Start by marking “Obsidian Eyes” as Want to Read:
Obsidian Eyes

Obsidian Eyes

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  309 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
1836, a world of light and dark, noble and guild. The two spheres intersect when seventeen-year-old Allie Donovan is placed at the aristocratic St Matthews Academy. More at ease with a blade than a needle, she finds herself ostracised by the girls and stalked by a Scottish lord intent on learning why she is among them.

She begins to suspect the underlying reasons when soldi
ebook
Published March 24th 2014 by Curiosity Quills (first published March 22nd 2014)

Diantha Jones
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Originally posted at DJ's Book Corner

I'll admit it up front. I'm going off of a bias here. I'm an A.W. Exley fan NO DOUBT...and that's the problem. I liked Obsidian Eyes, but my heart belongs to Exley's Artifact Hunters series. So yeah, I'm a little bit prejudiced.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this book. A.W. has some serious composition skills and reading anything she writes is always a pleasure. My issues with this book are strictly personal and have absolutely nothing to do with its execution
A.W. Exley
Nov 17, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, egypt
This is an upper YA steampunk novel and contains a whole new cast of characters!
Allie is born into a guild family, but doesn't want to be bound by blood ties.
Jared and Connor are Scottish cousins. One as closed as the other is open, and who doesn't love a Scottish burr? :)
Eloise, a biological genius who reanimates frogs on her desk and chaffs against society's expectations of a lady.
Zeb a mechanical genius who can make anything out of spare parts. He and Eloise would make creepy little cyborgs t
Ashley (Bound to Love YA)
This is marketed as a Steampunk adventure – but let’s be clear: This is a YA romance. Any action that takes place in this book directly corresponds to the romantic moment that will derive from said action, not from any sense of plot or greater purpose. I’m not saying this in a negative way – I love a good romance as much as anyone – but when a blurb promises me a blade-toting heroine, I want to see much more swashbuckling and swordplay.

What went well: The pacing is fast and the wit is faster. I
Erica
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Let me start off by saying that I read the description and jumped at the chance to review a steampunk adventure story. It had a mechanical kitty on the cover which made me squeal. I was convinced this was an adventure tale I would love. However, that is not what this book is. There is steampunk, but this is a YA romance, which is not a genre that I prefer. Therefore, my complaints are many. My rating is based on how I perceive the writing itself and how well I think someone who does enjoy this g ...more
Tiffany Michele (BookAndCoffeeAddict)
It’s 1836 and Allie Donovan is a new student at St Matthews Academy, an aristocratic English boarding school with a unique curriculum, where she doesn’t exactly fit in among the high born students. Allie is guild born, meaning she was born into one of the four guilds that make up society’s underworld: The Runners (thieves), Skin Dancers (assassins), Grim Reapers (war profiteers), or Whisperers (spies) – but she’s very tight lipped about which one it is she belongs to. Allie’s been sent to St. Ma ...more
Jeff Crosby
I needed something light and fluffy. This hit the target. Here's what you get: a lethal heroine, an equally lethal boyfriend, a group of vapid girls, an exclusive boarding school (where our heroine is out of place), airships, throwing stars, horses, picnics, brilliant nerds, blades, clockwork devices, underworld guilds, secret agents, and corsets. Even better, here's whats missing: vampires, zombies, and all the other supernatural crap.

The plot is a kidnapping. The underlying purpose unclear. Th
Pauline Creeden
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Interesting characters with great chemistry and an exciting alternate universe. I really really hope that a sequel is in the works as I would love to see more from these characters!
SARIT
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I must admit that usually i don't fall many times before to dystopian/steam-punk genre, but as I saw Obsidian Eyes cover I just fell in love . It is so beautiful and I had to read the blurb and all the rest is history... I couldn't stop reading and I must sat that now I want to experience more from A.W. Exley books. The action and the imaginary world that she created and the way the characters seem to leap off from the pages is a real fun. Each character,
SARIT
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Sofia Li
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, hard-copy
This book was part of a blog tour so check by my blog and. The rest of the stops at

I just want to say something and get it out of the way before I start this review. I freaking LOVED Pbsidian Eyes. *flails* #thefeels all that good stuff you would usually put in a tweet to express your inexplicable love for a book.

