Start by marking “Plus One: Finding God on the Yoga Mat” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Plus One: Finding God ...

Cori Martinez

Plus One: Finding God on the Yoga Mat

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  54 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A beautiful and relatable debut memoir of a woman who-while vehemently avoiding the idea of God under all circumstances-finds herself passionately inspired by the higher power she discovers on a yoga mat. As she keeps digging- through marriage, new motherhood, business ownership, plus practicing and teaching yoga herself-she is surprised to find a deep affection and experi ...more
Published November 12th 2013 by Marlo Books

To ask other readers questions about Plus One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plus One

really liked it 4.00  ·

Michelle
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga-memoir
I enjoy yoga - practicing it, reading about it, and reading about people's experience with it. I wanted to like this book, since it is supposedly a yoga memoir.

The biggest problem with this book is that it rambles. It's hazy. The author writes about experiences with this vague and hazy, "as I recall" attitude, as if she's telling you about her dreams - incidents and memories that dreamlike and gauzy. There's no energy in her writing. It's not gripping or engaging.

It's more like a book of essay
Terri Thacker
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I connected to Cori's journey as she moved from childhood to motherhood. Her memoir is both honest and brave. As she told her story, I connected to her vulnerability, related to her moments of doubt and celebrated her successes. Well done Cori. I am looking forward to more books on my shelf by Cori Martinez.
Patsy
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this book down! I read it in two sittings as the content grabbed me and wouldn’t let me go. Cori Martinez tells a story of her life, in the most honest way. She doesn’t over exaggerate, and she is gut-wrenching honest. She speaks about very personal events in her life and throughout the book, she weaves in some personal amends. I don’t know if she had personally done this to everyone she speaks of in her story, but if I were one of her characters, I would truly be touched. I am in ...more
Amanda
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love memoirs. This one definitely touched my heart and I felt a lot of alignment with Cori's story around how we can connect with God in a practice like yoga ("Union with God"), sometimes when we least expect it (or try to avoid it). Her vulnerability, courage, and honesty were shown throughout the book--in an inspiring and beautiful way. And connecting with her painful experiences was heart-opening for me. I love that she talks about Byron Katie, as her work was also life-changing for me.

I tr
Lauren
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Cori was my yoga teacher. When I went looking for a "slow" yoga class a few years ago, I didn't know I would find a version of yoga that I love, embark on a yoga teacher training, and learn how to see my "thoughts" as separate from myself.

When I saw that Cori wrote a book, I knew I'd read it.

This heart-felt, and sometimes painfully (and amusingly) honest memior brings to life the ideas and feelings that I experienced as Cori's student. The spiritual wisdom, the method for finding peace in every
Kelly
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to re-read right away!

Great book, not what I expected. Less about God and more about life and our connection with each other. Some of it seemed as if she had taken the thoughts right from my mind. A definite recommendation for all yogis, open-minded religious & nonreligious people!
Mary Davenport
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Compelling...though the afterward reduced that quite a bit.
Erin
Jun 02, 2014
Lexi's Cryptic Enigma
Feb 28, 2014
Bridget
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2018