

The twist in the middle threw me a bit - I never saw it coming at all -
2017 Reading Chal...: Comfort and Joy 1 22 Dec 16, 2015 06:33PM
  • Silver Bells
  • There's Something about Christmas
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • The Christmas Secret (Christmas Hope, #5)
  • A Christmas Home (A Dog Named Christmas #2)
  • Lost December
  • Snowed In
Kristin Hannah is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 20 novels including the international blockbuster, The Nightingale, which was named Goodreads Best Historical fiction novel for 2015 and won the coveted People's Choice award for best fiction in the same year. Additionally, it was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon, iTunes, Buzzfeed, the Wall Street Journal, Paste, and Th ...more
More about Kristin Hannah...

“Stacey: "I'm surprised you haven't thrown me out."

Comfort: "At your current weight, I'd need some sort of catapult.”
8 likes
“Those are exactly the kind of memories I try to avoid, but they're like abestos: invisible and deadly. You need special gear to get rid of them.” 3 likes