Start by marking “Sanctum (Asylum, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sanctum (Asylum, #2)

Sanctum

(Asylum #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  13,885 ratings  ·  1,387 reviews
In this haunting, fast-paced sequel to the New York Times bestselling photo-illustrated novel Asylum, three teens must unlock some long-buried secrets from the past before the past comes back to get them first. Featuring found photographs, many from real vintage carnivals, Sanctum is a mind-bending reading experience that blurs the lines between past and present, genius an ...more
Published August 26th 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Sanctum, please sign up.
Brit What the heck? How did you get this vibe at all? There are no indications that Dan is gay or bi or pansexual. He has only described attraction to Abby…moreWhat the heck? How did you get this vibe at all? There are no indications that Dan is gay or bi or pansexual. He has only described attraction to Abby so at this time it appears he is straight (though it's plausible for him to be bi or pan while presenting/passing as straight [but there has been no indication of this]). Anyway, you can recognize that another person of the same sex is attractive or aesthetically pleasing without being gay.(less)
Kylee It's like a hypnotizing stone that you can control people with. If you are wondering what type of stone it is or what it is made of then I dont know

·  13,885 ratings  ·  1,387 reviews

Start your review of Sanctum (Asylum, #2)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sanctum (Asylum #2), (2014), Madeleine Roux
Dan and his friends have decided to return to the prep school in order to investigate the past summer's mysteries further, especially as someone is sending them creepy old pictures and GPS coordinates to abandoned houses near the Brookline Dorm. Dan is determined to explore these coordinates in order to end the torment once and for all. They discover that the carnival from the photos is hosted on campus and that's just where the horror begins.
تاریخ نخست
Caitlin
Sanctum, a holy or sacred place- what could be more sacred than possessing the power of your own true thoughts? Sanctum. It is both lock and key.

Actual rating: 1.5 stars. I absolutely despise giving such a low rating and a harsh review for a book I received as an ARC. However, it is in exchange for my honest opinion. Right? So here it goes:

Oh, the potential that this series had- and the complete disappointment that it was...

Sanctum continues Daniel Crawford and his two friend's journey to discov
Pinky
Apr 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Was this supposed to be a horror novel? Honestly, I didn't feel that way, it never gave me the creeps. I was so disappointed and I hoped that this series would get better. When I first saw this series, I thought that it would give me more scares. I thought it would be creepier than the Mara Dyer trilogy. But unfortunately, I was never scared. There were so many negative reviews but I wanted to read it anyway.

One of the reasons I didn't enjoy this novel was the writing style. For some reason, I
Ashley Daviau
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this series is good but this one is heaps better! Twice as scary (although still not really scary at all) and just fast-paced enough to keep you constantly turning the pages to find out what happens next. Normally I enjoy my horror books with a little more horror but this was beautifully creepy and kept me intrigued the whole way through. And I had forgotten how much of a cliffhanger it ends on! Well not really a cliffhanger but it leaves room for more and has me itching to pic ...more
Melissa Chung
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, asylums, ya-horror
Ohhh I'm so happy to say that this sequel didn't have the "sequel curse" on it. It was just as good as the first.

Let's go back to the first book really quick....Asylum is where we first meet Dan Crawford, Abby and Jordan. 3 unlikely teens to meet and become fast friends. Dan a History buff, particularly interested in psychiatry. Abby the artist and Jordan the math genius. They all meet in New Hampshire over the summer for a college prep summer course. They quickly find out bad things happen at t
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
1.5

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

***

So, I think the flipped table pretty much sums up my feelings, but I figure I out to give an explanation.

First off let me say that I wasn't in love with the first book, but I was interested enough, and curious enough, to continue. The first book did have some tense bits, and quite a few unanswered questions which I was hoping would be addressed in the follow-up.

Well, some of them were answered, but I found myself wishing I could go back and leave them open instead, 'cause I sor
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Sanctum is the sequel to the book Asylum in the Asylum series, a YA Horror collection.

