Start by marking “Hidden” as Want to Read:
Hidden

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Hidden

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  16,455 ratings  ·  1,383 reviews
While walking home from work one evening, Jeff Manning is struck by a car and killed. Two women fall to pieces at the news: his wife, Claire, and his co-worker Tish. Reeling from her loss, Claire must comfort her grieving son as well as contend with funeral arrangements, well-meaning family members, and the arrival of Jeff’s estranged brother, who was her ex-boyfriend. Tis ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by Lake Union Publishing (first published June 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden, please sign up.
Meredith If they're incredibly mature yes.

If they're incredibly mature yes.

But it's definitely an adult book for adults. There's swearing, sexual "themes," (whatever that means when people say it) alcohol, etc.
Sooooo probably NOT for middle schoolers.(less)

·  16,455 ratings  ·  1,383 reviews

Catherine McKenzie
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My new book - coming in June ...
Ana
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I honestly don't know.
Shelves: annoying, just-ok
It took me 3 days to decide to review this book for two big reasons: 1.) I liked it on some level and I didn't want to be harsh. 2.) I honestly don't enjoy offending people and in this case authors because writing a book is fucking hard.

That said, I just had to review this because 3 days later, it still managed to irritate the hell out of me and I don't feel comfortable when I don't review books that affected me.

Warning: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.

The Bad:

Characters

Where do I even start? I hate
Ashley
Jun 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed by this book. I loved McKenzie's first three books and read it despite thinking that the concept seemed a little boring and done compared to her previous novels. Man dies, wife and mysterious other woman left in his wake. I figured in McKenzie's hands, this tired concept would take on new life. It did not.

What I found unforgivable was how completely indistinct the three narrators are. She tells each character's part of the story with identical voices. Sometimes it took me a
Lisa Brackmann
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In some ways, Catherine McKenzie's fourth novel, HIDDEN, resembles a mystery. It's a story about a relationship triangle, between Jeff, the husband whose unexpected death tears out the hearts of two women: his wife, Claire, and Tish, the co-worker with whom he had an intense bond -- but what exactly was its nature?

In HIDDEN, the mystery is not "who dunnit" but why, and even, what did they do, exactly? One result is that like a suspenseful mystery, it's a compulsive page-turner.

McKenzie handles
Wendy
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb-16
Hidden is my first novel by Catherine McKenzie. It was thought provoking and well-written.
Jeff Manning is suddenly killed and leaves two women devastated. One, his wife Claire who is left to struggle with this unimaginable loss and the other, Jeff's co-worker Tish who not only has to hide her grief but is faced with hiding her secret before anyone discovers it.
Narrated by three different characters, at times, I was confused as to who was speaking. Other than that I truly felt connected to the ch
Erin
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-borrowed

Montreal writer, Catherine McKenzie tells a great yarn and Hidden is no exception. Although I had an inkling about what would be the big revelation, I couldn't turn away from the pages and felt the book was highly intriguing. Despite the fact that the story is a slowburn, the three person narrative of the husband, wife, and a female friend that might have been more kept me turning the pages.
Julie
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hidden by Catherine McKenzie is a Lake Union publishing 2014 release.

Claire and Jeff have a pretty good marriage up until Claire has an unplanned pregnancy and a miscarriage which sends her into a tailspin. She makes some pretty drastic changes in her life and her marriage begins to slip away bit by bit. But, things had gotten back on a more equal footing until Jeff is killed in an accident and a young woman he worked with attends his funeral leaving Claire with an uneasy feeling.

The story take
When it comes to cheating, there are varying opinions on whether you should break your partner's heart by coming clean or keep it to yourself and allow guilt to be your isolating punishment. I say it depends. Is cheating a chronic issue for you? That needs to be discussed. Have you put your partner at risk of an STD? That absolutely needs to be discussed. Other than that? Just don't. At least don't if the only reason is to relieve yourself of guilt because that makes you an @sshole. You've broug ...more
Darlene
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have long been a fan of Catherine McKenzie. From her very first book she captivated my interest and has held it since with three more books including her newest entitled Hidden which releases tomorrow. Hidden takes us into the lives of husbands, wives, maybe mistresses, and all the things that make up the lives we live each day. It is a very real and honest novel that is raw and emotional and is a change from her previous novels that always seemed to have a funny side to them. Hidden shows jus ...more
Lisa
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: about-women
This is not REALLY a spoiler review, but it's an opinion heavy review, in which spoilers maaaay be read from between the lines, maybe. I would not call it a spoiler review, but if you want to go into this one COMPLETELY green, then you may want to skip this review just to be on the safe side.

