Start by marking “Partners in Crime” as Want to Read:
Partners in Crime

Partners in Crime

With a personal life falling apart and serious questions about his faith, homicide investigator Jeff Strickland is going through the motions. When he gets the call to examine a body in a garbage-strewn field, he expects it to be another routine murder no one will care about. But to his horror, he

finds that the mutilated victim is the 19-year-old daughter of his long-time f
Published December 17th 2013 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises LLC

To ask other readers questions about Partners in Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Partners in Crime

Kathryn
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This hard-boiled police procedural is set in Atlanta where homicide detective Jeff Strickland finds himself in the unenviable position of having to solve the murder of his friends’ nineteen year-old daughter, Kanya. Along the way “Strick,” who should have recused himself from the case, encounters issues of class, race, faith, politics, betrayal, and his own past while tracking down the brutal murderer of the girl he had once thought of as the daughter he never had. Told by Detective Strickland, ...more
Kizzy Richardson
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Partners in Crime. This mystery packed book is a page turner that I couldn't put down until I finished the entire book! What I like most about Mr. Reid's book is that it wasn't predictable and his writing style displayed the perfect balance of mystery, love and violence without getting too raunchy. If you enjoy a good mystery and love story as I do, I highly recommend this book!
Alysia
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Take a Xanax Before Reading the Last 10 Chapters

If you love the thrill of a good crime story coupled with the voice of an emerging writer, the debut novel “Partners in Crime" by James Reid is sure to impress. I met the author in 2013 through a professional organization we are both members of and I couldn't be happier for him. The plot centers around Jefferson Strickland, an Atlanta-based detective, and the daily shadows of his professional accomplishments and personal shortcomings. As if his lif
Ann Fields
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love a good murder mystery and that is exactly what James Reid has presented to the reading world. An engaging and well-written novel of mystery.

In line with other notable mysteries, the story opens with death. The body of a troubled socialite is discovered in a littered, empty field and right away, I was drawn in with the manner of death, social status, gender and connection to the lead detective, Jeff Strickland. Also in keeping with the genre’s model form, I received a shock at the end. I
Jewel Brodie
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Partners in Crime was a suspenseful book that kept me on the edge of my seat. I found myself interrogating every potential suspect in an attempt to identify the murderer and to assist homicide detective Jeff Strickland in the investigation.

James Reid, the author, did a great job of incorporating unique twists and turns that challenged my initial assumptions while intensifying my desire to solve the murder mystery. No character was exempt from my scrutiny, no matter what role they played in the
Evita Broughton
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fantastic! I was up all night reading because I literally couldn't put it down; I just had to know what happened. Mr. Reid does a masterful job of weaving together a suspenseful, nuanced and realistic story; nothing is as it seems and each character will have you shaking your head in disbelief throughout this page-turner. "Partners in Crime," is a thrilling debut by Mr. Reid and a welcome addition to the crime-suspense genre; I can't wait to see what else he has in store.
Lashonda Cooks
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I opened Reid's Partners in Crime and instantly got lost in the gritty, grueling, topsy-turvy world of a less than perfect homicide detective navigating politics in and out of the office to solve the murder of young Kanya. It was a fun ride, a rollercoaster plot with twists anchored only by Reid's magic with the English language. Not too flowery not crude, his intriguing diction and eclectic descriptions make the journey into Atlanta's underbelly one I can't wait to take again. Looking forward t ...more
Randi
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Partners in Crime by James Reid is a great read. This is not the genre I normally read so I was surprised to find that I could not put this book down. The story is gripping, full of plot twists and surprises. The premise is original and the author's extensive field research gives this story richness and a gritty believability. Homicide investigator Strickland is a man with flaws but he is a true crime fighter with heart. I look forward to Reid's next book which I hope will be released soon.
Patricia Gallant
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The mystery was good though I had my suspicions early on. The writing was okay. The chapters are short, which I like. However, the protagonist was not very likeable nor smart and I thought too many details were given about little things, and repeated. The events were very descriptive giving a very vivid picture of the action.

It's an easy read. Decide for yourself.
Sonya Wesley
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. There was just enough suspicion on everybody involved to keep you reading. it was well written and very easy to read. Super exciting that Mr. Reid was available to come join our book club to discuss.
Renecia Moore
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read! I am not typically a mystery reader, but this book kept me interested and in suspense. I can usually predict which direction a book or movie is going, but this one kept me guessing and wanting to read more. I look forward to reading other novels by James Reid.
Linda S
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
James Reid is an amazing author. I like how he set up the chapters. I was finding myself staying up late to read one more chapter. Just when you thought you knew the answer, you were wrong. I enjoyed this book and can't wait for his next book. You have a bright future Mr Reid.
Toni L.
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was right in my first review. The second half of the book
I kind of figured it out. It was a real good book.
Would recommend it to others to read.
Karenc
V.
Siufong
Kim Coomey
Apr 01, 2014
  • Sleeper Wakes (Blue Fire, #2)
  • Ghost on the Lake
  • Dracul (Dragon Eye Book 5)
  • One Step Closer
  • Let's Play in the Garden
  • The Kafka Society (Jack Madson #2)
  • Double Agent
  • Death Will Have Your Eyes
  • When White Fades to Black
  • Childhood Games
  • Kingdom Hill
  • Avaritia: A Fable
  • Undercover Marriage (Witness Protection, #6)
  • Crik
  • Numinous (A Dirge of Rood'ravil #1)
  • The 3-Day Reset: Restore Your Cravings for Healthy Foods in Three Easy, Empowering Days
  • The Full Ridiculous
  • Dazzled
James Reid is a Coast Guard veteran and product manager in Dallas, Texas. In his spare time he enjoys writing, photography, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and international travel with his wife.

He is currently working on his second novel.