Start by marking “El escarabajo de oro” as Want to Read:
El escarabajo de oro

El escarabajo de oro

El escarabajo de oro (t�tulo original en ingl�s: The Gold Bug) es uno de los cuentos m�s conocidos del escritor estadounidense Edgar Allan Poe, publicado por primera vez en junio de 1843, en el Philadelphia Dollar Newspaper, despu�s de que Poe ganase un concurso de relatos cortos convocado por el propio peri�dico, que adem�s estaba premiado con 100 d�lares. Su lenguaje es ...more
Published March 9th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 13th 1842)

Start your review of El escarabajo de oro
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

"The Gold-Bug," written in 1843, was one of Edgar Allen Poe's most popular stories. He actually won a $100 prize for it in a newspaper's writing contest, probably the most he was ever paid for any of his works. It tells the story of William Legrand, who finds and deciphers an old parchment with a hidden message that leads to a pirate's buried treasure -- thus taking advantage of the 19th century public's enthusiasm for both cryptography and buried treasure.

The cipher on the parchment is a relat
Peter
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
One of the best treasure hunting stories ever written! Legrand discovers a mysterious gold bug that resembles the form of a human skull. But what has the bug to do with the strange parchment and what's written in invisible ink upon it? Poe finds some strange numbers written and gives a brilliant description of how to decipher this riddle. And what about the treasure? Would you have found anthing when given that amount of information? A brilliant tale I already liked in my childhood. It hasn't lo ...more
Ivan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this I finish all notable works of Edgar Allan Poe and conclude my field trip into late Gothic/early horror. Works of Poe along with Algeron Blackwood remains one of the highlights of that excursions. I plan to go for another round some time in future as well as into more modern horror but not for some time.
Exina
The Gold Bug tells the adventure of Mr. William Legrand, a recluse and entomologist, who finds a gold bug which eventually leads him to a buried treasure of pirates.

He had hunted down and secured, with Jupiter's assistance, a scarabaeus which he believed to be totally new, but in respect to which he wished to have my opinion on the morrow.
"And why not tonight?" I asked, rubbing my hands over the blaze, and wishing the whole tribe of scarabaei at the devil.

The narrator is very skeptical, and
Zenki the Hermit
IDEAL READER’S PROFILE

Profession: Piracy
Favorite Animal: Haunted beetles.
Creativity: Very insecure with own drawings.
Greatest Strength: Can easily climb tulip trees.
Fatal Flaw: Doesn’t know where left eye is.
Sixth Sense: Can spot hidden drawings in parchment.
Greatest Achievement: Buried treasure up a hill and then murdered two companions
Brian
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
E.A. Poe: the original virtual reality.

I'm On the road to becoming a Poe fanatic. This guy is so freaking cool! (Please forgive me for falling into my lazy thinking vernacular.)

A man finds a golden bug and goes mad, while his doctor and slave try to help him.

This offers a pirates puzzle and explains the resolution. Is Poesque a word? I want to use it.

Poe makes me forget the world around me and literally live life in the story. He has serious power, intellect and skill.

Wow. *sighs* Here we go. Fi
Vanessa J.
3.5 out of 5 stars

This is a story about a treasure hunt that starts with finding a gold beetle, and proceeds from there with adventure and ciphers and ingenious explanations.

The narrator is the usual nameless/faceless one that appears in most of Poe's stories. This time, though, he's not unreliable.

Truly recommended for fans of Poe and/or short stories.
Connie G
The title, "The Gold Bug", has a double meaning in this story about a gold colored large bug found on Sullivan's Island, and also a treasure hunt for gold. The narrator's friend, William Legrand, seems a bit strange and possibly ill at first, but we find out that he has been using his strong deductive skills.
Orient
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pirates :)

"The Gold Bug" is a nice short treasure hunt with a great introduction to cryptography and codebreaking. It definitely tickled my curiosity and I tried to decipher the code.

Though this book was a little bit bitter due to the racism, shown to the black servant.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
One of Poe's longer stories, but it's a pretty cool adventure/mystery, Poe was a versatile author and it's too bad he was not appreciated more in his lifetime.
Benjamin Stahl
The first time I read this, I thought it was very boring. Having just read it again, in my epic journey to read every single goddamned thing that Poe has ever written - (I shall be married with kids by the time I am finished; or, more likely, rotting beneath an unmarked grave as all my friends go on without realizing I'm even dead) - I guess I enjoyed the story a little bit more. But hell, by the time I finished it, I think I basically had the same impressions. I give it for credit for making se ...more
A. Dawes
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A little more dated than some of other Poe's tales. It involves a bug bite (and potential madness) and a cryptogram. Not a storyline that did much for me personally.
Quirkyreader
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had a very interesting plot.
Plateresca
Finally, humour from Poe! Sadly, most of it comes at the expense of a negro servant.