This is a tough one to rate. I kept waiting for the moment when all hell would break loose, but it just wasn't a hell-breaking-loose kind of book. Everything kind of rolled leisurely to light. However it did
Erin Clemence
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to Catherine McKenzie’s “Hidden” by way of a Facebook book group (because it clearly gets no more “book nerd” than that). McKenzie is a well-published Canadian author that I have somehow managed to overlook in all of my years of reading.
In “Hidden”, a man is killed in a car accident, leaving behind a wife and son. But then there is also “Tish”, a “co-worker” and “friend” of the man, who has her own secrets to tell. But what secrets? And what will she tell? And how will this aff
Ronak Gajjar
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love - One emotion, that makes us or breaks us. I always found it as delusional emotion where somethings wait everything isn't justified ever. We love once, others are just I guess compromises. I think a person falling in love twice like Jeff are luckiest ones ever found.
Clarie - I disliked her at certain points when she tries to prove her point confronting the people but maybe that was inevitable for her peace of heart.
Tish - Only words I have for her is she kept her promise, saving many heart
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This was good, but like others I felt this story line of a dead guy, his wife and his lover has been written about to death. The characters were kind of lacking and I felt when I was reading the two ladies tell there story it felt kind of the same. I didn't particularly like the writing style but it was a good late night insomnia read.
Jenna
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and New Harvest for the advanced copy.

When Jeff Manning is killed in a freak accident on his way home from work, not only does his wife (Claire) and son feel the impact, but there is another woman who feels the loss as well. Tish, a co-worker of Jeff's, who he has formed a bond with that exceeds the relationship limits of most co-workers, is trying to cope with his death in her own way.

This story is told from three points-of-view: Jeff, Claire, and Tish. This allowed me to sn
Rossy
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
At first, it was kind of a drag to be reading this, but as the story progressed, I felt really intrigued.
Great plot, but the characters didn't win my heart. They were so real but so plain sometimes, that I couldn't help it. I liked Claire over Tish, of course.
The story is told from the POV of the three main characters, the love triangle, and you have to get to the end to figure out what the mystery is.
Melissa
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

“One minute doesn’t erase a thousand.”

From the first chapter of Hidden, I was hooked. Catherine McKenzie’s writing grabbed me, held on tight and made me wonder all along - did it really happen? Did Tish and Jeff betray Brian and Claire? Infidelity isn’t an easy thing to read about, but this story was so well written, emotional and thought-provoking.

Naturally, Claire is devastated when she unexpectedly loses her husband, Jeff. With the help of her family she tries to pull things togethe
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
"But, of course, everyone has regrets. Loose ends. Things they could do if they had more time." (Hidden, ebook pg 103)

Catherine McKenzie has spun a tale that is still resonating with me. She wrote what is was like to have to face a loss and to make life work under a new and uncarted set of circumstances. When Claire loses her husband, Jeff, expectedly her life is turned upside down. But, when she has an encounter with one of Jeff's co-worker at Jeff's funeral her life takes another unexpected de
Killua
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Zoe
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hidden is a gripping, inticate novel that delves into the complexities of marriage and the underlying secrets that impact them.
Tracey Graves
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Catherine McKenzie so I was thrilled to receive an ARC of Hidden. I love multiple points of view, and Catherine does a great job maintaining distinct narrative voices. Hidden is a compelling novel and I couldn't wait to turn the pages. It's heartbreakingly honest and real, and it's a wonderfully relatable tale.

Judy Collins
My first book by Catherine McKenzie, an exceptional writer, and look forward to reading more of her books. Very intriguing . . .

While there are mixed reviews about HIDDEN, a compelling read, told through the three voices of Jeff, Tish, and Claire – the author does a fantastic job of leaving a lot to the reader’s imagination, with the building of tension throughout, flawed and messy lives, with real choices – raw emotions, making this an ideal book for discussions and book clubs with many takes,
Allie Larkin
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting, beautiful and completely compelling. Catherine McKenzie deftly navigates the complicated nature of love, grief, truth and the places they hold in our lives. Catherine's books are always a must read and Hidden should be at the top of your list.
Luanne Ollivier
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Canadian author Catherine McKenzie from book one. She's just released her fourth book - Hidden. I never know what to expect when I start one of her books - all four have been completely different reads. What I do know is that I'm going to enjoy it.

