Start by marking “The Lake House Secret (A Jenessa Jones Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lake House Secret (A Jenessa Jones Mystery, #1)

The Lake House Secret (Jenessa Jones Mystery #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,534 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
With her life going from bad to worse, reporter Jenessa Jones is drawn back to her small hometown by a death in her family. When human remains are discovered not far from town, Jenessa is assigned the story, throwing her into the thick of town drama.

Caught between her old boyfriend, with whom she shares a sordid past, and her new love interest, who offers her something she
Published October 17th 2013 by Lake House Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lake House Secret, please sign up.

Sara James The Stone House Secret - Book 2
The Boat House Secret - Book 3

Renee
Oct 30, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big Debra Burroughs fan. When I read Three Days in Seattle, I knew I stumbled on to something really good. This book has the romantic suspense theme that I love. I am also one of the stars. I am Aunt Renee! Yup that is me. I am so happy I won that contest Anyways enough of my babbling.

The story starts out creating the love I had for Jenessa. She has a bad day, she gets the lay off speech at work, goes home to see a 3 day eviction notice and then hears her Dad has had a heart attack and h
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
Debra Burroughs is a new author to me. Her husband is our realtor and she gave me a copy of this book to read and review. Since I had not read any of Debra's books I had no idea what I was getting in to.
Debra creates great, three dimensional characters. The plot doesn't lack, it moves at a steady pace, which keeps you turning pages.
This book is her newest release and is the beginning of a new series. If you enjoy good romantic suspense this is definitely a book for you.
Recommended!
Mandy Crider
Jul 20, 2015 Mandy Crider rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Great read and had me on my toes until the end!
Lynnette
Aug 13, 2016 Lynnette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so much fun to discover a new writer, and Debra Burroughs will definitely be on my watch list from now on!

The characters were engaging....and the pieces of each back story tied in neatly, even if they weren't always the way you wanted them to actually end up unfolding. I found the character dialogue to be realistic and appropriate as well.

While the premise was suspenseful, I found the story to cling to more traditional mystery lines, with a touch of romance that didn't detract from the sto
Victoria Knight
Feb 20, 2015 Victoria Knight rated it it was amazing
A must

Romance is not my type of book, investigative mysteries are, so I didn't know how I would like it. I'm really glad that I read The Lake House Secret. It had everything and the mystery was a real surprise. I also like the fact that Debra kept it clean with no cussing or mushy sex.
It was well written without spelling or grammatical errors and I loved the characters.
I would recommend this book to everyone and I really want to read more of Debra Burrough's books.
Mary Schildman
Feb 23, 2015 Mary Schildman rated it it was amazing
Grabbed me !

Somehow the book grabbed me and I didn't stop reading until the end. All the characters are interesting and the plot was great. Light, gentle romance, family dynamics, and friendship builds a great background for the mystery. Looking forward to book number 2.
Nancy
Nov 04, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it
3.5
Sarah(All The Book Blog Names Are Taken)
This is better than some of the other 'cozy mysteries' i've read so far in an effort to catch up on my Goodreads challenge, because I'm currently behind by 40 books and stories like these are light and easy fluff that I can breeze through quickly.

The main character wasn't terribly unlikable, but she sure did bust out a lot of her best friend's business without telling her best friend first. If I were that friend, I'd be kind of pissed. And since when do reporters run investigations? I mean techn
Cynthia
Dec 28, 2016 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Great mystery! Great romance! Great read!

Jenessa Jones is a new favorite series. At first I had a hard time getting into the story line because it was hard for me to put her as a 29yo woman with the flashbacks to her high school years and her sometimes less than mature attitude. However by the end of the book I had decided she's finally grown up and is doing great detective work as a reporter. Normally not fond of reporters but I like this one so far. Now on to the next book in the series!
JoyAnna
Dec 01, 2016 JoyAnna rated it it was amazing
First book in a series & loved it!!!

Been looking for a new series to get interested in & I found it!! Have never read this author before but I am off to Amazon to purchase Book 2. Great mixture of murder, mystery and romance with small town characters harboring small town secrets. Throw in an old lover who is still in love with our main character & a good looking police detective who's pursuing her as well heck I'm all in!!!!
Liza Fay
Dec 09, 2016 Liza Fay rated it liked it
I greatly enjoyed this first book in the 3 book series. Though the editing on the book is terrible and I've found way too many other types of errors that made the book difficult to read. Besides that, like I said it was entertaining and kept me wanting to keep on reading.

The main character, Jenessa, is likable but changes when her situation in life changes. She's not as likable.

A good, fun mystery if you can look past the poor editing.
Sherry Sheldon
Dec 29, 2016 Sherry Sheldon rated it liked it
It kept my attention

I thought this book was rather basic. Story line was good but the details were somewhat unbelievable. That this young reporter solved a murder that an experienced detective could not, is a stretch. And boy oh boy does she share her theories with everyone. Not what I suspect a good reporter does until facts are proven. I bought three books in the series so I will see how they fare.
Donna Engler
Nov 28, 2016 Donna Engler rated it it was amazing
Well written.

Jenessa returns to her hometown and reconnects with people she went to high school with. She is a journalist and gets overly involved in a possible murder investigation. Is she in over her head or can she actually help solve the mystery? Romantic and believable. Happy ending.
Stacey Wright Aumock
Dec 04, 2016 Stacey Wright Aumock rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016
Eh. Ok book. I did get a bit irritated when the main character - a 29 year old journalist - constantly gave an experienced detective advice. Not terribly realistic. Doubt I will continue with this series
Bonnie J McHugh
Jan 02, 2017 Bonnie J McHugh rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down!