Otherwise, it's an adventure story involving a cypher. I remember the days when emails sometimes came as gibberish because of some bug (not a gold-bug, though) and one could decypher them using more or less the same methods (knowing the email probably began with 'Hello' or words to that meaning helped a lot, of course). Anyway, Poe's story was a huge inspiration for many others - writers, as well as, they say, th
Walter Mendoza
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Gold-Bug is a masterpiece of deductive mystery story of Edgar A. Poe. The story takes place on Sullivan's Island about Captain Kidd's buried treasure and a parchment like a key, with an amazing cryptanalysis, and excellent and big final. In conclusion a book I Recommend.
Caroline
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Easily one of my favorite short stories of all time! Clever, adventurous, mysterious, witty, all rolled into one.
☯Emily
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ☯Emily by: NYU course
Just an average Poe story about a hidden treasure. It is absurd and ridiculous, but I still read it to the end. However, I am wondering what happened to the treasure. (view spoiler) ...more
A Mig
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A pun that leads us to a hidden treasure and to the early (earliest?) use of a cypher. A classic from Poe; the golden scarab reminded me of Guillermo del Toro's Cronos movie; there was everything to make it a great story... Unfortunately the 19th century style and anticlimactic structure spoiled my enthusiasm for it.
Tom Mc Kenna
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like tales of adventure that involve treasure maps, ciphers, pirate gold and buried treasure than this is a story for you. An excellent read for both young and old.

In the story Poe has the narrator describe Legrand as thus; "I found him well educated, with unusual powers of mind, but infected with misanthropy, and subject to perverse moods of alternate enthusiasm and melancholy" (p. 2). If anyone would know about those perverse moods it would be Poe. Dr. Kay R. Jamison speaking at a John
Emad
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
No one could write a cryptography-based story as good as what Poe did in The Gold Bug.
Some of his elements can be witnessed nowadays (long long after Poe's era) in the works of modern writers as Emily Rodda.
Aeroniel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! But, I mean, has Poe even written anything that isn't?
SwedishGeekGirl
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intresting tresure hunting story which I did not expect at all!
The gold bug by Edgar Allan Poe get a 7/10 stars.
Manuel Alfonseca
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ENGLISH: This short story is much less gruesome than most stories by Poe. It's also my favorite. When I was a boy, it gave me my initiation to the science of cryptography. Together with one of my mates, also interested in the subject, we sent to one another cryptic messages without the key, for the other one to decipher them. It was great fun.

ESPAÑOL: Este cuento es mucho menos truculento que la mayor parte de los cuentos de Poe. También es mi favorito. Cuando era niño, fue mi introducción a la
Stacia
This version is actually a collection of three short stories by Poe: "The Gold Bug", "The Sphinx", and "William Wilson". I enjoyed all three, especially "William Wilson" (which, to me, had the most ominous undertones). "The Gold Bug" was more entertaining (and funny) than I anticipated. I'm familiar with both Charleston and Sullivan's Island, so it made the story even more interesting.
Dimitra
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe
I will say what I always say about Poe, no matter which of his stories/poems I read...
Poe is an artist! Poe is unique!
Poe is mysterious! Poe is scary!
Poe is Poe!!! <3 And I love him!!!
All of his stories and poems give you the chills and you just can't stop reading!!!
If you haven't read any of his work...please do a gift to yourself and go read some!!!
Chris
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books
Neat short story. Poe manages to make you unsettled describing the most basic aspects of everyday life. Interesting and early depiction of cryptography and cipher (certainly among the first in literature).
Marija
It was ok. I would have liked it more if it weren't for the n-word. That made me very uncomfortable.
Isaac Cooper
Well, I read this to the end, so that’s something. This is my first Poe and, surprise, it wasn’t terrible! The Gold Bug is a short novella/story, quite short indeed, about a treasure hunt, I suppose you’d say? But there isn’t much treasure hunting, really, but it’s the main focus of the story, the treasure. I enjoyed the first three quarters of The Gold Bug, seeing the narrator and his eccentric friend (and his ‘negro,’ Jupiter, who, by the way, has some of the worst ‘black writing’ I’ve ever se ...more
Pam
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I first read The Gold Bug several years ago, when I was only about ten years old, maybe even younger. I remember making -- or more accurately, trying to make -- my own treasure map and riddle after I finished it. At that time, I didn't know who Edgar Allan Poe was, but I decided after reading this story that he is a brilliant writer. I can see now that The Tell-Tale Heart is better written, words- and tone-wise, but The Gold Bug was what made me like Poe as a writer. No doubt, The Gold Bug stren ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »