Start by marking “El escarabajo de oro” as Want to Read:
El escarabajo de oro

El escarabajo de oro

El escarabajo de oro (t�tulo original en ingl�s: The Gold Bug) es uno de los cuentos m�s conocidos del escritor estadounidense Edgar Allan Poe, publicado por primera vez en junio de 1843, en el Philadelphia Dollar Newspaper, despu�s de que Poe ganase un concurso de relatos cortos convocado por el propio peri�dico, que adem�s estaba premiado con 100 d�lares. Su lenguaje es ...more
Published March 9th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 13th 1842)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

"The Gold-Bug," written in 1843, was one of Edgar Allen Poe's most popular stories. He actually won a $100 prize for it in a newspaper's writing contest, probably the most he was ever paid for any of his works. It tells the story of William Legrand, who finds and deciphers an old parchment with a hidden message that leads to a pirate's buried treasure -- thus taking advantage of the 19th century public's enthusiasm for both cryptography and buried treasure.

The cipher on the parchment is a relati
Ivan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this I finish all notable works of Edgar Allan Poe and conclude my field trip into late Gothic/early horror. Works of Poe along with Algeron Blackwood remains one of the highlights of that excursions. I plan to go for another round some time in future as well as into more modern horror but not for some time.
Zenki the Hermit
IDEAL READER’S PROFILE

Profession: Piracy
Favorite Animal: Haunted beetles.
Creativity: Very insecure with own drawings.
Greatest Strength: Can easily climb tulip trees.
Fatal Flaw: Doesn’t know where left eye is.
Sixth Sense: Can spot hidden drawings in parchment.
Greatest Achievement: Buried treasure up a hill and then murdered two companions
Vanessa J.
3.5 out of 5 stars

This is a story about a treasure hunt that starts with finding a gold beetle, and proceeds from there with adventure and ciphers and ingenious explanations.

The narrator is the usual nameless/faceless one that appears in most of Poe's stories. This time, though, he's not unreliable.

Truly recommended for fans of Poe and/or short stories.
Brian
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
E.A. Poe: the original virtual reality.

I'm On the road to becoming a Poe fanatic. This guy is so freaking cool! (Please forgive me for falling into my lazy thinking vernacular.)

A man finds a golden bug and goes mad, while his doctor and slave try to help him.

This offers a pirates puzzle and explains the resolution. Is Poesque a word? I want to use it.

Poe makes me forget the world around me and literally live life in the story. He has serious power, intellect and skill.

Wow. *sighs* Here we go. Fi
Connie G
The title, "The Gold Bug", has a double meaning in this story about a gold colored large bug found on Sullivan's Island, and also a treasure hunt for gold. The narrator's friend, William Legrand, seems a bit strange and possibly ill at first, but we find out that he has been using his strong deductive skills.
Exina
The Gold Bug tells the adventure of Mr. William Legrand, a recluse and entomologist, who finds a gold bug which eventually leads him to a buried treasure of pirates.

He had hunted down and secured, with Jupiter's assistance, a scarabaeus which he believed to be totally new, but in respect to which he wished to have my opinion on the morrow.
"And why not tonight?" I asked, rubbing my hands over the blaze, and wishing the whole tribe of scarabaei at the devil.

The narrator is very skeptical, and d
Orient
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pirates :)

"The Gold Bug" is a nice short treasure hunt with a great introduction to cryptography and codebreaking. It definitely tickled my curiosity and I tried to decipher the code.

