Start by marking “The Devil Takes a Bride (The Cabot Sisters, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Devil Takes a Bride (The Cabot Sisters, #2)

The Devil Takes a Bride

(The Cabot Sisters #2)

From powerful love to sizzling passion, Julia London always delivers an incomparable reading experience. Returning to her acclaimed Cabot Sisters series, we meet an earl who can only be tamed by one wicked lady…

A plan born of desperation…

Once the toast of society, Grace Cabot and her sisters now await the shame of losing high status and fine luxuries upon the death of th
Mass Market Paperback, 362 pages
Published January 27th 2015 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Takes a Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Takes a Bride

Zoe
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tops my "odd books" list, hands down.

I was confused. I was appalled. I was shocked.

And I decided to hold on to my kindle version of the book and put it on my keepers shelf. I am not certain how to explain it. If that isn't odd, I don't know what it is.

Warning: I have a lot to say about this book. Please proceed with caution.

I read the first book in the series, about the oldest Cabot sister, Honor Cabot, and hated her with a passion. The 2nd Cabot sister, Grace Cabot, is the heroine
Fani *loves angst*

Grace Cabot goes to Bath feeling the need to marry a husband as soon as possible, before the truth about her mother's madness comes out. She hatches a plan of convincing a young lord she rather fancies to join her in an empty shop, where she's sure they're to be discovered by others and thus forced to marry. Unfortunately for Grace -or rather fortunately as it turns out- it's not the young lord than falls into her plan, but his elder, stuffy brother, the Earl of Merryton. And thus their
Caz
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B- at AAR, but have rounded up to 4 stars.

Readers were introduced to the Cabot sisters in the first in this four-book series, The Trouble With Honor. The two eldest sisters – Honor and Grace – are only a year or so apart in age, and have both had a couple of seasons. Although beautiful, witty, and much sought-after, neither has accepted a proposal of marriage, having found the chase to be much more fun than settling on one particular suitor.

But now their stepfather is terminall
Juliana Philippa
5 stars
For the first time in his life, what he was feeling was love. Soft, asymmetrical, messy, imperfect love.
Thoughts. What a fantastic book! I absolutely loved it. I apparently have read 2 Julia London books, but it was years and years ago, so I didn't remember anything about her or her style as an author. Given this, it was actually unusual for me to pick this book, because based on the summary, it wouldn't be a book I would normally like. A popular, beautiful, society darling (not my favo
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Meh. I think I've only tried one other Julia London novel and felt rather the same about it. I appreciate that the author attempts a fair bit of uniqueness when it comes to her characters, but it just doesn't come off as entirely genuine...for the character or the time period. I think I've come to conclude that this author is also not for me.
[Aengell]
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely, lovely story!

Have I mentioned already that Julia London is becoming one of my favourite HR authors? I can't and won't categorize the feeling her stories evoke in me, but I know that there's a wide range, from making-me-laugh, comical situations to heart-warming romance and deeply felt emotions, with a good dose of angst.

This story was exactly that and so much more.

The heroine, Grace, was forceful, at the beginning a little bit childish, but she had good intentions and her good n
Farrah
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet, enjoyable read, The Fall of Grace was a lovely historical romance. I really liked this book and I enjoyed reading it.

Grace was a good heroine, though I was a bit torn about her. On one hand, she was strong and, once she had all the facts, she was a very understanding person. On the other, there were a few times where she somehow got into blaming Jeffrey for the situation (despite the fact that it was her fault) and she had moments where she seemed very shallow because she bemoaned marry
Ivy H
Order vs Disorder: That's what the subtitle to this novel should be. But it's a chiselled and sexy kind of "order" and an enchantingly spirited "disorder" that are portrayed in this novel via the H and heroine, respectively. Geoffrey the H is the wealthy and stuffy Earl of Merryton, but don't let the title fool you; this guy is not a happy camper. Geoffrey was raised in an environment where his autocratic father punished him severely and always forced him to live by the rules of order and conven ...more
Shauni
Originally reviewed for Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy.

In Book Two of her Cabot Sisters Series, Julia London tells a story of desperation, misunderstanding, redemption and yes love. She also gives us an excellent adventure and a story about two people who are forced into a marriage neither of them want.. and yet slowly manage to fall in love.

Grace Cabot needs to wed and needs to wed fast. Her life is petering on the edge and her entire family is facing ruin. Her stepfather is dead and
Valerie
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wouldn’t life be easier if everything was lined up just so? It might be, but would it drive you crazy inside?

Grace Cabot was a beautiful young lady of the ton, by rights she should have accepted an offer by now. Time was something she didn’t realize was running short until her step father died and her mother started to have some issues. The second oldest of four girls she knew she had to do something.

Lord Jeffrey Merryton kept things in his world very orderly. It was the only way he knew to kee
Heather
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In an attempt to save her mother and sisters from certain ruin, Grace Cabot decides to throw herself at a man so only she would be ruined. Unfortunately, her plan goes awry and she throws herself at the wrong man; Jeffrey, the Earl of Merryton.

Jeffrey, who was anything but merry, liked things a certain way, order and routine were paramount in his household. Until Grace moves in like a whirlwind, tearing through his life and his heart. Can he trust her enough to tell her his secret? A secret that
Lover of Romance
Summary
Grace Cabot and her sisters are put in a horrible position, and she knows that she will need to marry before all of England learns that their mother is mad. Their mother suffered an accident a couple of years previous, and her mind has deteriorated, and it is growing steadily worse. Now she has decided that she needs to take matters in her own hands. So she plans on seducing a scoundrel, that would make an amiable husband. But her plan goes awry, when she seduces his older brother, the E
Monique
I received this book as an e-ARC free from Netgalley. Below is my review.

I fell into this series in a very roundabout way. While I was at the RT convention in New Orleans, a couple other ladies really talked up London's books. So, I dropped by and got The Trouble with Honor from her. It took me a while before I read it, but I really liked it.

If you've read The Trouble with Honor and liked it, this is nothing at all like that one. Where Honor is funny and risque and madcap, The Devil Takes a Brid
Elis Madison
In the second of the Cabot sisters series, we meet Grace. Seems the four sisters are beautiful, popular, and supposedly well-dowered--all the things that ought to make them great marriage prospects. Except...

Mum's a bit nuts. And...

The family fortunes aren't what they appear to be.

Add to this, their dear brother is marrying a woman who wants to send the girls and their nutty mom off to live somewhere far, far away, making it even more certain that they'll all end their days as spinsters.

Grace's
Arshia
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I read Grace's letter to Honor in the previous book I was worried and waiting on tenterhooks for this book! Finally NetGalley gave me a DRC to review and it was glorious!! Grace and Honor's plans were so childish and selfish and for Grace the repercussions were tougher. She married the wrong man after being caught in a compromising position with him. Jeffery Donovan, Lord Merryton leads a solitary life. He has OCD and he thinks there's something wrong with him. The poor man was brought up b ...more
Rebecca Minto
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Note: I received an ARC for review

This book is a sexy, complex story full of both humor and poignant emotion. The story had me laughing uproariously in the beginning. Normally, misunderstandings between hero/heroine tend to be overdone and totally annoying, but Julie London wrote this story in such a skilled way that the confusion was hilarious. There were moments where I desperately wanted to dub Jeffrey (the hero) a jerk, but I just couldn't. He was so sweetly clueless about women as to be hys
Kerry
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can absolutely see this happening with great amusement as women make the decisions for themselves. The lengths we go to to protect family. Yet some of the scrapes we get ourselves into when things don't go accordingly to plan can definitely work out in the end if we let them. Growing up is hard when you have expectations, let alone no expectations. I imagine there were those who did behave like this then to protect and get what they had to survive. Yet, I can not fault them for fighting and ma ...more
Dottie Legatos
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second of the Cabot Sisters series, we meet Grace, who like her sister Honor, is trying to save her family from scandal and ruin due to their Mom's mental deterioration, by marrying well. Grace's plan, however, goes awry when she "traps" the wrong man in a compromising situation. Jeffrey, the Earl of Merryton, has no desire to be married. He himself is tortured by "demons" from his childhood, growing up with a controlling father who was never pleased with Jeffrey. He cannot bear the poss ...more
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of The Devil Takes a Bride from Harlequin HQN via Netgalley in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

