Start by marking “The Real Cost of Fracking: How America's Shale Gas Boom Is Threatening Our Families, Pets, and Food” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A pharmacologist and a veterinarian pull back the curtain on the human and animal health effects of hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking”

Across the country, fracking—the extraction of natural gas by hydraulic fracturing—is being touted as the nation’s answer to energy independence and a fix for a flagging economy. Drilling companies assure us that the process is safe, polit
Published August 5th 2014 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Cost of Fracking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Cost of Fracking

victor harris
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The reading is a little hard going because there is a great deal of technical analysis but it receives a high grade for exposing fracking in all its horrors. It features a number of interviews with those victimized by the corporate fracking monsters and their allies in government and regulatory agencies as pets, water, and the environment are destroyed all in the name of maximizing profits. Owners who are duped into leasing their land for royalties discover they absorb the long term costs after ...more
Joan
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: environmentalists, public officials, people who may be affected by this.
This spelled out in often painful detail the effects of fracking on neighboring people and animals. Painful detail means difficult to read because unpleasant, not too much detail, although the book, by its nature, is very detailed. This book presents huge amounts of circumstantial evidence that fracking produces huge amounts of poisoning of people and animals resulting in many different diseases, and frequently affecting the reproductive system. Many animals had stillborn offspring or offspring ...more
Julie
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Shale gas drilling and the many faces of interdependence

“The Real Cost of Fracking: How America’s Shale Gas Boom Is Threatening Our Families, Pets, and Food,” by Michelle Bamberger and Robert Oswald, got me thinking about interdependence, the reality that we are all connected through myriad threads, whether we acknowledge it or not. This book is full of gripping stories of people whose lives have been turned upside down by shale gas drilling in their pristine, rural communities.

On one level, it
Aaron
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting perspective

I am not an anti progress anti jobs person. But Ms. Bamberger sheds light on how companies can move mountains yet people can't. Government regulatory requirements exist not to make life difficult but to keep people honest. Pumping chemicals into our ground that will kill us if exposed just doesn't make sense.
Peggy Tibbetts
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In 2012, veterinarian Michelle Bamberger and Cornell University professor of molecular medicine Robert Oswald published their study, “Impacts of Gas Drilling on Human and Animal Health.” Their report documented cases studies with animal owners in Colorado, Louisiana, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas. In 24 cases they found evidence of animals affected by drilling and fracking operations. However their report received little media attention. So they wrote a book.

In “The Real Cost of Frack
Chris Demer
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Written by a veterinarian and a professor of molecular medicine at Cornell, this is a scathing attack on the "fracking" business that has taken over vast swaths of the Marcellus and Utica shale areas in Pennsylvania and New York, as well as several other areas of the country, particularly in the west.
The authors describe the process of shale fracturing to obtain natural gas in some detail. But most of the book develops a picture of the process as it affects the people of the small towns and cou
Colby Glass
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a heartbreaking book to read, but essential. It tells the stories of American families accosted--really invaded--by multinational corporations who are uninterested in human beings or morals and with no allegiance to our country. They poison the environment, in the process making people sick, their animals and pets sick, and pollutiing our food supply. Frequently, they end up killing people and/or animals.

"We learned that our land could be drilled under and the gas extracted without our
Read Ng
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a Goodreads giveaway.

I would be scared of having any drilling next to my property and even more so after reading this book. Unfortunately, it is also a classic story telling of we say this and they say "nothing" and there is not really enough pre site documentation to prove your point. The little guy has been wronged, but they can't prove it and not enough is done to remedy the situation, let alone acknowledge a situation even exists.

The takeaway for me out of this is the proof that u
Nikki
Overall I would consider this in the vein of Erin Brokovich's case(s), albeit this is a more complex situation with even more people being impacted and many more chemicals. The book is not written poorly but it is not written in a terribly inviting way either. I think a layman would be able to digest much of the information but there is a great deal of scientific data, frustratingly much of it repetitive. The individual stories are heartbreaking and unfortunately only the tip of the fracking ice ...more
Roger Swab
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pretty clear who owns the PADER from reading this book! It's amazing how complicit our regulatory people are in car ringing out the orders from big corporate owned American government! Where has the integrity and simply to do the right gone!
Our government is not for the majority but the minority rich in this country!
Regulation and safety are meaningless to corporate oil companies rape and plunder this an every country for oil and gas!
Mike Stolfi
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Never mind living near an extraction industry site & suffering the consequences under a legal structure which indicates why Libertarianism does not work for a society in the real world, now now the proprietary contents of fracking fluids & what else comes up with them will come to us through our supermarkets.
Fan-freaking-tastic.
Karel Baloun
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Glad this was written, as a collection of testaments to the personal cost of fracking done badly. Yet the book was rushed and not carefully crafted.

The echnical summary of how fracking work as an appendix is a good introduction.
Beth Olson shultz
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
A very good book. More people need to read this book. Reading the personal stories of how fracking is impacting people is very eye-opening. Won this book from goodreads.
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
i received this book for free through goodreads first reads.
a little hard to read both because of the way that it is written and because of the hard truth it talks about.
Helena
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. It sheds light on various aspects of a huge environmental threat, and people need to learn about this stuff!
Kristen
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
A bit wordy and overly technical at times, but overall very informative.
James Sorensen
Jul 10, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book as part of the Goodreads First-Read program.
Pam Willialms
A bit repetitious. The story all sound the same after a point. But the information made me more aware of what fracking is all about.
Lillian Jones
Jun 28, 2016
MsCarol420
Aug 18, 2014
Suz Wright
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2015
Miolnier
Jan 28, 2016
  • Grass, Soil, Hope: A Journey Through Carbon Country
  • Plastic, Ahoy!: Investigating the Great Pacific Garbage Patch
  • Zombie Makers: True Stories of Nature's Undead
  • The Octopus Scientists: Exploring the Mind of a Mollusk
  • Gerald Durrell: The Authorized Biography
  • Global Weirdness: Severe Storms, Deadly Heat Waves, Relentless Drought, Rising Seas and the Weather of the Future
  • Let There Be Water: Israel’s Solution for a Water-Starved World
  • The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: Dispatches from the Front Lines
  • Coral Reefs
  • Oil and Honey: The Education of an Unlikely Activist
  • The Weather of the Future: Heat Waves, Extreme Storms, and Other Scenes from a Climate-Changed Planet
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • Pandora's DNA: Tracing the Breast Cancer Genes Through History, Science, and One Family Tree
  • Black Gold: The Story of Oil in Our Lives
  • Eyes Wide Open: Going Behind the Environmental Headlines
  • A Guinea Pig's History of Biology
  • The Dolphins of Shark Bay
  • Cathedrals of Science: The Personalities and Rivalries That Made Modern Chemistry