I was kept in suspense to the very end! A very good read. I plan to read more by this author.
Beverley Lombardi
Jan 14, 2017 Beverley Lombardi rated it did not like it
I stopped reading this because there was more romance than mystery. It reads like a tv movie mystery. If you like romance novels, you will like this.
Dianne Defonce
Dec 22, 2016 Dianne Defonce rated it it was amazing
Great Read!

Loved this book! Characters are all interesting and the plot kept me wanting to keep reading! Cannot wait to read book 2!
Joan Dash
Dec 12, 2016 Joan Dash rated it it was amazing
Loved it.

Kept me wanting to see what would happen. The book flowed. The characters were well developed. Looking forward tobreading the next book.
Kathy
Jan 14, 2017 Kathy rated it really liked it
A good combination of mystery and romance.

The premise of a past event causing long term misery is not new, but the added twist in this story brings it beyond ordinary.
Chrissy Coughlin
Dec 06, 2016 Chrissy Coughlin rated it it was amazing
I liked it a lot and want to read more about Jenessa.
Temperance
Dec 09, 2016 Temperance rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-ebook
very good romantic mystery. I would read others books by this author.
Betty
Jan 16, 2017 Betty rated it it was amazing
Excellent mystery with a touch of romance. Enjoyed it and will read more by this author.
E
Jan 13, 2017 E rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this good romantic mystery! Surprised by this Kindle freebie.
Sharon Binter
Dec 15, 2016 Sharon Binter rated it it was amazing
Good Mystery

If you like mysteries that are fast paced, this book is for you. Jenessa wasn't afraid to ask questions even if it meant antagonizing others. I hated to put this book down
Sjervey
Oct 18, 2016 Sjervey rated it really liked it
A fun mystery. Good characters, well-written. I didn't find the mystery quite as satisfying but I will read more.
Mary
Sep 22, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read

Nicely paced light mystery romance. This story has many interconnected paths. You think you know where the path will end, but another twist. Looking forward to reading another Jenessa Jones mystery.
Jamie Rose
Apr 11, 2016 Jamie Rose rated it did not like it
The Lake House Secret

Meh. This annoyed me on many levels. It's like a tick list of cliches...this might contain spoilers but the story is so lame, I'd prefer to call them warnings.

Nerdy high school buddy turned tall, dark and handsome. And a single superdaddy of a (of course) perfect, well adjusted child with grandparents who happily take the kid every time Daddy wants to have grown up time with pretty lady.

The super hot, rich former boyfriend. Who of course, gives her chills, thrills and zing
Mary B. Grove
Nov 29, 2015 Mary B. Grove rated it liked it
unbelievable relationships and ridiculous plot lines

The main issue with this book for me was how unbelievable almost everything in it was. The main character, Jeanna, is a reporter who goes around spilling confidences right, left and center. She keeps saying "you can't tell anyone this, but did you know that____?" A reporter who can't keep her mouth shut to save her life! The police work hand in glove with this woman, regardless of privacy, legal issues, etc., just because she's useful--apparent
booksthrubifocals
Sep 17, 2015 booksthrubifocals rated it really liked it
Reporter helps police "dig up" truth on cold case

Jenessa who was estranged from her family when one mistake seemed to be the basis for tearing her family apart. She returns home many years later to the small town where she once lived with her family, to attend her father's funeral. After accepting a job with the local newspaper, a body is discovered near to the lake house of an old boyfriend. As she works with police as a crime reporter, romance blooms between her and an old friend from high sch
Debbie Oxier
Jul 21, 2016 Debbie Oxier rated it liked it
This was a nicely written mystery, simple but entertaining. It was a nice start to the series. Jenessa Jones comes home to Hidden Valley to bury her father. When she was seventeen she'd gotten pregnant. Her boyfriend was the son of the wealthiest man in town. He was going to college to play football, to become a star. He didn't want to be saddled with a baby. Jenessa wanted to get married and settle down. But the couple's parents' decided for them that Jenessa should have the baby and then place ...more
  • Wake-Robin Ridge
  • Death Comes eCalling (Molly Masters Mystery #1)
  • Soft Case: A John Keegan Mystery
  • Dead Again
  • Inn Keeping with Murder (Old Maids of Mercer Island)
  • A Dangerous Harbor
  • Primal Obsession
  • Heartless (Derek Cole #1)
  • Skin and Blond (Blond Noir Mysteries, #1)
  • A Smoky Mountain Mystery (Off the Beaten Path #4)
  • Someone Else's Daughter (Miranda's Rights, #1)
  • Just Add Salt (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #2)
  • Stubborn (Stubborn, #1)
  • Identity Thief
  • Antler Dust (The Allison Coil Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Uncharted Territory (Angela Panther, #3)
  • Unwritten Rules
  • More Than Memories
Debra Burroughs writes with intensity and power. Her characters are rich and the stories are full of compelling suspense and real romance. She can be found, most days, sitting in front of her computer in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, dreaming up and writing about strong women, their relationships with men (good and bad), involved in exciting, mysterious, and romantic situations.
More about Debra Burroughs...

Jenessa Jones Mystery (3 books)
  • The Stone House Secret (A Jenessa Jones Mystery #2)
  • The Boat House Secret (A Jenessa Jones Mystery #3)