Start by marking “The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet (A Young Adult Contemporary Novel)” as Want to Read:
The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet (A Young Adult Contemporary Novel)

The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet

(Ellie Sweet #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Ellie Sweet is a lot of things—good girl, novelist, silent adorer of the new boy at school, Palmer. But when “outcast” gets added to the list, she decides it’s time to take reality into her own hands … and tweak it as needed.

Published April 25th 2013 by Playlist Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet

C.G. Drews
I connected with this book on so many levels! (It was awesome and uncanny all at once.) The WHIZZ-POP of this book is: Ellie Sweet is a writer. A book about writing? Not just about the process, but about getting published and querying and agents? Insta-love for me.

First of all: Ellie Sweet. She narrates, with a quirky yet serious voice. I looooved Ellie’s character. (She reminded me of…my sister.) She’s serious, studious, intelligent (don’t get a big head, little sis), shy, and totally out-of-t
Libby May
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I wrote the review below this at midnight, so I'm gonna add a couple things this morning. First, the entire book is about Ellie's dating/not dating/wanting to date two different guys. Palmer and Chase. The thing is, it's called a love triangle, but it's not cliche. It's not a love triangle. And if it is, it's really well developed.
Also, when I do age recommendations, you should follow them. I'm pretty serious when I say you shouldn't read something unless your 16 or older, even if my re
Rachelle Cobb
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I Loved

I almost never use the bookmark feature on my Kindle, but I couldn't help but make a note of all the times Stephanie Morrill's Ellie Sweet made me groan or grin. This one made me laugh out loud.

"I turn away and bury my burning face in my math book. Now would be a really good time for the rapture."
- Ellie Sweet

{And you'll just have to read the book to discover what embarrassing moment takes place prior to that stupendous statement.}

That voice is one of the things I like best about th
C.B. Cook
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Holy moly. This book was really good. I enjoyed it so much. The character were interesting, as was the plot, and I loved that Ellie was a writer! The romance wasn't much my style (hence the docked star) but other than that, wonderful!
Katie Grace
Reread this last week when I was sick because I like reading light, fluffy contemporary books when I'm sick.
H.S.J. Williams
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet dropped me into the body of a quiet, writerly high-school girl who sometimes bore such a similarity to myself it was scary, though I do have the great advantage of getting along much better with my family.

The book was highly engaging, creating a character so real I could practically reach through the pages and poke her. Her struggles and frustrations made me ache, and though I loved her, there were so many times when I just wanted to shake some sense into her. Wh
Jill Williamson
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellie is minding her own business in math class when Chase announces to everyone that Ellie has a crush on Parker! How does he even know that when Ellie has told no one? And why would he tell everyone like that? What is the matter with him? Ellie doesn't know, but to help her cope with the drama in her life, Chase gets put into Ellie's novel, along with all her other friends and Parker. Because writing is how Ellie copes with life.

Wonderfully entertaining! I inhaled it. Ellie is an endearing her
Cookielover
Ah, I loved it. The whole book was perfectly written, perfectly paced, suspenseful, exciting, and just--beyond words. This is definitely in the top five best I've read this year...even though its July. The characters made the story. The backstory of Gabrielle's Italian life was perfectly timed every time. This book couldn't have been more perfect if it came with a pack of Oreos. But don't listen just to me gush--read it!
Laura Kurk
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YA author Stephanie Morrill (author of Me, Just Different) captured the true voice of the American teenage girl again in The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet. From the first line, I knew Ellie was a girl I wanted to know yesterday. She's made of stubborn, sprinkled with wryness, and wrapped with heart.

Using the classic literary device of a story within a story, Morrill keeps readers turning pages. We get to live in the contemporary lives of Morrill's high school characters while also traveling back i
Cynthia Marcano
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In the pages of her book, she’s Lady Gabrielle, favorite of the medieval Italian court. Her once-friends are reduced to catty ladies-in-waiting, and the too-charming Palmer—who in real life never spares her a second word—gets to be nothing more than a rake wracked by unrequi
Rosie
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh my goodness. Fans of Stephanie's Skylar Hoyt series, go buy The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet right now!!