I really enjoyed reading the book, I thought that the carnival scenario throughout the story held my interest and circuses do interest me when things aren't quite as they seem. Dan, Abby and Jordan all reunite in this book which takes place again at the Brookline Asylum. All of three of them have received in the mail photographs that send shivers up spines. To solve the mystery of what actually these photograp
Gelodevs
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What better way to scare us than clowns.
Review to come
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“Silence gave the shadows and the darkness power”

It wasn't nearly as good as the first but it was still a decent little ghost story/mystery.

This book picks up a couple months after Asylum. The main characters from the first novel are back together again, after being distant during their time apart. They come together again because they all receive photos with cryptic messages and they decide they need to go back to the school and try to solve the mystery of what is going on.

I read
Maria ☾ ⋆
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK BLEW MY MIND!!
Megan Johnson
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Sana
2 1/2 stars.

Well I liked this way better than the first book. This book was more gripping and interesting to read than the last one. Though it was not creepy or horrific at all for me. I was hoping there would be more horror and creepiness, but eh whatever.

When Abby, Jordon, and Dan start receiving creepy photos and Dan visiting Felix, they must go back to the campus and get this shit done with once and for all so they can move on with their lives.

I feel like this book would have been better
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4/5

"You see things you shouldn't be able to see.
You know things you shouldn't be able to know."

The first one was slightly better than this one, especially with the photos.
I enjoyed this book a lot either way but that touch of creepiness that the pics should add, was kinda lost in the sequel.
In fact I found the pics a little too disconnected sometimes...

The adventure of our trio Dan, Abby and Jordan continues, with new people and a new mystery!
It's not scary at all if you're wondering BUT if
Samantha Pedroza
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Could not put these two books down. This one definitely creeped me out more than the first. It was fast paced and the three main characters are loveable! I did think the circus would play a bigger roll in the book and have more of a mystery to it but I found it to be simple and almost unnecessary. There were still more unanswered questions and holes but other than that I enjoyed myself. The idea of a cult terrified me and although I saw it coming im glad one character pulled thru so to speak. Gr ...more
Taylor Knight
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I read Asylum a couple of year ago and I thought it was okay. I didn't love it but I couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like. I feel the exact same with Sanctum.

I'm really not sure what about this book I didn't like. It wasn't the writing style but kinda was, it wasn't the characters but it kinda was, it wasn't the plot but it kinda was. It was just an overall... good.
I felt like as a critical reader, I had to turn off the critical part of my brain so I could get though this book. A lot of
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wanting another scary read for this Halloween, I thought a take a dive back in the asylum.

Plot: This story still follows Dan and his crazy past or rather his relatives. This time it circus time. With more crazy people telling Daniel things and Daniel following his past, things get crazier and crazier.

Circus: This time Daniel is being stalked with old creepy circus photos. There were a few that made the hairs raise on my arm. Seriously creepy. I like how well the plot tied into the circus and the
Jessica
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
”Since whatever we’re about to do will probably get us killed, I want to go on record now saying I was right about the boat shoes,” Jordan whispered.

Jordan’s my favorite. He had me laughing throughout this book.

Now, I have to admit I read the first book a long time ago and I wish I would have reread it before reading this one. I was confused almost the entire time. I usually don’t like when authors repeat EVERYTHING that happened in the previous story, but I wouldn’t have minded a bit more hint
Clare
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sanctum by Madeleine Roux is absolutely fantastic, and I won't hesitate in saying that I like it a lot better than the first book, Asylum. Or at least, I enjoyed it a lot more, with its quirky carnival scenes, haunted frat houses, and the suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat.
Dan, Abby, and Jordan have returned to Brookline, the abandoned asylum that sits on the campus of their college, where in the summer before, they spent hours together studying and discovering the secrets of the buil
Courtney
Not as creepy as the first book (which wasn't all that creepy itself).
It was another fast-paced adventure, with more ghosts/hallucinations and an unnerving secret society that makes it's debut. I didn't really find myself emotionally invested in any of the characters, even Dan and co. from the first book, so there wasn't a real drive to keep reading and find out what happened next, but it was still entertaining enough to keep me reading.