Though this book was a little bit bitter due to the racism, shown to the black servant.
Quirkyreader
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had a very interesting plot.
A. Dawes
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A little more dated than some of other Poe's tales. It involves a bug bite (and potential madness) and a cryptogram. Not a storyline that did much for me personally.
Benjamin Stahl
The first time I read this, I thought it was very boring. Having just read it again, in my epic journey to read every single goddamned thing that Poe has ever written - (I shall be married with kids by the time I am finished; or, more likely, rotting beneath an unmarked grave as all my friends go on without realizing I'm even dead) - I guess I enjoyed the story a little bit more. But hell, by the time I finished it, I think I basically had the same impressions. I give it for credit for making se ...more
Walter Mendoza
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Gold-Bug is a masterpiece of deductive mystery story of Edgar A. Poe. The story takes place on Sullivan's Island about Captain Kidd's buried treasure and a parchment like a key, with an amazing cryptanalysis, and excellent and big final. In conclusion a book I Recommend.
A.N. Mignan
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A pun that leads us to a hidden treasure and to the early (earliest?) use of a cypher. A classic from Poe; the golden scarab reminded me of Guillermo del Toro's Cronos movie; there was everything to make it a great story... Unfortunately the 19th century style and anticlimactic structure spoiled my enthusiasm for it.
☯Emily
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ☯Emily by: NYU course
Just an average Poe story about a hidden treasure. It is absurd and ridiculous, but I still read it to the end. However, I am wondering what happened to the treasure. (view spoiler)
Aeroniel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! But, I mean, has Poe even written anything that isn't?
Dimitra
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe
I will say what I always say about Poe, no matter which of his stories/poems I read...
Poe is an artist! Poe is unique!
Poe is mysterious! Poe is scary!
Poe is Poe!!! <3 And I love him!!!
All of his stories and poems give you the chills and you just can't stop reading!!!
If you haven't read any of his work...please do a gift to yourself and go read some!!!
Marija
It was ok. I would have liked it more if it weren't for the n-word. That made me very uncomfortable.
Isaac Cooper
Well, I read this to the end, so that’s something. This is my first Poe and, surprise, it wasn’t terrible! The Gold Bug is a short novella/story, quite short indeed, about a treasure hunt, I suppose you’d say? But there isn’t much treasure hunting, really, but it’s the main focus of the story, the treasure. I enjoyed the first three quarters of The Gold Bug, seeing the narrator and his eccentric friend (and his ‘negro,’ Jupiter, who, by the way, has some of the worst ‘black writing’ I’ve ever se ...more
Pam
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I first read The Gold Bug several years ago, when I was only about ten years old, maybe even younger. I remember making -- or more accurately, trying to make -- my own treasure map and riddle after I finished it. At that time, I didn't know who Edgar Allan Poe was, but I decided after reading this story that he is a brilliant writer. I can see now that The Tell-Tale Heart is better written, words- and tone-wise, but The Gold Bug was what made me like Poe as a writer. No doubt, The Gold Bug stren ...more
Stacia
This version is actually a collection of three short stories by Poe: "The Gold Bug", "The Sphinx", and "William Wilson". I enjoyed all three, especially "William Wilson" (which, to me, had the most ominous undertones). "The Gold Bug" was more entertaining (and funny) than I anticipated. I'm familiar with both Charleston and Sullivan's Island, so it made the story even more interesting.
Janith Pathirage
This is my favorite Edgar Allan Poe story. This is not a horror story and I almost felt like reading a Shirlock Holmes adventure. William Legrand is such a genius. I really enjoyed the methods he used to find the golden bug, that actually is the icing to this story. A very good rainy night read.
Harry Doble
A story of a peculiar treasure hunt. It is one part adventure and one part detective mystery, and features one of the most convoluted summations I have ever read. The depiction of the black character Jupiter is problematic to say the least.
Carly Ellen Kramer
I'm giving this 5 stars because I felt compelled to read it a second time and later even a third time. It's such a STRANGE story... superbly written as I would expect from Poe, but strange, strange, strange!
Ani
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poe is great as always!
Mary Kelly
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and interesting, but very un-Poe-like. There was no lurking horror. I did enjoy the joke at the end.
Realini
The Gold-Bug by Edgar Alan Poe

Edgar Alan Poe struck me as a strange writer, when I had the first chance to read the first of his stories, some thirty years ago.
In one of these tales, the main personage is sailing on a boat, but has these continuous nightmares wherein he is buried alive, by mistake.
I am not sure of the medical condition of Poe, but he seems to have suffered from an anxiety. He feared that he would suffer an attack of epilepsy-I think it might have been – and presumed dead, they w
Stephen
Jul 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Allen Poe’s “The Gold Bug” is set on Sullivan’s Island in South Carolina. He had spent a portion of his short military career at Fort Moultrie on the island that overlooks Charleston Harbor and knew the location well. It served as atmosphere for this exotic tale of buried treasure, secret messages and gold beetles that look like human skulls.

So what better place for me to read the short work? I spent two weeks on Sullivan’s Island and nearby Isle of Palms, which is where I bought and read
Denise
This was a great short story. I'd heard and seen it in different forms, but reading it was special, and I learned something. I would bet that I could now solve a cryptogram puzzle thanks to the detailed lesson in the book! To add to the entertainment value, I listened to the text to speech Kindle option as I read along, and it was a laugh hearing Jupiter's lines. Not bad, the pirate angle, too. Pirates, code cracking, Poe- what could be better? I know it sounds like I am being facetious, but I r ...more
Greg Kerestan
This novella finds Poe attempting to tie together two of his pet genres- the "tale of deduction" and the "burlesque comedy." The deductive portion is fairly successful, although Poe dilutes it by having the action occur offstage and be explained, unlike the more active Dupin stories; however, the comedy is based around a burlesque slave named Jupiter whose minstrel show antics border on Jar Jar Binks territory. All in all, not a terrible failure, but far from Poe's best work.
Lou
This short story was very "short" for me. I loved the explanation about the cryptography and how was discovered the secret treasure of Captain Kidd. Only it seemed too short and with an abrupt end because it doesn't mention what happens after share the treasure, but I loved the story from beginning to end. It was pretty entertaining.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 13 Jul 14, 2019 12:16AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct author (solved) 3 12 Apr 04, 2017 11:59PM
Gothic Literature: The Gold-Bug by Edgar Allen Poe 1 13 May 22, 2013 08:56AM

• Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume III
  • The Sea Raiders
  • Crawling Chaos: Selected Works 1920-1935
  • Die Teufelskralle (Sherlock Holmes Chronicles 24)
  • The Wrong Box
  • Uncle Remus
  • The Judgement and In the Penal Colony
  • Hunter Quatermain's Story: The Uncollected Adventures of Allan Quatermain
  • A Retrieved Reformation
  • The Spy's Bedside Book
  • Մեծապատիվ մուրացկաններ
  • Սեվանի Ափին  (At the shores of Sevan)
  • The Black Cat and Other Stories
  • The Sphinx Without a Secret
  • The Deceivers
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 2: Torn and Frayed
“You will observe that the stories told are all about money-seekers, not about money-finders.” 21 likes
“...If you do not take it up with you in some way, I shall be under the necessity of breaking your head with this shovel” 16 likes