I was super excited to be able to review Ellie's story, especially after I enjoyed Skylar's so well. I must confess, Ellie is now my favorite. A introverted teen, who secretly loves to write, finds herself wanting in seemingly everyone's eyes. Including her parents. The way Miss Morrill styled Ellie's character and personality really shines and is attractive, making it easy to like Miss Swee
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellie Sweet is a high school junior who feels like an outcast even with her friends. Instead of trying to fit in, she uses her feelings to fuel her writing.

When she begins pitching her book, reality takes over. As others begin to hear about her work, will her secrets, including her crush on Palmer and her true feelings about her "friends," come out?

I enjoyed this book. Ellie is a good character--a little too good, which makes it fun to watch her fall for the bad boy Chase.

What I liked best was
Heather Manning
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Characters:
I absolutely adored these characters. Ellie Sweet is just like me, so I really connected to her. I'm also a teenage author who got published at age sixteen! So many details in her life were exactly like mine. The author did an excellent job letting the reader understand the mind of a young author.
Chase was a very well-written character. He was the "bad-boy" type, and yet he had many edges like a real person does. I liked him throughout the book, even if I didn't agree with some of
Jillian
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet is the first book in a series of young adult novels. Written from the first person point of view, this novel describes Ellie’s journey through high school and to become a published author. Ellie, an aspiring young author, narrates with such a unique and witty voice that is highly entertaining to read. Ellie’s fresh and youthful views on life make the book even more appealing to the reader.

Personally, I really enjoyed the entire novel. I thought the author did a w
Gillian Bronte Adams
I knew that I would love this book as soon as I saw the tag line: Don’t just get even. Write a novel.

Brilliant, right? And once I started reading, I didn’t want to set it down. I connected with Ellie Sweet right away. She’s clever and quite witty, but unmistakably human. A very real character with real struggles, feelings, and mistakes. By the end of the first chapter, she’d wormed her way into my heart and I felt like I’d known her for a long time.

As a writer, I especially enjoyed Ellie’s journ
Abi  G
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
2.5 out of 5 Stars.
Arlette
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet was the first book of Stephanie Morrill that I've read and I definately liked it. The book shares the life of teen author Ellie who regularly escapes her life by writing a better version of it.

The first thing that I really liked about this book was that it was so easy to relate to. It might be because I like writing myself, but definately also because Stephanie made Ellie or any of the characters so easily relatable. For me Ellie was parts of: the more studying ty
Emii
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet had me smiling so big. No, really -- it was around midnight when my sister looked at me from her bed.

"Are you reading my Facebook messages?"
I kept reading. "No."
"Are you sure? You look really excited."

The story is about this girl, Gabrielle Sweet -- but everyone calls her Ellie. No-one calls her Gabrielle because, according to her parents who had picked out the name before she was born -- she "didn't look right."

Her friends are sort of a hazy confusion right now,
Alexa
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So generally when I take travels to other parts of our contemporary world, I don’t enjoy them as much. I mean, not to say that I dislike contemporaries, cuz that would be totally untrue, but they normally don’t hold the same appeal for me that, say, a fantasy or a sci-fi world does.

Not so with Ellie Sweet.

I LOVED THIS TRIP. By far my favorite one of the summer (besides Hacker). The plot was interesting, the characters’ dynamics were fascinating and engaging when they totally could’ve come off as
Zara Hoffman
Shelves: favorites
Have you ever read a book that resonated with you on a profoundly deep level because, while reading it, you felt as if your life was splayed out before you on the printed page? That's how I felt reading The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet.

Story
Ellie Sweet is your regular high school girl with boy troubles, friend drama, and an imaginative mind. But she’s unique. Why? Because instead of ranting on Facebook, or tweeting cryptic messages, Ellie is using her real life strife as fuel for her historical r
Reaganstar
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet is a fun, witty quick read, that really puts you into the lives of teens these days. From the crush that never really goes anywhere to the crush you never knew about.. this book is a fantastic fun adventure as you follow Ellie going through her life as she tries to make her life happen and her relathionships through it all.

Stephanie made it so easy to relate to Ellie, as a reader and writer myself may have made this easier as well but Ellie as well as the other ch
Katelyn
Ellie is adorable. Absolutely adorable. And she's pretty crazy for naming her friends/characters alike. But, that's Ellie.

This book is fun and light. If you don't want to get into a deep book that forces you to rethink life and everything around it, pick this one up. It's sweet and fun, but it does deal with certain issues. Stereotypes, love triangles, etc.