Not a favourite I'd re-read over and over again, but it m
Nicole Alycia
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so out there. But it was so good.
So as not to spoil anything, I like how they wrapped up the whole possession thing from the first book. I know it's supposed to be a creepy ghost story but I didn't really like the whole possession thing.
I loved how eerie this book was! It was the perfect read for Halloween night. A group of kids actually scared the crap out of me because I was reading a creepy part and all of a sudden they were shouting trick-or-treat through the door!
All in all
Trisha
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
"Sanctum, a holy or sacred place. What could be more sacred than possessing the power of your own true thoughts? Sanctum. It is both lock and key."

Interesting 2nd installment of the Asylum series. It did a great job of intermingling creepy descriptions and spooky old circus photos. The combo made for an entertaining story.
Cassie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5

“Sanctum, a holy or sacred place—what could be more sacred than possessing the power of your own true thoughts? Sanctum. It is both lock and key.”

this book was good, but i didn’t enjoy it as much as i did the first one. regardless, i will read the final book soon. i really love dan, jordan, and abby. they’re quite the trio. jordan is so funny?? i swear i bust a lung whenever he speaks. dan is such a fighter, let me protect him for life. and abby is so sweet and considerate.

overall, i’m
BookishStitcher
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, creepy, and quick read. Sanctum is the second novel in a YA series called Asylum, it follows a group of friends who seek to uncover dark secrets from the past. Each of the novels in this series contain eerie pictures to help carry the plot along. I particularly love books that have this format because I'm a very visual person. I'm excited to read the third one, but will be waiting until October/Halloween time because this book series is perfect for that.
Amber J
It was a great addition to the series. As with the first book, it was a quick and easy read. The pictures were amazing, but it still didn't really have that scare factor. Although it was more so with this one than with Asylum.

The twists and turns in the mystery part of the story was great as well and I really didn't see it coming. Some of the story was in my opinion a bit far fetched and even the things the characters guess seem to be reaching. Still it was fun and entertaining to read. I would
Regina Foo
I read Asylum last year and I rated it a 5 stars because of unexpected twists and turns. Most importantly, I felt creepy when I read that book. But now, I'm disappointed by the sequel.

The story of Sanctum continues after Dan Crawford, Abby and Jordan went back home after attending the New Hampshire College Prep, a summer program. They thought they're able to move on after what happened at the Brookline asylum. Everything changes when they receive creepy photos and a clue to help them solve the p
Carrie
It was interesting but not as good as the first book in the series.
Tiffy
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great sequel to Asylum this book was a quick easy read that had me reading quickly to figure out what the hell was happening. With its creepy pictures this makes for a nice spooky read.
Cindee
I really loved this book the photos inside the book really set the tone very well so this book had a really creepy atmosphere to it. I liked the the characters even more in this book especially Dan,Abby and Jordan they were really well written characters that were well thought out. I really liked Dan's struggles and how he deals with all of the things happening to him and how he feels he just has to find out more I found the character to be really interesting to read about. I really loved the pl ...more
Mindy (Naughty Book Snitch)
BUY THE BOOK or borrow it from the library

I like this one, but I feel like it took a long time to get to the point. Then is was all over so quickly.

description

Well, Im off to start the next one in the series.

Mehsi
I finally decided to read this book, I know that in my review for book 1 I said that I didn't feel the need for another book, and that I probably wouldn't read it. But after a sudden urge for stories about asylums and spooky stuff, I decided to pick this one up and read it. And boy, I am glad I did. This book was even better than the first one in this series.

This won’t be a terribly long review, just a short one to express my feelings. I just don’t want to spoil all the stuff that happens in her

• Harmony House
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
  • Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
  • وسوسه (مرزهای در هم شکسته، #1)
  • Paisajes de pesadilla
  • The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall
  • The Dead House (The Dead House #1)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
  • Posdata: te quiero
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • The Merciless II: The Exorcism of Sofia Flores (The Merciless, #2)
  • Foukneš do pěny
  • The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1)
  • Kawa z kardamonem
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • Dead Rules
New York Times Bestselling Author of the ASYLUM series, Allison Hewitt Is Trapped, Sadie Walker Is Stranded and the upcoming House of Furies series.

MADELEINE ROUX received her BA in Creative Writing and Acting from Beloit College in 2008. In the spring of 2009, Madeleine completed an Honors Term at Beloit College, proposing, writing and presenting a full-length historical fiction novel. Shortly af

Asylum (3 books)