Start by marking “Chesca and the Spirit of Grace” as Want to Read:

Chesca and the Spirit of Grace

A story of love and land, of winning friendships and having the courage to believe in your dreams.

11-year-old Chesca O'Brien, Howth's greatest (and only) Trick Rider plans to ride Malley, the farm's wild stallion, and put on a show no one will forget - especially show jumping champion, Mary Murphy.

But then her Ma gets sick and Da stops talking, which leaves the farmyard wi
Published November 3rd 2013 by Sleigh Farm Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Chesca and the Spirit of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chesca and the Spirit of Grace

Start your review of Chesca and the Spirit of Grace
Alex
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The main character is so love-able, makes me wish I was her. She's a dreamer and even though she thinks that no one understands her, except for her animal friends, she learns that she has a lot more friends than she thought. She learns to fight for family and gains her courage.

Oh and one more thing. I really like the cover. I never really noticed covers before, and wasn't sure why book-tubers would go on and on about the cover of a book... but this cover is really cute
Jason Flood
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Captivating tale with engaging characters, and set in the charming Irish countryside. A very entertaining read for kids of all ages! Highly recommended!
Clare O'Beara
A girl, a horse and the magical Irish countryside; what more do you need for a great story? CHESCA AND THE SPIRIT OF GRACE grabs our affection immediately and whisks us off to Howth harbour on the east coast of Ireland, north of Dublin. Chesca O'Brien has learned to understand what her animal friends say - so much so, that she doesn't want human pals.

Malley the lead stallion is fond of Chesca but her dairy-farming father won't let the girl ride such a strong spirited horse. Chesca's favourite s
J
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chesca and the Spirit of Grace, by Lara O’Brien is about Chesca, an 11-year-old girl who lives in Howth, a town in Ireland, and loves to ride horses. Her mom becomes ill and her father is so worried he stops talking. Then, her mean aunt who is in love with a developer tries to convince Chesca’s parents to sell their farm to make him happy. Since her mom is ill and her dad stops talking, it is up to Chesca to save her beloved home. She does this by putting on a show about Grace O’Malley, Ireland’ ...more
Dawn
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends, family and homeschoolers
Recommended to Dawn by: mother
Chesca and the Spirit of Grace

Chesca is original, fun, inspiring, and well written; with a strong girl character. My children begged me to read more!
Chesca is a very spirited girl with the ability to talk to animals. She is loving, determined and lives life according to her family’s values and beliefs. She isn't afraid to walk to the beat of her own drum. We were inspired by her strength in herself and her belief in those around her. The way Lara O’Brien presents this story it is just a matter o
Amy Reece
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has all of the magic of Charlotte's Web spun with an authentic glimpse into Irish history. The story features a strong minded and independent female character who finds her way through family troubles into an exciting and dramatic conclusion. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys animals, adventure, and an Irish point of view. It was so much fun to read!
Tima
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chesca's biggest dream is to ride Malley, a wild stallion on her family farm. She lives in a magical world of talking animals who are her friends. No one else hears the animals and sometimes Chesca would rather be with the animals than people. But when her small farm in Ireland is threatened and life as she knows it begins to unravel, Chesca must find a way to save her family. Chesca uses the story of the Pirate Queen Grace O'Malley to help her family, her animals, and the farm.

I know I'm an a
Hayden
I would actually rate this book 4.5, but obviously that's not an option on Goodreads. :) This was a very interesting book with a very sweet ending.While reading I noticed there were some typos, but that has nothing to do with the way the author writes. I do wish the author was more descriptive, and their use of words could have been better, but otherwise this is a great book.
Alex P
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about Chesca and her farm animal friends. She's a little weird and talks to her mouse. But it's a very adorable book.
Amelia
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've had this book on my virtual shelves for a while and finally got around to reading it to the kids. It was an enjoyable story and well-suited to reading aloud, too.
Aine Murphy
Apr 04, 2016
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
May 29, 2014
Mandy Richardson
Jan 21, 2014
Lara O'Brien
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Amanda Watson
Kristin
Raymond Stone
Katrina Mcghee
Strong female role models 1 2 Jan 11, 2014 12:10PM
I live on the Island of Martha's Vineyard but was born in Dublin, Ireland. I am an Indie Author and love the word Indie, Independent, not controlled, supported or ruled by others. Although, really, an Indie author has had a lot of support.

I love reading in the stolen minutes, the free time, or me-time, on a winter's night or sunny spring morning, I'll read any free time I get.

I'm part of two group