It's easy to read. I was able to fly through the pages and finish the book in about a day. The characters were fascinating. Each one had thei
JoJo Sutis
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it-2013
Author Stephanie Morrill's latest release THE REVISED LIFE OF ELLIE SWEET is fun, funny and fantastic! I loved so much about this book, it's hard to know where to start... Fun funny main character Ellie Sweet is so endearing and being a lover of books myself and also having dabbled some in writing, I could totally relate to Ellie, her insecurities, her dreams for the future. I love that the author allowed Ellie to be put in some situations that sort of tested her character. And I know book lover ...more
Shannon
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually drawn to contemporary novels, but this one grabbed me and refused to let go. The characters are unique and well-drawn, and the love triangle kept me guessing. I enjoyed every minute of this read.
Krissy Aleman
I devoured this book in one day. I don't think I've ever done that before. Even though Ellie and I are rather different in some ways, I relate to her in so, so many other ways. You know those books that just speak to your soul? This is one of them for me.
Roseanna White
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books of all time. Which is saying something. But I identified completely with Ellie--with her dreams, her fears, her goals. And Stephanie Morrill writes with such wit and sass that I was engaged from page 1!
Sofia Marie
Typical Ellie: I’m ninety-nine percent sure the only reason I’m interested in Palmer Davis is because I know without a doubt I could never have him. “Ellie?” I turn from the doorway— the one Palmer stands in with Diego Ortiz—and face Lucy.

Ellie Sweet is just a usual girl trying to survive high school with her friends. But then those friends decide that they're too cool for her and avoid her. And what's worse is that her secret crush is shouted out for the whole world to hear. Now's the time for
Lacey
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Thoughts:

I had a little difficulty getting into this book from the first page but after a while the writing became addicting and I wasn’t able to easily put down the book. The story was so inspiring and full of emotion that I was easily able to connect to it. I loved reading parts of Ellie’s book she was writing, the author made it so appetizing that I would love to read her book too. So overall I really enjoyed this book and look forward to future works by this author.

Goodreads Summary:

El
Abby
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and fluffy but so fun and easy to read.
Anna Schaeffer
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-book-reviews
The Story:

Ellie’s philosophy: When life gives you lemons for friends, use them as ingredients for a Sweet story.

The story is told from the perspective of Ellie Sweet, a sixteen-year-old dealing with all of the drama, angst, emotions, insecurities, and other fun stuff that come with high school. She’s known for her good-girl, rule-following image. That’s why she’d rather spend her Friday nights at home, secretly working on a novel, than getting involved in the kinds of things her friends call ent
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Glass Girl
  • The New Recruit (The Mission League, #1)
  • The Destiny of One (Destiny Trilogy, #1)
  • Storm (Swipe #3)
  • Between These Lines
  • Swimming Through Clouds
  • The Sweetest Thing
  • The Sound of Diamonds (Steadfast Love, #1)
  • Fly Away Home
  • Chasing Jupiter
  • Wild Cat (Starlight Animal Rescue, #3)
  • Romancing Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #3)
  • All for a Song (All For, #1)
  • Broken Wings
  • Like Moonlight at Low Tide: Sometimes the Current Is the Only Thing That Saves You
  • The Lost Books Box Set (The Lost Books Series, #1-6)
  • I Still Believe: A memoir
  • Dark Halo (Angel Eyes, #3)
Stephanie Morrill is the author of several young adult novels, including the 1920's mystery, The Lost Girl of Astor Street). Despite loving cloche hats and drop-waist dresses, Stephanie would have been a terrible flapper because she can’t do the Charleston and looks awful with bobbed hair. She and her near-constant ponytail live in Kansas City with her husband and three kids. You can learn more ab ...more

Ellie Sweet (2 books)
  • The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet (Ellie Sweet, #2)
“You'll wake up one day and find you're almost forty, and you haven't done any of the things you wanted. That you let in so many voices when you were trying to make decisions, instead of listening to the One voice that mattered, that you never decided anything at all.” 10 likes
“Right? Or is writing like everything else in my life where I don't quite measure up?

Loved, but not quite the Gabrielle they had in mind.

Fine for hanging out and talking with, but not cool enough to include in plans.

'Perfect,' yet not someone to be seen with.

Why did I think writing would be any different?”
4 likes