The Devil Takes a Bride is a fun and hot story about a strong-willed woman and a seemingly ice-cold man who find themselves married to avoid scandal...

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews

COYER scavenger hunt item #46:Celebrate 2015 - read a book that's number in the series can be made from only the numbers in 2015.
Kimia Safavi
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Devil Takes a Bride is the 4th book I read by Julia London and her writing is great with interesting plots.

This is an enjoyable read, I really like the heroine but it took me a while to like the hero. From the title of the book I thought the hero would be a scoundrel and rake, but his character was a surprise for me.
This book had too many hot scenes for a historical romance, still an enjoyable read.
Becca
Aug 25, 2015 marked it as dnf
Shelves: too-graphic
This author has interesting stories, but like another book I read of hers, this one had too many sex scenes. I read romance novels to see the characters fall in love, not fall into bed over and over again. Absolutely gorgeous cover, and a storyline I was intrigued by, but it was just bogged down by too many sex scenes. This felt more like an erotic romance than historical.
Keri
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good with bits of light and dark that kept the story going for me. I really liked the Cabot sisters and liked that nothing was swept under the rug. Like I need another series to read!! Oh my aching TBR!!!
Bedoor Khalaf
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A fairy good book but I felt that there weren’t as many events as the first book about Honor Cabot. I didn’t really like Jeffery much although his struggle seemed portrayed very well by the author. The book reminded me of beauty and the beast with a lot of graphical intimacies I didn’t really find necessary at times.
Jessa
3.5ish. I found it interesting that Geoffrey suffered from severe OCD, but of course it went untreated or acknowledged for what it was in these historical times.
Kris Rafferty
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book reminds me of romances written in the 80s but the flaws are DEFINITELY 21st Century. I can’t believe I read this late. I’m going to be useless in the morning.
Liz F
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley.

I think this is the first Julia London book I've read but I feel like I've seen her stuff all over the place. She has to be fairly prolific because I definitely recognized her name. I'm glad I gave her a shot and I would like to read more of her books in the future. But I struggled with how to rate this book. There were parts of it that were pretty good but some parts were not as much fun.

I would say that I didn't quite like Grace, the heroine,
SidneyKay

Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 24, 2015 10:05AM

• The Improper Bride (Sisters of Scandal, #5)
  • If the Viscount Falls (The Duke's Men, #4)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • The Silent Duke (The 1797 Club, #4)
  • The Portrait
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • A Sinful Deception (Breconridge Brothers, #2)
  • Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5)
  • I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (The Lords of Worth, #1)
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)
  • The Governess Club: Sara (The Governess Club, #3)
  • Her Protector's Pleasure (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Forever a Lord (The Rumor, #3)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
  • The Lady Who Loved Him (The Brethren, #2)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
Julia London is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of more than two dozen romantic fiction novels. She is the author of the popular historical romance series, the Cabot Sisters, including The Trouble with Honor, The Devil Takes a Bride, and The Scoundrel and the Debutante. She is also the author of several contemporary romances, including Homecoming Ranch, Return to Homecoming R ...more

The Cabot Sisters (3 books)
  • The Trouble With Honor (The Cabot Sisters, #1)
  • The Scoundrel and the Debutante (The Cabot Sisters, #3)