Anyway, as you may know, I sign up for A LOT of blog tours, and sometimes life gets in the way, and I'm not able to read and review the book by my date, or I don't like it enough to g
Danielle Young
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In Obsidian Eyes we are delivered right into a world of intrigue, nobles, guilds and danger. Allie, a seventeen-year-old with a big secret is thrust into the world of nobility, at St. Matthews Academy. Where Allie sticks out like a beacon of light in the darkness. In the midst of being bullied by those that see themselves as superior, Allie finds friends in mysterious places and with people who will match her both intellectually and physically. On a mission for the guild, Allie must discover the ...more
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
A diverse narrative:

What set out to be a thriller, ‘Obsidian Eyes’ evolves to incorporate the fantastical, romance and history. Many a time I forgot that this was set in the 1800s and this is definitely why I found this such a diverse narrative. However, I don’t think Exley quite pulls it off as these different genres don’t always successfully fuse together in the plot.

This book reminded me of films such as ‘The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen’ where it is set in the past but has very modern f
Farrah
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, lovely, and action packed YA romance, Obsidian Eyes was a fantastic read. I absolutely loved this book! It was full of secrets, romance, thrills, and I loved every bit of it.

Allie was a lovely heroine. She was a total badass. She was strong, clever, and could fight like nobody's business. There was more to her than it seems at first glance, with all the secrets she keeps. I really liked her. She was a wonderful character.

Jared was the love interest and he was amazing. With how strong-wi
Nicky Peacock
I do like a bit Steampunk. And a YA steampunk novel has the potential to be amazing. Obsidian Eyes was, for me, a little hard to get into. It felt like I was thrust into this new world pretty quickly and given quite a large amount of information in the beginning to find my way. I did enjoy the book, once I got into it – however I’m quite an impatient reader and if this hadn’t been for a tour I might have given up on it sooner, and therefore missed out.

The characters were very YA, and although th
Kayla West
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books that are different. Books that have their own personality. Books that do not sound generic or 'been there done that'. So when I read the blurb of this one before reading it, I immediately knew this was one worth the read. It also kind of helped that I totally fell in love with the feline-looking creature on the cover. (Don't judge me...It's cuteness cannot be helped...)

I do not normally use the word exquisite when doing reviews. But in some cases it is the exact word that best fits
Tiffany
This is the first I have read anything by this author for young adults and may indeed be her first foray into this genre. I absolutely loved The Artifact Hunter’s series that she is writing so I thought I would try this one. I got it through the Amazon Prime loaning program so I didn’t actually pay for it and I am glad because I really didn’t love it. I like the premise but the execution was off.

The world is split into people who belong either to the nobles or the guild. This book follows two te
Skye Hegyes
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
As I have never read steampunk before, I didn't know what to expect of this book. All I knew was that the cover looked interesting, the description looked interesting, and I wanted to read it.

It surprised me how well I understood the underlying mechanics mentioned throughout the tale. I am not a technological person except on the simplest of forms, and to understand the technological details included in this novel excited me. The book is rich with British and Scottish culture while including jus
Wendy
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say that I was simply spellbound by this book and think that it will be a terrific series. It is set in the late 1800's but NOT the kind you know about. Not only do you have a great lead character, Alli, that totally kicks butt and is whitty too but you have her side kicks that are riding the coat tails of Dr. Frankenstein himself! I love how the author twisted this story and having it set with 17 year olds will help captivate the young reader, as well as the (hrumphh) older ones ...more
Tnt Reviews
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book. This was the first time I’ve read the steampunk genre, and I was blown away. I loved the characters. Allie, guild born, was so confident in her abilities. Jared, the highest ranking noble at St. Matthews Academy, was frustrating. I hated that he seemed to string Allie along. I mean, honestly, if you’re promised to someone, you shouldn’t be flirting with someone else. I also loved Eloise and Zeb, the academics in t
Erika Zini
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
La mia recensione su Wonderful Monster:

Se già l’intrigante copertina non vi avesse catturato (quella specie di gatto meccanico mi piace da impazzire), lo farà certamente la scrittura di A.W. Exley che in questo libro è riuscita a inanellare una serie di eventi tali e scritti in maniera così snella da rendere la lettura un “page turner”, un libro che fai fatica a posare per quanto vuoi sapere come va avanti.