What if you died unexpectedly? What if there were secrets you were keeping? What would happen then....

"...we all lie about things. Little things, big things. We all keep stuff hidden. And the longer you're with someone, the more stuf
Theresa Alan
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the things that’s compelling about McKenzie’s work is that each book is distinct from her others. They are all unique. What’s unique about this story isn’t simply that it alternates points of view between different characters—lots of novels do that—but that one of the narrators, Jeff, is killed in chapter one, yet he continues throughout the book to be a narrator. His part of the story helps explain why it’s not just his wife, Claire, who is grieving, but a coworker who lives a few hours ...more
Melissa
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought that Hidden was very well written. It was easy to get into the minds of all the characters involved, even when I didn't agree with what they were doing. There were times I almost forgot I was reading a book because it felt so honest and genuine with realistic settings and dialogue. I kept wondering what would happen next and Catherine threw in some twists throughout. The ending felt anticlimactic, but the story was still powerful and intense. I never condone cheating, whether it is phy ...more
phyllis frosst
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have been a fan of Catherine McKenzie since I first read Spin. I was surprised to find that her latest, "Hidden" diverges from her first three novels, but delighted to find that it improves an already great body of work. Hidden has multiple narrators, and the narratives move forward chronologically although not simultaneously. It's wonderful. The flow of the book is steady, you become engrossed in the characters, and then the plot turns and twists as you race to the finish, staying up way too la ...more
Esil
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been eying Catherine Mackenzie's books for some time and have been wanting to read her. This is her latest and the first I have read. I loved the writing style -- very direct, engaging and presenting quirky perpectives on ordinary situations. I also really liked the three interconnected points of view -- including Jeff's after death point of view. The plot itself -- including the tense secret that is only revealed at the end -- did not feel particularly novel. But the other good qualities ...more
Karen
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A solid 4 stars! Catherine McKenzie is an amazing writer. Her characters are extremely realistic, the storylines are edgy and her execution is perfect. I was a little apprehensive at first about reading this book because of the three person narration, the past to present then back and forth timeline and the subject matter. I saw two ways the book could have ended and was so hoping for the other, but, I still really enjoyed the book.
Catherine McKenzie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hidden is out in German! Check it out ....
Allison
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really compellingly written...with an ending I did not see coming at all. (And it's hard to surprise me!)
  • The Search Angel
  • The Fable of Bing
  • Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)
  • Studio Saint-ex
  • A Simple Thing
  • Why Can't I Be You
  • The Shortest Way Home
  • The Banks of Certain Rivers
  • Seduction (Reincarnationist, #5)
  • The Doctor and the Diva
  • The Last Will of Moira Leahy
  • Glow
  • The Theory of Opposites
  • Kitchen Chinese: A Novel About Food, Family, and Finding Yourself
  • By Fire, By Water
  • The Wednesday Daughters
  • Real Happy Family
  • Empress of the Night: A Novel of Catherine the Great (Catherine, #2)
Catherine McKenzie was born and raised in Montreal, Canada. A graduate of McGill in History and Law, Catherine practices law in Montreal. An avid runner and skier, she's the author of numerous bestsellers including HIDDEN, FRACTURED and THE GOOD LIAR. Her works have been translated into multiple languages.

HIDDEN was a #1 Amazon bestseller and a Digital Bookworld bestseller for five weeks. SMOKE wa
“One minute doesn’t erase a thousand.” 8 likes
“I don’t need my heart anymore, you can have it. Cut it out, put it in a box, bury it in the hard ground, next to you. My eyes are useless too. They only show me a world without you. Color blind, color absent, colorless. And my mind screams, Not fair! Not right. Not what I was promised on the swing set as you pushed me toward the sun. None of the stories you read me schooled me for this. I didn’t learn this lesson in the moon, or on the train, or as a thing to be curious about. So I don’t need my heart anymore, you can have it. Let it be buried, in the hard ground, next to you.” 8 likes