La protagonista, Allie, ha solo 17 anni ma ha le idee molto chiare: è intelligente, forte,
Henriette
not bad. nice characters. classical steampunk setting. New element of living mechanical creatures thanks to meteorite giving them life. However, this book takes place in a school setting and not a lot is happening, except for a Romeo and Juliet love story with them being from different classes and him already being engaged to the 19th century counterpart of the cruel cheerleader and her cronies. while there they stumble upon a plot involving the guilds and are tasked with undercover work by the ...more
Diane
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy to read and review. Great book. I couldn’t put it down. I love the characters and the world that A.W. has created. We are introduced to the main character Allie. She is a mystery to the others around her. We are drawn into her world as she starts her life at the academy and meets Jared and the others. For her, everything is not as it would seem. She becomes suspicious once she is asked to betray her friends by turning one of them over to the guild. I highly recommend it to othe ...more
Jemi Fraser
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! A great steampunk world with the English/Scottish bases contrasting with the Egyptian influence. Loved the complex society of nobles and guilds - intriguing without being overwhelming. And the characters are awesome! Allie & Jared are so well written. Their backgrounds and experiences colour their actions beautifully and watching them grow and learn to trust and take risks is such fun. A thoroughly enjoyable read!
Meghan
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
tragically boring for ya steampunk. and the male lead is a douche bag. not the kind of tawdry treat you want young girls romanticizing about! hey let's tart out with this guy who cheats on his fiancee a lot. oh, but he already had her, so he is over it and ready to deflower a new girl. but this time it's love. really. well, except for the mini make out session, again with fiancee. oops. I mean really! is this all we want girls to aspire too?
Bill Tillman
Physician Eyes

Wow, a first rate steampunk adventure. Who would love Weasel the mechanical ninja kitten? Our physician eyed heroine Allie and her handsome Lord Jered and his cousin Duncan a couple of Scots bent on tearing up the world. Lord Lithgow and his son Zeb are the evil genius' making the world's first guided missile and running from the Guild which is after their inventions.
Sylvia
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. Nice and relaxed to read between series.
It took me one day to read.
I liked the characters but not all problems are solved at the end, so I expect there has to be more. If/When there are other parts with Allie I will be reading them. Allie was a good heroin. She is sexy, strong (as in fighting strong) and very easy to feel for.

Diane Lang
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! It is simply loads of fun, a nice blend of intrigue, humor and interesting characters. The only drawback was it ended too soon because I'm dying to find out what happens next to Allie, Jared and their friends.

A. W. Exley does a wonderful job with her steampunk world building. Her other books are equally enticing. :-)
Watergirl
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What?

The book did not flow and there were inconsistencies. I liked Allie who was well developed but still have no sense of Jared. I am definitely not going to continue this series if another book is written. It makes me wary of trying The Artifact Hunters though I was excited about that series.
Sean P.
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of steampunk novels but I must say I really enjoyed this book. I just want to know if and when the next book is going to come out. This one just ended leaving you wondering what happened/or is going to happen to Allie that it makes you want more.
Tracy Janik
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book. It ended a bit abruptly

It left me wanting more for sure, but I am a bit dissatisfied and lost. It's not a cliff hanger. It just ended. I feel like someone stole a chapter at the end.
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover updated 2 13 Sep 28, 2014 10:17PM
Steampunk, New We...: New YA steampunk just 99 cents 2 9 Mar 24, 2014 09:32PM
  • The WishKeeper (The Paragonia Chronicles, #1)
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen, #1)
  • The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)
  • Hex (The Evolution, #3)
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Dragonlove (Dragonfriend, #2)
  • Dragon Dreams (The Chronicles of Shadow and Light #1)
  • Broken Gates (The P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy #2)
  • The Devil You Know (Nick Englebrecht, #1)
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • The Darkest Tool
  • Storms of Lazarus (Shadows of Asphodel #2)
  • Blood Charged (Dragon Blood, #3)
  • The Light of Kerrindryr (The War of Memory Cycle, #1)
Books and writing have always been an enormous part of my life. I survived school by hiding out in the library, with several thousand fictional characters for company. At university, I overcame the boredom of studying accountancy by squeezing in Egyptology papers and learning to read hieroglyphics.

I write gaslamp and fantasy historical novels from my home in rural New Zealand.

More about A.W. Exley

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“looked up, a frown on his face. “That was a necessity. Our wardrobe needed defending from all the girls hiding in it.” Allie struggled to control her growing laughter. “Do tell, do you suffer many girls hiding in your furniture?” 0 likes
“was a quick learner. If Zeb was running, everyone should be running.” 0 likes